GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:54 am

BmoreOrLess wrote:
Oh, I also found it useful to take one to two classes a semester strictly for GPA engeneering purposes.
Ditto. Seminars are usually graded on a much easier curve. Shout out in particular to Negotiation/Mediation seminars, which are like 50-60% A or A- and some of which take place over the course of two weekends, leaving you with a very cleared out schedule the rest of the semester.

ball is life

New

Post by ball is life » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:48 am

I see that the more generous seminar curve is allowed to be applied to classes of 30 or less students. Is there any chance it may apply in LRW or the small class or is this just wishful thinking?

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:06 am

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:33 pm

Gray wrote:
ball is life wrote:I see that the more generous seminar curve is allowed to be applied to classes of 30 or less students. Is there any chance it may apply in LRW or the small class or is this just wishful thinking?
lol no all of your 1L classes are on the regular curve
Also there is no guarantee it will be applied in upper level classes even when there are less than 30 students in there

SubmedianHomeskAlien

New

Post by SubmedianHomeskAlien » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:15 pm

EIW question: do firms know where you ranked them on your list, or do they just know that you placed a bid on their firm?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:36 pm

SubmedianHomeskAlien wrote:EIW question: do firms know where you ranked them on your list, or do they just know that you placed a bid on their firm?
They don't know where you ranked them, only that you bid on them (which they'll also know even if you don't get an interview via lottery, although I'm not sure of the mechanics on that).

SubmedianHomeskAlien

New

Post by SubmedianHomeskAlien » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:44 pm

So here's my Fall schedule in its current form:

Corporations - 4 credits
Tax I - 4 credits
Accounting for Lawyers - 2 credits
Seminar on Gender & Race - 3 credits
Seminar on Israel/Palestine - 3 credits

The thing I'm concerned about is regarding the 2 seminars: apparently they both fulfill the Writing Requirement. I have no qualms with getting the WR out of the way in the Fall of 2L -- but say I elect to use my Gender Seminar paper to fulfill the Writing Requirement... would the Israel/Palestine class be any less intense or would it still require a final paper that's just as long/polished as my actual WR submission?

I guess what I'm saying is, is it dumb to take 2 WR-eligible seminars, and should I just take an easy-sounding 2-credit course in place of the Israel/Palestine Seminar? I was originally hoping to pull a 16-credit semester in the Fall but I guess it might be unnecessary.

de minimis

New

Post by de minimis » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:52 pm

SubmedianHomeskAlien wrote:So here's my Fall schedule in its current form:

Corporations - 4 credits
Tax I - 4 credits

The thing I'm concerned about is regarding the 2 seminars: apparently they both fulfill the Writing Requirement. I have no qualms with getting the WR out of the way in the Fall of 2L -- but say I elect to use my Gender Seminar paper to fulfill the Writing Requirement... would the Israel/Palestine class be any less intense or would it still require a final paper that's just as long/polished as my actual WR submission?

I guess what I'm saying is, is it dumb to take 2 WR-eligible seminars, and should I just take an easy-sounding 2-credit course in place of the Israel/Palestine Seminar? I was originally hoping to pull a 16-credit semester in the Fall but I guess it might be unnecessary.
Two WR papers in the same semester is gonna be a bad time. Much better ways of knocking out 3 credits than doing an unnecessary WR paper.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:54 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SubmedianHomeskAlien

New

Post by SubmedianHomeskAlien » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:59 pm

Gotcha. I noticed that a lot of the WR classes have a 2-credit option where the final paper isn't as lengthy, but I guess that's not the case here. I'll go with a 2-credit class. Thanks!

SubmedianHomeskAlien

New

Post by SubmedianHomeskAlien » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:10 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:
Oh, I also found it useful to take one to two classes a semester strictly for GPA engeneering purposes.
Ditto. Seminars are usually graded on a much easier curve. Shout out in particular to Negotiation/Mediation seminars, which are like 50-60% A or A- and some of which take place over the course of two weekends, leaving you with a very cleared out schedule the rest of the semester.
This may be a dumb question, but is there somewhere we can go to see past grade distributions?

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:50 pm

SubmedianHomeskAlien wrote:
Mr. Blackacre wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but is there somewhere we can go to see past grade distributions?
Not any official place, but a lot of journals (if not all) keep curve banks.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:44 pm

Gray wrote:
de minimis wrote:
SubmedianHomeskAlien wrote:So here's my Fall schedule in its current form:

Corporations - 4 credits
Tax I - 4 credits

Two WR papers in the same semester is gonna be a bad time. Much better ways of knocking out 3 credits than doing an unnecessary WR paper.
Only exception is when you can submit the same paper for 2 classes. you have to get permission from both profs, but it can be done (I think it also has to be a longer paper).
It has to be 12,000 words, plus there needs to be some reasonable overlap in subject matter between the two classes. That actually doesn't sound *that* bad for six credits. Two 6,000 word papers for two classes sounds rough.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:44 am

Anyone else waiting for a grade that was due on wed? This is a joke.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:47 am

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:49 am

Gray wrote:
ladybug1989 wrote:Anyone else waiting for a grade that was due on wed? This is a joke.
That's fucking garbage. The registrar's office is easily the worst thing about Georgetown.

Denise I hope you read this and feel bad and GET YOUR FUCKING SHIT TOGETHER OVER THERE.
To their defense (this is a first), I think it's my prof who hasn't submitted the grades. But I think the registrar's office should pressure them. I'm applying to an internship and have delayed submitting my resume simply because of this grade. :!: :!:

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:52 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi everyone, I'm from the GULC applicants thread (c/o 2021)!

We were debating about the "Curriculum B" thing... What do you think about it? Where could we find more info? Does it affect in some way job placement or whatever else?

Thanks!

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:28 pm

RDA2930

New

Post by RDA2930 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:31 pm

InterLaw wrote:Hi everyone, I'm from the GULC applicants thread (c/o 2021)!

We were debating about the "Curriculum B" thing... What do you think about it? Where could we find more info? Does it affect in some way job placement or whatever else?

Thanks!
I wasn't in Section 3 (curriculum B), so someone who was in it will be a better source. But I knew several people who were. You take equivalent classes to the 1L curriculum but it has more of a theory-based bent. It tends to be more public interest people for some reason, and also tends to be more of a "liberal" group of students (though that's anecdotal and honestly doesn't really matter). I don't think it will affect your job prospects at all; like I said, the curriculum is really equivalent to the normal 1L curriculum except the course titles are different ("theory and process" instead of "civil procedure," or something to that effect) and you'll have more ~theoretical~ discussions in class.

Also anecdotal, but section 3 tends to have a higher percentage of gunnery types.

tl;dr: it doesn't really matter. Sign up if you want to, it won't affect your job prospects in a negative way.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:39 pm

RDA2930 wrote:

Thanks!
I wasn't in Section 3 (curriculum B), so someone who was in it will be a better source. But I knew several people who were. You take equivalent classes to the 1L curriculum but it has more of a theory-based bent. It tends to be more public interest people for some reason, and also tends to be more of a "liberal" group of students (though that's anecdotal and honestly doesn't really matter). I don't think it will affect your job prospects at all; like I said, the curriculum is really equivalent to the normal 1L curriculum except the course titles are different ("theory and process" instead of "civil procedure," or something to that effect) and you'll have more ~theoretical~ discussions in class.

Also anecdotal, but section 3 tends to have a higher percentage of gunnery types.

tl;dr: it doesn't really matter. Sign up if you want to, it won't affect your job prospects in a negative way.
Thanks for the help! What do you mean with "gunnery types"? International stud here :oops:
You basically confirmed my idea about it! And good to know that it doesn't affect the employment outcome!
Gray wrote:

Thanks!
omg you guys are starting so early.
We are, in fact! But you know, it's always time to silly polls and shitposting!

Thank you for the help, appreciate it!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RDA2930

New

Post by RDA2930 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:48 pm

A "gunner" is basically a law school trope of a person that very aggressively participates in class, asks "what if..." questions that lead the class discussion on long tangents, wear suits and ties to class for no reason, etc. Searching the TLS boards will give you a better indication of what a gunner is. Basically someone who is really eager to show their ~knowledge about the law~ and likes to debate stuff that is tangential to the class. Sometimes a suck-up to profs too.

It's not that Section 3 is ALL gunner-y types, just anecdotally, there tend to be more people who are like that in that section as compared to other sections. Each section has some people like that though.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:50 pm

Alive97

Bronze

Post by Alive97 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:12 pm

Last edited by Alive97 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

missie

New

Post by missie » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:52 am

Does anyone have any opinions on international law I with Stewart?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”