AnBryce: The Definitive Collection Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TexasENG

Silver

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Post by TexasENG » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:09 pm

hammy393 wrote:
theothercat wrote:
hammy393 wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
theothercat wrote:
Yay! Are you planning to go to all the events?
I actually won't be able to make the LACA event, I think all the late flights back to my place will leave somewhere around 6-8 PM.
Do we have to fly back Friday night?
The e-mail says that check-out is the morning of March 31st, so I assume so.
But what if we can stay that night in NYC w/ a friend/relative?
You could probably work something out if you have accommodations. Maybe just reach out to Tracee and let her know.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:10 pm

TexasENG wrote:
hammy393 wrote:
theothercat wrote:
hammy393 wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
theothercat wrote:
Yay! Are you planning to go to all the events?
I actually won't be able to make the LACA event, I think all the late flights back to my place will leave somewhere around 6-8 PM.
Do we have to fly back Friday night?
The e-mail says that check-out is the morning of March 31st, so I assume so.
But what if we can stay that night in NYC w/ a friend/relative?
You could probably work something out if you have accommodations. Maybe just reach out to Tracee and let her know.
Yea definitely think so. Thanks guys!

tlee13

New

Post by tlee13 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:01 pm

DC panel here! Admittedly I was hoping for New York so I could have this and ASD all covered in one trip but on the flip side of it...I'm being interviewed by a SUPREME COURT JUSTICE. So I suppose I can't complain :D

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:09 am

tlee13 wrote:DC panel here! Admittedly I was hoping for New York so I could have this and ASD all covered in one trip but on the flip side of it...I'm being interviewed by a SUPREME COURT JUSTICE. So I suppose I can't complain :D
I'm sort of glad that I'm not in the DC group because I would be a nervous wreck in front of SCOTUS

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:13 am

Will you find out if you have been awarded the AB after your interview panel, or do they wait til they've interviewed everyone? Trying to figure out if I need to request extensions / make a seat deposit somewhere else in the interim.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

misiaczek

New

Post by misiaczek » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:32 am

TexasENG wrote:Will you find out if you have been awarded the AB after your interview panel, or do they wait til they've interviewed everyone? Trying to figure out if I need to request extensions / make a seat deposit somewhere else in the interim.
Last year, they waited until everyone finished interviewing, but we were told that this year they were trying to find a different system so that they didn't have to make the NYC interviewees wait so long. Can't give a definitive yes or no unfortunately, but definitely feel free to ask about it after your interview if you get close to a deadline.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:35 am

Checking in! So glad this thread exists! I'm also in the NYC group and I've never been to NYC before, so I'm pretty excited just for the trip tbh :lol:

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:02 pm

misiaczek wrote:
TexasENG wrote:Will you find out if you have been awarded the AB after your interview panel, or do they wait til they've interviewed everyone? Trying to figure out if I need to request extensions / make a seat deposit somewhere else in the interim.
Last year, they waited until everyone finished interviewing, but we were told that this year they were trying to find a different system so that they didn't have to make the NYC interviewees wait so long. Can't give a definitive yes or no unfortunately, but definitely feel free to ask about it after your interview if you get close to a deadline.
Thank you~! I really need to make a calendar of all the dates for this stuff for the next couple of months lol

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:23 pm

Every time this thread gets bumped, I get super happy. Really looking forward to meeting you all in person! Where are y'all traveling from? (I'm coming from the middle-est of the Midwest)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:36 pm

theothercat wrote:Every time this thread gets bumped, I get super happy. Really looking forward to meeting you all in person! Where are y'all traveling from? (I'm coming from the middle-est of the Midwest)
Coming in from Texas

tlee13

New

Post by tlee13 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:39 pm

TexasENG wrote:
theothercat wrote:Every time this thread gets bumped, I get super happy. Really looking forward to meeting you all in person! Where are y'all traveling from? (I'm coming from the middle-est of the Midwest)
Coming in from Texas
Couldn't agree more, this has easily become my favorite thread! Coming from Cleveland

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:45 pm

tlee13 wrote:
TexasENG wrote:
Coming in from Texas
Couldn't agree more, this has easily become my favorite thread! Coming from Cleveland
Nice, I'm originally from NE OH

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:52 pm

LA!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:15 pm

Florida!

tlee13

New

Post by tlee13 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:17 pm

Last edited by tlee13 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:37 pm

tlee13 wrote:So either out of excitement or complete stupidity I gave the travel agent the wrong time for my department from the ASD. My scheduled flight is at 2:55 on Friday meaning I'll miss most of the day's events :oops:

I contacted the travel company but he seemed doubtful they'd be able to change it. Is this a big enough deal that I should just miss the flight and buy a train bus ticket to go home? Completely can't believe I screwed up the most streamlined travel process imaginable.
Don't be too hard on yourself, it happens. How much of a hassle/extra expense would the train/bus be?

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:40 pm

tlee13 wrote:So either out of excitement or complete stupidity I gave the travel agent the wrong time for my department from the ASD. My scheduled flight is at 2:55 on Friday meaning I'll miss most of the day's events :oops:

I contacted the travel company but he seemed doubtful they'd be able to change it. Is this a big enough deal that I should just miss the flight and buy a train bus ticket to go home? Completely can't believe I screwed up the most streamlined travel process imaginable.
I think a lot of it depends on the airline. If you have southwest, you can usually change without a problem. A lot of the other airlines might be able to change for a fee. Perhaps you could volunteer to pay the change fee associated (Idk the cost of a train ride) with moving your ticket to another time.

Edit: Just checked Delta: 200$ change fee, American 200$ change fee. Not sure on united. Not sure if this would be more or less than a train ride

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:07 am

Question for current/former AnBryce Scholars:

I'm interviewing for two scholarship programs and both have scheduled an event on Thursday night next week. There is the AnBryce Finalists Welcome Reception with scholars, alumni, faculty, and administration from 6-8, and the other program has a dinner with current scholars at 6:30. I'm kind of at a loss on which one to attend. Maybe it doesn't really matter too much, but I'm sad I have to miss one and it feels weird to turn down one of the invitations since I'm interested in both programs! Can any of you speak about the benefit of the Thursday night AnBryce event? Feel free to respond or PM.

tlee13

New

Post by tlee13 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:20 am

I know ASDs are generally pretty casual affairs but I was just wondering what we should be expecting as far as the AB receptions and what not. Do I need to be packing a tux here or does the "just look decent" rule pretty much hold for these as well?

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:33 am

tlee13 wrote:I know ASDs are generally pretty casual affairs but I was just wondering what we should be expecting as far as the AB receptions and what not. Do I need to be packing a tux here or does the "just look decent" rule pretty much hold for these as well?
This is from earlier in the thread and should answer your question. :)
MissMiran wrote:The reception at NYU on April 10th has in past years been what I would describe as business casual. Women wore dresses/skirts or trousers and a nice blouse; men wore dress pants and shirts but not ties or jackets. Unless the information they've sent you says something different, I assume this year will be the same. After the reception, we current scholars will take you all out to hang out and do something fun, so wear something in which you'd both be comfortable enough to hobnob with impressive people who are making the scholarship decisions and comfortable enough to go out afterwards.

Dinner with current scholars is nothing formal at all, but it is usually in relatively nice restaurants so the above standard is the safe bet for that reason. The same can be said for lunch with professors or whatever similar event you may have. You might not have that; I'm not sure of the scheduling this year. But if you do, it's not formal but is still a place where you'd want to be business casual.

tlee13

New

Post by tlee13 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:38 am

theothercat wrote:
tlee13 wrote:I know ASDs are generally pretty casual affairs but I was just wondering what we should be expecting as far as the AB receptions and what not. Do I need to be packing a tux here or does the "just look decent" rule pretty much hold for these as well?
This is from earlier in the thread and should answer your question. :)
MissMiran wrote:The reception at NYU on April 10th has in past years been what I would describe as business casual. Women wore dresses/skirts or trousers and a nice blouse; men wore dress pants and shirts but not ties or jackets. Unless the information they've sent you says something different, I assume this year will be the same. After the reception, we current scholars will take you all out to hang out and do something fun, so wear something in which you'd both be comfortable enough to hobnob with impressive people who are making the scholarship decisions and comfortable enough to go out afterwards.

Dinner with current scholars is nothing formal at all, but it is usually in relatively nice restaurants so the above standard is the safe bet for that reason. The same can be said for lunch with professors or whatever similar event you may have. You might not have that; I'm not sure of the scheduling this year. But if you do, it's not formal but is still a place where you'd want to be business casual.
Thank you!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ramp_999

New

Post by ramp_999 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:01 pm

Hi!

Excited to meet everyone this week during interviews/ASD!

What are people thinking in terms of outfits for the interview itself? I think I'll bring a full suit regardless, but don't want to look too dressed up if it's gonna be too much!

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:08 pm

ramp_999 wrote:Hi!

What are people thinking in terms of outfits for the interview itself? I think I'll bring a full suit regardless, but don't want to look too dressed up if it's gonna be too much!
I was going full suit for the interview, I would imagine they are expecting standard interview attire.

misiaczek

New

Post by misiaczek » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:17 pm

ramp_999 wrote:Hi!

Full suit! It's a very standard, formal interview. Wear what you would wear to interview for a position at a law firm.

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:23 am

Was great meeting everyone. Had a blast, best of luck to the DC guys still waiting to go.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”