GULC Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:00 pm

That's frustrating, was hoping to know sooner so I could use it as a writing sample for apps if it's not garbage

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 14413
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Capitol_Idea » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:21 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:That's frustrating, was hoping to know sooner so I could use it as a writing sample for apps if it's not garbage

If you meet with the professor, you can get a better idea of how your memo fares and what specifically can be done to improve it. If you're using it for applications where they might actually care (i.e. clerkships(?) but def not OCI), then you want to be doing this regardless of your grade/raw score.

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:31 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote: words

Do I not need to wait for the grade to do that though? I'm assuming with the whole blind grading thing the answer is yes

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 14413
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Capitol_Idea » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:34 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote: words

Do I not need to wait for the grade to do that though? I'm assuming with the whole blind grading thing the answer is yes

Wait your memos are blind-graded? How does that even work given that you've been working on them and (theoretically) getting feedback and advice throughout the semester on them? It was 3 years ago but I'm pretty sure there wasn't blind grading for my class.

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:40 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote: words

Do I not need to wait for the grade to do that though? I'm assuming with the whole blind grading thing the answer is yes

Wait your memos are blind-graded? How does that even work given that you've been working on them and (theoretically) getting feedback and advice throughout the semester on them? It was 3 years ago but I'm pretty sure there wasn't blind grading for my class.

We did 3 ungraded work on em with the professors/law fellow memos then this last week we had a graded memo that we had to work on completely independently and had like one week to do it

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 14413
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Capitol_Idea » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:43 pm

Wow that blows. I had one memo subject the whole time, but I think we had to change positions for the final or something.

Anyway, guess you'll have to wait til grades are out if they instituted the blind-grading thing.

What are you applying to that needs writing samples?

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:48 pm

At least one of the federal agencies I was looking at required it, I think treasury maybe?

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2187
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby BmoreOrLess » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:39 am

I can't remember our exact exam rules, but I imagine you can't even use it until grades come out? If so just apply and say you will provide a writting sample and grades when they come back.

Londonbear
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:19 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Londonbear » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:30 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:At least one of the federal agencies I was looking at required it, I think treasury maybe?


Unless the agencies you're applying to says you can't use edited work, why don't you use the memo you worked on with your law fellows?

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:23 am

Londonbear wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:At least one of the federal agencies I was looking at required it, I think treasury maybe?


Unless the agencies you're applying to says you can't use edited work, why don't you use the memo you worked on with your law fellows?


Because I put more effort into the graded one and seems better to me at least but I'd like confirmation of that

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Glasseyes » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:03 pm

Definitely don't do anything to disrupt the sanctity of the blind-graded memos. The registrar is both horribly incompetent and comically spiteful, so you want to avoid putting yourself in a position where she/they/it can ruin your life.

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 14413
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:16 pm

Glasseyes wrote:The registrar is both horribly incompetent and comically spiteful
God this is so true.

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1768
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:48 pm

Anyone have Katyal in the past? PM me!

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3771
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Hand » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:50 pm

JustHawkin wrote:Anyone have Katyal in the past? PM me!

I have Katyal in the future and would also appreciate any comments from folks who took con law I with him

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:45 pm

What's the earliest grades come out? Are they generally early or all last minute?

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 14413
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:54 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:What's the earliest grades come out? Are they generally early or all last minute?

Depends on the professor but in my experience like 90+% are at the very end and extremely few are early. So enjoy getting your grades at the end of January.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3771
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Hand » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:55 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:What's the earliest grades come out? Are they generally early or all last minute?

Depends on the professor but in my experience like 90+% are at the very end and extremely few are early. So enjoy getting your grades at the end of January.

FML

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:58 pm

Hand wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Depends on the professor but in my experience like 90+% are at the very end and extremely few are early. So enjoy getting your grades at the end of January.

FML

according to the registrar's site they're due the 15th so end of January would be quite upsetting

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3771
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Hand » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:00 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Hand wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Depends on the professor but in my experience like 90+% are at the very end and extremely few are early. So enjoy getting your grades at the end of January.

FML

according to the registrar's site they're due the 15th so end of January would be quite upsetting

maybe we should start a gulc grade waiters thread next month and draw out all the lurkers

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 14413
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:01 pm

'Due' means the prof has to get them in by then. Except for the several day grace period that profs absolutely use. And the whatever extra days they want to use because what the fuck are you gonna do to a tenured prof exactly? And then the registrar has to process them and put em online. And no one's working on the weekends of course.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 6869
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Gray » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:02 pm

I don't fucking want them ugghhh

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Glasseyes » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:20 pm

First semester grades for my section were all posted at once; definitely late January, probably later than the 20th.

Second semester grades also took a while (though not nearly as long as journal results), but my section's were distributed one class at a time over 2+ weeks. Welcome to Georgetown. Welcome to hell.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3771
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Hand » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:33 pm

Glasseyes wrote:Welcome to Georgetown. Welcome to hell.

This deserves to be on the wall in all the classrooms where the temperature is set to 90 degrees in the winter

User avatar
EzraFitz
Posts: 729
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby EzraFitz » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:34 pm

For me last year, the first semester they were all posted at 5 pm the Tuesday after they were due. In the spring, two came out noon the day of my last final (still have no idea how), and the rest came out 5 pm the Tuesday after they were due... i.e. who knows. Although GULC actually does fine professors $100/day for being late.

Hand wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:Welcome to Georgetown. Welcome to hell.

This deserves to be on the wall in all the classrooms where the temperature is set to 90 degrees in the winter


Damn 205

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Glasseyes » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:21 pm

Hand wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:Welcome to Georgetown. Welcome to hell.

This deserves to be on the wall in all the classrooms where the temperature is set to 90 degrees in the winter


Heat was cranked for my exam in 201 today. Way to make a shitty day worse. Thanks for all the memories, GULC




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests