GULC Students Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: GULC Students Taking Questions

Post by TLSModBot » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:46 pm

Prospect24 wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:
Prospect24 wrote:Anyone have any info or opinions on GULC vs GW for 1) evening programs and 2) foreign affairs & national security law?

Also what's the parking in the garage like after 5 for evening students?
GULC has better Biglaw placement same as day program. Otherwise likely no significant difference.
Currently working bigfed in a non legal role, but obviously there's a large legal framework around what we do. Interested in doing one of the two evening programs to have a better understanding of that framework and maybe eventually move into an internal legal role. I'd probably only do biglaw as a retirement gig from gov much farther down the road.

In this situation should I just go to whichever gives me more money because my grades will matter more than anything or would GULC give a bump?
If you are not Biglaw bound and already have a job lined up/continuing, I'd go where you get more money. TCR is probably just don't go to law school unless you've really done your homework about what the JD practically can and will do for your career but assuming that you do this, I'd say it doesn't matter which school

Prospect24

New

Post by Prospect24 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:49 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Prospect24 wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:
Prospect24 wrote:Anyone have any info or opinions on GULC vs GW for 1) evening programs and 2) foreign affairs & national security law?

Also what's the parking in the garage like after 5 for evening students?
GULC has better Biglaw placement same as day program. Otherwise likely no significant difference.
Currently working bigfed in a non legal role, but obviously there's a large legal framework around what we do. Interested in doing one of the two evening programs to have a better understanding of that framework and maybe eventually move into an internal legal role. I'd probably only do biglaw as a retirement gig from gov much farther down the road.

In this situation should I just go to whichever gives me more money because my grades will matter more than anything or would GULC give a bump?
If you are not Biglaw bound and already have a job lined up/continuing, I'd go where you get more money. TCR is probably just don't go to law school unless you've really done your homework about what the JD practically can and will do for your career but assuming that you do this, I'd say it doesn't matter which school
I'm going to wait another year or two and talk to some of my colleagues about their thoughts on the benefits of it to ensure it is actually worth the time and money if I don't move over to a true legal role. Thanks for the input!

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:33 pm

Londonbear

Bronze

Post by Londonbear » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:23 pm

biglawhopeful18 wrote:
SubmedianHomeskAlien wrote:Kinda similar question to the one above. So the GPA took a dip in the Spring, and I ended up w/ a 3.21. Not the end of the world, but I don't exactly have any mitigating factors to fall back on, e.g. good work experience (graduated in 2015 & worked retail in between) or "softs" (resume is meh).

I was planning on targeting NY & my home market (relatively large secondary market). Would prefer the home market. Other than "bidding smart," emailing associates for coffee, and mass-mailing the crap out all biglaw/midlaw firms in the general vicinity of the 2 aforementioned markets, is there any other advice that the OCI veterans wanna share?

Thanks guys!

EDIT: oh, and OCS did send out an excel sheet with GPA medians and general data on certain firms. But it doesn't include nearly all the firms that are actually coming to EIW. Is there somewhere to find more in depth info on this?

In addition to the things you mentioned:

1) Depending on where you're working this summer, ask a person of influence who you've done good work for to connect you or shop your resume around to biglaw friends
2) Follow up with attorneys you networked with at receptions and whatnot throughout the year
3) Go to the stupid firm events this summer
4) Scour your personal network (UG, extended fam, etc.) and your network's respective networks (hello LinkedIn) for leads

I was around your GPA and got cb's/offers from doing all 4 of these
I would also practice interviewing a lot to help nerves and be the best you that you can muster. Schedule an interview run with OCS. Some firms also have sessions you can sign up to do practice interviews with their associates. I also signed up for firms I knew I'd have no chance at (you don't necessary need to use your bids, just do this during open sign up), especially if it's on the first day of OCI, just to get more practice in there.

Go to the suites, chat with the recruiters and associates, sometimes you will be able to get an interview out of that (or more information on why X firm if you do have an interview later on) If not, there's always food and other swag.

JuliusCaesar

Bronze

Post by JuliusCaesar » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:37 pm

Does anyone know when we will hear about the 1L cutoffs for dean's list, top 15%, etc.?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:35 pm

JuliusCaesar wrote:Does anyone know when we will hear about the 1L cutoffs for dean's list, top 15%, etc.?
I'm surprised you don't have them already.

(But only b/c it's summer. I'd also be surprised if you got them any time before December because Georgetown)

anonnymoose

New

Post by anonnymoose » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:00 am

Hand wrote:
anonnymoose wrote:Can any current students talk about what the orientation schedule is like? I have to schedule a meeting for some place about half an hour away from GULC-- the entire thing will probably take 2 hours total-- during orientation week or the Saturday between orientation/first week of classes, and I'm afraid of missing an important/mandatory event.
I don't recall them taking names after the first day
I see. Do you remember there being any events (mandatory or voluntary) on the Saturday between orientation/classes?

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:24 am

anonnymoose wrote:
Hand wrote:
anonnymoose wrote:Can any current students talk about what the orientation schedule is like? I have to schedule a meeting for some place about half an hour away from GULC-- the entire thing will probably take 2 hours total-- during orientation week or the Saturday between orientation/first week of classes, and I'm afraid of missing an important/mandatory event.
I see. Do you remember there being any events (mandatory or voluntary) on the Saturday between orientation/classes?
no I'm pretty sure it's over by Friday, there's a big thing over at main campus that marks the end of orientation that night

anonnymoose

New

Post by anonnymoose » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Hand wrote:
anonnymoose wrote:
Hand wrote:
no I'm pretty sure it's over by Friday, there's a big thing over at main campus that marks the end of orientation that night
Great! Thank you so much!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:35 am

ball is life

New

Post by ball is life » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:28 pm

When are sections usually announced for incoming students?

ga2dc

New

Post by ga2dc » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:57 pm

ball is life wrote:When are sections usually announced for incoming students?
Recent grad here. I think if you registered for Section 3, you'll know before the rest of the students. My recollection is that we found out around the middle of July. Obviously if you're a part-time student, you're in Section 7

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:09 pm

ga2dc wrote:
Recent grad here. I think if you registered for Section 3, you'll know before the rest of the students. My recollection is that we found out around the middle of July. Obviously if you're a part-time student, you're in Section 7
I searched my inbox and i got the email June 19th sounds like you have grounds to enraged considering that it's already the 21st

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:38 pm

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:04 pm

also, if you're doing GLS you'll be in section 2. (which was, is, and presumably will forever be the best section.)

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:15 pm

missie

New

Post by missie » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:03 pm

Gray wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
ga2dc wrote:
I searched my inbox and i got the email June 19th sounds like you have grounds to enraged considering that it's already the 21st
In case ga2dc is not a heavy lurker with intimate knowledge of GULC posters, this would be June 19, 2015, not this cycle.
Last year we found out on June 27

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronze

Post by 88234 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:51 pm

Contracts: Spann
CivPro: Hyman
Torts: Rothstein
LW: Abrams

Thoughts? I'm in section 2.

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:08 pm

88234 wrote:Contracts: Spann

Spann is excellent and entertaining, but his exam is a total crapshoot.

ball is life

New

Post by ball is life » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:36 pm

Any thought on these section 1 profs?

Civ pro: Abernathy
Property: Byrne
Torts: Peller
Crim: Lopez
Contracts: Velikonja

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:40 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:48 pm

ball is life wrote:Any thought on these section 1 profs?

No Spann for §1 torts? You're missing out. Although you get the Scaliagate guy so that's... something.

Abernathy is fun.

ball is life

New

Post by ball is life » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:30 pm

88234 wrote:Contracts: Spann

How did you find out which small sections you're in?

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:03 pm

usn26 wrote:
ball is life wrote:Any thought on these section 1 profs?

No Spann for §1 torts? You're missing out. Although you get the Scaliagate guy so that's... something.

Abernathy is fun.
Abernathy is the rite of passage for Section 1. He's very tough and likes to put on a show like in The Paper Chase, but he is actually a good professor. Studying for the bar now, CivPro is probably the 1L topic I remember best.
Peller has his own style; you either hate him or love him. Personally I can't stand him, but I also know a bunch of people who thought he was the best prof they had in law school.

Don't know about the other ones, but ditto on Spann. A shame they took him off the Section 1 schedule - I guess we were lucky we had so many good teachers.

Bronze

Post by 88234 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:11 pm

Is there any sort of rationale behind what section we are placed into?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”