GULC Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:19 am

Glasseyes wrote:
Hand wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:Welcome to Georgetown. Welcome to hell.

This deserves to be on the wall in all the classrooms where the temperature is set to 90 degrees in the winter


Heat was cranked for my exam in 201 today. Way to make a shitty day worse. Thanks for all the memories, GULC


Having 2 of our 4 first semester classes in 201 has easily been the most miserable part of law school thus far

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Glasseyes » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:28 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:
Hand wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:Welcome to Georgetown. Welcome to hell.

This deserves to be on the wall in all the classrooms where the temperature is set to 90 degrees in the winter


Heat was cranked for my exam in 201 today. Way to make a shitty day worse. Thanks for all the memories, GULC


Having 2 of our 4 first semester classes in 201 has easily been the most miserable part of law school thus far


207 is the one to beat. 201 is a dumpster fire with its stupid lecture hall seating.

only half joking when i call it a dumpster fire. imagine what happens to the kid in the middle of one of those rows if the building catches fire

User avatar
EzraFitz
Posts: 729
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby EzraFitz » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:11 am

Glasseyes wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:
Hand wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:Welcome to Georgetown. Welcome to hell.

This deserves to be on the wall in all the classrooms where the temperature is set to 90 degrees in the winter


Heat was cranked for my exam in 201 today. Way to make a shitty day worse. Thanks for all the memories, GULC


Having 2 of our 4 first semester classes in 201 has easily been the most miserable part of law school thus far


207 is the one to beat. 201 is a dumpster fire with its stupid lecture hall seating.

only half joking when i call it a dumpster fire. imagine what happens to the kid in the middle of one of those rows if the building catches fire

I actually enjoy 140/141/110/111. I normally like big windows, but those rooms just seem very chill to me.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 6869
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Gray » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:36 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:
Hand wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:Welcome to Georgetown. Welcome to hell.

This deserves to be on the wall in all the classrooms where the temperature is set to 90 degrees in the winter


Heat was cranked for my exam in 201 today. Way to make a shitty day worse. Thanks for all the memories, GULC


Having 2 of our 4 first semester classes in 201 has easily been the most miserable part of law school thus far

Hotung 2000 is the best

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 14413
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Capitol_Idea » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:38 am

Hotung 5th and 6th floor seminar rooms are nice, especially if you use the back elevator and avoid the proles waiting for the main one.

User avatar
EzraFitz
Posts: 729
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby EzraFitz » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:32 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:Hotung 5th and 6th floor seminar rooms are nice, especially if you use the back elevator and avoid the proles waiting for the main one.

Until the middle of the semester when everyone in your class has figured it out and it just makes more sense to take the stairs.

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1768
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby JustHawkin » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:01 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:Hotung 5th and 6th floor seminar rooms are nice, especially if you use the back elevator and avoid the proles waiting for the main one.

Back Elevator!?!

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3771
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Hand » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:04 am

JustHawkin wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Hotung 5th and 6th floor seminar rooms are nice, especially if you use the back elevator and avoid the proles waiting for the main one.

Back Elevator!?!

^^ the sort of prole you can avoid by using it

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1768
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby JustHawkin » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:56 pm

Hand wrote:^^ the sort of prole you can avoid by using it

Use the stairs you bum.

User avatar
EzraFitz
Posts: 729
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby EzraFitz » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:43 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
Hand wrote:^^ the sort of prole you can avoid by using it

Use the stairs you bum.

Stairs are for Plebes. If you don't take the elevator between McDonough 1 and 2 you aren't doing it right.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 6869
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Gray » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:06 pm

TBH mcdonough is for plebes

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 14413
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Capitol_Idea » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:36 pm

Gray wrote:TBH mcdonough GULC is for plebes

User avatar
EzraFitz
Posts: 729
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby EzraFitz » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:57 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Gray wrote:TBH mcdonough GULC is for plebes

Both true, but unfortunately I have classes that I will literally fail if I don't go to them in McDonough.

User avatar
mornincounselor
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:37 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby mornincounselor » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:45 am

I have some questions about the requirements/opportunities/limitations of PILS. Anyone with direct or indirect knowledge please PM me or quote me here and I'll follow up with you.

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1768
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby JustHawkin » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:53 pm

.
Last edited by JustHawkin on Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Londonbear
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:19 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Londonbear » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:36 am

PM me if anyone wants the curve spreadsheet for upperclassman classes.

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1768
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby JustHawkin » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:17 pm

Anyone ever take advanced criminal procedure with biros please PM me!

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:10 pm

Does anyone have a firm grade cutoff list? Obv 2nd semester will make a huge difference but just curious where I stand now

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 14413
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:14 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Does anyone have a firm grade cutoff list? Obv 2nd semester will make a huge difference but just curious where I stand now

There's no definitive cutoff list but OCS has a list of average and highest GPA each firm hired from GULC

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:17 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:Does anyone have a firm grade cutoff list? Obv 2nd semester will make a huge difference but just curious where I stand now

There's no definitive cutoff list but OCS has a list of average and highest GPA each firm hired from GULC

is that on the website somewhere or do i have to ask for it?

edit: JK found it

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 14413
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:40 pm

Also extremely anecdotal but from friends, past experience, etc. Re: OCI - it seems like below 3.33 is trouble, above 3.67 means you'll likely do well, and everything in between is up in the air (though everyone I know over 3.5 got something even if it wasn't their top choice).

User avatar
buckiguy_sucks
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:47 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:Also extremely anecdotal but from friends, past experience, etc. Re: OCI - it seems like below 3.33 is trouble, above 3.67 means you'll likely do well, and everything in between is up in the air (though everyone I know over 3.5 got something even if it wasn't their top choice).


whats the word on staying in DC below 3.67? Impossible?

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 14413
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:34 pm

My sense is that the DC market isn't as impossible as TLS makes it out to be - I know at least one guy just below 3.5 who snagged lower V100 in DC, but no idea how common/reliable that is for prediction purposes.

User avatar
Glasseyes
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Glasseyes » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:49 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Also extremely anecdotal but from friends, past experience, etc. Re: OCI - it seems like below 3.33 is trouble, above 3.67 means you'll likely do well, and everything in between is up in the air (though everyone I know over 3.5 got something even if it wasn't their top choice).


whats the word on staying in DC below 3.67? Impossible?


Absolutely possible, it just depends on the firm and how desirable you are as a candidate. There are DC firms that dip below median even (thinking Hollingsworth and some of the other boutiques) but they're not necessarily easier jobs to land, if that makes sense. The GPA lists are a good measuring stick but they only say so much. Firms like Venable and Foley dip much lower than most other DC biglaw, but they hire aggressively based on perceived "fit" instead. I say this as someone who felt really confident about Venable, both in terms of grades and the actual interviews, and didn't stick the landing (but landed higher Vault ranked stuff).

Where GPA lists are particularly helpful is for the firms with hard GPA floors (think Williams & Connolly, Arnold & Porter, WilmerHale, Covington). Where the median is 3.85 and the minimum is 3.81 you know the floor is a hard 3.8, and you should bid accordingly unless there's a really compelling reason to flout conventional wisdom.

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 14413
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:55 pm

Also save this stress for late Spring and OCI guys, nothing you can or should do other than try for good grades this go-around.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests