NYU 1Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Slytherpuff

Platinum

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:24 pm

deant286 wrote:So I was recently accepted off of the waitlist and have yet to receive the credentials needed to log in and apply for housing, does anyone have any experience applying this late and still getting something? I desperately want to live in NYU housing and would basically take anything they have.

Also, a more general NYU question, how guaranteed are big law jobs up and down the class rank?

Specifically:

Is there still a chance for more "prestigious" firms below median? (I know people here scoff at prestige or whatever but humor me)
What does placement for median students look like?
And what can top third and above land from NYU?

Thanks for any responses. Never thought I'd be at NYU and don't really have a clear idea of just how "superior" it is to non-t6 t14s. Trying hard not to come across as a gunner/weirdo 0l here lol just curious.
I think you should still be able to get housing this late! I'd probably recommend calling to see if they still have spots available.

Big law jobs are very doable at/below median. I have plenty of median friends at V10 firms, but I think personality and prior work experience helped there. If you're far below median (like bottom 25%) you'll need to hustle a bit more for big law, but if you're a good interviewer you should be just fine.

Top 1/3 - great chances for clerkships, maybe some government positions, and otherwise plenty of V10 options. Just depends on whatever you're looking to do!

deant286

Bronze

Post by deant286 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:05 pm

Thank you!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:16 pm

What's the gym situation like?

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:39 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:What's the gym situation like?
http://www.law.nyu.edu/alumni/alumniben ... facilities

404 Fitness (404 Lafayette) and Palladium (Union Sq). Previous gym was Coles, located at Bleecker and Mercer, but they closed this past January for renovation. I'm not sure when they'll be reopening Coles, but as they're tearing down the building and starting from scratch, it probably won't be during your 1L year.

404 Fitness is farther from D'Ag than Coles was, but it's about the same distance from Hayden, p/k/a Mercer.

Unlimited access, included with tuition.

404 Fitness hours: http://www.gonyuathletics.com/sports/20 ... x?path=404

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:53 pm

404 Lafayette is a really great gym, I was pleasantly surprised once it opened. Brand new equipment and a great layout that feels spacious even when it's crowded. It's great for both lifting and cardio. Palladium is nice too but it's all the way up at Union Square and it's easy to get lost in the building. Haha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:42 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Do you know if they offer overnight lockers for anyone who lives off-campus? I'm trying to figure out logistics if I end up living in Brooklyn.

deant286

Bronze

Post by deant286 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:15 pm

how often, if at all, will I need to wear business casual clothes during 1L? how about a suit? I imagine not at all but want to be sure.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:29 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Do you know if they offer overnight lockers for anyone who lives off-campus? I'm trying to figure out logistics if I end up living in Brooklyn.
The school has lockers for off-campus students, and you can pay to rent a locker for the semester at one of the gyms. (Also NYU has a gym in Brooklyn that you can use!)

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:31 pm

deant286 wrote:how often, if at all, will I need to wear business casual clothes during 1L? how about a suit? I imagine not at all but want to be sure.
More often than you'd think - probably a couple of times per month. You'll need it for some simulations in Lawyering, for interviews, and otherwise for networking events. Definitely no need to wear business casual to class though!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:46 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Thanks for the replies.

The school has lockers for off-campus students, and you can pay to rent a locker for the semester at one of the gyms. (Also NYU has a gym in Brooklyn that you can use!)
Awesome. Thanks!

deant286

Bronze

Post by deant286 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:53 am

Slytherpuff wrote:
deant286 wrote:how often, if at all, will I need to wear business casual clothes during 1L? how about a suit? I imagine not at all but want to be sure.
More often than you'd think - probably a couple of times per month. You'll need it for some simulations in Lawyering, for interviews, and otherwise for networking events. Definitely no need to wear business casual to class though!
Thanks for the reply, but just to be clear you're referring to business casual, right? I'm not going to need to bring suits with me? Or will I?

checkers

Bronze

Post by checkers » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:20 am

deant286 wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
Thanks for the reply, but just to be clear you're referring to business casual, right? I'm not going to need to bring suits with me? Or will I?
You will need at least one suit. There are several occasions outside of class that you will need it, either as a full suit and tie or as a suit and no tie (business casual).

kumquat3

New

Post by kumquat3 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:41 am

Will we only learn what books to buy once we receive our schedules during orientation? Are there any courses that all use the same casebook regardless of professor? I was hoping to buy my books used online, so I was hoping to do as much shopping as possible in advance of classes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:15 pm

kumquat3 wrote:Will we only learn what books to buy once we receive our schedules during orientation? Are there any courses that all use the same casebook regardless of professor? I was hoping to buy my books used online, so I was hoping to do as much shopping as possible in advance of classes.
People can usually start viewing their schedule online at NYU Home in late July/early August. You can definitely buy your books online instead of waiting until orientation!

kumquat3

New

Post by kumquat3 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:01 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
kumquat3 wrote:Will we only learn what books to buy once we receive our schedules during orientation? Are there any courses that all use the same casebook regardless of professor? I was hoping to buy my books used online, so I was hoping to do as much shopping as possible in advance of classes.
People can usually start viewing their schedule online at NYU Home in late July/early August. You can definitely buy your books online instead of waiting until orientation!
Amazing - thanks! And, on another subject, do people with Macbook Airs have any trouble with NYU's laptop specifications? It looks like I'd be fine with an ethernet adapter, but before I buy a new model, I want to be sure. Ha, was surprised to see that NYU only specifically recommends a very expensive Dell.

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:50 am

On the Orientation page it says that we are advised to get our NYU IDs before arriving- do you remember if we need to already have them in hand in order to move into law school housing on move in day? I'm just trying to plan out the logistics of arriving in NYC.

universityof

New

Post by universityof » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:45 am

Applesauce11 wrote:On the Orientation page it says that we are advised to get our NYU IDs before arriving- do you remember if we need to already have them in hand in order to move into law school housing on move in day? I'm just trying to plan out the logistics of arriving in NYC.
I believe I moved in and then got it later that afternoon

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:58 am

kumquat3 wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
Amazing - thanks! And, on another subject, do people with Macbook Airs have any trouble with NYU's laptop specifications? It looks like I'd be fine with an ethernet adapter, but before I buy a new model, I want to be sure. Ha, was surprised to see that NYU only specifically recommends a very expensive Dell.
Macbook Air is definitely fine. Also, at risk of outing myself - I would recommend considering scanning the copies of the casebooks they have in the library to save $

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:52 am

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:50 am

NoDayButToday wrote: And that sounds like a lot of work to scan, but after $700 for casebooks last semester, I might be giving that a try too D:
It takes me about an hour a week to scan all my reading for a week. Definitely a pain, but I really resent the amount they make us spend on books.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:16 pm

Another casebook option - sign up for Coases (law school mailing list), and then buy used copies from 2Ls/3Ls who took the course. If you look hard enough you should be able to find a copy that doesn't have any highlighting in it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:40 am

Class schedules are out, and I'm on my "sabbatical" before school starts. So of course, I have nothing better to do than get excited about classes starting. So my main classes (Lawyering hasn't been added yet) are:

Torts with Fox
CivPro with Miller and Sexton
Contracts with Gillette

Any good stories or tips about these profs?

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:14 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Class schedules are out, and I'm on my "sabbatical" before school starts. So of course, I have nothing better to do than get excited about classes starting. So my main classes (Lawyering hasn't been added yet) are:

Torts with Fox
Contracts with Gillette

Miller and Sexton are old school legends, with respect to teaching style and lived experience. Sexton was formerly Dean of the SoL and President of the University, and Miller wrote Rule 11 straight out of law school. Both came from a time when there were no federal rules of civil procedure.

Fox was the first woman partner of Simpson Thatcher, an extremely elite large firm. She's sweet but incomprehensible.

Don't know about Gillette.

Synch

Bronze

Post by Synch » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:18 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Class schedules are out, and I'm on my "sabbatical" before school starts. So of course, I have nothing better to do than get excited about classes starting. So my main classes (Lawyering hasn't been added yet) are:

Torts with Fox
Contracts with Gillette

Fox couldn't be nicer, but my god, not a good teacher. She's an antitrust teacher who got roped into torts.

Never heard of Gillette. Maybe a new prof?

beckett

New

Post by beckett » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:06 pm

Would love any insight you guys have about the below professors!

Torts - Christopher Tarver Robertson
Procedure - Samuel Issacharoff
Contracts - Florencia Marotta

Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”