NYU 1Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TLS_Dreamer

New

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:48 am

Shoot, I'd clerk anywhere: thanks!

But idk that it would actually be that easy to clerk from NYU. If it was that easy wouldn't their clerkship numbers be up since you can go from clerk to PI/gov/biglaw?

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:03 pm

Plenty of Texas offices come to EIW, you should have a great shot from NYU as long as you really play up your ties to the area during interviews.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:05 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:They're great about placing people out-of-state. I imagine it would be easier if you were shooting for California, since they're the biggest market at EIW outside of NY. But if you already have ties to another area, I'm sure they can help you with getting back there.
Thanks! I have ties to Texas and want to practice biglaw or clerk there. But I'm worried about NYU being able to get me there...
If you have ties, I think you'll probably be ok. There are always Texas firms at EIW, and the Career Services people are really helpful at telling you what you need to do to set yourself up for getting into a particular market/firm.

Also, with regards to clerkships: most PI people don't take a clerkship, and the trend is currently to shoot for a clerkship after working for a year rather than right out of school. I don't know that anyone can get a federal clerkship from NYU (some of the grade cutoffs are pretty harsh), but if you're above the median, it's definitely a viable option. The only catch for you is that focusing your clerkship applications on one specific region will limit your chances, regardless of where you go to school.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:10 pm

Pretty much anyone who wants a clerkship can get one, but it's more common for us to line up clerkships that are a couple years out and start in biglaw. The more competitive clerkships hire so far in advance that it's starting to become more rare for people to clerk straight out of law school (especially if you want NY/DC/CA). The clerkship office is fantastic and will help out wherever/whenever you want to clerk.

Edit: It's a lot harder to get a clerkship if you're below median but it's not unheard of. If your grades aren't great, you just might want to look away from federal courts.

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:16 pm

That's interesting to learn that clerkships are usually a few years out now. Good to know!

I'm currently deciding between NYU/UVA/Duke, and maybe you two can help? NYU puts ~71% into clerkships/biglaw compared to ~80% at UVA and Duke. If you add PI/Gov, then NYU, UVA, and Duke all have ~90% in those areas. So they're pretty similar employment-wise. The biggest difference is that 18% at UVA/Duke clerk compared to 8% at NYU, while 19% at NYU do PI/gov compared to around 10% at UVA/Duke.

Is there an advantage to going to NYU over UVA/Duke with my career goals? I know NYU is ranked higher, but is there anything that makes it a materially better school? UVA/Duke would be a lot less fun, but they're cheaper too.

Thanks again for your help!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:44 pm

Ultimately NYU will open more doors for you nationwide, but if you have big scholarships at UVA/Duke then I would consider attending one of those instead.

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:13 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:Ultimately NYU will open more doors for you nationwide
I've heard that from a few people. What do they mean by that? How will it open more doors?

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi all! I'm super excited to report that I'm planning to attend NYU in the fall!

Can anyone give advice on when is the best time to fly out (coming from the Midwest) to find an apartment? My husband and I (+ dog) plan to live in Brooklyn. Still undecided whether we will use a broker (but any advice on this point is greatly appreciated). I talked to a friend in NYC who said 4-6 weeks before we hope to move is a good time to come--so that sounds like mid- to late-July. Is that about right? Should we come earlier? Later?

Also, is moving one week before orientation going to be too much? I am in a wedding in MN (where we currently live) on August 12, and I know orientation starts the 23rd. I was hoping to not move until after the wedding, but might consider moving beforehand if that is going to make our lives much easier.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:28 pm

airwrecka wrote:Hi all! I'm super excited to report that I'm planning to attend NYU in the fall!

Can anyone give advice on when is the best time to fly out (coming from the Midwest) to find an apartment? My husband and I (+ dog) plan to live in Brooklyn. Still undecided whether we will use a broker (but any advice on this point is greatly appreciated). I talked to a friend in NYC who said 4-6 weeks before we hope to move is a good time to come--so that sounds like mid- to late-July. Is that about right? Should we come earlier? Later?

Also, is moving one week before orientation going to be too much? I am in a wedding in MN (where we currently live) on August 12, and I know orientation starts the 23rd. I was hoping to not move until after the wedding, but might consider moving beforehand if that is going to make our lives much easier.
We did mid-July, and it worked out fine. But that was for moving in at the beginning of August. I'm actually skeptical of anyone listing places 4-6 weeks in advance, because the market moves so damn fast out here. On that note, I think you'll be cutting it a little close to move out that late, and since most non-sublet leases start on the first of the month, you might have some real difficulty finding a place in that time-frame. I know it'll add stress to travel back for the wedding, but that sounds less stressful to me than trying to handle moving everything from MN to NY, getting situated in your new place, learning how to get around, and then going to orientation in the space of a week.

Definitely get a broker. Definitely plan to be out here for at least 1-2 days longer than you think you'll need to be. And have all your paperwork in order before you get here, including any information you'll need about your guarantor (unless your husband is fabulously wealthy and/or already has a job lined up). A broker will let you know exactly what you'll need in advance to avoid any problems at the signing stage.

Also, general tip: whenever you're at an apartment, don't just ask someone how long the commute is. Take out your phone and check. And also check to see if the main line you'd be taking to school runs on the weekends.

Edit: Feel free to PM if you have other questions. I was in a very similar situation last year, so I'm happy to let you know more about how it went.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:17 am

Another question:

Do 1Ls have classes on Fridays, and if so, does anyone know the latest a class would be on a Friday?

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:52 am

airwrecka wrote:Another question:

Do 1Ls have classes on Fridays, and if so, does anyone know the latest a class would be on a Friday?
Some sections- but only for Lawyering at 10am or so, and most of those classes get cancelled.

Generally

Gold

Post by Generally » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:26 am

Applesauce11 wrote:

Some sections- but only for Lawyering at 10am or so, and most of those classes get cancelled.
I think most sections had no class on Friday, unless you get the joy of make-up classes all the time. yay!

kumquat3

New

Post by kumquat3 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:12 am

Generally wrote:
Applesauce11 wrote:

I think most sections had no class on Friday, unless you get the joy of make-up classes all the time. yay!
Those Lawyering classes ended by 11:50 on Friday this year, and make-ups are typically held from 2-3:50, but those are most common in November and April right before the end of classes. Not sure if it's policy, but most Professors understand that you might have conflicts at that time and tape those make-up classes. Less so for Lawyering; given that it's ungraded, generally you are at the very least expected to show up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:00 am

Applesauce11 wrote:

On the other hand, there's a section who technically started this year with open Fridays and then ended up with early-morning classes on Friday in both semesters.

In general, I wouldn't build any major life plans around Fridays, unless you're very comfortable learning from recorded class sessions.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:04 am

Thanks for the help, all!

I am only specifically concerned about one Friday (of Labor Day weekend) because I have a friend getting married and would like to go to the wedding, but I wasn't sure how easy leaving would be. Sounds like a Friday night flight wouldn't be a problem (although honestly it might be cheaper for me to fly on Saturday anyway...we shall see).

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:49 am

You can just skip that Friday class if needed, I wouldn't worry about it.

Back when I was a 1L I had Friday morning classes both semesters, but thankfully they've been moving away from schedules like that.

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:21 pm

How many classes does one take during 1L? There are six required 1L courses and then electives. Do you take one elective or three?

http://www.law.nyu.edu/academics/course ... earcourses

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:59 am

TLS_Dreamer wrote:How many classes does one take during 1L? There are six required 1L courses and then electives. Do you take one elective or three?

You take three doctrinal classes per semester and lawyering (NYU's name for the Legal Writing class). Everyone takes civpro, torts, contracts, crim, and LRS (admin law). In your spring semester, you have one elective, but you can only select from a group of electives specifically for 1Ls (some of which are required classes for graduation): conlaw, property, international law, corporations, and tax.

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:06 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:How many classes does one take during 1L? There are six required 1L courses and then electives. Do you take one elective or three?

You take three doctrinal classes per semester and lawyering (NYU's name for the Legal Writing class). Everyone takes civpro, torts, contracts, crim, and LRS (admin law). In your spring semester, you have one elective, but you can only select from a group of electives specifically for 1Ls (some of which are required classes for graduation): conlaw, property, international law, corporations, and tax.
Thanks! Since other schools usually require 4 courses + legal writing per semester, do you think the workload at NYU is less? Or easier because there are fewer subjects to keep straight in your head?

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:36 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Thanks! Since other schools usually require 4 courses + legal writing per semester, do you think the workload at NYU is less? Or easier because there are fewer subjects to keep straight in your head?
Having legal writing as a pass/fail class is awesome because it can be a lot of work and it eases the pressure. I find the workload pretty manageable, and it's probably a lot better than other law schools in that respect, but the flip side is that the grades for each individual class are worth more for your GPA. It's definitely easier, but it's easier for everyone else as well, so the curve can be a shock for some people.

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:12 am

Applesauce11 wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Having legal writing as a pass/fail class is awesome because it can be a lot of work and it eases the pressure. I find the workload pretty manageable, and it's probably a lot better than other law schools in that respect, but the flip side is that the grades for each individual class are worth more for your GPA. It's definitely easier, but it's easier for everyone else as well, so the curve can be a shock for some people.
Oof, that's scary. 6 grades basically determine your fate haha.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sidequest

New

Post by sidequest » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:36 am

Hey all, I made an unbelievably massive mistake and didn't accept my scholarship in time (it's a very long, stressful story). When I got the email that the offer had expired I nearly had a heart attack. Has anyone on here experienced something similar, and has the office of financial aid been at all flexible about reinstating or reconsidering a scholarship if you've missed the acceptance deadline?

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:50 am

sidequest wrote:Hey all, I made an unbelievably massive mistake and didn't accept my scholarship in time (it's a very long, stressful story). When I got the email that the offer had expired I nearly had a heart attack. Has anyone on here experienced something similar, and has the office of financial aid been at all flexible about reinstating or reconsidering a scholarship if you've missed the acceptance deadline?
I missed a deadline as well, though not the one to accept my scholarship and I didn't get a letter of expiration, and it was okay. If you have a good explanation I would call them. The people I've spoken to seem very reasonable and understanding, although to be honest that is a big mistake and they might have moved your scholarship along to a later admit.

Good luck!

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:28 am

Is it still the case that your Dean's Scholarships will be reduced by 50% in your 3L year if you do a 2L SA?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:39 am

Veil of Ignorance wrote:Is it still the case that your Dean's Scholarships will be reduced by 50% in your 3L year if you do a 2L SA?
You should probably ask in the Class of 2020 thread. Some of the numbers I've seen mentioned this year show less than a 50% reduction.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”