Notre Dame alum taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Notre Dame alum taking questions

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:28 pm

Your experience on the Hill will definitely help with that. For public interest (regardless of which side), the most important thing is to try to get in early. Get in with all of the like-minded organizations and get to know people, it makes things much easier. Although that is particularly true on the right, because the legal movement is fairly small and everyone knows everyone.

canon1845

New

Post by canon1845 » Wed May 20, 2015 2:51 am

Thank you for taking questions.

Could you shed some light into how international JD students did at NDLS?

Did they have a hard time finding a job?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed May 20, 2015 3:45 am

canon1845 wrote:Thank you for taking questions.

Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about their situation. Hopefully there is someone on here that does! I'm sorry.

canon1845

New

Post by canon1845 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:06 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
canon1845 wrote:Thank you for taking questions.

Unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about their situation. Hopefully there is someone on here that does! I'm sorry.
No probs mate, thanks for answering :)

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:28 am

Bump

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Fri May 29, 2015 5:28 pm

Do you know anybody from the south at NDLS? Does NDLS place well in the South with people who have ties?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri May 29, 2015 5:39 pm

There usually aren't too many, but the few that I knew did well. I don't know if there was anyone from the Deep South in my class (a couple from NC, TN, and east Texas, though - obviously not counting Florida as the South here). But there were some Deep South people in the next two classes that did well - law review and big firm jobs in Atlanta and NYC. The downside is that if you want Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham, and even Raleigh and Charlotte, there aren't that many ND alums in those areas to network with. So that might be a reason to favor Emory/Bama/UGA/Carolina over ND if you want places in their specific markets.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri May 29, 2015 5:43 pm

How did people fare at median? How did people fare in getting Biglaw in Chicago?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri May 29, 2015 5:46 pm

KMart wrote:How did people fare at median? How did people fare in getting Biglaw in Chicago?
See the first page of the thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri May 29, 2015 5:46 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
KMart wrote:How did people fare at median? How did people fare in getting Biglaw in Chicago?
Touche - sorry I got overzealous. Thanks for taking questions anyway!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri May 29, 2015 5:51 pm

KMart wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Didn't mean for that to come off as mean, just did not want to type the same thing over again, sorry!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri May 29, 2015 5:53 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
KMart wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Didn't mean for that to come off as mean, just did not want to type the same thing over again, sorry!
Oh no I didn't take it that way at all. It's the first question asked, entirely on me. Really, though, thanks again for answering questions.

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Sun May 31, 2015 11:55 am

Law school transparency finally updated the statistics on my class (2014).You can find it here: http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/notredame/2014/

Roughly half in large firms or clerkships-which means that several of those folks were hired below median. Every single unemployed person in my class turned down a job in my office, so no one is unemployed by necessity.

I have noticed that the incoming class looks much bigger than previous ones, which is the opposite approach from the one I would take (dig deep into the endowment and throw big scholarships at folks until the storm is over).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Calbears123

Bronze

Post by Calbears123 » Sun May 31, 2015 1:07 pm

andythefir wrote:Law school transparency finally updated the statistics on my class (2014).You can find it here: http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/notredame/2014/

Roughly half in large firms or clerkships-which means that several of those folks were hired below median. Every single unemployed person in my class turned down a job in my office, so no one is unemployed by necessity.

I have noticed that the incoming class looks much bigger than previous ones, which is the opposite approach from the one I would take (dig deep into the endowment and throw big scholarships at folks until the storm is over).
I asked the Dean why the class of 2017 was so big compared to the rest (I think it's 200 vs around 170-180). She said they had some yield issues and didn't plan having a class so big and hopefully won't in the future.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sun May 31, 2015 5:54 pm

Maybe with the shifting LSAT medians it has become harder to figure out yield. Still, I would have erred on the small side and then just filled up the class off the WL.

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Sun May 31, 2015 6:22 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Maybe with the shifting LSAT medians it has become harder to figure out yield. Still, I would have erred on the small side and then just filled up the class off the WL.
I think that's what they're doing this year a bunch of people above the 75th percentile LSAT with decent GPAs got WLed(including me)

midwestisbest

New

Post by midwestisbest » Sun May 31, 2015 10:04 pm

adil91 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Maybe with the shifting LSAT medians it has become harder to figure out yield. Still, I would have erred on the small side and then just filled up the class off the WL.
I think that's what they're doing this year a bunch of people above the 75th percentile LSAT with decent GPAs got WLed(including me)
I'm in the same boat. From LSN, it looks like they waitlisted almost everyone who applied after the end of February.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thomch05

New

Post by thomch05 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:58 am

Any insight on what a "JD advantage" Job looks like after graduating from NDLS?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:49 pm

thomch05 wrote:Any insight on what a "JD advantage" Job looks like after graduating from NDLS?
Not really sure what this is asking: do you mean "can I get a job not practicing law from NDLS?" If that's the case, I'm sure you can, but don't go to law school if that's what you want.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:24 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
thomch05 wrote:Any insight on what a "JD advantage" Job looks like after graduating from NDLS?
Not really sure what this is asking: do you mean "can I get a job not practicing law from NDLS?" If that's the case, I'm sure you can, but don't go to law school if that's what you want.
I think the question means what jobs do people under the JD Advantage category generally take? Are they CFOs in corporations or are they consultants? Essentially: are they desirable positions?

Agreed with your sentiment though. Too many people today want to go to law school to get a JD when they don't need one for their career.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:34 pm

KMart wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
I think the question means what jobs do people under the JD Advantage category generally take? Are they CFOs in corporations or are they consultants? Essentially: are they desirable positions?

Agreed with your sentiment though. Too many people today want to go to law school to get a JD when they don't need one for their career.
I really don't know what people do if they don't practice law. If you don't want to be a lawyer, don't go to law school. Maybe HYS could work out, but the chances that a T25 law degree will matter for you in a non-law field are pretty minuscule.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thomch05

New

Post by thomch05 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:57 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
lmao thanks for the advice, really Informative and helpful!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:34 pm

thomch05 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
lmao thanks for the advice, really Informative and helpful!
Way more informative and helpful than most of the crap that you read about law school, including on these boards. I think it should be pretty uncontroversial advice to tell someone not to go to law school if they have no desire to be a lawyer.

The only people I know who are not practicing law are either doing another grad degree or working in compliance (which is at least tangentially law-related). I don't know anyone who went into consulting or whatever.

thomch05

New

Post by thomch05 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:00 pm

At what point did I ever say I was going to law school in the hopes of acquiring a JD preferred job. However, 7.8 percent of last years class did end up in such positions, I was just curious if YOU had any insight as to whether they were using their NDLS degrees to manage burger kings or if they might be actually doing something worth while... Thanks for attempting to answer my question tho :wink:

andythefir

Silver

Post by andythefir » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:36 am

thomch05 wrote:At what point did I ever say I was going to law school in the hopes of acquiring a JD preferred job. However, 7.8 percent of last years class did end up in such positions, I was just curious if YOU had any insight as to whether they were using their NDLS degrees to manage burger kings or if they might be actually doing something worth while... Thanks for attempting to answer my question tho :wink:
I offered a JD required job to every single one of them. They all chose to do whatever they're doing now over a JD required job. If any of them are working at Burger King, it's because they'd rather work there than be an attorney.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”