Stanford c/o 2017ers taking Questions! Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Instinctive

Bronze

Re: Stanford c/o 2017ers taking Questions!

Post by Instinctive » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:07 pm

hdunlop wrote:People tend to get in from waitlists if they really want. If you're really, really committed to something, I doubt there's even exceptions. The problem here is there's fewer options than HLS I think so you can end up with schedule conflicts, or clinic against the only time a class is offered, etc. But it's manageable.
Schedule conflicts can be a person's downfall. The people who set the schedule up here sometimes make me think they don't think about it at all. It's like professors just ask to have a class at a certain time and that's how they decide to set the schedule.

I have yet to not get into a class off a waitlist if I really wanted in. It's just emailing the professor and showing up day 1 and 2, usually.

philawsopher

New

Post by philawsopher » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:56 pm

Those of you living in Escondido Village, I read that there's a major construction project coming... is your EV housing in jeopardy? EV seems like it would be the best option for my situation, but I'm worried that there won't be availability if they start demolishing most of the units. What's the word on campus about that?

EDIT: I think I found the answer I was looking for in a Stanford FAQ:
*Will there be sufficient family housing to meet demand after the demolition required for this project?

Yes. Families today live in one of 10 family courtyard residences in Escondido Village (Abrams A and B, Barnes A and B, Hulme A and B, Thoburn, Hoskins, McFarland and Jenkins). In addition, two other courtyards – Blackwelder and Escondido South –were originally built for families, but do not currently have families assigned.

These twelve courtyards combined represent 514 apartments. There are currently 260 families in Escondido Village. The new housing project will require the demolition of 184 apartments (Hoskins, McFarland, Jenkins and Blackwelder courtyards) leaving 330 apartments. As part of this plan, Escondido South will be improved this summer with two enclosed courtyards and enclosed sideyards. In the future, families could also be housed in a newly created Dudley Lane courtyard, for a total of 348 available family courtyard apartments.

This is 8% more than the highest number of families assigned in over a decade and nearly 35% more than assignments in the last eight years.
https://rde.stanford.edu/studenthousing ... age-0#FAQS

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:37 pm

Be careful to note that the quoted FAQ regards housing for families with children.

EV is going to be down like 200 beds for a couple years, then it will gain like 450. Most people won;t be affected.

It should also be noted that their FAQ thinks there won't be any new parking issues, and that may be the most head-in-the-sand thing I've ever seen written. Parking sucks as is, and they're eliminating a couple lots worth of spots. Of course it will exacerbate the issue. Smh.

wellreallynow

New

Post by wellreallynow » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:57 pm

Hello! Just admitted, super excited. I have a couple questions about PI work at Stanford. I was doing some research on summer funding for PI and it seems like you only qualify for guaranteed funds if you're also a Perkins recipient-- is that the case? What happens to people who want to do PI-related work but for instance don't qualify for Perkins loans? Two, I'd also love to hear what people think of the public service career office and how helpful it is if you want to do elite nonprofit work like the ACLU or Human Rights Watch. Thanks!

Sls17

Bronze

Post by Sls17 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:39 am

wellreallynow wrote:Hello! Just admitted, super excited. I have a couple questions about PI work at Stanford. I was doing some research on summer funding for PI and it seems like you only qualify for guaranteed funds if you're also a Perkins recipient-- is that the case? What happens to people who want to do PI-related work but for instance don't qualify for Perkins loans? Two, I'd also love to hear what people think of the public service career office and how helpful it is if you want to do elite nonprofit work like the ACLU or Human Rights Watch. Thanks!
No, everyone is guaranteed summer funding, doesn't matter if you get financial aid at all. The Levin Center (PI career services) is awesome with elite nonprofit stuff, very well-connected! Feel free to PM me for more details.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

YCDAACH

New

Post by YCDAACH » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:57 pm

What do you think about the quarter system? Better or worse than a semester system?

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:16 am

Awesome. More classes and they're over shortly after you're over them. Clinic takes less time out from classes. You can take stuff from GSB/GSAS. I dig it.

Instinctive

Bronze

Post by Instinctive » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:19 pm

Enjoy it quite a bit. I like the fact that I never seem to get tired of a class for a long time. By the time I'm ready to be done with, say, Legal Ethics, the quarter ends and I get to move on.

lordgower

New

Post by lordgower » Fri May 06, 2016 2:56 am

Hey guys! Class of 2018 here. Super bored with doing work and would love to answer any questions for the incoming 1Ls; I hope to be around for a bit of orientation to and just want to usher everyone in. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

oliverotis

Bronze

Post by oliverotis » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:38 pm

Hey folks,

Incoming 1L here. Thanks for all the helpful info. A few quick questions:

(1) It sounds like orientation is pretty laid back. Would missing Friday be a big deal? Have a family wedding labor day weekend and may need to bail Thursday evening.

(2) Anybody know if EV demolition/construction will be going on during the school year? If they're working every day, this may make studying at home pretty painful.

(3) Anyone who hasn't shared their thoughts/experience on 1L journal care to weigh in? In particular, are there clear disadvantages to not doing a journal? Will this make writing on for LR much more difficult, or negatively impact prospects for certain types of 1L summer jobs?

Many thanks!

wellreallynow

New

Post by wellreallynow » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:35 pm

any current students know if it's possible to request a certain section/professor for a 1L class? a prof i love/have talked to a good amount is teaching and i would love to be in his class.

cardinal17

New

Post by cardinal17 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:42 pm

wellreallynow wrote:any current students know if it's possible to request a certain section/professor for a 1L class? a prof i love/have talked to a good amount is teaching and i would love to be in his class.
You could always try, but I don't think it's something I've ever heard of anybody doing. Every (I think?) professor who teaches 1Ls also teaches other classes that you can obviously affirmatively choose to take down the line, though (and most of them are pretty open to engaging in other ways outside class--supervising research, letting you work as an RA, etc.).

Chambers

New

Post by Chambers » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Thanks to those answering questions! Anyone have experience with the Christian group(s) at Stanford Law? If so, what were they like, and what activities did they do?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

oliverotis

Bronze

Post by oliverotis » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:23 pm

repeating this question, other two are no longer relevant:

(3) Anyone who hasn't shared their thoughts/experience on 1L journal care to weigh in? In particular, are there clear disadvantages to not doing a journal? Will this make writing on for LR much more difficult, or negatively impact prospects for certain types of 1L summer jobs?

thanks!

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:42 pm

oliverotis wrote:repeating this question, other two are no longer relevant:

thanks!
I didn't do a journal and got a few 1L firm offers. No one asked me about it in interviews or anything. I'm also not doing SLR though so I couldn't tell you if it made it harder. 0 disadvantages in my experience.

HankBashir

Silver

Post by HankBashir » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:39 pm

LoganCouture wrote:
oliverotis wrote:repeating this question, other two are no longer relevant:

thanks!
I didn't do a journal and got a few 1L firm offers. No one asked me about it in interviews or anything. I'm also not doing SLR though so I couldn't tell you if it made it harder. 0 disadvantages in my experience.
I did journal all three years, but I honestly don't think there's a disadvantage to not doing journal. The only marginal advantage it might give you is for the SLR exercise. Honestly, even if you do one first year, it probably won't help you bluebook any better (judging from the 1L edits I've looked at over the years).

My recommendation would honestly be to not do a journal and spend the extra time relaxing or focusing on your grades—probably relaxing unless you want to be a superstar.

nativtracker

New

Post by nativtracker » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:46 pm

hey quick question,

I was wondering on average, if you could just give a guess-ta-ment concerning reading? That is, on average, how much reading per class/per day do you have? slash, if it is easier, perhaps a sum total per day?

Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wellreallynow

New

Post by wellreallynow » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:49 pm

We just got our section/class assignments... anyone willing to share opinions on professors through DM?

leftsharkforever

New

Post by leftsharkforever » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:26 pm

Chambers wrote:Thanks to those answering questions! Anyone have experience with the Christian group(s) at Stanford Law? If so, what were they like, and what activities did they do?
Happy to chat about this via PM if you're still interested.

Sheldor

New

Post by Sheldor » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:08 am

wellreallynow wrote:We just got our section/class assignments... anyone willing to share opinions on professors through DM?
Sure- shoot.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:58 am

Can answer Qs about profs through DM, or publicly here (though for obvious reasons I probably wouldn't shit on any of them publicly).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

oliverotis

Bronze

Post by oliverotis » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:06 pm

Last edited by oliverotis on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:14 pm

oliverotis wrote:
Yukos wrote:Can answer Qs about profs through DM, or publicly here (though for obvious reasons I probably wouldn't shit on any of them publicly).
Thanks for offering!

Fried (Ks)
Donohue (Crim)
Spaulding (Civ Pro)
Mello/Studdart (Torts)
lol never had a class with any of them. Heard mixed things about Donohue, I guess he's more quantitative than most.

Spaulding is infamous for making you take a final *and* write a paper for Fed Courts. I think he's more theoretical than average and likes to take a step back from the doctrine. Not sure if he would be different in a fall 1L class -- I guess Fed Courts lends itself to philosophizing.

Don't think I know anyone who's taken Mello or Fried and I've never heard of Studdart. I feel old already.

petitprince

New

Post by petitprince » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:12 pm

Hi there!
I am not quite sure how this thread works - would it be not welcome to ask for PS advice/review here?
I am aiming for 2017 entry and currently working through my applications. Would really appreciate if someone can offer some advice on my PS/other materials, or is willing to have a chat - please write me a private message!

Thanks a ton, :)

BuyaLittleMercy

Bronze

Post by BuyaLittleMercy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:21 pm

Any current Stanford students have any knowledge or experience of non-law recruiting on campus? I know that McKinsey stops by HLS, for instance, curious if anyone knows if they do at Stanford?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”