(Voyager) 4 years out. My advice? Go to business school Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Voyager

Silver

Re: (Voyager) 4 years out. My advice? Go to business school

Post by Voyager » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:19 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:Voyager, willing to be a mock interviewer/ critique a case practice?
If I had the time to coach everyone who would come calling if I opened my door to this than I absolutely would.

Unfortunately, I just don't have enough hours in the week.

That said, there are a ton of case prep resources at your school and online.

Sorry for only seeing this request a year later, by the way...

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:29 am

Voyager wrote:Sorry for only seeing this request a year later, by the way...
This is my first post in a lawwwng time, but this definitely made me :lol:

Anyway, Merry Christmas, all!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:43 am

Lolllllll everyone that went to law school and is now working at a large law firm (or for a federal judge soon to be returning to a large law firm) is fucked

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:28 am

Thread is interesting. I considered an MBA at one point, but then realized I did not want to wait 5-7 years before going back to school. Economic consulting was my dream until I realized it's nearly impossible to get a PhD at an elite school.

Does the advice in this thread only extend to T6 schools?

R. Jeeves

Gold

Post by R. Jeeves » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:30 am

jbagelboy wrote:Lolllllll everyone that went to law school and is now working at a large law firm (or for a federal judge soon to be returning to a large law firm) is fucked
why?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:43 pm

Big Dog wrote:
More than anything her chances are buoyed by 3 things

1 the fact that she can say worked in "social media"
2 the fact that she work as a paralegal at a v5
3 the fact that she went to an elite private college on the east coast.
You forgot the obvious: 4) She is a she
I am utterly shocked to see working in social media is considered a plus when applying for MBA programs.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:07 pm

PrezRand wrote:Thread is interesting. I considered an MBA at one point, but then realized I did not want to wait 5-7 years before going back to school. Economic consulting was my dream until I realized it's nearly impossible to get a PhD at an elite school.

I'd say any top 20 business school has solid outcomes for its graduates to include consulting gigs at, say, Deloitte which, while much less good than McKinsey or Bain is still a pretty dang good place to end up.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:08 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
Voyager wrote:Sorry for only seeing this request a year later, by the way...
This is my first post in a lawwwng time, but this definitely made me :lol:

Anyway, Merry Christmas, all!
I try to entertain!

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:06 pm

Voyager wrote:
PrezRand wrote:Thread is interesting. I considered an MBA at one point, but then realized I did not want to wait 5-7 years before going back to school. Economic consulting was my dream until I realized it's nearly impossible to get a PhD at an elite school.

I'd say any top 20 business school has solid outcomes for its graduates to include consulting gigs at, say, Deloitte which, while much less good than McKinsey or Bain is still a pretty dang good place to end up.
So if I went to an elite law school with a top 20 business school, do you think it would be possible?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:09 am

PrezRand wrote:
Voyager wrote:

So if I went to an elite law school with a top 20 business school, do you think it would be possible?
To go into strategy consulting? McKinsey hires a bunch of law grads from the t6 every year.

No other consulting firm does that, though.

Sorry if I misunderstood... I thought you were talking about business schools only.

big_willy_style_333

Bronze

Post by big_willy_style_333 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:28 am

Last edited by big_willy_style_333 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:12 am

Voyager wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
Voyager wrote:

To go into strategy consulting? McKinsey hires a bunch of law grads from the t6 every year.

No other consulting firm does that, though.

Sorry if I misunderstood... I thought you were talking about business schools only.
How much business experience did you have before law school?

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:25 pm

PrezRand wrote: How much business experience did you have before law school?
In fairness, a significant amount of leadership and business experience.

That said, McKinsey hires lots of people with zero of either. As an example, a buddy of mine at the firm was a PhD in History who wrote his thesis on the American telegraph system.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

C-money

New

Post by C-money » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:54 am

Reviving this old thread: Voyager, what would you say to a current McK consultant (who went HYP undergrad -> Analyst -> Engagement Manager) thinking about law school? Currently in at Yale, and goal in law would be to do boutique appellate litigation after clerking. Dream job long-term would be a federal judgeship. Could also see myself doing stints in government (DOJ/AUSA) or even trying for academia.

My concern is that my current track at McK, or a PE exit, would be vastly superior to most biglaw outcomes in terms of compensation and responsibility. However, my dream jobs are legal ones. Given this, do you think it's worth it to go to law school to take a shot at the "unicorn" legal jobs?

Two other considerations: I would have an offer to return to McK after law school, and I would be able to pay for school without taking out any loans.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”