GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
RDA2930

New

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by RDA2930 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:43 am

LunaBar wrote:I assume Craigslist is the best/only way to hunt for apartments?

If I'm living off campus but want a reasonable commute to GULC what general areas should I look (budget max of $1200 and open to roommates)?

More importantly, when should I start looking? DC seems to be a pretty tight market that loads up in advance...
DC doesn't load up in advance outside of 77H/mass court/similar complexes (they are almost 100% students so that's why they load up in advance). In all other neighborhoods, I'd say 1-2 months out is when you'll find something. It's a little stressful, but people just don't put things up for rent more than 1-2 months in advance, especially if you're renting from an individual landlord instead of a big complex (the way to go IMO).

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:16 am

missie

New

Post by missie » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:39 pm

LunaBar wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
EzraFitz wrote:
patttt wrote:
LunaBar wrote:I assume Craigslist is the best/only way to hunt for apartments?

If I'm living off campus but want a reasonable commute to GULC what general areas should I look (budget max of $1200 and open to roommates)?

More importantly, when should I start looking? DC seems to be a pretty tight market that loads up in advance...
i'd stray away from the whole commuting mentality for your 1L -- i tried it and it didn't work. Really, bite the bullet and live close, at least for your first year. You can always move farther out after you know what you're doing in law school if you decide that it's necessary
I agree with this. I lived in Silver Spring my 1L year, and my new girlfriend lived down by the NoMa stop. Needless to say, I spent maybe 10 days at my apartment per semester, max, and never on weekdays. Commuting was so awful. Bright side, got to know my girlfriend quickly and she is now my wife haha.

On the other hand I’ve been commuting 30 minutes by public transit all three years and it’s fine and has caused me no problems and i don’t have to live in 77h or pay 8,000/month for one of the mass ave apartments
I'm actually going to be doing an LLM at GTown so not really concerned about 1L life. More thinking about if I'm okay with a 20 minute commute where I should be looking and what's the best way/time to look. Craigslist seems to have nothing up....
Living on Capitol Hill is nice, you can usually find apartments in the area on craigslist. My apartment is less than a 20 minute walk to campus, and the neighborhood is beautiful. Options are less expensive than most of the apartment buildings near campus. If there's bad weather/I'm feeling sick or lazy, getting to campus costs $3 on via or lyft line. I found my apartment 3 weeks in advance.

LunaBar

New

Post by LunaBar » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:21 pm

Thanks for all the help everyone! Is it realistic to find a decent room thats not a curtain in a living room for around 1000-1200 a month (excluding utilities) not too far from campus?

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:37 pm

LunaBar wrote:Thanks for all the help everyone! Is it realistic to find a decent room thats not a curtain in a living room for around 1000-1200 a month (excluding utilities) not too far from campus?
With roommates like 20-30 minutes from campus totally reasonable I think though I haven’t tried to find roommates

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawShopeful

New

Post by LawShopeful » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:45 pm

I've just recently been accepted and I'm thrilled since Georgetown has been my first choice for awhile!!

Can anyone attest to GULC's job placements post graduation? I keep getting warned to go to other schools in the T14, specifically UVA or NYU if I get in. I'm not sure if Corporate/Big law is where I'll end up, but if I did choose that route would going to GULC really put me at any significant disadvantage in the D.C. area?

Thanks.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:57 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
LunaBar wrote:Thanks for all the help everyone! Is it realistic to find a decent room thats not a curtain in a living room for around 1000-1200 a month (excluding utilities) not too far from campus?
With roommates like 20-30 minutes from campus totally reasonable I think though I haven’t tried to find roommates
1200 is def doable, 1000 may not be doable even with roommates and 20-30 min commute, unless you luck out or live in a dump

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:00 pm

LawShopeful wrote:I've just recently been accepted and I'm thrilled since Georgetown has been my first choice for awhile!!

Can anyone attest to GULC's job placements post graduation? I keep getting warned to go to other schools in the T14, specifically UVA or NYU if I get in. I'm not sure if Corporate/Big law is where I'll end up, but if I did choose that route would going to GULC really put me at any significant disadvantage in the D.C. area?

Thanks.
The topic has been beaten to death ITT, but there's little to add to the raw numbers. There is certainly some self-selection (I do know a good number of people with solid to excellent grades not pursuing big law, but that's probably true at a place like NYU as well) but by and large, law school numbers tells you what you need to know. From there it's really just a question of what attendance will cost you and how risk-adverse you are.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:09 pm

Crystal City is about 30 min away and has a number of 2BR apartments in the $2,000-$2,400 range.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LunaBar

New

Post by LunaBar » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:11 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
Crystal City is about 30 min away and has a number of 2BR apartments in the $2,000-$2,400 range.
Okay no way I'm moving to Crystal City.

Looks like I'll be pushing up my rent range ...

RDA2930

New

Post by RDA2930 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:32 pm

LunaBar wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:

This is semi-realistic if you have roommates and are lucky enough to find an individual landlord (rather than a big rental company like Bozzuto or Borger). Might be 1200-1500 w/ roommates rather than 1000-1200. If you're looking to live alone and don't mind a studio, you can find something for 1300-1600 in the mile-radius around campus.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:32 pm

Has anyone taken Nourse for legislation, have any tips? Any supplements/outside reading which would aid in the class?

gotCentred

New

Post by gotCentred » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:55 pm

RDA2930 wrote:
LunaBar wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:

This is semi-realistic if you have roommates and are lucky enough to find an individual landlord (rather than a big rental company like Bozzuto or Borger). Might be 1200-1500 w/ roommates rather than 1000-1200. If you're looking to live alone and don't mind a studio, you can find something for 1300-1600 in the mile-radius around campus.
I rent from an individual LL (found on craigslist) with 2 roommates in a 3 BR rowhouse, and we each pay between 1000-1100 about a 15 minute walk north on 1st St. (a little less than a mile). Pretty sketchy area though and not everyone would be ok with it, e.g. 2 shootings within a stone's throw of our place last semester. So it's possible, but there are trade-offs involved and you'll have to hunt for it

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:40 pm

How difficult is it to actually fail a pass/fail Business and Financial Basics for Lawyers course?

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:37 pm

ChristineBaskets wrote:How difficult is it to actually fail a pass/fail Business and Financial Basics for Lawyers course?
Extremely. No one failed in the fall.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:38 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:Has anyone taken Nourse for legislation, have any tips? Any supplements/outside reading which would aid in the class?
Anyone?

Bunbury

New

Post by Bunbury » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:02 pm

Do grades come out all at once or can they be staggered?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ball is life

New

Post by ball is life » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:21 pm

Bunbury wrote:Do grades come out all at once or can they be staggered?
At least for 1Ls, they'll all be coming out next Wednesday

ChristineBaskets

New

Post by ChristineBaskets » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:34 pm

Do grades usually come out slower or more quickly for 2Ls/3Ls? (compared to 1Ls)

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:41 pm

ChristineBaskets wrote:Do grades usually come out slower or more quickly for 2Ls/3Ls? (compared to 1Ls)
They trickle out. Most come out faster. But since they don't need to be released all at once you could get a straggler who won't have the pressure of "every single 1L is waiting on your grades."

Anonnonnon

Bronze

Post by Anonnonnon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:40 pm

LawShopeful wrote:I've just recently been accepted and I'm thrilled since Georgetown has been my first choice for awhile!!

Thanks.
FWIW, I know of a large number of people who struck out at OCI this year from my section. Some of these people I was utterly surprised to find out about. All else being equal (tuition costs, etc), if you get into NYU/UVA along with GULC, go to NYU/UVA

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JuliusCaesar

Bronze

Post by JuliusCaesar » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:58 pm

Can anyone speak about "trial practice"? The curve, workload, difficulty, etc.?

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:09 pm

I was recently admitted and might be interested in interning with the Senate.

Do many GULC students have the opportunity to find stable career opportunities in Congress?

checkmark123

New

Post by checkmark123 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:24 pm

To those who struck out at EIW: How did you manage your job search after the fact? What did you end up landing, and when?

Bunbury

New

Post by Bunbury » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:54 pm

ball is life wrote:
Bunbury wrote:Do grades come out all at once or can they be staggered?
At least for 1Ls, they'll all be coming out next Wednesday
Thanks! I wish they'd planned to release them before the start of the semester...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”