(Voyager) 4 years out. My advice? Go to business school Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Voyager

Silver

(Voyager) 4 years out. My advice? Go to business school

Post by Voyager » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:57 pm

1) all of my top law school classmates are miserable in biglaw. It sucks.
2) MBA is 1 year less of debt and 1 year more of income
3) the work you do out of a top MBA program is vastly more impactful and interesting than what jr associates end up doing
4) your hours are much better, even at a big consulting firm
5) you will earn as much as your biglaw friends and will likely earn more than them long term

I wrote a few handy LSAT prep guides you may have used. I ended up going to a big consulting firm instead of biglaw out of Columbia. Now I am an executive at a F500.

I'm not trying to "kill your dreams"... Just trying to make you aware of an objectively superior option.

Taking questions (nice, slow Halloween Friday at the office)

t-14orbust

Gold

Re: (Voyager) 4 years out. My advice? Go to business school

Post by t-14orbust » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:10 pm

I'm highly considering consulting post LS.
Did you have a business background/experience prior to law school?
How important are LS grades for MBB consulting?
How stable do you feel your job is?
How long did it take you to lateral to F500?
What is the pay like?
Any general advice about the career path?

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:18 pm

1) yes, I have an extensive pre-law school business background but many of my consulting PhD/law grad consulting peers did not

2) my jobs have always been 100x more stable than that of the average biglaw associate. Those dudes get waxed.

3) MBB kids are highly sought after. It is a golden ticket. I left after 2 years. Now I work 50 hrs/week with minimal travel

4) McKinsey (which is the only firm that really hires law school grads) offers a base of $140k ( I think... Was $135k when I did it), a $20k signing bonus, a 20% performance bonus and a 15%(?) retirement bonus (paid annually into a retirement account)

5) exit options beat that. I currently make more than a 4th year biglaw associate when including stock grants and bonus but I work much much less

6) advice to get into it? Attend CCN or better, sign up at OCI, prep the crap out of cases

Actual career advice upon arrival is a bit premature.

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:28 pm

Thinking about business school (I'm a 2L)
would JD MBA be a poor choice? I'm a strike out at CCN>

I would like to note that getting an MBA was something I've thought about and it's not something I want to do just because I struck out.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:40 pm

Voyager wrote:1) all of my top law school classmates are miserable in biglaw. It sucks.

I'm not trying to "kill your dreams"... Just trying to make you aware of an objectively superior option.

Since you are taking questions, why did you think this would be a worthwhile post? Anyone who will read your post has already heard how bad big law is and how poor a life choice going to law school was. Objectively, you sound like a tool. Congrats on your remarkable success though.

Yours was literally one of the worst posts I have ever read. I hope the F500 where you are a bigshot executive goes bankrupt. Just awful.
Last edited by ClubberLang on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:47 pm

ClubberLang wrote:
Voyager wrote:1) all of my top law school classmates are miserable in biglaw. It sucks.

Since you are taking questions, why did you think this would be a worthwhile post? Anyone who will read your post has already heard how bad big law is and how poor a life choice going to law school was. Objectively, you sound like a tool. Congrats on your remarkable success though.
Nice to see this place hasn't changed much in 5 years.

Good luck to you. I am sure you will be successful as you seem utterly delightful.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:50 pm

iliketurtles123 wrote:Thinking about business school (I'm a 2L)

I would like to note that getting an MBA was something I've thought about and it's not something I want to do just because I struck out.
Yeah, the problem with the JD/MBA is that you will never fully leverage the degree. You will always be wasting half of it.

I have 2 buddies who did it.

1 is a corporate attorney in biglaw who never uses the MBA

the other went to McKinsey where his law degree is worthless

In short: it is very expensive to go get that dual degree. Do it if you KNOW you want to do business instead. If you plan on going into law anyway, stay the course and stuck with a JD only

gnomgnomuch

Silver

Post by gnomgnomuch » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:51 pm

Currently considering doing an MPP before LS - or maybe instead of LS - at LSE or a school of that quality, are MPP's objectively worse than MBA's?
Also, what type of consulting? - forgive ignorance, but I don't know what consulting even is, so if you clear that up it would be helpful.

No business background - taken some basic classes like calc 1 and 2, econ and marketing - but that's it.

Also, your RC guide was super helpful, thank you for that as well.

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:52 pm

Voyager wrote:

Yeah, the problem with the JD/MBA is that you will never fully leverage the degree. You will always be wasting half of it.

In short: it is very expensive to go get that dual degree. Do it if you KNOW you want to do business instead. If you plan on going into law anyway, stay the course and stuck with a JD only
I think I wouldn't mind either way. Although I do have a greater interest in business. I'm taking some classes at the business school and I think I'd be happier in business.
The problem is I'm here at sticker. I would graduate at probably with almost 400k in debt for the extra year + interest.
I also have only 1-2 years of work experience. Don't know how an MBA will work out for me without WE.

As a strike out, both of those options are okay with me ...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:55 pm

Voyager wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:

Good luck to you. I am sure you will be successful as you seem utterly delightful.
Thanks man. Keep fighting the good fight. We look forward to hearing more about your successes and superior life decisions.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:56 pm

gnomgnomuch wrote:Currently considering doing an MPP before LS - or maybe instead of LS - at LSE or a school of that quality, are MPP's objectively worse than MBA's?
Also, what type of consulting? - forgive ignorance, but I don't know what consulting even is, so if you clear that up it would be helpful.

No business background - taken some basic classes like calc 1 and 2, econ and marketing - but that's it.

Also, your RC guide was super helpful, thank you for that as well.
McKinsey hires PhDs, JDs, MBAs and MDs. No masters degrees... At least not for Associate positions.

PhD in public policy would get you considered, assuming a top program.

Business background is a plus but not required.

I am glad those guides I wrote are still helping people.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:58 pm

iliketurtles123 wrote:
Voyager wrote:

I think I wouldn't mind either way. Although I do have a greater interest in business. I'm taking some classes at the business school and I think I'd be happier in business.
The problem is I'm here at sticker. I would graduate at probably with almost 400k in debt for the extra year + interest.
I also have only 1-2 years of work experience. Don't know how an MBA will work out for me without WE.

As a strike out, both of those options are okay with me ...
Schools are pretty flexible in helping you get into a joint degree program.

The real problem is what you pointed out: the massive debt at graduation

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:58 pm

ClubberLang wrote:
Voyager wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:

Thanks man. Keep fighting the good fight. We look forward to hearing more about your successes and superior life decisions.
You are welcome.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sesto elemento

Gold

Post by sesto elemento » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:00 pm

No question, but thanks for the RC tips. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:01 pm

"Just do McKinsey bro"

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:01 pm

Any career advice for 2Ls or 3Ls who are probably going to start at big firms?

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:03 pm

Rahviveh wrote:"Just do McKinsey bro"
More like: "just do top MBA. Even if you go to F500 right away, you will be better off"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:07 pm

banjo wrote:Any career advice for 2Ls or 3Ls who are probably going to start at big firms?
Poop, friend. From what I gather from my 4th yr biglaw friends:

1) build good relationship with a few key partners
2) get ready to work long hours while being treated badly
3) be very aware of firm hierarchy. Partners may care about even the order in which you put them in an Email address bar
4) try to pick a specialty. Seems to me that Tax and Employment Law are good ones.
Better hours and culture

I'm the wrong guy to ask, though

Dr Clifford Huxtable

New

Post by Dr Clifford Huxtable » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:10 pm

Thanks for doing this.

Question:

Did you also prepare for Big Law jobs while trying to get consulting? If so, how difficult was it to prep cases for McKinsey while also bidding firms?

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:19 pm

Dr Clifford Huxtable wrote:Thanks for doing this.

Question:

Did you also prepare for Big Law jobs while trying to get consulting? If so, how difficult was it to prep cases for McKinsey while also bidding firms?
I had already accepted an offer from a V50 by the time I was interviewing at McKinsey. I took great delight in retracting my acceptance when I got the McKinsey offer. Don't feel bad for the law firm: those guys have ZERO loyalty to you (I watched firms-mine included- retract offers)

I focused almost exclusively on case interview prep for about 6-8 weeks. Blew off class work etc.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:43 pm

1. How did you become so prestigious?

2. How big is your house?

3. Is your wife hot?

4. Would you quit your job if you found out you were going to have to report to someone younger than you?

5. What font is best for business cards?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:52 pm

How do I get into PwC, Accenture, KPMG type business roles with no professional W/E prior to law school but one year of public interest government work afterwards? Top 10 JD and business type ugrad major. Very bad JD grades.

Used your LSAT guide back in the day; it was helpful.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:05 pm

ClubberLang wrote:1. How did you become so prestigious?

2. How big is your house?

3. Is your wife hot?

4. Would you quit your job if you found out you were going to have to report to someone younger than you?

5. What font is best for business cards?
Excellent questions, all.

1) lots of hard work. I learned math and how to lead early

2) it is a nice house. I actually own 2, though. The one in FL is bigger (bought at bottom of market)

3) my wife is beautiful, witty and very smart she speaks 5 languages. I love her very much.

4) Nope! At McKinsey I once worked for an Engagement Manager who was 10 years my junior but was damn smart. Learned a lot from her. I don't believe in tenure as a proxy for ability. People should get promoted as fast as they can handle it.

5) I have never designed my own business cards. I like the current font I have but am not sure the style.

I hope that helps. I assume you are 23 or something? Good luck to you.
Last edited by Voyager on Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:06 pm

BruceWayne wrote:How do I get into PwC, Accenture, KPMG type business roles with no professional W/E prior to law school but one year of public interest government work afterwards? Top 10 JD and business type ugrad major. Very bad JD grades.

Used your LSAT guide back in the day; it was helpful.
I don't know. I have no real exposure to that tier of consulting firm. Those firms are more about tactical implementation than strategy.

You might try Wall Street Oasis for such questions.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:21 pm

I honestly know nothing about this path, but it seems odd to me that only CCN+ would have access to this as a career option. This all feels a bit unicorn-y. Like, "hey, don't do biglaw, do a bristow fellowship instead!" What advice would you have for someone with 1-3 years of meh work experience attending a lower T14 on a partial scholarship? If you attended a "less prestigious" school like Cornell or Northwestern, is this career option just not in the cards?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”