Stanford c/o 2017ers taking Questions! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Vincent

Bronze

Stanford c/o 2017ers taking Questions!

Post by Vincent » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:58 pm

Hello TLS! The last SLS thread died - here's a new one. The class of 2017 has been in school for 6 weeks so we're starting to get the hang of things. AMAA about SLS (although keep in mind that there's a chances forum already...). If I don't get to something, I know some of the other 2017ers lurk enough that they might stop by as well.

RunnerRunner

Bronze

Re: Stanford c/o 2017ers taking Questions!

Post by RunnerRunner » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:11 pm

Thanks for taking questions! Just broadly speaking is stanford the way you expected it would be when you applied? Anything surprise you so far?

Vincent

Bronze

Post by Vincent » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:36 pm

RunnerRunner wrote:Thanks for taking questions! Just broadly speaking is stanford the way you expected it would be when you applied? Anything surprise you so far?
Broadly speaking: It's a lot more work than I thought it would be (I came from the sciences, so I've literally done more reading this week than in my entire undergraduate experience) - on the other hand, when I walk around outside, I get the sense that SLS understands 1L is a grind, but has done what it can to make sure all of the other aspects of law school (e.g. Journals, career services, living accommodations at Munger, etc.) are as good as they could be.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:14 pm

dude really we've been here a month.

I still don't know where the main entrance to the library is.

thestatusguo

Bronze

Post by thestatusguo » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:50 am

LOL scoobers <3 this is our 7th week here!

But yeah, taking questions too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

daryldixon

Bronze

Post by daryldixon » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:58 am

How much debt are you taking on?

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:04 pm

thestatusguo wrote:LOL scoobers <3 this is our 7th week here!

Need to figure out who everyone is lol. Also check TLS often and willing to answer questions!

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:19 pm

RunnerRunner wrote:Thanks for taking questions! Just broadly speaking is stanford the way you expected it would be when you applied? Anything surprise you so far?
Not what I expected, but in a really good way. Everyone in older years is chill and super willing to help constantly. The work is hard, but contrary to my science UG compatriot (I was business UG, and KJD), the reading is pretty much exactly what any research on TLS/Reddit/etc will turn up about the workload.

What surprises me the most is how laid back classes are. Yes, there's some cold calling. Yes, there's some panel method classes. But in all of them, nothing bad happens if you mess up. Everyone is just throwing ideas out there and sometimes you hit it and sometimes the professor corrects you. Honestly, I don't think the rest of the class really notices. It takes a ton of pressure off. I don't know that I could have imagined a law school experience as relaxed as this.

The work is hard, don't get me wrong. 1-2 hours per class per night. But if you use your time wisely, especially weekends, you end up with plenty of time to hang out with classmates, go to the gym, and unwind at bar review and weekend parties. But it's not the hell I imagine at other schools.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:46 pm

Instinctive wrote:

Need to figure out who everyone is lol. Also check TLS often and willing to answer questions!
I'm a ~*mystery*~

In all seriousness though, it varies. If I wrote this on a Monday night I'd probably be saying that law school sucks and don't go. By Thursday, though, I'm pretty happy to be here.

I'm constantly impressed by my classmates. Everyone is so smart! If you are coming from a state school it's a little bit of a shock. I'll show up in class all proud of myself for noticing something in a hypo and find out the rest of the class noticed it too :lol: . It's a little nerve-wracking though because it's hard to imagine being in the top 30%.

I didn't expect everyone here to be so nice. I genuinely feel like everyone is or can be my friend :D.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:49 pm

scoobers wrote:
Instinctive wrote:

I'm a ~*mystery*~

In all seriousness though, it varies. If I wrote this on a Monday night I'd probably be saying that law school sucks and don't go. By Thursday, though, I'm pretty happy to be here.

I'm constantly impressed by my classmates. Everyone is so smart! If you are coming from a state school it's a little bit of a shock. I'll show up in class all proud of myself for noticing something in a hypo and find out the rest of the class noticed it too :lol: . It's a little nerve-wracking though because it's hard to imagine being in the top 30%.

I didn't expect everyone here to be so nice. I genuinely feel like everyone is or can be my friend :D.
#stateschoolfriends #highfive

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:44 pm

I can also answer questions, though I'm not on TLS as much these days.

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:56 pm

How hard would it be to live far from campus (20+ minute drive)? Hard as in studying/student experience outside of parties? Not the the actual commute....

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:02 pm

DiniMae wrote:How hard would it be to live far from campus (20+ minute drive)? Hard as in studying/student experience outside of parties? Not the the actual commute....
My friends who live ~3 miles away have said it takes about 15 minutes to just get to the parking structure because of traffic and the constant construction, FYI.

They've also said it's been a bit hard because so many events involve alcohol. If you are willing to uber places then this might not be too big of an issue, but that can be expensive. It's also nice to be able to run home and grab books for afternoon classes, change, etc.

On the other hand, being so close to the law school can get a bit claustrophobic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Vincent

Bronze

Post by Vincent » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:57 pm

scoobers wrote:
DiniMae wrote:How hard would it be to live far from campus (20+ minute drive)? Hard as in studying/student experience outside of parties? Not the the actual commute....
My friends who live ~3 miles away have said it takes about 15 minutes to just get to the parking structure because of traffic and the constant construction, FYI.

They've also said it's been a bit hard because so many events involve alcohol. If you are willing to uber places then this might not be too big of an issue, but that can be expensive. It's also nice to be able to run home and grab books for afternoon classes, change, etc.

On the other hand, being so close to the law school can get a bit claustrophobic.
There are a couple of students who commute from the East Bay (e.g. I know of one from Fremont/Union City and one from Oakland/Berkeley). Anecdotally, it's not ideal, but it could save you some money. Scoobers is spot on. Side note I keep accidentally typing people's real names instead of their TLS handles...

On the other hand, quite a few 3Ls relish the opportunity to live far away (most commonly San Francisco) and commute down twice a week or so for class.

Sls17

Bronze

Post by Sls17 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:47 pm

I would agree with everything said above, and I would just generally say it has been more or less what I expected. It's actually not *that* much work -- that is, it is a very possible amount, I keep up with the readings and still get plenty of sleep and have a reasonable amount of fun.

Sls17

Bronze

Post by Sls17 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:48 pm

daryldixon wrote:How much debt are you taking on?
I'm personally taking on about 25k for this first year, and I expect to take on about the same for each of the next two years.

Sls17

Bronze

Post by Sls17 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:49 pm

I think this would be fine and perhaps preferable. I am hoping to do this next year, or perhaps move in the winter or spring.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:52 pm

Sls17 wrote:
I think this would be fine and perhaps preferable. I am hoping to do this next year, or perhaps move in the winter or spring.
I live off campus. I am dying to get on campus. I would way rather "need to get out of the bubble" sometimes rather than constantly having it be a pain in the ass to get home and get back to campus for stuff. It causes you to miss out on a lot unless you really make a point of being on campus all the time.

That said, it is nice to be able to get away whenever I want. I just think it's far easier to address the "getting away" issue than the issue of not being present enough.

banks

New

Post by banks » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:13 pm

I live a 30 minute drive off campus. It's completely doable and actually enjoyable - it's a nice time to decompress. That being said, I live with my Sig O - if I didn't, I would definitely want to live on campus (or near enough to bike). There is a lot going on on-campus, but it's not hard to just be here when that stuff happens. However, at first, it was harder to hang with people/ make casual acquaintances cause I don't live with/near anyone. Now that I have friends, it's not difficult to hang out if it's planned.

It's totally fine (and maybe even recommendable) if you have a sig-o (though there are plenty of happy couples living on campus; I just wouldn't be happy doing that). I wouldn't prefer it otherwise.

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:34 pm

banks wrote:
I live a 30 minute drive off campus. It's completely doable and actually enjoyable - it's a nice time to decompress. That being said, I live with my Sig O - if I didn't, I would definitely want to live on campus (or near enough to bike). There is a lot going on on-campus, but it's not hard to just be here when that stuff happens. However, at first, it was harder to hang with people/ make casual acquaintances cause I don't live with/near anyone. Now that I have friends, it's not difficult to hang out if it's planned.

It's totally fine (and maybe even recommendable) if you have a sig-o (though there are plenty of happy couples living on campus; I just wouldn't be happy doing that). I wouldn't prefer it otherwise.
That last part is where EV comes in too. Just being out of the Munger bubble is pretty significant, and EV is still pretty close. Living with a Sig-O helps de-stress a lot too (I started the year without mine, and not in EV. Moved to EV when she was able to move out here and I was able to get reassigned). Absolutely loving it.

thestatusguo

Bronze

Post by thestatusguo » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi guys!

Just getting the word out - Dean Deal recently created an Instagram and she needs followers! :) She'll be posting various updates/pictures/etc throughout the year so I'm sure it'll be resourceful..and amusing. :)

Here's the link. (Or if you just have the app, her username is SLS_DeanDeal)

http://instagram.com/sls_deandeal

Don't be scared! Throw her a follow!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:07 pm

How's the weather

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:19 pm

please explain how if everyone is so smart you people think blessed is spelled with two l's hmmmm?

koalacity

Silver

Post by koalacity » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:23 pm

malleus discentium wrote:please explain how if everyone is so smart you people think blessed is spelled with two l's hmmmm?
Don't be mad just because HLS doesn't have their own clever hashtag.

Sidenote: I really hope Dean Deal will use that hashtag on her new Insta account

thestatusguo

Bronze

Post by thestatusguo » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:26 am

koalacity wrote:
malleus discentium wrote:please explain how if everyone is so smart you people think blessed is spelled with two l's hmmmm?
Don't be mad just because HLS doesn't have their own clever hashtag.

Sidenote: I really hope Dean Deal will use that hashtag on her new Insta account
'eyyy Koala :P A certain Vincent and I will be sure to try to pass along that hashtag ;)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”