NYU 1Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Thu May 28, 2015 10:24 pm

newforllm wrote:If they don't get a temporary gym, does anyone have any thoughts on any of the private gyms? I've been looking at NYSC and Equinox. Anyone have any thoughts on either of those or other options around the law school? Also, is there a spot near NYU for running (similar to the spot around the reservoir in Central Park)?
I think the university is planning 404 Lafayette as a temporary replacement for Coles.

Also, I think they aren't closing Coles until the replacement is open, but I'm not sure I'm reading this document correctly:
Coles will not be closed until a firm timeline has been established and communicated and not until alternatives, including the interim facility replacing Coles are open and operational.

flowering

New

Post by flowering » Thu May 28, 2015 10:49 pm

Last edited by flowering on Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Thu May 28, 2015 11:15 pm

flowering wrote:Can someone post a sample schedule of a day as a 1L at NYU?
Sure! To give you a better sense, I'm giving you a fake (but realistic) schedule from fall semester.
1. Note that Lawyering ends at least a few weeks before finals start, so you won't have those Lawyering classes to go to, and a lot of them earlier in the semester get cancelled too (e.g., you might have two weeks without Lawyering "class" but instead need to go to a simulation and a group critique conference, or something like that).
2. Instead of torts, you might have crim. But otherwise, this is basically the 1L Fall schedule at NYU.
3. Doctrinal classes are an hour and fifty minutes (except for a 50 minute civ pro class) and you *usually* get a 10 minute break in the middle.

Monday:
civ pro 9-10:50 AM
lawyering 11:30-12:20 PM
torts 2-3:50 PM

Tuesday:
lawyering 9-10:50 AM
contracts 12-1:50 PM

Wednesday:
civ pro 9-10:50 AM

Thursday:
civ pro 9-9:50 AM
contracts 10-11:50 AM
torts 2-3:50 PM

Friday:
lawyering 9-10:50 AM

flowering

New

Post by flowering » Thu May 28, 2015 11:22 pm

Last edited by flowering on Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Synch

Bronze

Post by Synch » Fri May 29, 2015 11:05 am

My schedule actually looked pretty different from the one above - it was more like this:

Monday:
9-10:50, 2-3:50

Tuesday:
10-10:50, 2-3:50

Wednesday:

Thursday:

Friday:
9-10:50, 12-1:50

Cold calling depends on the professor. My civ pro professor told us the day before we were going to be cold called, so that allowed us to prepare. Some professors will stay with you for 15-20 minutes, asking follow up questions - others will quickly go to another person if they see you're stumped. It really depends.

I think the key is to not stress about it too much. Do the reading, prepare for class - but no one will judge you for getting a question wrong, or not understanding where the professor is going. The questions can be hard, and there's no shame in not knowing the answer. The worst is when someone gets called on who clearly hasn't done the reading. That's more problematic.

As for studying...for about 2/3rds of the semester, I generally worked at school, doing readings in between class, and maybe an hour or so at night. Unless I had a lawyering brief/memo, that was generally sufficient. So I'd say maybe 3-4 hours at day, tops. Finals, inevitably, is quite a bit more than that - I just stayed in the library until I couldn't handle it anymore.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Fri May 29, 2015 11:21 am

Thanks a lot for all your responses!

That schedule looks really manageable, which is great to hear

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Fri May 29, 2015 5:08 pm

there are so many different styles of "cold-calling" but my general advice is to just go to class having done the reading and you'll be fine

some profs won't cold call at all, but try not to let that make you slack

eta:
i spent a couple of hours (2-4) doing my reading each day (though this could certainly be flexible--some days i did absolutely no schoolwork and i rarely did much on weekends)

finals, yep, different story

Smoking Gunner

New

Post by Smoking Gunner » Sun May 31, 2015 11:56 am

Can someone give a brief overview of what we do during orientation? Is it just 1-2 events every day or is it more of an all-day kinda thing?

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Sun May 31, 2015 12:13 pm

Smoking Gunner wrote:Can someone give a brief overview of what we do during orientation? Is it just 1-2 events every day or is it more of an all-day kinda thing?
it's more like an all-day thing, though not all of the events are "mandatory"
i honestly...can't really remember it very well
i remember there was lawyering (LRW class), there are some mixers and things, there are lecture-style events to help you with case-briefing and that sort of thing.

you'll get a schedule at some point this summer (if it's not already up on the admitted students website) but plan to be hanging around campus most of the day during orientation

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Smoking Gunner

New

Post by Smoking Gunner » Sun May 31, 2015 12:22 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
Smoking Gunner wrote:Can someone give a brief overview of what we do during orientation? Is it just 1-2 events every day or is it more of an all-day kinda thing?
it's more like an all-day thing, though not all of the events are "mandatory"
i honestly...can't really remember it very well
i remember there was lawyering (LRW class), there are some mixers and things, there are lecture-style events to help you with case-briefing and that sort of thing.

you'll get a schedule at some point this summer (if it's not already up on the admitted students website) but plan to be hanging around campus most of the day during orientation
Cool, thanks!

AOT

Gold

Post by AOT » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:22 am

Can students take language classes for free? I saw something about a weekly discussion group, but interested in more structured courses too

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:42 pm

alloverthat wrote:Can students take language classes for free? I saw something about a weekly discussion group, but interested in more structured courses too
this should answer most of your questions: http://www.law.nyu.edu/recordsandregist ... rtsscience

there's a small fee, it looks like

k5220

Bronze

Post by k5220 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:23 pm

barrelofmonkeys wrote:
alloverthat wrote:Can students take language classes for free? I saw something about a weekly discussion group, but interested in more structured courses too
this should answer most of your questions: http://www.law.nyu.edu/recordsandregist ... rtsscience

there's a small fee, it looks like
there's also a "spanish for lawyers" class offered about once a year by the law school

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

newforllm

New

Post by newforllm » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:23 pm

If anyone is still here, what kind of places do law students go to for drinking? Are there some good chill bars around NYU? Are most students interested in clubs? Is there interaction with NYU grad students in other disciplines? Are there stereotypical undergrad bars to stay away from if one isn't interested in not being able to stand without people running into them?

Do NYU students interact with other law students in NY (other than ones they happened to know from before law school)?

Synch

Bronze

Post by Synch » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:27 pm

newforllm wrote:If anyone is still here, what kind of places do law students go to for drinking? Are there some good chill bars around NYU? Are most students interested in clubs? Is there interaction with NYU grad students in other disciplines? Are there stereotypical undergrad bars to stay away from if one isn't interested in not being able to stand without people running into them?

Do NYU students interact with other law students in NY (other than ones they happened to know from before law school)?
Good, chill bars? There are 5 within two or three blocks of campus, just off the top of my head. We're in the West Village, there isn't a block without a good bar. Obviously not all of them are super chill, but you get my drift.

I personally didn't get involved in clubs during 1L, but I would say it seems as though the majority did (and many were in 2 or 3). Considering I didn't live on campus, I wasn't willing to stay downtown very late, and I had other things I'd rather be doing. I may get involved next year, however.

The only other grad students I met this year were at the gym. During 2L/3L, you can take classes at the business school, and vice-versa, so you could meet a few that way. The school also sponsors a few drinking/socializing events for all grads, but I've never been to any of them.

As for undergrads, you're actually about a 10 minute walk from the main campus, such as it is, so there isn't much interaction. The bars around the law school seem to be pretty free of undergrads - but I'm not the biggest parties, so perhaps others may want to chime in on this.

Met a few Columbia students, but only because I live near their campus - and Dean's Cup, I suppose. Haven't met any other LS students (and wouldn't want to...as relaxed as NYU's class generally is, being around law students all day is exhausting).

BuddyHoller

Bronze

Post by BuddyHoller » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:38 pm

newforllm wrote:If anyone is still here, what kind of places do law students go to for drinking? Are there some good chill bars around NYU? Are most students interested in clubs? Is there interaction with NYU grad students in other disciplines? Are there stereotypical undergrad bars to stay away from if one isn't interested in not being able to stand without people running into them?

There are bars to fit just about any preference within a few blocks of campus. I am sure everyone has favorites but it's all down to personal preference. What type of place are you looking for?

The only place I would run into law students from other schools is at firm events in the spring, but even most of those were NYU exclusive. The summer events that are going on now are a free-for-all in terms of schools, though.

jj2hawks

New

Post by jj2hawks » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:56 pm

How often do you have the time to just explore the city ? not a huge city guy but I feel like it would be awesome to spend 3 years there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

barrelofmonkeys

Gold

Post by barrelofmonkeys » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:11 pm

jj2hawks wrote:How often do you have the time to just explore the city ? not a huge city guy but I feel like it would be awesome to spend 3 years there.
earlier question about bars: 3 sheets :)

as to exploring the city--i think i had TIME to do it, but i don't think i usually had ENERGY to do, but i'm a naturally pretty lazy person

i think if exploring the city is something you want to do, you very easily have time to go out and do so

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:15 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BuddyHoller

Bronze

Post by BuddyHoller » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:24 pm

NoBladesNoBows wrote:Does anyone know when we get our class schedule?
The schedule itself is out, but you won't find out what your section is until a week or two before orientation.

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:33 pm

Last edited by NoBladesNoBows on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BuddyHoller

Bronze

Post by BuddyHoller » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:35 pm

NoBladesNoBows wrote:
BuddyHoller wrote:
NoBladesNoBows wrote:Does anyone know when we get our class schedule?
The schedule itself is out, but you won't find out what your section is until a week or two before orientation.
Where? I am apparently failing at Google.
https://its.law.nyu.edu/cms/public/sche ... &showall=1

NoBladesNoBows

Silver

Post by NoBladesNoBows » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:38 pm

tls123456789

New

Post by tls123456789 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:03 am

Hi guys, thanks for doing this...

I'm a 0L attending this Fall and I may have to take on a part-time job during 1L. I'm hoping to get some sort of a position at a law firm.

Has anyone had experience with a part-time job at a law firm during their 1L, or know someone that has? What was that like? If you don't mind answering, what was the pay?

Would really appreciate some input on this

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:31 am

tls123456789 wrote:Hi guys, thanks for doing this...

I'm a 0L attending this Fall and I may have to take on a part-time job during 1L. I'm hoping to get some sort of a position at a law firm.

Has anyone had experience with a part-time job at a law firm during their 1L, or know someone that has? What was that like? If you don't mind answering, what was the pay?

Would really appreciate some input on this
I don't know anyone who had a part-time job at a law firm during 1L - I definitely don't recommend it, especially during the fall semester when everything is hectic and you're freaking out because you don't know how to prepare for a final exam that's worth your entire grade. Law school is crazy expensive so I know you may be inclined to look for a job (or maybe you have to get a job, I'm not sure what your loan situation is). At the same time, you don't want to do anything that detracts from academics considering how much 1L grades matter when applying to jobs. Consider taking a bit more out in loans if you can, since if you do well academically you'll be positioning yourself to pay off your loans that much faster. Just something to keep in mind!

That being said, I know a few people who picked up school-related jobs during spring semester (no one for fall that I know of though). I did a research assistant position in late spring, which was great since it allowed me to connect with a professor and do some interesting work while also getting paid. I think all the RA positions are around $12/hour. I know another person who worked at the school coat check but I don't know how much they made. Lexis sometimes hires spring 1L representatives so that's an option too, I think also in the $12/hour range. School-related jobs might be a good option for you because they'll be really flexible once final exams roll around.

Sorry this didn't entirely answer your question but I hope it helps anyway!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”