GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
RDA2930

New

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by RDA2930 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:27 pm

GULC 3L here. During my time here, I had a catastrophic computer issue and lost all of my work from the entire semester, 3 weeks before the end of the semester. I had tons of people--some that I'm not even that friendly with--emailing me with notes and outlines to help out, completely unsolicited. The people I did solicit for help were also really sympathetic and helpful with sharing their work. YMMV, but in my experience, people at GULC are generally cool and are there to help out when people need it. Be cool to people and they'll be cool to you.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Cosign all of the above. Yeah, there will be a handful of gunners who wear suits for no reason and permanently have their hands raised, but the vast majority of people are perfectly fine. And if they're not, they probably came in that way...GULC didn't do it to them. IME even the gunners are reasonably nice people: they're socially oblivious strivers, but they're not, like, evil.

chamyleon

New

Post by chamyleon » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the insight!

To answer one of the previous questions, I think I'd ideally like to come back to California to work; however, I don't think going to school at Georgetown Law would necessarily make that difficult to do, given that Georgetown is very much a national school, whereas UCLA is much more regional?

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:27 pm

I agree with everyone else. There are a lot of things to hate about GULC, but I have never found the school to have a competitive nature. I think the sheer size of the sections/classes makes it less competitive because there is no real sense in competing with individuals. I suppose it could be more competitive amongst the hyper-gunners looking for clerkships/elite DC firms/prestigious PI or Gov, but as someone just looking for the generic biglaw position, I never found it competitive in the least bit. (At least as far as competing directly with other students. Obviously you will compete with yourself as a 1L to do the best you can).

Anonnonnon

Bronze

Post by Anonnonnon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:19 pm

It's April 20th. Still no 1l summer job. I have a ton of applications out (including over 11 at the DC Superior Court/Court of Appeals) and no responses. What do I do at this point?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:59 pm

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:16 pm

Anonnonnon wrote:It's April 20th. Still no 1L summer job. I have a ton of applications out (including over 11 at the DC Superior Court/Court of Appeals) and no responses. What do I do at this point?
All you need is *something* not necessarily something fancy. If you throw a lot of apps out to small/obscure DA/PD/non-profit offices you'll absolutely get a hit.

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:57 pm

Gray wrote:
Anonnonnon wrote:It's April 20th. Still no 1L summer job. I have a ton of applications out (including over 11 at the DC Superior Court/Court of Appeals) and no responses. What do I do at this point?
RA for a prof
You've probably checked symplicity already, but apply to any prof seeking an RA there. Also if you haven't done so, go talk to all your profs, 1st and 2nd semester, and ask whether they need an RA for the summer.

Also ditto on small firms. I'd check symplicity for all job postings for positions during the school year. A lot of small firms look for students part-time during the semester and may be interested in a student working full-time in the summer.

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:32 am

chamyleon wrote:Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the insight!

To answer one of the previous questions, I think I'd ideally like to come back to California to work; however, I don't think going to school at Georgetown Law would necessarily make that difficult to do, given that Georgetown is very much a national school, whereas UCLA is much more regional?
The culture here is totally fine / normal / not-awful, and I agree with everyone else that not only is that not an issue but it shouldn't even be a consideration in choosing schools. That said, if you want California, there's no compelling reason to choose GULC over UCLA unless it's going to cost significantly more, which almost certainly isn't the case unless there's a massive scholarship disparity. Generally speaking, LA has significantly lower COL unless you insist on a stupid Westwood or Brentwood apartment, which is dumb because that neighborhood is a culture vacuum, but I digress.

One clarifying point: I don't think the job numbers are exactly even between UCLA and GULC—from friends at UCLA and my own experiences talking to folks when I was deciding between the two schools, UCLA seems more like top third gets biglaw with a few exceptions, whereas GULC is more like top half, but an awful lot of sub-median folks get biglaw in NY and other markets that are easier than DC.

But despite the slight disparity in the numbers, these are still very close to peer schools, so if you want CA, go to school in CA. If you get good grades you'll be fine from either school, but if things don't pan out during 1L, you'll be much better off going to school in the city you eventually want to be in, so when the floor drops out you can still hustle your ass off, network, and try to find another avenue towards employment.

tl;dr All schools outside HYS are "regional" if you get shitty grades. In terms of planning for all eventualities, you need to attend law school assuming you might get shitty grades despite your best efforts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:49 pm

Hey guys, any idea how I turn "tracked changes" completely off in Microsoft Word?

Currently working on my LRW Final and every time I open it there's a side pane showing that "[MY NAME] changed X," or {MY NAME} did Y."

I can "hide" the pane but it won't seem to completely go away, and I'm worried about screwing up test-taker confidentiality and whatnot.

it's allgood

Bronze

Post by it's allgood » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:57 pm

ChristineBaskets wrote:Hey guys, any idea how I turn "tracked changes" completely off in Microsoft Word?

Currently working on my LRW Final and every time I open it there's a side pane showing that "[MY NAME] changed X," or {MY NAME} did Y."

I can "hide" the pane but it won't seem to completely go away, and I'm worried about screwing up test-taker confidentiality and whatnot.
https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... 12475e806a

Actually, this link is better, I used it when I had the same issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... nt-of-word

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:50 pm

it's allgood wrote:
ChristineBaskets wrote:Hey guys, any idea how I turn "tracked changes" completely off in Microsoft Word?

https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... 12475e806a

Actually, this link is better, I used it when I had the same issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... nt-of-word
Thanks!

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:57 am

Is it normal to feel like I'm cramming at the end of 1L Spring semester, even though I'm not *really* cramming (I've kept up with the reading, am semi-done with outlines, etc)?

I ask because I just felt so much more prepared in the Fall. With LRW out of the way before Thanksgiving break, a full week of nothing but outlining during Thanksgiving, and 5 more days separating my last day of class from my first final -- I wasn't overly confident, but I also didn't feel like I was juggling bowling balls.

With LRW just now finishing up, a 5-day week of new material ahead, and then basically 2 days separating each of 4 finals... this feels like it's gonna be a cramfest, and I'm not sure if I just wasn't diligent enough earlier on or if this is just the nature of 1L Spring.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:30 am

Yes it's normal

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:25 am

Very normal. Remember, you have 4 exams this semester versus 3 last semester.

Good practice for the cramming you'll do during 2L/3L without actually keeping up with readings/outlining all semester.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:43 am

ChristineBaskets wrote:Is it normal to feel like I'm cramming at the end of 1L Spring semester, even though I'm not *really* cramming (I've kept up with the reading, am semi-done with outlines, etc)?
Yeah, it's normal. GULC just has the stupidest 1L setup imaginable. Let's give you nothing to do in the fall and then in the spring add three to four more credits and take away your reading period, have fun!

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:32 pm

usn26 wrote:
ChristineBaskets wrote:Is it normal to feel like I'm cramming at the end of 1L Spring semester, even though I'm not *really* cramming (I've kept up with the reading, am semi-done with outlines, etc)?
Yeah, it's normal. GULC just has the stupidest 1L setup imaginable. Let's give you nothing to do in the fall and then in the spring add three to four more credits and take away your reading period, have fun!
to be fair we don't have a reading period in the fall either it's just that thanksgiving break is further along in the semester than spring break

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:51 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
usn26 wrote:
to be fair we don't have a reading period in the fall either it's just that thanksgiving break is further along in the semester than spring break
Yeah, looks like I was wrong. Was only one less day of prep.

But the credit loading is still absurd.

anonnymoose

New

Post by anonnymoose » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:58 am

Random question, but do GULC law students usually stay around DC or go home during Spring and Easter breaks?

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:34 am

anonnymoose wrote:Random question, but do GULC law students usually stay around DC or go home during Spring and Easter breaks?
Some stay, some go home, some go on fun trips. There is no easter break

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:35 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:There is no easter break
baby jesus wept

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:51 pm

I ask because I just felt so much more prepared in the Fall. With LRW out of the way before Thanksgiving break, a full week of nothing but outlining during Thanksgiving, and 5 more days separating my last day of class from my first final -- I wasn't overly confident, but I also didn't feel like I was juggling bowling balls.

With LRW just now finishing up, a 5-day week of new material ahead, and then basically 2 days separating each of 4 finals... this feels like it's gonna be a cramfest, and I'm not sure if I just wasn't diligent enough earlier on or if this is just the nature of 1L Spring.
Rest assured, 1L Spring is the worst part of law school.

It doesn't really get easier later on, but you will simultaneously care much less and avoid credit-loading yourself into a similar pit of misery.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:55 pm

I like popping in to this thread to remind myself the best part of law school is 4L (i.e. not being there anymore). So much for y'all to look forward to, guys.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:16 pm

Glasseyes wrote: Rest assured, 1L Spring is the worst part of law school.

It doesn't really get easier later on, but you will simultaneously care much less and avoid credit-loading yourself into a similar pit of misery.
tbh i kind of wish i had credit loaded myself into a pit of misery this year just to make 3L that much more 3loler

anonnymoose

New

Post by anonnymoose » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:18 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
anonnymoose wrote:Random question, but do GULC law students usually stay around DC or go home during Spring and Easter breaks?
Some stay, some go home, some go on fun trips. There is no easter break
Oh, okay! Haha. Thank you! I was looking at the "Easter Break" listed on the Georgetown Calendar and didn't realize it was just 3 days.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”