NYU 1Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NoDayButToday

Silver

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Post by NoDayButToday » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:47 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

appind

Gold

Post by appind » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:53 pm

what kind of government jobs one can get to work in public-private or tri-sector partnerships in the civil division area (say, IP law or administrative law)after LS?

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:05 am

how much does NYU provide for 1l summer for those doing PI internships?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:24 am

20171lhopeful wrote:how much does NYU provide for 1l summer for those doing PI internships?
$4500 for 1L summer, $6000 for 2L.

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:28 pm

any ford foundation public interest summer fellows on this thread?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:39 pm

Can anyone (preferably 3Ls or alumni) speak to the quality of the career services office at NYU, and specifically the support for students who want to get a clerkship? Clerking is something that has recently become very attractive to me as a goal, and I'm wondering how NYU stands as far as making this a reality.

k5220

Bronze

Post by k5220 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:55 am

airwrecka wrote:Can anyone (preferably 3Ls or alumni) speak to the quality of the career services office at NYU, and specifically the support for students who want to get a clerkship? Clerking is something that has recently become very attractive to me as a goal, and I'm wondering how NYU stands as far as making this a reality.
There's a separate Judicial Clerkship Office geared toward helping students apply for and secure clerkships: http://www.law.nyu.edu/careerservices/j ... clerkships

kumquat3

New

Post by kumquat3 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:58 am

k5220 wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Can anyone (preferably 3Ls or alumni) speak to the quality of the career services office at NYU, and specifically the support for students who want to get a clerkship? Clerking is something that has recently become very attractive to me as a goal, and I'm wondering how NYU stands as far as making this a reality.
There's a separate Judicial Clerkship Office geared toward helping students apply for and secure clerkships: http://www.law.nyu.edu/careerservices/j ... clerkships
I can't speak as someone who has used the services directly, but I have only heard wonderful things about the assistance provided by the clerkship office and I really like the woman who runs (co-runs?) it. I think, like at many schools, some people think that the advice is overly conservative in terms of what clerkships they advise that your grades/resume will you competitive candidates for, but, unlike other schools, they don't actively discourage you from applying anywhere and are very enthusiastic about insisting that every NYU graduate can get a clerkship if they want one. They have fantastic data on the academic performance of past clerks broken down by circuit/maybe court (I haven't done a deep dive yet), so it's also easy to independently decide what courts might be the best fits for you.

Beyond clerkships, I have been extremely impressed by the quality of the public interest career counseling and the generosity of the counselors in problem solving for you (as a 1L, I've already come with a number of highly specialized questions that they've been fantastic at helping me work through). I've also been happy with the thoroughness of the preparation provided for the private sector job search, but I'm less familiar with that.

capnobvious123

New

Post by capnobvious123 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:35 pm

How difficult is it to form a new student organization, particularly as a 1L? Is it a fairly involved/time consuming process? Is there a lot of oversight (good or bad) from the school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:55 am

capnobvious123 wrote:How difficult is it to form a new student organization, particularly as a 1L? Is it a fairly involved/time consuming process? Is there a lot of oversight (good or bad) from the school?
My impression is that it's quite easy. Whether the organization will be around after you graduate is another story. The student org website has plenty of defunct organizations still listed.

What kind of organization were you thinking of forming? I can't think of anything that would be worth that kind of intense time commitment in 1L, especially if you weren't starting some kind of hyper-focused PI group that only works on an area you want to specialize in (and there's probably already a group doing that).

capnobvious123

New

Post by capnobvious123 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:50 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
capnobvious123 wrote:How difficult is it to form a new student organization, particularly as a 1L? Is it a fairly involved/time consuming process? Is there a lot of oversight (good or bad) from the school?
My impression is that it's quite easy. Whether the organization will be around after you graduate is another story. The student org website has plenty of defunct organizations still listed.

What kind of organization were you thinking of forming? I can't think of anything that would be worth that kind of intense time commitment in 1L, especially if you weren't starting some kind of hyper-focused PI group that only works on an area you want to specialize in (and there's probably already a group doing that).
Thanks, about what I figured.

I'm not even sure if a legit student org is the way to go, but I'm looking to find a way to set up an opportunity for myself to teach martial arts/self-defense classes for the law students/the university if it's viable. Really just need the ability to reserve an open space, that's about it, but figured it might be nice to have something formal organized for a resume, haha.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:11 pm

capnobvious123 wrote: Thanks, about what I figured.

I'm not even sure if a legit student org is the way to go, but I'm looking to find a way to set up an opportunity for myself to teach martial arts/self-defense classes for the law students/the university if it's viable. Really just need the ability to reserve an open space, that's about it, but figured it might be nice to have something formal organized for a resume, haha.
I mean, that won't really help with your resume, but I have to believe that there's some student group for NYU (the larger institution, not the law school) that would be looking for teachers.

However, speaking as someone who has had a little bit of martial arts experience, a real practice would make it very difficult for you to make time for anything else except studying and class prep. So just be aware of that.

capnobvious123

New

Post by capnobvious123 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:05 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
capnobvious123 wrote: Thanks, about what I figured.

I mean, that won't really help with your resume, but I have to believe that there's some student group for NYU (the larger institution, not the law school) that would be looking for teachers.

However, speaking as someone who has had a little bit of martial arts experience, a real practice would make it very difficult for you to make time for anything else except studying and class prep. So just be aware of that.
Yep, that's about what I figured too (and I guess you're right, out in the real law world no one is going to gaf about something like that, haha). It keeps me recharged so I was hoping that setting something up would end up being more of a de-stress than an added burden, but figured I'd play it by ear. Thanks for your help!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:08 pm

capnobvious123 wrote: Yep, that's about what I figured too (and I guess you're right, out in the real law world no one is going to gaf about something like that, haha). It keeps me recharged so I was hoping that setting something up would end up being more of a de-stress than an added burden, but figured I'd play it by ear. Thanks for your help!
No problem. And definitely check out the different services they offer on-campus. I'm probably going to see about getting into a local dojo myself next year, but I think the type of intense practice required to teach a regular class would be too much during 1L.

You've got the right idea, though. Keep doing the things that keep you sane. You just may need to scale back on your time commitment; that's all.

NYU_with_kids

New

Post by NYU_with_kids » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm considering going to NYU (full ride), but with a spouse and two kids. The campus housing options seem quite limited for a family, to say the least (there doesn't really seem to be anything if you have kids), and the private rental market in NYC is out of reach. Without decent housing, I'm not sure if this is even doable ...

Any thoughts or advice? Do you know classmates with kids who have have made it through NYU Law? How did that go?

Thanks!!

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:52 pm

NYU_with_kids wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm considering going to NYU (full ride), but with a spouse and two kids. The campus housing options seem quite limited for a family, to say the least (there doesn't really seem to be anything if you have kids), and the private rental market in NYC is out of reach. Without decent housing, I'm not sure if this is even doable ...

Any thoughts or advice? Do you know classmates with kids who have have made it through NYU Law? How did that go?

Thanks!!
I don't know anyone personally at NYU with kids- however, I do have two friends who are grad students in NYC that each have a kid, and they both live in Queens. The rental market there seems a lot more doable than Manhattan or Brooklyn, and parts of it are really family friendly. You would have a long commute though.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:39 pm

Thanks!!
I know of some families that live in the NYU housing, but yeah, it's rough. Get in touch with admissions and see if they have any resources to help you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Generally

Gold

Post by Generally » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:12 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:

Thanks!!
I know of some families that live in the NYU housing, but yeah, it's rough. Get in touch with admissions and see if they have any resources to help you.
I don't really think there are problems with student housing for a family. I don't have kids but my wife and I live in a pretty big place through student housing, and there are several families with kids on this floor. Why do you think it won't work for kids? If its room, I think that will be a challenge anywhere in the city, but we have two pretty big rooms. If you sacrificed having a separate living room, you would be alright.

NYU_with_kids

New

Post by NYU_with_kids » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:36 pm

Generally wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Thanks!!
I don't really think there are problems with student housing for a family. I don't have kids but my wife and I live in a pretty big place through student housing, and there are several families with kids on this floor. Why do you think it won't work for kids? If its room, I think that will be a challenge anywhere in the city, but we have two pretty big rooms. If you sacrificed having a separate living room, you would be alright.
Families with two (or more??) kids? That sounds very positive!! Thanks! I'll PM you right now.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:08 am

Generally wrote: I don't really think there are problems with student housing for a family. I don't have kids but my wife and I live in a pretty big place through student housing, and there are several families with kids on this floor. Why do you think it won't work for kids? If its room, I think that will be a challenge anywhere in the city, but we have two pretty big rooms. If you sacrificed having a separate living room, you would be alright.
The problem is that the student housing is obscenely overpriced (even by NY standards) if you're paying for an entire apartment. There might also be issues with living in a dorm when you have kids to worry about, but I know people have managed to do it.

Generally

Gold

Post by Generally » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:04 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Generally wrote: I don't really think there are problems with student housing for a family. I don't have kids but my wife and I live in a pretty big place through student housing, and there are several families with kids on this floor. Why do you think it won't work for kids? If its room, I think that will be a challenge anywhere in the city, but we have two pretty big rooms. If you sacrificed having a separate living room, you would be alright.
The problem is that the student housing is obscenely overpriced (even by NY standards) if you're paying for an entire apartment. There might also be issues with living in a dorm when you have kids to worry about, but I know people have managed to do it.
It's not really a dorm though. It's basically just an apartment building where students and professors live. Won't argue about the expensive part though. I just try to ignore my student loan debt.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:08 am

Someone asked about career services for clerkships, but how is it generally? I don't want to practice on the east coast, how helpful would they be?

Thanks!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:32 am

TLS_Dreamer wrote:Someone asked about career services for clerkships, but how is it generally? I don't want to practice on the east coast, how helpful would they be?

Thanks!
They're great about placing people out-of-state. I imagine it would be easier if you were shooting for California, since they're the biggest market at EIW outside of NY. But if you already have ties to another area, I'm sure they can help you with getting back there.

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:40 am

cavalier1138 wrote:They're great about placing people out-of-state. I imagine it would be easier if you were shooting for California, since they're the biggest market at EIW outside of NY. But if you already have ties to another area, I'm sure they can help you with getting back there.
Thanks! I have ties to Texas and want to practice biglaw or clerk there. But I'm worried about NYU being able to get me there...

tlee13

New

Post by tlee13 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:45 am

TLS_Dreamer wrote:Someone asked about career services for clerkships, but how is it generally? I don't want to practice on the east coast, how helpful would they be?

Thanks!
During the Clerkships Panel at ASD they actually said you have a fairly decent edge if you choose to apply to clerkships outside of NY and CA just due to the lack of interest most top prospects have in those areas. I'm not sure about Texas given that's still a fairly large market but it seemed as though you'd have really strong chances anywhere in the Midwest/South. One of the panelists was the woman that actually runs the Clerkship Office and she did everything but say that anyone that wants a clerkship from NYU can get one.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”