BigLaw Exit Options: The Vale Part 2?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Nagster5

Re: BigLaw Exit Options: The Vale Part 2?

Postby Nagster5 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:28 am

First, thank you all so much for this thread and your contributions. I've been scouring for something exactly like this for a while now, and it's enlightening.

Is any of this mitigated by being at a "top" firm? Is it easier to land something coming out of (non WLRK/Cravath) elite firms, or do in-house not really care about firm prestige when hiring? I could even see the reputation for less substantive work/client interaction for juniors at megafirms hurting exit ops? As someone choosing between firms/practice groups right now, what would your advice be to put myself in a good position to land an in-house gig?

DELG

Postby DELG » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:44 pm

Nagster5 wrote:First, thank you all so much for this thread and your contributions. I've been scouring for something exactly like this for a while now, and it's enlightening.

Is any of this mitigated by being at a "top" firm? Is it easier to land something coming out of (non WLRK/Cravath) elite firms, or do in-house not really care about firm prestige when hiring? I could even see the reputation for less substantive work/client interaction for juniors at megafirms hurting exit ops? As someone choosing between firms/practice groups right now, what would your advice be to put myself in a good position to land an in-house gig?

It's not easy to go in house. It's not a credentials thing it's a right place right time thing.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:50 pm

it's really way easier from a legit top firm

DELG

Postby DELG » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:43 pm

El Pollito wrote:it's really way easier from a legit top firm

I don't know what it's like from a non-top firm but I know quite a few people trying to make in-house happen from a top firm and they've been failing.

But they're litigators.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:06 pm

sorry litigators trying to go in house isn't a thing, so i was only referring to corp. litigators should find new careers.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”