NYU 1Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Platinum

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Post by 03152016 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:42 pm

pylon wrote:Thanks for doing this! What made you choose NYU over your other options?
first, placement and cost. biglaw placement is strong, 87% success rate at oci and it's been ticking up. as for cost, nyu isn't known for its generosity, but if you get aid, you tend to get a decent chunk of it.
the village has always been my favorite part of the city. been haunting the jazz clubs down here for many years (rest of the music scene in the village isn't what it used to be, but it's still there. and the LES is legit, plus you're proximate to willyb, bushwick, bed stuy, etc). worked here before ls too.
it's a great place to experience ny. the other schools in ny give you a much different nyc experience. not necessarily better or worse, it just depends on what you're looking for
this is a place where you'll run into guys wearing brooks brothers, artists, punks, drag queens, stay at home moms, skaters, and crazies. there are small bookstores and raucous bars, indie theaters and 24 hour sex shops, michelin starred restaurants and great street food. everything is open late. some people like that, some don't. you should spend a day (and night) here and see if it's right for you

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:44 pm

Many of my friends are in my section and I have to say I genuinely like everyone in my section. From an academic standpoint - everyone's willing to share notes and outlines, people voluntarily sent out scans of the readings when the bookstore didn't have enough copies of our Leg Reg casebook in at the beginning of the semester, and no one seems to be competitive here.

In general it's super easy to meet people and socialize here, especially if you join student organizations (which is also a great way to get to know 2Ls/3Ls/LLMs that you won't have in your classes for the first year).

The only thing that I dislike about NYU is the winter weather, but that's because I'm from the Bay Area and I'm used to spring starting in February. :(

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:48 pm

tk17 wrote:
barrelofmonkeys wrote: 1. PI reputation / LRAP: this was really, really huge for me, as I fully intend to pursue PI
2. scholarship money: if i had gotten nothing from NYU, i wouldn't have come here over a lower-ranked school. (that said, NYU is one of the least generous in terms of scholarship money and i had to push them multiple times to get from a $0 scholarship to something worth my while)
1) Are you worried at all about LRAP (also a big selling point for me) changing if PSLF gets capped or restructured in some way?

2) Can you give a little more detail about the process of negotiating aid?
i'll speak to the second part
it's a fairly standard process. you'll get an aid package. you'll have the option to appeal it, and you should. if you have other acceptances/aid packages from other schools, tell nyu about it.
i continued to negotiate long after my appeal was denied, even going in person twice. it paid off big time. if you think you underperformed on the aid side and really want to attend, be persistent even after the formal process ends.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:52 pm

Skool wrote:I'm curious to hear success/fail stories in negotiating with NYU, particularly from $0. Was the experience something like if you don't have HYS/CCN offers, don't even bother, or could MVP, etc. be put into play.
i had no other offers on the table from any other law school and ended up with significant aid, starting from 0
lot of factors at play, numbers that made my appeal plausible, demonstrated need, found an advocate in the fin aid office
not a standard outcome for sure. but it was worth the effort for me. maybe it'll be for you.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:53 pm

hereisonehand wrote:how often does brut get picked on by other students?
old brut would have said something about throwing stones from glass houses
but that was old brut

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:55 pm

Brut wrote:
hereisonehand wrote:how often does brut get picked on by other students?
old brut would have said something about throwing stones from glass houses
but that was old brut
[every minute of every day]

[just kidding]

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:58 pm

4LTsPointingNorth wrote:What's the 1L curriculum like? How are the inter and intra section dynamics? Favorite least favorite aspects of law school generally and NYU specifically so far?
i really like our lrw program. we do the standard legal research and writing stuff, closed and open memo, brief, oral argument. but we also do client interviewing and consultation, negotiating a contract, business and financial literacy stuff, etc. when i heard nyu had a unique lrw program i assumed it was fluff, but it really does cover more ground, and isn't restricted to lit
we also have to take legreg. not my cup of tea, but some people like it
for electives, you get to pick from property, conlaw, corps, tax, international law. you're required to take prop and con before graduation. it's fine. the mandatory doctrinals are par for the course

hopeboaltberkeley

Bronze

Post by hopeboaltberkeley » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:13 am

How approachable are professors?

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:06 am

hopeboaltberkeley wrote:How approachable are professors?
I'm sure this is the same everywhere to be honest, but extremely. Office hours/lunches with profs are common.

We also have something that just started this year called reading groups. You and like 8 other students are paired with a prof (you rank your interest in different subjects) and go to their house 4 times a year and have free booze/food and talk about the readings. Its neat.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:25 am

What are the most fun student groups? The booziest? (Note: those are two separate questions!)

pylon

Silver

Post by pylon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:23 am

Thanks for your responses! It's really great that you all are offering to do this, I'll definitely be checking up on this thread over the next little while.

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:29 pm

4LTsPointingNorth wrote:What are the most fun student groups? The booziest? (Note: those are two separate questions!)
I think most of the student groups are pretty boozy! And what is most fun depends on your interests. I've had a lot of fun with law dems.

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:40 pm

4LTsPointingNorth wrote:What are the most fun student groups? The booziest? (Note: those are two separate questions!)
yah there is no shortage of free alcohol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:00 pm

How did you decide between living in campus housing and living off campus?

If you lived off campus, did you have much trouble finding a place? Did you live with other NYU Law students in 1L.

Does not living on campus in 1L affect your social life?

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:18 pm

alloverthat wrote:How did you decide between living in campus housing and living off campus?

If you lived off campus, did you have much trouble finding a place? Did you live with other NYU Law students in 1L.

I live on campus and I don't regret it one bit. The rooms are tiny, but decent enough, and there are tons of other 1Ls living on campus. It feels a bit like a dorm, so if that really bothers you, then I'd urge at least caution.

One of the reasons I decided to live on campus is that it's extremely close to school (leave at 8:57, be in my seat by 8:59) and very convenient for a number of other reasons. It's nice to not have to worry about dealing with a landlord. If there's ever a problem in my apartment, maintenance comes to fix it practically immediately. There's 24 hour security, they accept all of your packages, and there's a lounge within the building. Living here (in D'ag) has really been very stress-free (which is nice, because 1L is stressful enough).

I highly recommend living on campus for 1L year at least (and I'm staying for 2L year actually).

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:36 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
alloverthat wrote:How did you decide between living in campus housing and living off campus?

I live on campus and I don't regret it one bit. The rooms are tiny, but decent enough, and there are tons of other 1Ls living on campus. It feels a bit like a dorm, so if that really bothers you, then I'd urge at least caution.

One of the reasons I decided to live on campus is that it's extremely close to school (leave at 8:57, be in my seat by 8:59) and very convenient for a number of other reasons. It's nice to not have to worry about dealing with a landlord. If there's ever a problem in my apartment, maintenance comes to fix it practically immediately. There's 24 hour security, they accept all of your packages, and there's a lounge within the building. Living here (in D'ag) has really been very stress-free (which is nice, because 1L is stressful enough).

I highly recommend living on campus for 1L year at least (and I'm staying for 2L year actually).
Agree with all of this. Also a lot of other 1Ls live in Dag or Mercer, so its easy to get a group of friends together here.

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:26 am

Thanks for the replies! Had initially thought I would live off campus for sure, but I actually like the idea of living in for the first year to acclimatize.

Nerd question (I promise I'm not a gunner, I just keep strange hours): are the libraries open 24/7?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post removed.

Post by Nekrowizard » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:21 am

Post removed.
Last edited by Nekrowizard on Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:28 pm

alloverthat wrote:Thanks for the replies! Had initially thought I would live off campus for sure, but I actually like the idea of living in for the first year to acclimatize.

Nerd question (I promise I'm not a gunner, I just keep strange hours): are the libraries open 24/7?
The law library is not (as mentioned above), but the undergraduate library (Bobst), which is about a 3 minute walk from both D'ag and Mercer, is open 24/7.

arsenal11

New

Post by arsenal11 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:45 pm

I was initially awarded $0 in merit aid. I'm waiting to hear from a few other schools before I appeal, but I don't want to wait too much longer since the seat deposit is due May 1st. Do $100k+ offers from Emory and Vanderbilt have any value as bargaining chips? My initial thought is no but that it can't hurt to try. NYU is my top choice.

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:39 pm

arsenal11 wrote:I was initially awarded $0 in merit aid. I'm waiting to hear from a few other schools before I appeal, but I don't want to wait too much longer since the seat deposit is due May 1st. Do $100k+ offers from Emory and Vanderbilt have any value as bargaining chips? My initial thought is no but that it can't hurt to try. NYU is my top choice.
The turnaround time on negotiations isn't that bad; iirc, most of my negotiating happened in April, so you're okay waiting to hear about some more scholarships. That said, if you want to play back and forth between the schools, then you might want to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later.

But ultimately (and unfortunately), those offers aren't going to influence NYU too much. They're pretty tight with money. I might wait until you have an offer from a "peer" school. But that's just my two cents--I don't really know what's best.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

arsenal11

New

Post by arsenal11 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:45 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
arsenal11 wrote:I was initially awarded $0 in merit aid. I'm waiting to hear from a few other schools before I appeal, but I don't want to wait too much longer since the seat deposit is due May 1st. Do $100k+ offers from Emory and Vanderbilt have any value as bargaining chips? My initial thought is no but that it can't hurt to try. NYU is my top choice.
The turnaround time on negotiations isn't that bad; iirc, most of my negotiating happened in April, so you're okay waiting to hear about some more scholarships. That said, if you want to play back and forth between the schools, then you might want to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later.

But ultimately (and unfortunately), those offers aren't going to influence NYU too much. They're pretty tight with money. I might wait until you have an offer from a "peer" school. But that's just my two cents--I don't really know what's best.
Thanks. Hoping to have decisions from peer schools by the end of the month.

hill1334

New

Post by hill1334 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:33 am

Thank you for taking questions. Would any 1Ls who participated in the IILJ Scholars Program be able to provided any insights into what it means to be considered as a finalist for the program and how the rest of the application process goes after being named a finalist? Specifically, I would be interested in knowing if, as a finalist, I actually have a strong chance of being offered the scholarship, or if I am still just one of a couple hundred people vying for 10 or 15 spots. Also, I would be interested in knowing if individuals who are named finalists but are not awarded the scholarship tend to receive merit based aid in excess of what would be expected based off of their numbers.

Thanks!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:54 am

hey guys do u know any current/former RTK people on TLS? looking for someone to talk to about the interview an stuff

kfb2112

New

Post by kfb2112 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:34 am

Would also love to talk to someone about RTK if possible!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”