NYU 1Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
k5220

Bronze

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Post by k5220 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:37 am

Applesauce11 wrote:I have a question about 1l summer funding. It says on the NYU website that 1ls get $4500 for all public interest and government unpaid work. Does this extend to judicial internships?
Yes- it covers all international judicial internships and domestic judicial internships for 1L summer for 1L only

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:42 am

k5220 wrote:
Applesauce11 wrote:I have a question about 1l summer funding. It says on the NYU website that 1ls get $4500 for all public interest and government unpaid work. Does this extend to judicial internships?
Yes- it covers all international judicial internships and domestic judicial internships for 1L summer for 1L only
Thanks!

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:27 pm

When grades are finally released, will we get an email notification, or do I need to regularly check Albert?

BuddyHoller

Bronze

Post by BuddyHoller » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:40 pm

Skool wrote:When grades are finally released, will we get an email notification, or do I need to regularly check Albert?
No default announcement. Some profs send an email through classes to let you know they submitted grades but many don't. I think it was 50/50 for me over 1L.

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:04 pm

BuddyHoller wrote:No default announcement. Some profs send an email through classes to let you know they submitted grades but many don't. I think it was 50/50 for me over 1L.
Bah. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:34 pm

Last edited by NoDayButToday on Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:05 pm

Would someone who has taken tax courses at NYU mind PMing me?

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:24 pm

Bump for new admits

Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

Post by Loney M. Setnick » Sat May 07, 2016 9:19 am

Hi, thanks for taking questions! I know it's early to ask, but I saw that you can take Torts and Crim fall or spring. Which of the two is harder? Which would you recommend taking in the fall?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Sat May 07, 2016 9:23 am

Loney M. Setnick wrote:Hi, thanks for taking questions! I know it's early to ask, but I saw that you can take Torts and Crim fall or spring. Which of the two is harder? Which would you recommend taking in the fall?
If you check the Fall 2016 schedule, they changed it to contracts or crim- torts is now in the fall:

http://its.law.nyu.edu/cms/public/sched ... &showall=1

Also I am pretty sure our schedules are assigned- can a current student say when we are notified about this?

Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

Post by Loney M. Setnick » Sat May 07, 2016 9:53 am

Applesauce11 wrote:
If you check the Fall 2016 schedule, they changed it to contracts or crim- torts is now in the fall:

Also I am pretty sure our schedules are assigned- can a current student say when we are notified about this?
Thanks for this! What makes you think the schedules are assigned?
Also, my question amended: which is harder - contracts or crim?

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Sat May 07, 2016 9:58 am

Loney M. Setnick wrote:
Applesauce11 wrote:

Thanks for this! What makes you think the schedules are assigned?
Also, my question amended: which is harder - contracts or crim?
Under the FAQs page on the Admitted Students site:
12. When will we get our class schedules?
Class schedules will be available no later than orientation.

13. How are first-year sections assigned? How many sections are there?
Students who have confirmed their enrollment will be randomly assigned by lottery to one of five sections. Each section is typically comprised of approximately 90 students and is further divided into lawyering groups with approximately 30 students.
I really don't want to wait until orientation though! I think we do get to choose electives in the second semester however. :)

Loney M. Setnick

Bronze

Post by Loney M. Setnick » Sat May 07, 2016 10:13 am

Loney M. Setnick wrote: Thanks for this! What makes you think the schedules are assigned?
Applesauce11 wrote: Under the FAQs page on the Admitted Students site:
lol, thanks...should've checked there myself :oops:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon May 30, 2016 3:31 pm

Sorry, just realized that no current students came on to answer! Yes, schedules are assigned, and my class year was able to see our schedules at the end of July.

Contracts is usually a little harder than Crim, but it all depends on who your professor is.

And yes, you can pick an elective in the second semester! The choices are normally Constitutional Law and Property (you'll have to take both of these before you graduate anyway), International Law, Corporations, Income Tax, and Intellectual Property.

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Mon May 30, 2016 4:20 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:Sorry, just realized that no current students came on to answer! Yes, schedules are assigned, and my class year was able to see our schedules at the end of July.

Contracts is usually a little harder than Crim, but it all depends on who your professor is.

And yes, you can pick an elective in the second semester! The choices are normally Constitutional Law and Property (you'll have to take both of these before you graduate anyway), International Law, Corporations, Income Tax, and Intellectual Property.
Thanks for answering! Are Constitutional Law and Property classes hard to get into after 1l? How common are waitlists for classes?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon May 30, 2016 4:45 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:Sorry, just realized that no current students came on to answer! Yes, schedules are assigned, and my class year was able to see our schedules at the end of July.

Totally unrelated (well, semi-unrelated) question:

If I, like everybody and their mother, want to get into the EJI clinic, is there an ideal time to shoot for it? I know this is slightly early for me to be asking, but I'm thinking that I'll want to choose my spring elective based on the clinic I want to try for in 2L.

BuddyHoller

Bronze

Post by BuddyHoller » Mon May 30, 2016 4:52 pm

Applesauce11 wrote:

Thanks for answering! Are Constitutional Law and Property classes hard to get into after 1l? How common are waitlists for classes?
Some of the sections will fill up, some won't. Almost all are available if you are willing to bid enough abra points on them. During 1L Con Law definitely fills up and some people will have to wait but Property will not.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Tue May 31, 2016 10:23 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:

Totally unrelated (well, semi-unrelated) question:

If I, like everybody and their mother, want to get into the EJI clinic, is there an ideal time to shoot for it? I know this is slightly early for me to be asking, but I'm thinking that I'll want to choose my spring elective based on the clinic I want to try for in 2L.
If I were you, I would try for it at your earliest opportunity, and so I think it's perfectly reasonable to choose your elective based on this desire. As you say it's super competitive. I would also add that you never know when Bryan is just going to say fuck this shit, I'm working myself to death and need to take a year off from the clinic.
BuddyHoller wrote:
Applesauce11 wrote:

Some of the sections will fill up, some won't. Almost all are available if you are willing to bid enough abra points on them. During 1L Con Law definitely fills up and some people will have to wait but Property will not.
I mean, if I understand the process correctly, everyone gets 1000 abra bid points. And if I understand the 2015-2016 bidding results correctly, you had to bid ALL 1000 points in order to get into Con Law with Morrison or Levinson. So my understanding is that yes it's hard and there's a lot of luck involved. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue May 31, 2016 11:06 pm

It's too early to think about getting into electives for next spring, but just a general tip - you need/ to bid all 1000 points on your elective. Both Con Law sections and Corporations will fill up.

If you don't get Con Law in 1L spring, there's still a bunch of really incredible professors who teach upper level Con Law. It's definitely feasible to take it later, although some professors like Yoshino will fill up quickly. Property is typically easy enough to get too - your odds of getting it 1L are also very high, the sections don't typically fill up.

Tempo

New

Post by Tempo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:25 am

Slytherpuff wrote:It's too early to think about getting into electives for next spring, but just a general tip - you need/ to bid all 1000 points on your elective. Both Con Law sections and Corporations will fill up.

If you don't get Con Law in 1L spring, there's still a bunch of really incredible professors who teach upper level Con Law. It's definitely feasible to take it later, although some professors like Yoshino will fill up quickly. Property is typically easy enough to get too - your odds of getting it 1L are also very high, the sections don't typically fill up.

I've heard that not getting Con law in 1L makes it tough to get a summer internship with a judge. Have you found this to be the case?

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Tempo wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:It's too early to think about getting into electives for next spring, but just a general tip - you need/ to bid all 1000 points on your elective. Both Con Law sections and Corporations will fill up.

I've heard that not getting Con law in 1L makes it tough to get a summer internship with a judge. Have you found this to be the case?

I definitely haven't heard this, but I wasn't trying to intern for a judge during my 1L summer so maybe someone who did that can offer a better response. I don't think your 1L elective choice matters unless it's a prerequisite for another course you want to take in fall of 2L - employers won't hold it against you if you take Property or Income Tax or something else instead.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:48 am

To any NYU Law students: out of curiosity, do you find it difficult to find space in the library to sit down and study? I just assume since there's a large student body, it may be difficult.

Thanks!

k5220

Bronze

Post by k5220 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:13 am

TheMikey wrote:To any NYU Law students: out of curiosity, do you find it difficult to find space in the library to sit down and study? I just assume since there's a large student body, it may be difficult.

Thanks!
There were always spots when I was there, but during finals my favorite spots would fill up by like 9:30 and I would sometimes get stuck down a weird dark tunnel. The undergrad library is close by though, and the graduate study rooms (unlocked by your ID, only accessible to law & other grad students) are pretty nice

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:40 am

k5220 wrote:
TheMikey wrote:To any NYU Law students: out of curiosity, do you find it difficult to find space in the library to sit down and study? I just assume since there's a large student body, it may be difficult.

Thanks!
There were always spots when I was there, but during finals my favorite spots would fill up by like 9:30 and I would sometimes get stuck down a weird dark tunnel. The undergrad library is close by though, and the graduate study rooms (unlocked by your ID, only accessible to law & other grad students) are pretty nice
Thanks for the reply!

deant286

Bronze

Post by deant286 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:48 am

So I was recently accepted off of the waitlist and have yet to receive the credentials needed to log in and apply for housing, does anyone have any experience applying this late and still getting something? I desperately want to live in NYU housing and would basically take anything they have.

Also, a more general NYU question, how guaranteed are big law jobs up and down the class rank?

Specifically:

Is there still a chance for more "prestigious" firms below median? (I know people here scoff at prestige or whatever but humor me)
What does placement for median students look like?
And what can top third and above land from NYU?

Thanks for any responses. Never thought I'd be at NYU and don't really have a clear idea of just how "superior" it is to non-t6 t14s. Trying hard not to come across as a gunner/weirdo 0l here lol just curious.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”