NYU 1Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
k5220

Bronze

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Post by k5220 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:53 pm

miku015 wrote:Does anyone that's taken Sharkey for Torts before know if it's worth purchasing the optional texts that she has on reserve @ the library? There's quite a few and I'm not sure how useful they are.
For the most part they really are optional, and Sharkey arranges a BUNCH of other stuff for you to do throughout the year (particularly going through practice problems with a TA for an hour or so outside of class each week) - you will be busy enough without the additional torts stories reading. You might find yourself wanting a supplement part way through the year, and then you can buy one of the books from her optional list if you find it necessary, but there's really no reason to buy everything in advance.

miku015

New

Post by miku015 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:03 am

k5220 wrote:
miku015 wrote:Does anyone that's taken Sharkey for Torts before know if it's worth purchasing the optional texts that she has on reserve @ the library? There's quite a few and I'm not sure how useful they are.
For the most part they really are optional, and Sharkey arranges a BUNCH of other stuff for you to do throughout the year (particularly going through practice problems with a TA for an hour or so outside of class each week) - you will be busy enough without the additional torts stories reading. You might find yourself wanting a supplement part way through the year, and then you can buy one of the books from her optional list if you find it necessary, but there's really no reason to buy everything in advance.
Good to know, thanks! It seemed a bit excessive for even law school standards to have to buy and read 10 books for a single class...

darlenealderson

Bronze

Post by darlenealderson » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:08 pm

Orientation dress code help?

Also, any tips on Torts with Geistfeld, CivPro with Hershkoff, and/or Crim with Murphy?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:52 pm

Any current students know how long it takes for loans to be disbursed if you have them set up to deposit directly to your bank account? My bursar account shows that the refund executed today, but I'm definitely not seeing anything yet. Is it dependent on your bank?

Edit: Never mind. Bursar just e-mailed the answer to everyone. This message definitely not brought to you by the last $50 in my checking account.

BuddyHoller

Bronze

Post by BuddyHoller » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:50 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Any current students know how long it takes for loans to be disbursed if you have them set up to deposit directly to your bank account? My bursar account shows that the refund executed today, but I'm definitely not seeing anything yet. Is it dependent on your bank?

Edit: Never mind. Bursar just e-mailed the answer to everyone. This message definitely not brought to you by the last $50 in my checking account.
My bank usually takes a day, but yeah, it's probably dependent on the institution.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:59 pm

There's some really good info on Sharkey on page 6 of this thread. If anybody out there has insights about Geoffrey Miller for Civ Pro (particularly what his final exams are like ... can't seem to find anything out there so far) that would be excellent. Also interested in Richard R.W. Brooks for Contracts, though he's a visiting prof from Columbia so maybe I'll have more luck in a Columbia thread. Thanks in advance!

ETA: Turns out there are a couple old G. Miller exams on the NYU Exam Archive, both look pretty straightforward ... they are from 2005 and 2004, but I guess it's unlikely he changed his exam approach drastically?

petitprince

New

Post by petitprince » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:15 pm

Hi there!
I am not quite sure how this thread works - would it be not welcome to ask for PS advice/review here?
I am aiming for 2017 entry and currently working through my applications. Would really appreciate if someone can offer some advice on my PS/other materials, or is willing to have a chat when I visit the school in October - please write me a private message!

Thanks a ton, :)

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:08 pm

Two questions:

1. If I were to attend NYU, I'd be living at home in Queens (think Forest Hills) area and commuting about an hour to class. The actual commute isn't my concern - I had to travel to high school in lower Manhattan which was an hour if I was lucky. But I have to ask - are there any drawbacks to me living farther out?

2. Anyone here have experience w/ doing dual degree programs AND wanting to do OCI/BigLaw? I've seen posts on TLS about first years completing their dual degree, or others who chose to give it up entirely. I don't have a particularly good reason, and I still don't know much about what having that degree entails in the long run, but I wanted to ask anyway.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:26 pm

clueless801 wrote:Two questions:

1. If I were to attend NYU, I'd be living at home in Queens (think Forest Hills) area and commuting about an hour to class. The actual commute isn't my concern - I had to travel to high school in lower Manhattan which was an hour if I was lucky. But I have to ask - are there any drawbacks to me living farther out?

2. Anyone here have experience w/ doing dual degree programs AND wanting to do OCI/BigLaw? I've seen posts on TLS about first years completing their dual degree, or others who chose to give it up entirely. I don't have a particularly good reason, and I still don't know much about what having that degree entails in the long run, but I wanted to ask anyway.
1. Aside from the commute, no. Just realize that you are going to be travelling much later at night, so that may affect your ability to take some subway lines.

2. I don't have this experience, but I know almost all JD/MBAs go to big firms. What would your second degree be in?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:05 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
clueless801 wrote:Two questions:

1. Aside from the commute, no. Just realize that you are going to be travelling much later at night, so that may affect your ability to take some subway lines.

2. I don't have this experience, but I know almost all JD/MBAs go to big firms. What would your second degree be in?
The LLM in International Law. I'm very interested in International Arbitration, and wanted to be competitive with those with European law degrees. Some of the bios that I've seen of those who work in the field have that extra LLM if they were American school educated.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:07 pm

You can easily get a job with a firm that does a lot of IA without the LLM. I'd say to save your money and not worry about it.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:17 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:You can easily get a job with a firm that does a lot of IA without the LLM. I'd say to save your money and not worry about it.
This is absolutely accurate.

Also, unless I'm mis-remembering, NYU doesn't even allow you to apply for the JD/LLM until you've been here for a year. So I wouldn't focus on that right now.

jessuan

New

Post by jessuan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:19 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm applying for the RTK, and I know there are some scholarships within that program, such as Lindemann, Sinsheimer, etc. If I want to apply for one of the scholarships and the RTK, do I write two separate essays? Or one specifically for a scholarship like the Sinsheimer, and that same essay will be considered for the RTK generally? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MeganB

New

Post by MeganB » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:52 am

Last edited by MeganB on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:02 pm

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

hangold

New

Post by hangold » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:47 am

zeglo wrote:1. Do LSAT/GPA matter for the Jacobson Business scholarship once you are admitted initially?
2. If I decide I want to do the JD/MBA, it looks like the LSAT can be used in lieu of GMAT. Is it common for students to apply to JD/MBA as 1Ls or 2Ls?
I'm unsure of how common it is, but I wouldn't consider it rare by any means. We just had a JD/MBA informational meeting in Nov for current 1L/2Ls interested in pursuing a JD/MBA.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Are any of you interested in entertainment/sports law/able to speak on the resources and courses NYU has regarding entertainment/sports law?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:11 pm

brinicolec wrote:Are any of you interested in entertainment/sports law/able to speak on the resources and courses NYU has regarding entertainment/sports law?
I'm not interested in entertainment law, but I can at least give a quick overview. At NYU those are distinctive categories - sport law falls a bit more under antitrust/competition and entertainment law falls more under IP/technology law. We have a good array of courses (Sports Law, Entertainment Law, Fashion Law, Mass Media Law, Startup Law, etc.). There's also the Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law Society, and the Journal of Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law. I don't know too much about resources but I've heard that it's pretty doable to get summer positions in sports or entertainment law, especially in New York. Job-wise, I'd maybe say to look into law firms that have big clients in the entertainment industry - maybe you can get hired to work in-house for one of those clients later in your career!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:05 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Are any of you interested in entertainment/sports law/able to speak on the resources and courses NYU has regarding entertainment/sports law?
I'm not interested in entertainment law, but I can at least give a quick overview. At NYU those are distinctive categories - sport law falls a bit more under antitrust/competition and entertainment law falls more under IP/technology law. We have a good array of courses (Sports Law, Entertainment Law, Fashion Law, Mass Media Law, Startup Law, etc.). There's also the Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law Society, and the Journal of Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law. I don't know too much about resources but I've heard that it's pretty doable to get summer positions in sports or entertainment law, especially in New York. Job-wise, I'd maybe say to look into law firms that have big clients in the entertainment industry - maybe you can get hired to work in-house for one of those clients later in your career!
Thanks for responding. So to be clear, they don't have any specific curriculum for it (like UCLA for example), but they DO have a fair amt of courses related to it?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:24 am

brinicolec wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:
Thanks for responding. So to be clear, they don't have any specific curriculum for it (like UCLA for example), but they DO have a fair amt of courses related to it?
Yes. There's also a student group or two devoted to that field, and I know there was at least one guest speaker this semester who was there to talk about a career in sports law.

iamavoyager

New

Post by iamavoyager » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:12 am

Thanks for this!

Are there many people who are alum from NYU? Do you if they went for UG or grad?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lordcarnus123

New

Post by Lordcarnus123 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:23 pm

I just got my scholarship notification. COA estimate for 2017 less tuition is $29,784 (eeek....). In your experience, how over/under are NYU's estimates?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:33 pm

Lordcarnus123 wrote:I just got my scholarship notification. COA estimate for 2017 less tuition is $29,784 (eeek....). In your experience, how over/under are NYU's estimates?
Generally over, but NYC is expensive. My advice would be to take out the full amount first year and see what you have left. Then you can reduce your amounts in the second and third year accordingly. I would strongly advise against trying to guess at your expenses before actually living in the city, because you will always underestimate.

Also, bear in mind that you'll probably be making around $4,500 your first summer (unless you're really gunning for a firm and are lucky enough to land a 1L SA).

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:27 pm

Lordcarnus123 wrote:I just got my scholarship notification. COA estimate for 2017 less tuition is $29,784 (eeek....). In your experience, how over/under are NYU's estimates?
You should take the full amount- the $4500 in summer funding you'll get for 1L summer is barely enough to cover rent, I'm finding out. Part of the CoA should go to savings for the summer. Also, NYC is a lot more expensive than you think. The cost of groceries alone is staggering, and subway prices are about to go up as well.

jessuan

New

Post by jessuan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:34 pm

So I was notified that I was selected for an interview today for the Latinx Rights Scholarship. Are any of you/do you know anyone that is a current scholar or has been one? I have some questions that I'd like to PM them

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”