Notre Dame alum taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Notre Dame alum taking questions

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:49 am

andythefir wrote:
thomch05 wrote:At what point did I ever say I was going to law school in the hopes of acquiring a JD preferred job. However, 7.8 percent of last years class did end up in such positions, I was just curious if YOU had any insight as to whether they were using their NDLS degrees to manage burger kings or if they might be actually doing something worth while... Thanks for attempting to answer my question tho :wink:
I offered a JD required job to every single one of them. They all chose to do whatever they're doing now over a JD required job. If any of them are working at Burger King, it's because they'd rather work there than be an attorney.
But wouldn't they have to be licensed in your state?

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:48 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
andythefir wrote:
thomch05 wrote:At what point did I ever say I was going to law school in the hopes of acquiring a JD preferred job. However, 7.8 percent of last years class did end up in such positions, I was just curious if YOU had any insight as to whether they were using their NDLS degrees to manage burger kings or if they might be actually doing something worth while... Thanks for attempting to answer my question tho :wink:
I offered a JD required job to every single one of them. They all chose to do whatever they're doing now over a JD required job. If any of them are working at Burger King, it's because they'd rather work there than be an attorney.
But wouldn't they have to be licensed in your state?
New Mexico lets you begin working before passing the bar if it's in public interest. As long as they were licensed somewhere, they could have already been working here for several months.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:53 pm

Didn't want to out your state if you didn't want to, haha. Also didn't realize you had offered that opportunity - is your office always hiring?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:34 pm

I just found the law review alum newsletter in my inbox from 2 months ago, thought people would find this info interesting. Tried to separate by city or at least state so people could read it more easily.

Class of 2015 (3Ls) destinations:

Firms:

Sidley Chicago (2)
Jones Day Chicago (2)
Jenner Chicago
Winston Chicago
McDermott Will & Emery Chicago
Schiff Hardin Chicago
Latham Chicago
Greenberg Traurig Chicago

Skadden DC
Mayer Brown DC

Cravath NY

Miller Johnson Grand Rapids (2)

Husch Blackwell KC

Foley & Lardner Milwaukee

Skadden Palo Alto

Clerkships:

11th Circuit (2)
7th Circuit
8th Circuit

E.D. Wis.
D. Utah
S.D. Tex.

Class of 2016 Summer Destinations:

Willkie NY
White & Case NY
Kirkland NY
Cravath NY
DPW NY
Arnold & Porter NY

Jenner Chicago
Kirkland Chicago
Baker & McKenzie Chicago
Schiff Hardin Chicago

Jones Day Cleveland
Baker Hostetler Cleveland

Warner Norcross Grand Rapids
Honigman Detroit

Jones Day DC
Sutherland Asbill & Brennan DC

Greenberg Traurig LA
Downey Brand Sacramento

Baker Botts Dallas
Latham Texas (can't figure out which city)

McDonald Carano Wilson Las Vegas or Reno

Snell & Wilmer Denver

Morris Nichols Arsht & Tunnell Wilmington

Dechert Philly

West Virginia AG's office

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:19 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:I just found the law review alum newsletter in my inbox from 2 months ago, thought people would find this info interesting. Tried to separate by city or at least state so people could read it more easily.

Class of 2015 (3Ls) destinations:

Firms:

Sidley Chicago (2)
Jones Day Chicago (2)
Jenner Chicago
Winston Chicago
McDermott Will & Emery Chicago
Schiff Hardin Chicago
Latham Chicago
Greenberg Traurig Chicago

Skadden DC
Mayer Brown DC

Cravath NY

Miller Johnson Grand Rapids (2)

Husch Blackwell KC

Foley & Lardner Milwaukee

Skadden Palo Alto

Clerkships:

11th Circuit (2)
7th Circuit
8th Circuit

E.D. Wis.
D. Utah
S.D. Tex.

Class of 2016 Summer Destinations:

Willkie NY
White & Case NY
Kirkland NY
Cravath NY
DPW NY
Arnold & Porter NY

Jenner Chicago
Kirkland Chicago
Baker & McKenzie Chicago
Schiff Hardin Chicago

Jones Day Cleveland
Baker Hostetler Cleveland

Warner Norcross Grand Rapids
Honigman Detroit

Jones Day DC
Sutherland Asbill & Brennan DC

Greenberg Traurig LA
Downey Brand Sacramento

Baker Botts Dallas
Latham Texas (can't figure out which city)

McDonald Carano Wilson Las Vegas or Reno

Snell & Wilmer Denver

Morris Nichols Arsht & Tunnell Wilmington

Dechert Philly

West Virginia AG's office
That's amazing, the class of '15 didn't do anywhere near as well as '14 in federal clerkships.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:40 pm

Not even close. Neither did my class. Your class was exceptionally talented :)

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:29 pm

Slow day at work. Bump.

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:01 pm

How is the school gym? Is it crowded? I like to work out at night but I doubt they are open past 11. Leaning towards spending an extra $30 a month on a 24 hour gym membership I was looking at.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:06 pm

Calbears123 wrote:How is the school gym? Is it crowded? I like to work out at night but I doubt they are open past 11. Leaning towards spending an extra $30 a month on a 24 hour gym membership I was looking at.
The 24 hour gym in Eddy Street Commons? Probably worth it. Rolfs is a pretty solid gym, and I think it may be open until midnight on weekdays, but you may need more flexibility. I used to work out around 9 and never had any problems at Rolfs though.

http://recsports.nd.edu/facilities/rolf ... on-center/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DJ2k15

New

Post by DJ2k15 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:43 pm

HI- I was wondering if there are any extracurriculars, specific to Notre Dame or in general, that employers look highly upon.

Law Review is the obvious choice, but do you have any insight on a secondary journal, moot court, mock trial, or a club?

Many thanks

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:13 pm

DJ2k15 wrote:HI- I was wondering if there are any extracurriculars, specific to Notre Dame or in general, that employers look highly upon.

Law Review is the obvious choice, but do you have any insight on a secondary journal, moot court, mock trial, or a club?

Many thanks
As a 3L I took a criminal law externship in both the fall and spring semester for the St. Joseph PD. What did I actually do? I did a juvenile court docket 1 day/week in the fall and met with clients in the jail and went to dockets for maybe 5/10 hours per week in the spring. What did my resume say? "Spent a full year as a public defender intern where I met with clients, negotiated with prosecutors, and represented clients in all phases of the criminal justice process." That will give you a major talking point for both PDs and DAs across the country.

I did moot court and it didn't do anything for me.

Some non-linear advice would be to get really into the ND campus extra curriculars. For example, if you have an interview with an ND undergrad and you did Bengal Bouts that would be worth more than any other extra curricular.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:27 pm

andythefir wrote:
DJ2k15 wrote:HI- I was wondering if there are any extracurriculars, specific to Notre Dame or in general, that employers look highly upon.

Many thanks
As a 3L I took a criminal law externship in both the fall and spring semester for the St. Joseph PD. What did I actually do? I did a juvenile court docket 1 day/week in the fall and met with clients in the jail and went to dockets for maybe 5/10 hours per week in the spring. What did my resume say? "Spent a full year as a public defender intern where I met with clients, negotiated with prosecutors, and represented clients in all phases of the criminal justice process." That will give you a major talking point for both PDs and DAs across the country.

I did moot court and it didn't do anything for me.

Some non-linear advice would be to get really into the ND campus extra curriculars. For example, if you have an interview with an ND undergrad and you did Bengal Bouts that would be worth more than any other extra curricular.
Also, depending on your career path, the ideological organizations (FedSoc or ACS) can be super helpful and are great networking tools.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:37 pm

Bump

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:00 pm

Bump for any new questions.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:38 pm

Bump.

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:14 pm

Do you know anyone at NDLS with full ride scholarships? And what their stats were? I know the full ride stats are technically available online, but it seems more believable coming from someone who went there

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:10 pm

slizerd wrote:Do you know anyone at NDLS with full ride scholarships? And what their stats were? I know the full ride stats are technically available online, but it seems more believable coming from someone who went there
I honestly didn't know anyone who was on a full ride while I was there. It was considered very rare. I knew some people who were getting 30K, but that was the most that I remember. I have heard from current students that there are more full rides now, though. But I don't know what the numbers would be, given the drop in the medians in recent years. Back when I was there, 3.7/170 would probably get you 28/30K.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:34 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
slizerd wrote:Do you know anyone at NDLS with full ride scholarships? And what their stats were? I know the full ride stats are technically available online, but it seems more believable coming from someone who went there
I honestly didn't know anyone who was on a full ride while I was there. It was considered very rare. I knew some people who were getting 30K, but that was the most that I remember. I have heard from current students that there are more full rides now, though. But I don't know what the numbers would be, given the drop in the medians in recent years. Back when I was there, 3.7/170 would probably get you 28/30K.
It's a totally different world from when we were there. Class sizes and LSAT scores are way down. Rumors were that the class of '16 had lots of free rides, specifically that the scholarship distribution was very top-heavy and heavily concentrated among the very top while the bulk got little to nothing.

Personally, I'd like to see the school dig deep into the endowment and make a play for a huge ranking jump. The greed of the huge schools that will be financially in trouble presents a huge opportunity for ND to make a big dent in its reputation.

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:38 pm

andythefir wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
It's a totally different world from when we were there. Class sizes and LSAT scores are way down. Rumors were that the class of '16 had lots of free rides, specifically that the scholarship distribution was very top-heavy and heavily concentrated among the very top while the bulk got little to nothing.

Personally, I'd like to see the school dig deep into the endowment and make a play for a huge ranking jump. The greed of the huge schools that will be financially in trouble presents a huge opportunity for ND to make a big dent in its reputation.
That would be beyond amazing if they changed and were giving full rides! If there's no chance of that, I probably won't even apply =/ Indiana and WashU are relatively close in rankings and I've heard they give out a lot of money. I like Notre Dame's reputation better buuuutttt..... poor.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:05 pm

slizerd wrote:
andythefir wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

That would be beyond amazing if they changed and were giving full rides! If there's no chance of that, I probably won't even apply =/ Indiana and WashU are relatively close in rankings and I've heard they give out a lot of money. I like Notre Dame's reputation better buuuutttt..... poor.
If you're (1) 100% committed to the region where those schools are and (2) get a much more generous scholarship then I agree that ND would be a bad fit. But ND gives you way more geographic flexibility and its LRAP is life-changing. In addition, if you're politically conservative, ND can open doors none of its peers can.

slizerd

Gold

Post by slizerd » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:23 pm

andythefir wrote:
slizerd wrote:
andythefir wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

If you're (1) 100% committed to the region where those schools are and (2) get a much more generous scholarship then I agree that ND would be a bad fit. But ND gives you way more geographic flexibility and its LRAP is life-changing. In addition, if you're politically conservative, ND can open doors none of its peers can.
That's some really good insight, thank you! I'm originally from Ohio and I'd like to move back there to the Cleveland or Columbus area, so I'm OK with a regional midwest school. ND definitely does seem to have more brand recognition, but I'm not sure how many people are racing to get a job in Cleveland haha

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:39 pm

My 1L roommate landed at Jones Day Cleveland. The Cleveland market seems kinda fickle, like anywhere in the Midwest I'd bet they're drowning in law students. On the other hand Cleveland was much less sought after among my classmates than Chicago, St. Louis, Milwaukee, etc.

gastronomy

Bronze

Post by gastronomy » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:23 am

In general, how large are the law student organizations at ND in terms of membership? Are cultural clubs (i.e. the Asian, Black, and Hispanic Law Students Associations) fairly active?

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:29 pm

gastronomy wrote:In general, how large are the law student organizations at ND in terms of membership? Are cultural clubs (i.e. the Asian, Black, and Hispanic Law Students Associations) fairly active?
Fed Soc (right wing student club) is huge and hugely influential. They've had Justices Thomas and Alito come to the school in the last 2 years and both justices had private receptions with just the fed soc. ACLU (left wing student club) is fairly active, although they don't have the same juice. I was president of the Native American Law Student Association (for the record, I was awful), and I wouldn't call the ethnic student groups "cultural," but they are a thing that gets just as much funding as other groups. I think the Black Law Students Association is pretty active, but I'm not sure.

gastronomy

Bronze

Post by gastronomy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:39 pm

andythefir wrote:
gastronomy wrote:In general, how large are the law student organizations at ND in terms of membership? Are cultural clubs (i.e. the Asian, Black, and Hispanic Law Students Associations) fairly active?
Fed Soc (right wing student club) is huge and hugely influential. They've had Justices Thomas and Alito come to the school in the last 2 years and both justices had private receptions with just the fed soc. ACLU (left wing student club) is fairly active, although they don't have the same juice. I was president of the Native American Law Student Association (for the record, I was awful), and I wouldn't call the ethnic student groups "cultural," but they are a thing that gets just as much funding as other groups. I think the Black Law Students Association is pretty active, but I'm not sure.
That's really helpful to hear. Thank you for the feedback!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”