GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:00 pm

That's frustrating, was hoping to know sooner so I could use it as a writing sample for apps if it's not garbage

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:21 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:That's frustrating, was hoping to know sooner so I could use it as a writing sample for apps if it's not garbage
If you meet with the professor, you can get a better idea of how your memo fares and what specifically can be done to improve it. If you're using it for applications where they might actually care (i.e. clerkships(?) but def not OCI), then you want to be doing this regardless of your grade/raw score.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:31 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote: words
Do I not need to wait for the grade to do that though? I'm assuming with the whole blind grading thing the answer is yes

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:34 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Do I not need to wait for the grade to do that though? I'm assuming with the whole blind grading thing the answer is yes
Wait your memos are blind-graded? How does that even work given that you've been working on them and (theoretically) getting feedback and advice throughout the semester on them? It was 3 years ago but I'm pretty sure there wasn't blind grading for my class.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:40 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Wait your memos are blind-graded? How does that even work given that you've been working on them and (theoretically) getting feedback and advice throughout the semester on them? It was 3 years ago but I'm pretty sure there wasn't blind grading for my class.
We did 3 ungraded work on em with the professors/law fellow memos then this last week we had a graded memo that we had to work on completely independently and had like one week to do it

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:43 pm

Wow that blows. I had one memo subject the whole time, but I think we had to change positions for the final or something.

Anyway, guess you'll have to wait til grades are out if they instituted the blind-grading thing.

What are you applying to that needs writing samples?

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:48 pm

At least one of the federal agencies I was looking at required it, I think treasury maybe?

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:39 am

I can't remember our exact exam rules, but I imagine you can't even use it until grades come out? If so just apply and say you will provide a writting sample and grades when they come back.

Londonbear

Bronze

Post by Londonbear » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:30 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:At least one of the federal agencies I was looking at required it, I think treasury maybe?
Unless the agencies you're applying to says you can't use edited work, why don't you use the memo you worked on with your law fellows?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:23 am

Londonbear wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:At least one of the federal agencies I was looking at required it, I think treasury maybe?
Unless the agencies you're applying to says you can't use edited work, why don't you use the memo you worked on with your law fellows?
Because I put more effort into the graded one and seems better to me at least but I'd like confirmation of that

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:03 pm

Definitely don't do anything to disrupt the sanctity of the blind-graded memos. The registrar is both horribly incompetent and comically spiteful, so you want to avoid putting yourself in a position where she/they/it can ruin your life.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:16 pm

Glasseyes wrote:The registrar is both horribly incompetent and comically spiteful
God this is so true.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:48 pm

Anyone have Katyal in the past? PM me!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:50 pm

JustHawkin wrote:Anyone have Katyal in the past? PM me!
I have Katyal in the future and would also appreciate any comments from folks who took con law I with him

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:45 pm

What's the earliest grades come out? Are they generally early or all last minute?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:54 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:What's the earliest grades come out? Are they generally early or all last minute?
Depends on the professor but in my experience like 90+% are at the very end and extremely few are early. So enjoy getting your grades at the end of January.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:55 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:What's the earliest grades come out? Are they generally early or all last minute?
Depends on the professor but in my experience like 90+% are at the very end and extremely few are early. So enjoy getting your grades at the end of January.
FML

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:58 pm

Hand wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote: Depends on the professor but in my experience like 90+% are at the very end and extremely few are early. So enjoy getting your grades at the end of January.
FML
according to the registrar's site they're due the 15th so end of January would be quite upsetting

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:00 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Hand wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote: Depends on the professor but in my experience like 90+% are at the very end and extremely few are early. So enjoy getting your grades at the end of January.
FML
according to the registrar's site they're due the 15th so end of January would be quite upsetting
maybe we should start a gulc grade waiters thread next month and draw out all the lurkers

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:01 pm

'Due' means the prof has to get them in by then. Except for the several day grace period that profs absolutely use. And the whatever extra days they want to use because what the fuck are you gonna do to a tenured prof exactly? And then the registrar has to process them and put em online. And no one's working on the weekends of course.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:02 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:20 pm

First semester grades for my section were all posted at once; definitely late January, probably later than the 20th.

Second semester grades also took a while (though not nearly as long as journal results), but my section's were distributed one class at a time over 2+ weeks. Welcome to Georgetown. Welcome to hell.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:33 pm

Glasseyes wrote:Welcome to Georgetown. Welcome to hell.
This deserves to be on the wall in all the classrooms where the temperature is set to 90 degrees in the winter

EzraFitz

Silver

Post by EzraFitz » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:34 pm

For me last year, the first semester they were all posted at 5 pm the Tuesday after they were due. In the spring, two came out noon the day of my last final (still have no idea how), and the rest came out 5 pm the Tuesday after they were due... i.e. who knows. Although GULC actually does fine professors $100/day for being late.
Hand wrote:
This deserves to be on the wall in all the classrooms where the temperature is set to 90 degrees in the winter
Damn 205

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:21 pm

Hand wrote:
Heat was cranked for my exam in 201 today. Way to make a shitty day worse. Thanks for all the memories, GULC

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”