GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Anonnonnon

Bronze

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by Anonnonnon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:14 pm

browniestasty wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
mbpats7 wrote:
barkschool wrote:
Anonnonnon wrote:Any ideas on how we should be choosing our 2L classes in general?

how easy (is it cross listed with LLMs) >>>> schedule >> tangential interests

in that order
I take it that classes cross-listed with LLMs are harder?

Easier. ESL llms don't do as well on exams is the common line thinking which makes sense to me but I have no hard data to back it up.
ESL is part of the issue but I think the bigger issue is a lot of them are basically on paid vacation and don't actually give a fuck about their grades.
How can you tell when a course/section is "cross listed?" How is it indicated?

ladybug1989

Bronze

Post by ladybug1989 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:24 pm

Anyone have a Prof for Professional Responsibility that was easier on the curve? Heard the PR curve is pretty brutal.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:36 pm

_
Last edited by barkschool on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:37 pm

_
Last edited by barkschool on Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:18 am

usn26 wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Anonnonnon wrote:Any ideas on how we should be choosing our 2L classes in general? Like what kind of requirements do we need to fulfill (credit and otherwise), recommendations for classes to take, etc? Just looking for general advice here.

If it matters, I took The Regulatory State as my elective. Does that count for my administrative law credit? If so, how can I tell?
You need 85 total credits, the only requirements are professional responsibility and a writing requirement seminar, and reg state will sometime count for classes that require admin as a prerequisite but you may have to specially petition the registrar.

If you're looking for a guide as to what to take common classes are corporations, evidence, tax, any bar subject, federal courts, con law II, employment etc. but i would just take whatever sounds interesting to you or whatever is a prerequisite to whatever sounds interesting to you.
Isn't there some new requirement for c/o 2019 and after? Thought it was admin.
Oh yeah they have to do like one practical course or whatever like an externship practicum or clinic or something

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:20 am

ladybug1989 wrote:Anyone have a Prof for Professional Responsibility that was easier on the curve? Heard the PR curve is pretty brutal.
the curve may look brutal but the class itself is a joke and if you take Tague for example you can just not go to class or read and rehash what other people wrote on old exams and still get an A

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:22 am

barkschool wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
barkschool wrote: shoot for 14 credits
Meh I might do more than this just to make 3lol extra 3lolish. I've got an 11 credit 3L spring planned and I wish I could've don't it fall too.
yo that's smart
I only took ~14 credits each semester this year and now need to take way too many next year, I recommend bucki's strategy of taking a little more now
barkschool wrote: I did my writing req. in 2L and I thought that was the best to get over quickly
agree, happy I got that box checked, although I actually like writing a paper more than taking an exam

anonnymoose

New

Post by anonnymoose » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:39 pm

For current GULC students-- incoming students just received access to our GULC emails. Do you happen to know if there's a way to change the alias so that it's not something like abc17@georgetown.edu? These aren't the most beautiful or professional-looking email addresses.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:49 pm

anonnymoose wrote:For current GULC students-- incoming students just received access to our GULC emails. Do you happen to know if there's a way to change the alias so that it's not something like abc17@georgetown.edu? These aren't the most beautiful or professional-looking email addresses.
I don't think so.

But I wouldn't stress it. If you don't get some job you're after, it won't be because your email address lacks fung shui. If it really bothers you, just make a separate gmail account that is FirstName.LastName or whatever.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:24 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
anonnymoose wrote:For current GULC students-- incoming students just received access to our GULC emails. Do you happen to know if there's a way to change the alias so that it's not something like abc17@georgetown.edu? These aren't the most beautiful or professional-looking email addresses.
I don't think so.

But I wouldn't stress it. If you don't get some job you're after, it won't be because your email address lacks fung shui. If it really bothers you, just make a separate gmail account that is FirstName.LastName or whatever.
Yeah i never give out my Georgetown email to employers I just do my personal

Londonbear

Bronze

Post by Londonbear » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:45 am

Nope. You cannot change it. And employers don't care.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:57 pm

Throwaonetwothree

New

Post by Throwaonetwothree » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:06 pm

Overall 1L GPA: 3.04. Chances at big law if I purely gun for NYC with strong ties to the area and if I already have a callback at one firm?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:47 pm

Throwaonetwothree wrote:Overall 1L GPA: 3.04. Chances at big law if I purely gun for NYC with strong ties to the area and if I already have a callback at one firm?
I never interviewed with NYC firms, so take this with a grain of salt, but my sense is you still have a fighting chance if you A) are a decent interviewer and B) bid smart. Look for NYC firms with large class sizes that hire below median people. OCS should provide you with data on the GPAs of people hired by individual firms in the past.

Throwaonetwothree

New

Post by Throwaonetwothree » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:02 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Throwaonetwothree wrote:Overall 1L GPA: 3.04. Chances at big law if I purely gun for NYC with strong ties to the area and if I already have a callback at one firm?
I never interviewed with NYC firms, so take this with a grain of salt, but my sense is you still have a fighting chance if you A) are a decent interviewer and B) bid smart. Look for NYC firms with large class sizes that hire below median people. OCS should provide you with data on the GPAs of people hired by individual firms in the past.
OCS did. I know it's not going to be smooth sailing, but I'm still remaining decently optimistic. Thanks for the advice

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:43 pm

Throwaonetwothree wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
OCS did. I know it's not going to be smooth sailing, but I'm still remaining decently optimistic. Thanks for the advice
I did well at EIW with similar GPA. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

SubmedianHomeskAlien

New

Post by SubmedianHomeskAlien » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:43 pm

Kinda similar question to the one above. So the GPA took a dip in the Spring, and I ended up w/ a 3.21. Not the end of the world, but I don't exactly have any mitigating factors to fall back on, e.g. good work experience (graduated in 2015 & worked retail in between) or "softs" (resume is meh).

I was planning on targeting NY & my home market (relatively large secondary market). Would prefer the home market. Other than "bidding smart," emailing associates for coffee, and mass-mailing the crap out of all biglaw/midlaw firms in the general vicinity of the 2 aforementioned markets, is there any other advice that the OCI veterans wanna share?

Thanks guys!

EDIT: oh, and OCS did send out an excel sheet with GPA medians and general data on certain firms. But it doesn't include nearly all the firms that are actually coming to EIW. Is there somewhere to find more in depth info on this?
Last edited by SubmedianHomeskAlien on Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

biglawhopeful18

New

Post by biglawhopeful18 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:50 pm

Last edited by biglawhopeful18 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anonnymoose

New

Post by anonnymoose » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:10 am

Can any current students talk about what the orientation schedule is like? I have to schedule a meeting for some place about half an hour away from GULC-- the entire thing will probably take 2 hours total-- during orientation week or the Saturday between orientation/first week of classes, and I'm afraid of missing an important/mandatory event.

Prospect24

New

Post by Prospect24 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:57 am

Anyone have any info or opinions on GULC vs GW for 1) evening programs and 2) foreign affairs & national security law?

Also what's the parking in the garage like after 5 for evening students?

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:09 pm

Prospect24 wrote:what's the parking in the garage like after 5 for evening students?
it's free after 5pm and there's always plenty of room (because you can park in admin spots as well)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:09 pm

anonnymoose wrote:Can any current students talk about what the orientation schedule is like? I have to schedule a meeting for some place about half an hour away from GULC-- the entire thing will probably take 2 hours total-- during orientation week or the Saturday between orientation/first week of classes, and I'm afraid of missing an important/mandatory event.
I don't recall them taking names after the first day

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:17 pm

Prospect24 wrote:Anyone have any info or opinions on GULC vs GW for 1) evening programs and 2) foreign affairs & national security law?

GULC has better Biglaw placement same as day program. Otherwise likely no significant difference.

Prospect24

New

Post by Prospect24 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Prospect24 wrote:Anyone have any info or opinions on GULC vs GW for 1) evening programs and 2) foreign affairs & national security law?

GULC has better Biglaw placement same as day program. Otherwise likely no significant difference.
Currently working bigfed in a non legal role, but obviously there's a large legal framework around what we do. Interested in doing one of the two evening programs to have a better understanding of that framework and maybe eventually move into an internal legal role. I'd probably only do biglaw as a retirement gig from gov much farther down the road.

In this situation should I just go to whichever gives me more money because my grades will matter more than anything or would GULC give a bump?

Prospect24

New

Post by Prospect24 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Hand wrote:
Prospect24 wrote:what's the parking in the garage like after 5 for evening students?
it's free after 5pm and there's always plenty of room (because you can park in admin spots as well)
Awesome. Thank you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”