GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:47 pm

ChristineBaskets wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
ChristineBaskets wrote:I noticed that EIW is Aug 7-10 at the Hyatt. I also noticed that EIW Orientation is on Aug 4 at 6pm. I'm wondering: are we staying in the hotel starting on the 4th, or are we supposed to make other arrangements from the 4th through the 6th? Asking because I'm subletting my DC apartment throughout August...

Also what exactly does the Orientation consist of?
you are not staying in the hotel, the interviews are in hotel rooms. if you need a hotel room you should book it now. It could make EIW enormously less stressful, or more stressful, to be staying in the hotel depending on how you react to having incredibly convenient and low stress environment close by vs. having no escape the whole time from the Hyatt

orientation consists of explaining how EIW works
Another dumb question: would it make sense to book a room now on the assumption that I will be interviewing every day through Aug 10th? Or do some people only have interviews scheduled for, say, the first two days out of the four?

Looks like if I book now from Aug 4-11, that'd be >$1300 if I stayed in the Hyatt. Yikes.
lots of people didn't have interviews at all the last day, I only had one but it's probably safe to assume you will either have them, or won't want to leave wedensday. A lot of that will come down to how many total interviews you have which you should hope will be lots and lots. You probably don't need to come for orientation and I think it may even be recorded, but I wouldn't skip out on any actual day of EIW. Also firms may have evening events/dinners/interviews that you don't want to miss. I'd chat with career services about skipping the orientation and also I think USN may have some insight on that.

Personally I think it would suck to stay in the Hyatt anyway. I got the hell out of that hotel as much as I could between and after interviews. So much concentrated anxiety.

Bronze

Post by 20171203 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:27 am

Last edited by 20171203 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:23 am

If you read all the OCI nonsense on here, orientation will probably be a waste of time.

I highly recommend getting a room. It definitely helped keep me sane and away from the lobby (where the concentrated anxiety is).

chamyleon

New

Post by chamyleon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:00 am

de minimis wrote:
chamyleon wrote:Hi all! I'm planning to visit Georgetown sometime in April and was wondering if you had any suggestions for professors & which classes to sit in on. There are a lot of really fascinating classes available, but I'd love to hear what you all suggest.
What options did they give you?
Glasseyes wrote:
Bargain, Exchange, and Liability with Super
Civil Procedure with Hyman
Con Law with Mikhail
Contracts with Fleming or Cohen
Criminal Justice with Gottesman
Democracy & Coercion with Nourse
Govt Processes with Molot
Legal Processes and Society with Solum
Property with Byrne or Tushnet
Torts with Hasnas

If there are a few of these you think would be great to sit in on, let me know! (Just in case I can't make one). The document also lists Curriculum A/B. Could you explain what that means?

Thank you!

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:40 am

chamyleon wrote:
If there are a few of these you think would be great to sit in on, let me know! (Just in case I can't make one). The document also lists Curriculum A/B. Could you explain what that means?

Thank you!
Georgetown has a curriculum b (section 3) that focuses more on the philosophy/underlying justice of the law than the traditional law school curriculum. It basically takes the what is the worst about every law school class, fellow students opining about justice and generously handing down their law thoughts to us mere mortals, and makes it the whole point of your first year.

Anyway you can read about it here http://apps.law.georgetown.edu/curricul ... Detail=105

I would sit in on Molot or Gotttesman if you want to be entertained. If you want to experience like a classic paper-chase-esque cold calling kind of law school class go to Hasnas

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elmar

New

Post by elmar » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:31 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:
KPUSN07 wrote:
GULCsect7 wrote:Evening student (Section 7). Just started my third year.
Load question - but was the evening program academically comparable to the day time program? Do you have the same job prospects as someone in the day time program? How competitive is admissions to the evening program? Can you finish in 3.5 years or strictly four?
Section 7 grad here. It's equal to full-time in terms of job prospects. Yes you can finish on 3.5 years but you have to do Summers and full part time class loads all semesters
Echo Capitol re: job prospects, but actually I'm pretty sure that as of this year the new policy is that you can now finish in three years, if you want. As a practical matter I don't think most people can accumulate the necessary credits and hold a job, so there's no reason no to go full-time anyway at that point, but I think some evening students petitioned to lift the 3.5 year rule.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:03 pm

being a write on judge sucks and is not worth the exemption from in semester assignments right?

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:55 pm

chamyleon wrote:
de minimis wrote:
chamyleon wrote:Hi all! I'm planning to visit Georgetown sometime in April and was wondering if you had any suggestions for professors & which classes to sit in on. There are a lot of really fascinating classes available, but I'd love to hear what you all suggest.
What options did they give you?
Glasseyes wrote:
Bargain, Exchange, and Liability with Super
Civil Procedure with Hyman
Con Law with Mikhail
Contracts with Fleming or Cohen
Criminal Justice with Gottesman
Democracy & Coercion with Nourse
Govt Processes with Molot
Legal Processes and Society with Solum
Property with Byrne or Tushnet
Torts with Hasnas

Thank you!
Of those profs, I've had Gottesman, Tushnet, and Hasnas. If the Cohen happens to be Julie Cohen, I've taken her too (the curriculum guide doesn't list any cohen's teaching contracts, so i dunno who that is).

- Gottesman is wonderful—brilliant, funny, genuinely enjoyable. His cold-call style is pretty casual. Had him for evidence and loved it.
- Tushnet is the nerdiest human imaginable. Also ridiculously brilliant, but a lot of folks from my property class found her awkward and off-putting. I don't disagree, but I really like her anyway. Doesn't cold-call.
- Hasnas will give you a better taste of real cold calls and what's expected when you brief cases, but he's still pretty chill overall. He's done a lot of work with the Cato Institute, if that's your thing (not mine at all, but he wasn't obnoxious). This is probably a small section class, which will be a very different experience from the larger lectures that Gottesman and Tushnet teach.
- Cohen (assuming it's Julie Cohen, not some random) is about as nerdy as Tushnet but way less awkward. She's also something of an IP and privacy visionary, responsible for some of the leading privacy scholarship anywhere. Her writing is impenetrably dense (and wonderful once you warm to it; see http://harvardlawreview.org/2013/05/wha ... cy-is-for/), though she's great in the classroom. Doesn't cold-call to my knowledge.

And I stand by my recommendation for Technology Colloquium: Edge Technologies, which is open to everybody whether the administration suggests it or not. If you're interested, let me know which week you're coming and I'll find out who the guest speaker is and which technology we're covering. (Today we spent like 15 mins flying drones in class.)

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:03 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:07 pm

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:22 am

Does anyone have an outline from a Prof that used Singer's casebook for Property? Currently taking Super and this is his first time using Singer's casebook.

Also - does anyone have an outline for Legislation & Regulation w/Buzbee or Civ Pro w/ Hyman? (other than the ones in the outline bank)

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:57 am

ChristineBaskets wrote:Also - does anyone have an outline for Legislation & Regulation w/Buzbee
girl didn't I give you a ~fantastic~ outline for that, jeezzz

not that you need an outline for the exam given that it consists of applying fake law to fake facts and advising fake businesses on how to respond to fake changes in fake laws so you'll be just making it all up anyway -- weirdest exam I've ever taken in my life

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:57 am

Hand wrote:
ChristineBaskets wrote:Also - does anyone have an outline for Legislation & Regulation w/Buzbee

not that you need an outline for the exam given that it consists of applying fake law to fake facts and advising fake businesses on how to respond to fake changes in fake laws so you'll be just making it all up anyway -- weirdest exam I've ever taken in my life
Haha yes I do have the Buzbee outline but I figured I might as well ask around about that class too while I'm at it. The one you sent me is great, especially for the statutory interpretation component of the course.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the admin law side of things, process-wise (rules vs policy statements and whatnot) but your post almost killed my motivation to try and sort all that out. That exam sounds pretty terrible.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:06 am

ChristineBaskets wrote:
Hand wrote:

Haha yes I do have the Buzbee outline but I figured I might as well ask around about that class too while I'm at it. The one you sent me is great, especially for the statutory interpretation component of the course.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the admin law side of things, process-wise (rules vs policy statements and whatnot) but your post almost killed my motivation to try and sort all that out. That exam sounds pretty terrible.
Understanding the difference between statutes, regulations and other, non-binding stuff that admin agencies issue (guidance docs, dear colleague letters, etc.) and the respective degrees of deference or "respect" that they're entitled to from the courts will likely be important to your success on this utterly ridiculous exam I fear so don't give up on that

ETA the process part will probably matter too I'm afraid, for while it'll all be fake law you do need to understand where in the process a proposed fake law or regulation stands, and what that means (is it a final rule or not, is a proposed regulation a proper exercise of agency authority, bla bla)

Sorry I know this probably does not inspire confidence, but don't blame the messenger, blame buzbee

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:37 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chamyleon

New

Post by chamyleon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:59 am

gray wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Thank you all! I really appreciate it!

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:31 am

call-me-bubbles wrote:questions
definitely a question for Gray but I have to say 100 grand from Penn has to get you more than what you already have at GULC. Definitely keep negotiating with all these schools
Gray wrote:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:04 pm

call-me-bubbles wrote:PLEASE DON'T QUOTE 8)
Since it's not necessarily an apples to apples comparison with all the JD/MA and JD/LLM variations, the usefulness of any advice you get on here is going to vary. I'm generally of the mindset that LLMs for anything besides tax or for foreign practitioners are a waste of money, but your circumstances are slightly different than the average 0L. Similar thoughts re: Masters in intl stuff. I genuinely have no idea if either of those degrees would help you get overseas work; I'm sure they won't hurt, but is it worth the actual expense? Hard to say. What kind of work are you imagining doing anyway? Jobs in international law are legendarily scarce, and the type of overseas work you'd do at biglaw firms generally has very little to do with "international law".

Re: GLS. I've heard plenty of kids had good outcomes, though not necessarily all. It seems to have some benefit for networking at least. Considering your long term goals, I could see that making sense. GULC and DC both sound like the ideal fit for you culturally compared to the rest of your options, but depending on the actual type of work you want to do (like biglaw), it might not be the right choice. On the other hand, if you're not biglaw or bust, it might be perfect. Def haggle for more money if you can.

If you are thinking biglaw, I'd jump at Penn with that scholly, and harass them for more regardless. If Chicago turns out to be generous, even better.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:08 am

Any 3Ls who are in possession of a good outline for Spann's Con Law II?

Anonnonnon

Bronze

Post by Anonnonnon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:59 am

Been applying to internships left and right for 1L summer and nothing has stuck. Only had one person email me back for an interview and it didn't go well (Fed Agency - I know what I did wrong during the interview though). Any advice beyond simplicity? Starting to panic slightly

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:02 pm

Anonnonnon wrote:Been applying to internships left and right for 1L summer and nothing has stuck. Only had one person email me back for an interview and it didn't go well (Fed Agency - I know what I did wrong during the interview though). Any advice beyond simplicity? Starting to panic slightly
Don't panic. The only thing you need for 1L summer is to do something vaguely legal, and *someone* will be willing to take on your unpaid labor. Have you talked to OCS/OPICS yet? What do you want to do (this summer and long term)?

Anonnonnon

Bronze

Post by Anonnonnon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:29 pm

usn26 wrote:
Anonnonnon wrote:Been applying to internships left and right for 1L summer and nothing has stuck. Only had one person email me back for an interview and it didn't go well (Fed Agency - I know what I did wrong during the interview though). Any advice beyond simplicity? Starting to panic slightly
Don't panic. The only thing you need for 1L summer is to do something vaguely legal, and *someone* will be willing to take on your unpaid labor. Have you talked to OCS/OPICS yet? What do you want to do (this summer and long term)?
It's like you said. At this point I'd take anything (barring working for a public defender's/prosecutor's office). I really had my heart set on clerking for a judge over the summer, but none of them have emailed me back. Long term I'm set on NYC biglaw.

lawlzi

New

Post by lawlzi » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:26 pm

Anyone have an outline for any of these profs: Hyman- Civ Pro; Mikhail- Con Law; or Super- Property? Struggling to find anyone with these profs.

missie

New

Post by missie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:29 pm

lawlzi wrote:Anyone have an outline for any of these profs: Hyman- Civ Pro; Mikhail- Con Law; or Super- Property? Struggling to find anyone with these profs.
+1 halpp

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”