GULC Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2838
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:28 pm

EzraFitz wrote:Commuted from Silver Spring half of last year, and it was actually fine. Come in early enough to get a metro seat and you have work time, and not too terrible traffic to deal with in terms of packed metros.
In terms of 1L networking, every callback and offer I had was from 1L networking. Didn't even need to do EIW. YMMV, but it was literally everything for me.


You were networking with firms? How does one go about this when outside of the ones coming to campus?

Idk I can't imagine firm lawyers being super interested in being cold emailed by a 1L asking to chat

schmooky
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:03 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby schmooky » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:35 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:Commuted from Silver Spring half of last year, and it was actually fine. Come in early enough to get a metro seat and you have work time, and not too terrible traffic to deal with in terms of packed metros.
In terms of 1L networking, every callback and offer I had was from 1L networking. Didn't even need to do EIW. YMMV, but it was literally everything for me.


You were networking with firms? How does one go about this when outside of the ones coming to campus?

Idk I can't imagine firm lawyers being super interested in being cold emailed by a 1L asking to chat


Georgetown alumni were surprisingly responsive.

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 13439
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Capitol_Idea » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:24 pm

schmooky wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:Commuted from Silver Spring half of last year, and it was actually fine. Come in early enough to get a metro seat and you have work time, and not too terrible traffic to deal with in terms of packed metros.
In terms of 1L networking, every callback and offer I had was from 1L networking. Didn't even need to do EIW. YMMV, but it was literally everything for me.


You were networking with firms? How does one go about this when outside of the ones coming to campus?

Idk I can't imagine firm lawyers being super interested in being cold emailed by a 1L asking to chat


Georgetown alumni were surprisingly responsive.
Yeah, some firms with a strong Georgetown alum presence really do well with 1L's who make the effort. I didn't do so as a 1L but my firm is all about GULC and I get the sense they'd look kindly on such interest.

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2838
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:44 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
schmooky wrote:Georgetown alumni were surprisingly responsive.
Yeah, some firms with a strong Georgetown alum presence really do well with 1L's who make the effort. I didn't do so as a 1L but my firm is all about GULC and I get the sense they'd look kindly on such interest.


I suppose I will make this a second semester activity then

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3694
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Hand » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:56 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:
schmooky wrote:Georgetown alumni were surprisingly responsive.
Yeah, some firms with a strong Georgetown alum presence really do well with 1L's who make the effort. I didn't do so as a 1L but my firm is all about GULC and I get the sense they'd look kindly on such interest.

I suppose I will make this a second semester activity then

^how I feel about all the things I should be doing tbh

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2176
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby BmoreOrLess » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:32 pm

You can also ask DC lawyers to put you in touch with their NYC or other market contacts if they're being big law. I did this often.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3694
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Hand » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:57 pm

2L and 3Ls who have experience with these professors and/or courses, please advise which of our 1L electives is most likely to not be a lot of work and/or most useful:

- Congress and the Administrative State – Professor Victoria Nourse
- Legislation and Regulation -- Professor William Buzbee
- The Regulatory State – Professor Eloise Pasachoff
- International Law I: Introduction to International Law (two sections) – Professor David Koplow; Professor David Stewart
- International Law, National Security, and Human Rights – Professor Mitt Regan

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Glasseyes » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:31 pm

Hand wrote:2L and 3Ls who have experience with these professors and/or courses, please advise which of our 1L electives is most likely to not be a lot of work and/or most useful:

- Congress and the Administrative State – Professor Victoria Nourse
- Legislation and Regulation -- Professor William Buzbee
- The Regulatory State – Professor Eloise Pasachoff
- International Law I: Introduction to International Law (two sections) – Professor David Koplow; Professor David Stewart
- International Law, National Security, and Human Rights – Professor Mitt Regan


I haven't taken any of those, so I can only go off general reputations (i.e., I should not be giving answers, but I will anyway).

- Pasachoff: Some people in my section took Reg State with Pasachoff and seemed to really love her. It's just a variation on Administrative Law, which is a course you should definitely take if you have any interest in staying in DC. I gather this was a great class but can't speak to the workload.

- Stewart v. Koplow: I was section 2, which meant we had all the GLS kids who were automatically funneled into Stewart's International Law class. Everyone complained about his rambling, disorganized storytelling approach to teaching. Again, no idea about the work load, but none of my friends that had that class liked it. Heard great things about Koplow's class, however. Personally I think International Law is a pretty stupid class, or at least an impractical one that sounds good on paper. Learning treaty law and untangling the morass of customary international law serves no practical function unless you're one of the 5 kids in the world who lands at the State Department, and chances are, you will not be. But hey, do whatcha gotta do.

- Regan: Virtually everyone I know is taking Regan's 2L Corporations class right now (besides me, because I took evidence instead); I hear very good things. Workload for corps sounds very manageable. Something tells me a 3 credit elective will be lighter than that in terms of reading.

- I know nothing about Nourse or Buzbee.

Someone with direct experience with any of the above can give better advice, but my thought process would be this: if there's any chance you might want to stay in DC, or if there's any chance you might end up doing something that could bump up against the government (like Securities Litigation or any kind of regulatory practice like communications, privacy, energy, consumer finance, environmental, food and drug, health law, etc), I would choose a variant of Admin Law. If I wanted a "fun" class (but not really fun, because you'll probably read about crimes against humanity and endless human suffering), I would take Regan's Intl Law, National Security, and Human Rights class. If you must take international law, I would take it with Koplow. And you didn't ask, but I would absolutely take one of the Week One classes if you still have the option. We had no choice, but it was a great way to snag a credit, and the format was much more fun / less boring than a typical doctrinal course.

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 13439
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:37 pm

I know none of these classes but as an exceptionally lazy 4E I am finally taking my 1L elective and will be taking the one with Regan because Mitt Regan. He's very easygoing and was an engaging/interesting professor for the two other classes I had with him.

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2838
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:51 pm

Do admin derivatives or international derivatives draw more gunners?

Seeing as I am a gunner and want to take regulatory state I assume that is the answer.

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 13439
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:16 pm

I hear that admin stuff draws gunners, international law draws the non-shit-givers.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 6651
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Gray » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:19 pm

Glasseyes wrote:- Stewart v. Koplow: I was section 2, which meant we had all the GLS kids who were automatically funneled into Stewart's International Law class. Everyone complained about his rambling, disorganized storytelling approach to teaching. Again, no idea about the work load, but none of my friends that had that class liked it. Heard great things about Koplow's class, however. Personally I think International Law is a pretty stupid class, or at least an impractical one that sounds good on paper. Learning treaty law and untangling the morass of customary international law serves no practical function unless you're one of the 5 kids in the world who lands at the State Department, and chances are, you will not be. But hey, do whatcha gotta do.

The only annoying thing about GLS is that we have to do international law in 1L.

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Glasseyes » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:40 am

Pretty sure Pasachoff will siphon a portion of those kids, but international law gets its fair share too (including the half of GLS that actually give a shit). The calculated choice that worked out last semester (seemingly) was to take International Criminal Law, on the assumption that it's both impractical and vaguely fun, therefore not what gunners would choose because it's the least likely to help you get ahead. I think the Regan course is the rough equivalent this time around, but Regan is fairly popular so you might just be fucked in terms of gunner minimization tactics.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3694
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Hand » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:45 am

Glasseyes wrote:
Hand wrote:2L and 3Ls who have experience with these professors and/or courses, please advise which of our 1L electives is most likely to not be a lot of work and/or most useful:

- Congress and the Administrative State – Professor Victoria Nourse
- Legislation and Regulation -- Professor William Buzbee
- The Regulatory State – Professor Eloise Pasachoff
- International Law I: Introduction to International Law (two sections) – Professor David Koplow; Professor David Stewart
- International Law, National Security, and Human Rights – Professor Mitt Regan


I haven't taken any of those, so I can only go off general reputations (i.e., I should not be giving answers, but I will anyway).

- Pasachoff: Some people in my section took Reg State with Pasachoff and seemed to really love her. It's just a variation on Administrative Law, which is a course you should definitely take if you have any interest in staying in DC. I gather this was a great class but can't speak to the workload.

- Stewart v. Koplow: I was section 2, which meant we had all the GLS kids who were automatically funneled into Stewart's International Law class. Everyone complained about his rambling, disorganized storytelling approach to teaching. Again, no idea about the work load, but none of my friends that had that class liked it. Heard great things about Koplow's class, however. Personally I think International Law is a pretty stupid class, or at least an impractical one that sounds good on paper. Learning treaty law and untangling the morass of customary international law serves no practical function unless you're one of the 5 kids in the world who lands at the State Department, and chances are, you will not be. But hey, do whatcha gotta do.

- Regan: Virtually everyone I know is taking Regan's 2L Corporations class right now (besides me, because I took evidence instead); I hear very good things. Workload for corps sounds very manageable. Something tells me a 3 credit elective will be lighter than that in terms of reading.

- I know nothing about Nourse or Buzbee.

Someone with direct experience with any of the above can give better advice, but my thought process would be this: if there's any chance you might want to stay in DC, or if there's any chance you might end up doing something that could bump up against the government (like Securities Litigation or any kind of regulatory practice like communications, privacy, energy, consumer finance, environmental, food and drug, health law, etc), I would choose a variant of Admin Law. If I wanted a "fun" class (but not really fun, because you'll probably read about crimes against humanity and endless human suffering), I would take Regan's Intl Law, National Security, and Human Rights class. If you must take international law, I would take it with Koplow. And you didn't ask, but I would absolutely take one of the Week One classes if you still have the option. We had no choice, but it was a great way to snag a credit, and the format was much more fun / less boring than a typical doctrinal course.


Thanks, this is super helpful! I need to take an admin class at some point because of being in the public interest fellow program, so I'll probably go with that. Plus I'll likely be stuck in DC upon graduation because of my SO. Pasachoff seemed both charming and coherent when she gave one of those silly "how to 1L" talks they do, so I'll probably put that at the top of my list--although the Regan class sounds like it could be a decent time.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 6651
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Gray » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:18 am

Hand wrote:Thanks, this is super helpful! I need to take an admin class at some point because of being in the public interest fellow program, so I'll probably go with that. Plus I'll likely be stuck in DC upon graduation because of my SO. Pasachoff seemed both charming and coherent when she gave one of those silly "how to 1L" talks they do, so I'll probably put that at the top of my list--although the Regan class sounds like it could be a decent time.

Noooo do International with me you'll hate it but think of how much fun it will be to complain about it.

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 13439
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:27 am

Gray wrote:
Hand wrote:Thanks, this is super helpful! I need to take an admin class at some point because of being in the public interest fellow program, so I'll probably go with that. Plus I'll likely be stuck in DC upon graduation because of my SO. Pasachoff seemed both charming and coherent when she gave one of those silly "how to 1L" talks they do, so I'll probably put that at the top of my list--although the Regan class sounds like it could be a decent time.

Noooo do International with me you'll hate it but think of how much fun it will be to complain about it.

If you do the Regan class, you'll be able to spot me as the student who isn't there. Like, ever.

User avatar
OLitch
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:53 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby OLitch » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:06 am

if I get accepted, I am looking at living in Arlington. Does anyone know anything about the commute?

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4633
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby TheSpanishMain » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:43 am

OLitch wrote:if I get accepted, I am looking at living in Arlington. Does anyone know anything about the commute?


I live in Rosslyn now. It's not bad. Takes me about 40 minutes door to door, depending on how lucky I get with the metro. I would caution you that if you see yourself being involved in a lot of extracurricular stuff/diving into the social scene you might want to live closer though. It worked out fine for me because I'm married and had lived in DC before, so I sort of had my own thing already established.

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2176
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby BmoreOrLess » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:02 pm

Gray wrote:
Hand wrote:Thanks, this is super helpful! I need to take an admin class at some point because of being in the public interest fellow program, so I'll probably go with that. Plus I'll likely be stuck in DC upon graduation because of my SO. Pasachoff seemed both charming and coherent when she gave one of those silly "how to 1L" talks they do, so I'll probably put that at the top of my list--although the Regan class sounds like it could be a decent time.

Noooo do International with me you'll hate it but think of how much fun it will be to complain about it.


I don't know any of the other profs, or if the classes are true 'admin law' (last year there was admin and regulatory state, but i think regulatory state was basically admin?) but if you want to wait Heinzerling is fucking awesome for admin.

User avatar
EzraFitz
Posts: 707
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby EzraFitz » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:14 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Gray wrote:
Hand wrote:Thanks, this is super helpful! I need to take an admin class at some point because of being in the public interest fellow program, so I'll probably go with that. Plus I'll likely be stuck in DC upon graduation because of my SO. Pasachoff seemed both charming and coherent when she gave one of those silly "how to 1L" talks they do, so I'll probably put that at the top of my list--although the Regan class sounds like it could be a decent time.

Noooo do International with me you'll hate it but think of how much fun it will be to complain about it.

If you do the Regan class, you'll be able to spot me as the student who isn't there. Like, ever.

Just a note, I'm in Regan's Corporations class, and I find the reading a bit overwhelming sometimes. There are plenty of Wednesdays where there are 55-60 pages of reading after having the class Monday. It's not like, Butler level workload, but it's definitely at least 15-20 pages more per class than any other class I have, including Evidence and Tax.

In terms of my above comment about 1L networking, I had some unique circumstances that I think helped a lot, and I think I went about things the right way. PM if you'd like more details.

Londonbear
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:19 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Londonbear » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:31 pm

I had Stewart for International Law. Thought the reading could be a bit much, especially with all the articles and extra reading added on. Sometimes it came out to be more than 50+ pages. Would I take it again? No.

As for Regan for Corp. Seems really nice. Pretty smart. Doesn't always answer your emails, but I guess you could try office hours.

With any class, take a look at their past exams and get a feel which you'd prefer before you select.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3694
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Hand » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:57 am

Londonbear wrote:
Hand wrote:Tell me about the LRW in-class exam. What even is this thing?

This is probably the easiest exam you will have in 1L.

Well after just taking it, I must say I can't imagine this not to be the case

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 6651
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Gray » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:33 pm

Hand wrote:
Londonbear wrote:
Hand wrote:Tell me about the LRW in-class exam. What even is this thing?

This is probably the easiest exam you will have in 1L.

Well after just taking it, I must say I can't imagine this not to be the case

I stand by my comment that in terms of popping your law school exam cherry, the LRW exam is like just the tip. Only counts if you want it to.

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2838
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:18 pm

When do we get the memo grade? With all the other ones?

User avatar
TheSpanishMain
Posts: 4633
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:58 pm

Yup. And if it's like last year, it'll just be a raw number with no scale. So until you get the explanatory email a few days later, you'll have no idea how to interpret your score




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests