AnBryce: The Definitive Collection Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TexasENG

Silver

Re: AnBryce: The Definitive Collection

Post by TexasENG » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:21 pm

Last edited by TexasENG on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:46 pm

TexasENG wrote:Do people out of undergrad for several years have success getting into the Anbryce program? I'm ~5 years out and have a fairly successful career now, but going into law is something that is a completely different experience. I think the program would be really beneficial as I don't have any lawyers / college educated people in my family.
Plenty people in AB have work experience between college and law school. Plenty don't. I don't think the mere fact of taking time off between college and law school will make a difference.
TexasENG wrote:Do you know of anyone who has done AnBryce and gone to Texas? I'm not committed to returning to Texas but would like to keep the door open when I go to law school.
We have at least one Texas AnBrycer who has successfully graduated and begun a career in Texas in the last three years. It's possible to come to NYU, harness the benefits of AnBryce, and still keep Texas options on the table.
TexasENG wrote:A lot of my personal statement is about growing up and overcoming my situation as a first gen college student. It is very similar to what I plan on writing for my AnBryce scholarship application. Do you think that talking about it twice might hurt me?
My approach was to talk about something different in each essay. There was thematic overlap in each of my essays, but there were different illustrations and stories in each essay. My recommendation is to not miss an opportunity to show different ways you're interesting. One essay could be about growing up in a single parent family and the sacrifices everyone had to make; another essay could be about how your legal education can allow you to give back to your community.

The advantage of mixing it up is that the Admissions committee and the scholarship committee can each learn more about you. Both the scholarship committee and the admissions committee can read your personal statement and your anbryce essay. Based on my interview, I had questions originating from both essays.

Just one man's opinion.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:33 pm

Skool wrote:
TexasENG wrote:Do people out of undergrad for several years have success getting into the Anbryce program? I'm ~5 years out and have a fairly successful career now, but going into law is something that is a completely different experience. I think the program would be really beneficial as I don't have any lawyers / college educated people in my family.
Plenty people in AB have work experience between college and law school. Plenty don't. I don't think the mere fact of taking time off between college and law school will make a difference.
TexasENG wrote:Do you know of anyone who has done AnBryce and gone to Texas? I'm not committed to returning to Texas but would like to keep the door open when I go to law school.
We have at least one Texas AnBrycer who has successfully graduated and begun a career in Texas in the last three years. It's possible to come to NYU, harness the benefits of AnBryce, and still keep Texas options on the table.
TexasENG wrote:A lot of my personal statement is about growing up and overcoming my situation as a first gen college student. It is very similar to what I plan on writing for my AnBryce scholarship application. Do you think that talking about it twice might hurt me?
My approach was to talk about something different in each essay. There was thematic overlap in each of my essays, but there were different illustrations and stories in each essay. My recommendation is to not miss an opportunity to show different ways you're interesting. One essay could be about growing up in a single parent family and the sacrifices everyone had to make; another essay could be about how your legal education can allow you to give back to your community.

The advantage of mixing it up is that the Admissions committee and the scholarship committee can each learn more about you. Both the scholarship committee and the admissions committee can read your personal statement and your anbryce essay. Based on my interview, I had questions originating from both essays.

Just one man's opinion.
Agreed on most items above. I will note however that I used the same subject matter for all three of my essays and still received the scholarship.

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:06 pm

Last edited by TexasENG on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badgalriri9

New

Post by badgalriri9 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:27 pm

-
Last edited by badgalriri9 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jessuan

New

Post by jessuan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:31 am

I'm currently writing my essay for the AnBryce and was just wondering what advice you all might? i.e. is it ok to talk about the same topic as my personal statement, or should i choose different topics? anything you guys think shouldn't/should be mentioned? etc etc.

I personally discussed more of the obstacles I've overcome in my personal statement so is it ok to focus the essay on more how i exemplify the values of an AnBryce scholar or what do you think?

Really just looking for any advice you might have gotten/looking back now you wish you had known.

Thanks!

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Post by calpolisci2016 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:12 am

This program sounds amazing and life changing. But if we don't get selected, are there alternatives to the program? Honestly from reading this thread, I find the network and mentoring more valuable than the full ride. How can I make use of such a network without being a recipient?

condensation

New

Post by condensation » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:08 pm

jessuan wrote:I'm currently writing my essay for the AnBryce and was just wondering what advice you all might? i.e. is it ok to talk about the same topic as my personal statement, or should i choose different topics? anything you guys think shouldn't/should be mentioned? etc etc.

I personally discussed more of the obstacles I've overcome in my personal statement so is it ok to focus the essay on more how i exemplify the values of an AnBryce scholar or what do you think?

Really just looking for any advice you might have gotten/looking back now you wish you had known.

Thanks!
I would try to create as complete of a picture of yourself as you can. I think you have the right idea. Mention the obstacles you've overcome (and don't hold back or be shy when doing so), but also pull in other parts of your character/accomplishments while you have the additional space to do so. I think they review and consider your entire application (the interview led me to believe they had read all my essays and LORs-not 100% on this tho), so I wouldn't just rewrite your PS for your AnBryce essay.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:14 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:This program sounds amazing and life changing. But if we don't get selected, are there alternatives to the program? Honestly from reading this thread, I find the network and mentoring more valuable than the full ride. How can I make use of such a network without being a recipient?
I think it would be tricky to make use of the network without being a recipient because so much of the network is taken advantage of through AB specific programming.

That being said, as long as you can form a cohesive group (say through SEO) you could make your own network and just hustle to meet folks at the school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BrittanyJeream

Bronze

Post by BrittanyJeream » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:17 pm

Checking in!
Holy moly have I been looking for a resource like this for months. I'm so happy to have found it! Thank you to all the current and former ABers answering questions and providing info. Y'all are doing the lord's work.

I submitted my application to NYU last week, and I'm now "under review." Do we have any idea whether or not first gen COLLEGE students get any special consideration or is that not considered at all?

Also, any guesses as to how many students typically apply for AB each year?

Thanks again! <3

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Post by calpolisci2016 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:48 pm

Is it possible we will get accepted into NYU and then find out we are eligible for AB much later? For example, someone can get accepted in December, but finds out they are a AB finalist in February

Or do recipients find out they're admitted to NYU AND are finalists at the same time?

BrittanyJeream

Bronze

Post by BrittanyJeream » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:27 pm

calpolisci2016 wrote:Is it possible we will get accepted into NYU and then find out we are eligible for AB much later? For example, someone can get accepted in December, but finds out they are a AB finalist in February

Or do recipients find out they're admitted to NYU AND are finalists at the same time?
It seems like you don't find out if you're a finalist until February. I could be wrong; i'm applying this cycle.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:31 pm

BrittanyJeream wrote:
calpolisci2016 wrote:Is it possible we will get accepted into NYU and then find out we are eligible for AB much later? For example, someone can get accepted in December, but finds out they are a AB finalist in February

It seems like you don't find out if you're a finalist until February. I could be wrong; i'm applying this cycle.
This is correct. You find out you are finalist after you are accepted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BrittanyJeream

Bronze

Post by BrittanyJeream » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:38 pm

Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:
BrittanyJeream wrote:

This is correct. You find out you are finalist after you are accepted.
Thank you for that confirmation :)

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:41 am

I know they consider us for AnBryce only after we actually get accepted, but I was wondering: will admissions read our AnBryce essay, thus also using the essay as a factor in our admissions, or do they not even read it and leave it for the AnBryce committee?

Thank you!

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:53 am

studyingeveryday wrote:I know they consider us for AnBryce only after we actually get accepted, but I was wondering: will admissions read our AnBryce essay, thus also using the essay as a factor in our admissions, or do they not even read it and leave it for the AnBryce committee?

Thank you!
No idea. I assume they read all supplemental material though.

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:39 pm

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whitecollar23

Bronze

Post by whitecollar23 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:00 am

A friend of mine is applying to NYU and working on the essay. It says that it's supposed to be 1-page and 500-750 words. I assume that unlike the personal statement, they expect the AnBryce essay to be single spaced?

TexasENG

Silver

Post by TexasENG » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:39 pm

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:54 pm

Checking in for AnBryce 2K17. Could not be more excited.

tlee13

New

Post by tlee13 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:55 pm

Also checking in! Absolutely floored by the fact that I'm a finalist!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

windber37

New

Post by windber37 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:07 pm

Checking in as well. Congrats to all of the finalists!

misiaczek

New

Post by misiaczek » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:23 pm

Congrats finalists! There are a few of us current ABers lurking around on here if you have any questions about the process. Feel free to message also.

tlee13

New

Post by tlee13 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:16 pm

I had a fairly specific question regarding my situation:

I'm going to NYU either way; I applied early admission thinking it was the only way I was getting in (a decision I'm now regretting as I'm looking at financial aid possibilities). Would you all say this puts me at a disadvantage? Just seems to me they could easily use these spots to leverage others away from HYSC.

Tr3

Silver

Post by Tr3 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:22 pm

tlee13 wrote:I had a fairly specific question regarding my situation:

I'm going to NYU either way; I applied early admission thinking it was the only way I was getting in (a decision I'm now regretting as I'm looking at financial aid possibilities). Would you all say this puts me at a disadvantage? Just seems to me they could easily use these spots to leverage others away from HYSC.
I'm not sure how much it plays into the calculous, BUT, there have been several people in the past that were selected as scholars after having been accepted under ED. So it is possible.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”