Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
rnoodles

Platinum

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Post by rnoodles » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:28 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
rnoodles wrote:What's the word on BA with Dammann or Estate/Gift Tax/Planning with Ascher (never took Wills and Estates, which is listed as a prereq on the syllabus and not on the add/drop registration page, but my registration wasn't restricted)?
Dammann is fantastic, and his little packets are much better/easier to read than any casebook.
Is this for BA or a 1L course?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:52 pm

rnoodles wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
rnoodles wrote:What's the word on BA with Dammann or Estate/Gift Tax/Planning with Ascher (never took Wills and Estates, which is listed as a prereq on the syllabus and not on the add/drop registration page, but my registration wasn't restricted)?
Dammann is fantastic, and his little packets are much better/easier to read than any casebook.
Is this for BA or a 1L course?
From what I have heard, he runs both classes similarly.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:25 am

I'd maybe ask Ascher himself. He teaches wills so if he thinks it's a prerequisite then he's probably right. But maybe he'll tell you it's not a big deal.

(Kind of weird to want to take that class without having taken Wills first IMO unless you're trying to collect Tax classes like so many Pokemon. Also, I might be misremembering but isn't there a sacrificial C or two on the grade distribution?)

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:35 am

BigZuck wrote:
I'd maybe ask Ascher himself. He teaches wills so if he thinks it's a prerequisite then he's probably right. But maybe he'll tell you it's not a big deal.

(Kind of weird to want to take that class without having taken Wills first IMO unless you're trying to collect Tax classes like so many Pokemon. Also, I might be misremembering but isn't there a sacrificial C or two on the grade distribution?)
Yeah haha I've been thinking about doing something tax-related. But it's still early, so we'll see if I actually end up catching em all.

Checked his grade distribution for the Fall going back to 2014, and there was only one C, but a fair amount of grades under median despite small classes. Might just cut my losses and drop given the Wills prereq and sacrificial nature of the course.

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:55 am

Anyone have any advice on Law and Econ with Wickelgren?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:29 am

Anyone hear about offer rates at various TX firms/offices?

dizzydg

New

Post by dizzydg » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:12 pm

Anyone have an old O&G book by Lowe they would like to sell? PM me

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:06 pm

If you're taking O&G with Smith, then you don't need to read for class (or for the exam).

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:22 pm

cannibal ox wrote:If you're taking O&G with Smith, then you don't need to read for class (or for the exam).
What do I need to do? Please be nothing/close to it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:54 pm

Use the TJOGEL outline that covers the class word-for-word (this isn't a joke).

dizzydg

New

Post by dizzydg » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:00 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Use the TJOGEL outline that covers the class word-for-word (this isn't a joke).
you get an A? any tips for test? or is it all just in the outline and depend on how well you can articulate the material?

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:01 pm

You get grades after 1L?

Huh.

I had no idea.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:59 am

Anyone taken Strong for Crim Pro? Is it painless?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ptz

New

Post by ptz » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:57 pm

Anyone taken Environmental Law: Air and Water with McGarity? Any advice?

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:56 pm

Why isn't there a comprehensive list of classes that do/do not cold call?

Someone recommend to me classes where I won't get cold called. I don't give a fuck about grades anymore I just want to graduate without being hassled.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:06 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Why isn't there a comprehensive list of classes that do/do not cold call?

Someone recommend to me classes where I won't get cold called. I don't give a fuck about grades anymore I just want to graduate without being hassled.
Off the top of my head:

Peroni
Dix
Albright
Starting a law firm
Advanced Criminal Defense
Seminars

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:17 pm

BigZuck wrote:Starting a law firm
I was considering taking this but there's an application where I would have to explain why I'm taking it but am not going solo out of lawl school. I don't know how I feel about lying for an entire semester.

Then again I am in some pretty ridiculous classes right now that have nothing to do with my future plans..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:58 pm

How difficult is it to get BL from UT if you are not in the top 1/3rd of your class?

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:17 pm

Honestly, it still isn't that easy to get it if you ARE top 1/3.

If you're biglaw or bust, I wouldn't go to UT. If you want a good shot at biglaw and are okay with small/mid sized firms in Texas, then I would come here (and keep your debt low).

Getting biglaw outside of the grade ranges that are pretty safe bets (like top 10%) is going to depend on your interview skills, networking, resume, what the interviewer had for lunch, and a bunch of other stuff that aren't totally within your control. No one can give you a straight answer to this question. It's a risk, but it's a risk everywhere (outside HYS). There are plenty of people headed to biglaw who were median, but there are quite a few who were top 1/3 and struck out.

dizzydg

New

Post by dizzydg » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:39 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on the following classes:

Crim Pro: investigations with Strong
Fed Courts with Young
Texas Civ Pro with McCown
BA with Sokolow
Advanced evidence seminar with Goode
White collar crime seminar

Would also love to have a general discussion about other upper division classes that people have liked. Recommendations are greatly appreciated

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:26 pm

dizzydg wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on the following classes:

Crim Pro: investigations with Strong
Fed Courts with Young
Texas Civ Pro with McCown
BA with Sokolow
Advanced evidence seminar with Goode
White collar crime seminar

Would also love to have a general discussion about other upper division classes that people have liked. Recommendations are greatly appreciated
Sokolow is who to take if you're going to take BA.

McCown is okay but he's as likely to say the opposite thing than the right thing. His exam was all MC and some were really hard. No idea how I did because I P/F'd the class.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:48 pm

How screwed am I if I didn't sign up for the MPRE in preparation for Dzienkowski's PR class? Are there enough old tests/questions to get by, or do I need to consider P/Fing the class?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:06 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:How screwed am I if I didn't sign up for the MPRE in preparation for Dzienkowski's PR class? Are there enough old tests/questions to get by, or do I need to consider P/Fing the class?
I'm not sure I entirely understand the question but enjoy your A-

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:25 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:How screwed am I if I didn't sign up for the MPRE in preparation for Dzienkowski's PR class? Are there enough old tests/questions to get by, or do I need to consider P/Fing the class?
Oh God, don't use your ONE discretionary pass/fail on Dz's PR class.

You can learn everything you need to know for that exam in 2 days. If that. Use the free MPRE practice exams available through bar prep companies. Make a good outline with tabs so you can flip to specific Model Rules during the exam (you can't look everything up in the time you'll have but you can look up a good amount). He'll tell you exactly what rules are covered on the exam and which ones aren't (go to class the last week or two weeks so you don't miss this).

Enjoy your A-.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:31 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
Oh God, don't use your ONE discretionary pass/fail on Dz's PR class.

You can learn everything you need to know for that exam in 2 days. If that. Use the free MPRE practice exams available through bar prep companies. Make a good outline with tabs so you can flip to specific Model Rules during the exam (you can't look everything up in the time you'll have but you can look up a good amount). He'll tell you exactly what rules are covered on the exam and which ones aren't (go to class the last week or two weeks so you don't miss this).

Enjoy your A-.
BigZuck wrote:
I'm not sure I entirely understand the question but enjoy your A-
Okay, this all sounds lovely, so I'll choose to believe it. Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”