GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
us3rnam3

Bronze

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by us3rnam3 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:22 pm

I have a question about student rankings. I was told they don't rank students like other schools so how does that work for employment? Dont some people only interview you if you're a certain rank in you're class?

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:32 pm

us3rnam3 wrote:I have a question about student rankings. I was told they don't rank students like other schools so how does that work for employment? Dont some people only interview you if you're a certain rank in you're class?
I don't know if such places really exist but I assume that if they do, they wouldn't be hiring lowly GULC students anyway

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:51 pm

Hand wrote:
us3rnam3 wrote:I have a question about student rankings. I was told they don't rank students like other schools so how does that work for employment? Dont some people only interview you if you're a certain rank in you're class?
I don't know if such places really exist but I assume that if they do, they wouldn't be hiring lowly GULC students anyway
Such places do exist, and they do hire GULC students, however its not like "only hires people who are ranked 85th or above in their class" its "only hires people who are top 15%" or top third or whatever. GULC publishes the GPA cutoffs for top 1/3 of the class, top 15% and top 10% and informs you if you are in the top 5%. Generally speaking a lot of the places that claim to restrict hiring by class % are actually bsing you, however, and the actually grade selective places are just known for being grade selective (or if its a law firm at EIW they will likely have a grade history) and won't take you if your GPA sucks.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:54 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Hand wrote:
Such places do exist, and they do hire GULC students, however its not like "only hires people who are ranked 85th or above in their class" its "only hires people who are top 15%" or top third or whatever. GULC publishes the GPA cutoffs for top 1/3 of the class, top 15% and top 10% and informs you if you are in the top 5%. Generally speaking a lot of the places that claim to restrict hiring by class % are actually bsing you, however, and the actually grade selective places are just known for being grade selective (or if its a law firm at EIW they will likely have a grade history) and won't take you if your GPA sucks.
stop giving these goobers hope, now we're not even T14 anymore there will just be a hunger games-like exercise for jobs

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:09 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:41 pm

Hand wrote:Any 3Ls who are in possession of a good outline for Spann's Con Law II?
Bump

jlc058

Bronze

Post by jlc058 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:42 pm

usn26 wrote:
OtisRedding24 wrote:
usn26 wrote:
OtisRedding24 wrote:Considering attending GULC this fall. Going the LRAP/public interest route.

I need to stay and work in the city that I go to school in after graduation. I hear the public interest job market in DC is really tough. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences to share?
Why do you need to stay in your law school city after graduating? What are your other options?

Personal reasons. My SO is moving with me and leaving a good job so the deal we made is we won't move again after school. Also considering Fordham, UNC (in state), Boulder, Tulane.
If any of those options are free I'd probably go with that. Otherwise, depending on how much you trust IBR/PSLF to be around for you, GULC would be fine. Given the new administration and IBR/PSLF being terrible policy anyway I wouldn't feel great about going to Georgetown planning to do LRAP (although I am, I don't feel great, I did it anyway, and would do it again). *IF* the LRAP deal holds until your debt is forgiven it's a really fantastic deal though. If if if if if.

Job-wise, a lot depends on what kind of PI you mean. But there are a LOT of PI jobs in the DMV.
I know this was a while ago but it came up in my search- at admitted students day I asked if PSLF was done away with would LRAP still exist in the same capacity and the financial aid folks said yep- so even though I fully expect PSLF to be a goner way before I am even close to graduating I was still factoring in LRAP to my decision, just borrowing conservatively enough that after ten years of Georgetown's payments there would be minimal for me to pay back on my own. You think they wont keep LRAP at all without PSLF?

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:41 pm

jlc058 wrote:I know this was a while ago but it came up in my search- at admitted students day I asked if PSLF was done away with would LRAP still exist in the same capacity and the financial aid folks said yep- so even though I fully expect PSLF to be a goner way before I am even close to graduating I was still factoring in LRAP to my decision, just borrowing conservatively enough that after ten years of Georgetown's payments there would be minimal for me to pay back on my own. You think they wont keep LRAP at all without PSLF?
I would be shocked if they didn't keep LRAP in some capacity. Sans PSLF it'd more likely transition to be a way to help people with significant debt pay it off outright on lower salaries than the gravy train for the massively indebted that it is currently set up as.

lawlzi

New

Post by lawlzi » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:01 pm

missie wrote:
lawlzi wrote:Anyone have an outline for any of these profs: Hyman- Civ Pro; Mikhail- Con Law; or Super- Property? Struggling to find anyone with these profs.
+1 halpp
Bump

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

missie

New

Post by missie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:27 pm

Does anyone know when public service summer funding is dispersed?

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:20 am

missie wrote:Does anyone know when public service summer funding is dispersed?
Last year it came in three installments over a six-week period, with the first installment a couple of weeks after the end of the exam period

missie

New

Post by missie » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:13 am

Hand wrote:
missie wrote:Does anyone know when public service summer funding is dispersed?
Last year it came in three installments over a six-week period, with the first installment a couple of weeks after the end of the exam period
Thanks!

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:30 pm

Anyone in here apply ED and receive need-based fin aid? I know ED eliminates your bargaining position for schollys but I'm prolly not in the running for those as I'm shaping up to be a super splitter. I am broke as a joke though, and I'm financially independent from my parents and they do okay but don't make a ton of $ and have three other kids so I'm thinking I will be able to get at least some need-based fin aid but I'm worried that maybe applying ED will negatively affect that as well.

I will be doing visits as the year progresses but as of now GULC is my #1 if I can get in, and ED would give me a much-needed leg up for admissions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:37 pm

DaydreamNation wrote:Anyone in here apply ED and receive need-based fin aid? I know ED eliminates your bargaining position for schollys but I'm prolly not in the running for those as I'm shaping up to be a super splitter. I am broke as a joke though, and I'm financially independent from my parents and they do okay but don't make a ton of $ and have three other kids so I'm thinking I will be able to get at least some need-based fin aid but I'm worried that maybe applying ED will negatively affect that as well.

I will be doing visits as the year progresses but as of now GULC is my #1 if I can get in, and ED would give me a much-needed leg up for admissions.
though I can't speak to need aid, being a splitter doesn't eliminate your chances of merit scholarships and EDing still seems like a pretty poor decision

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:47 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
DaydreamNation wrote:Anyone in here apply ED and receive need-based fin aid? I know ED eliminates your bargaining position for schollys but I'm prolly not in the running for those as I'm shaping up to be a super splitter. I am broke as a joke though, and I'm financially independent from my parents and they do okay but don't make a ton of $ and have three other kids so I'm thinking I will be able to get at least some need-based fin aid but I'm worried that maybe applying ED will negatively affect that as well.

though I can't speak to need aid, being a splitter doesn't eliminate your chances of merit scholarships and EDing still seems like a pretty poor decision
Okay awesome thanks. I'll check back in for more tips closer to the beginning of my cycle once I have my final LSAT score

PDX4343

Silver

Post by PDX4343 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:42 pm

Can anyone tell me when financial aid disbursements typically start happening for 1Ls?

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:57 am

About to dump some questions on you guys, sorry...

1) Can you get "experiential" credit for pretty much any legal externship that you do during the school year? I understand that in order to get academic credit you need to sign up for a companion 1-credit seminar course -- can you still add something that to your schedule once September rolls around, or do you have to register for everything in the Summer?

2) Super dumb question: what is the difference between Moot Court and Mock Trial? Also if I didn't participate in MC in Spring semester of 1L, can I still participate during 2L/3L?

3) What's the deal with the deadline for Clinic sign-ups being so early? I haven't had an opportunity to really do much research on Clinics in general -- am I missing out on anything if I just wait until Spring of 2L to worry about that?

4) Any general 2L/3L scheduling tips that you'd like to share?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:08 am

2) Moot Court is like appellate law argumentation (GULC literally calls it the "appellate advocacy" team), Mock Trial is like trial level arguing about evidence and suchlike.

4) I and others I know successfully crammed our schedule into 2-3 days of classes. It made those particular days kind of suck, but having 4 day weekends or days off in the middle of the week pretty fucking sweet. Pay very close attention to requirements for 1 and 2 credit classes - some of them have you put in as much work as a 3 credit class and why even bother. Some will have you done after a couple weekends of class - much easier. The basic finance/accounting one they offer each semester is kind of useful for people with no finance background.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:47 am

PDX4343 wrote:Can anyone tell me when financial aid disbursements typically start happening for 1Ls?
during the week of orientation
ChristineBaskets wrote:1) Can you get "experiential" credit for pretty much any legal externship that you do during the school year? I understand that in order to get academic credit you need to sign up for a companion 1-credit seminar course -- can you still add something that to your schedule once September rolls around, or do you have to register for everything in the Summer?
you'll need to sign up for one of the externship seminar by the beginning of the semester if you want academic credit for doing an externship, but that can be done at the very end of august (or by december, for spring externships)
3) What's the deal with the deadline for Clinic sign-ups being so early? I haven't had an opportunity to really do much research on Clinics in general -- am I missing out on anything if I just wait until Spring of 2L to worry about that?
most people do clinic in 3L (myself included), and most clinics either only take 3Ls or strongly prefer 3Ls so I wouldn't think you're missing out on anything

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:33 am

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:37 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bronze

Post by 20171203 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Last edited by 20171203 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:16 pm

Gray wrote:Why the fuck did none of you 1Ls show up for journal tables.
The jig is up

Journals are pointless everything is pointless

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:33 pm

ChristineBaskets wrote:4) Any general 2L/3L scheduling tips that you'd like to share?
Similar to what Capitol said, my scheduling decisions were based (i) 5% on interest in class, (ii) 35% on grade curve (historical curve charts are the only benefit to being on a journal, and worth it for the Tax Lawyer due to the hilariously low amount of work required), and (iii) 60% on scheduling. I haven't had class on more than three days since 1L; usually did M-W or M, W and this semester did T-Th so I could get a full week off in February for the faculty retreat.

If I could do everything over again, biggest change I would make is loading up on credits 2L. I only took 12 credits in the fall because I was worried about the job search extending into the semester. Now I'm stuck taking 13 credits this semester as a 3L while many of my friends are taking 10 or less. To that end, I'd also save Demystifying Finance for second semester 3L.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:34 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote: I'd also save Demystifying Finance for second semester 3L.
Why?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”