Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cannibal ox

Gold

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Post by cannibal ox » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:33 pm

PrezRand wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:(All statistics come from LST, which only goes back to the class of 2011)
Where do you get this info from?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:24 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:Meanwhile, Vanderbilt is killing it.
Make your own conclusions, but I wouldn't call sub 50% "killing it."

Vanderbilt

Class of 2016: (coming out in ~a month)
Class of 2015: 47.02% (+5.22%)
Class of 2014: 41.23% (-5.21%)
Class of 2013: 45.14% (+2.81%)
Class of 2012: 38.77% (+3.65%)
Class of 2011: 40.40% (+10.30%)

(+/- is the difference from UT's statistics from the same year)
Relative to UT and mostly referring to last year.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:33 pm

UT also has been taking in 30-60 transfers per year for the last few years, which has a definite impact on the job numbers. I personally know a couple transfers who couldn't participate in OCI because they were accepted after the OCI deadline.

UT and Vandy are peer schools. One might have a better year than the other, but it doesn't mean one kills the other.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:55 pm

cannibal ox wrote:UT also has been taking in 30-60 transfers per year for the last few years, which has a definite impact on the job numbers. I personally know a couple transfers who couldn't participate in OCI because they were accepted after the OCI deadline.
There's only one set of numbers out since the first big transfer class. You can hardly say there's a trend.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:57 pm

cannibal ox wrote:UT also has been taking in 30-60 transfers per year for the last few years, which has a definite impact on the job numbers. I personally know a couple transfers who couldn't participate in OCI because they were accepted after the OCI deadline.

UT and Vandy are peer schools. One might have a better year than the other, but it doesn't mean one kills the other.
Yeah, they're still a peer school, and applicants shouldn't base decisions off of the above differences, except, maybe, at the extreme margins.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:18 pm

BVest wrote:
There's only one set of numbers out since the first big transfer class. You can hardly say there's a trend.
Okay, then it had an impact on the c/o 2015 numbers. My point wasn't that there's a trend because of transfers, it was that there isn't a trend for either school being better, and transfers explain (in part) why there was a 10% swing from c/o 2014 to c/o 2015.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:47 am

Checking in and firing off questions that I don't think have been answered (though I must admit I skipped from 2013 to 2015 because I was worried about outdated info). Sorry, I have quite a few of them!

1) As an OOSer with no ties anywhere (and I mean NO ties), would I still be at a disadvantage for hiring? What I mean by no ties is I grew up as a military kid and moved very frequently, went to a college (well, two colleges) other than where I graduated high school (was only there for a year anyway), my dad is still in the military so my parents aren't settled anywhere, my sibling is also in the military so he isn't settled anywhere, and generally, that's as far as my family extends. No significant other/kids.
2) As someone who likes big cities in the NE (think DC, NYC), do you think places in TX would be too much of a culture-shock for me to actual enjoy? I'm probably what some would consider a progressive liberal (pro-LGBTQ, pro-choice, somewhat anti-gun -- which I'm sure isn't really the opinion of most in TX, feminist, etc. etc.) though I'm not ranting about conservatives constantly or anything -- unless someone tries to get into a political convo with me, but even then I generally try to avoid those discussions.
3) There's been a lot of discussion of being okay with small/mid-size firms rather than BL, anyone able to give a ballpark estimate of what those salaries look like in TX? (mid-size especially)
4) Did anyone choose UT over a higher-ranked school? If so, what led you to that decision/do you regret it?
5) I've also been accepted to GULC, among other places, and was looking at their ask thread and you guys seem more pleasant and/or happy about your LS choice, so I'll throw out this question that got "Lol"s when asked by someone else in the GULC thread: Do you find yourself PROUD to be a UT Law student/graduate?
6) Kind of weird question, but do law students generally stay separated from undergrads?
7) Does anyone have experience with the mental health clinic? If so, could you tell me a little more about the things you work on in that clinic? I got my bachelors in psychology so it sounds very interesting but the website isn't very detailed.
8 (and final question, though the longest/most specific)): So far, these are my choices -- Michigan (sticker -- not really a choice anymore because I REFUSE to pay sticker), GULC (scholly pending), Vandy (scholly pending), UCLA (scholly pending) & USC ($105k) (have since decided Cali isn't a good choice for me), BU ($120k), Emory ($139,500k), GWU ($90k -- not really somewhere I'm considering b/c of the $$$$), and obviously UT (scholly pending). I still have apps out at a couple T14s, but T14s haven't shown much love to me this cycle so I don't have my hopes up. Based on these places/schollies, my choices I'm most considering would be here, BU, (hesitantly) GULC, Emory, & then maybe Vandy - I've never been to Nashville so I have to check it out. Knowing that I like big cities and ~ potentially ~ have an interest in corporate litigation, maybe white collar crime at some point, would UT be a good/bad pick over these schools? I know people preach employment outcomes a lot on here, but I am also really concerned about quality of life/happiness (to whatever extent it's possible lol) during my time at LS and want to be at a school that has a good social scene and, based on what I've seen ITT, as well as some of the efforts it seems UT puts in to encouraging/facilitating bonding with other students, I think that UT is somewhere that may offer that aspect more.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:16 pm

brinicolec wrote:,
1) As an OOSer with no ties anywhere (and I mean NO ties), would I still be at a disadvantage for hiring? What I mean by no ties is I grew up as a military kid and moved very frequently, went to a college (well, two colleges) other than where I graduated high school (was only there for a year anyway), my dad is still in the military so my parents aren't settled anywhere, my sibling is also in the military so he isn't settled anywhere, and generally, that's as far as my family extends. No significant other/kids.

Not tremendously.

2) As someone who likes big cities in the NE (think DC, NYC), do you think places in TX would be too much of a culture-shock for me to actual enjoy? I'm probably what some would consider a progressive liberal (pro-LGBTQ, pro-choice, somewhat anti-gun -- which I'm sure isn't really the opinion of most in TX, feminist, etc. etc.) though I'm not ranting about conservatives constantly or anything -- unless someone tries to get into a political convo with me, but even then I generally try to avoid those discussions.

No. You'll be in cities, which are by and large liberal just like the other cities around the country. State politics are very conservative, but the cities are much less so. (That said, boomer attorneys are a fairly conservative group, but that's common elsewhere as well).

3) There's been a lot of discussion of being okay with small/mid-size firms rather than BL, anyone able to give a ballpark estimate of what those salaries look like in TX? (mid-size especially)

$80-140k for midlaw (think 20+ attorneys) to regional big firm that's not a market firm.

5) I've also been accepted to GULC, among other places, and was looking at their ask thread and you guys seem more pleasant and/or happy about your LS choice, so I'll throw out this question that got "Lol"s when asked by someone else in the GULC thread: Do you find yourself PROUD to be a UT Law student/graduate?

Yes

6) Kind of weird question, but do law students generally stay separated from undergrads?

Yes.

8 (and final question, though the longest/most specific)): So far, these are my choices -- Michigan (sticker -- not really a choice anymore because I REFUSE to pay sticker), GULC (scholly pending), Vandy (scholly pending), UCLA (scholly pending) & USC ($105k) (have since decided Cali isn't a good choice for me), BU ($120k), Emory ($139,500k), GWU ($90k -- not really somewhere I'm considering b/c of the $$$$), and obviously UT (scholly pending). I still have apps out at a couple T14s, but T14s haven't shown much love to me this cycle so I don't have my hopes up. Based on these places/schollies, my choices I'm most considering would be here, BU, (hesitantly) GULC, Emory, & then maybe Vandy - I've never been to Nashville so I have to check it out. Knowing that I like big cities and ~ potentially ~ have an interest in corporate litigation, maybe white collar crime at some point, would UT be a good/bad pick over these schools? I know people preach employment outcomes a lot on here, but I am also really concerned about quality of life/happiness (to whatever extent it's possible lol) during my time at LS and want to be at a school that has a good social scene and, based on what I've seen ITT, as well as some of the efforts it seems UT puts in to encouraging/facilitating bonding with other students, I think that UT is somewhere that may offer that aspect more.

I don't see those two interest areas as changing the calculus from the typical factors of $$/employment outcomes and where you want to end up (which is less of a factor since any of those can put you in a generic big city).
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:03 pm

BVest wrote: .
Thank you for the response.

Regarding the last question: Since I do have a more generic idea of where I want to end up, and the schools I've listed all have pretty similar employment outcomes, what would you recommend looking at other than the amount of $$$ I receive in order to help me decide?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:35 pm

What are some good ways for an out of state student to determine if Texas would be a good fit as a state to live in?

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:45 pm

somedeadman wrote:What are some good ways for an out of state student to determine if Texas would be a good fit as a state to live in?

+1

Is the best way to just visit? I'm going for ASD & staying a couple days after but that's about it

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:17 pm

brinicolec wrote:
somedeadman wrote:What are some good ways for an out of state student to determine if Texas would be a good fit as a state to live in?

+1

Is the best way to just visit? I'm going for ASD & staying a couple days after but that's about it
Do you guys like money and hot temperatures? If so, then you should love TX.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:26 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

+1

Interesting pitch. Are you referring to lower CoL when you refer to money? Lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:30 pm

brinicolec wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

+1

Interesting pitch. Are you referring to lower CoL when you refer to money? Lol
Including taxes, yes.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:00 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

+1

My biggest worry is traffic tbh. Otherwise, I am a big fan.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:23 pm

somedeadman wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

+1

The traffic is trash (mainly because the city keeps growing but they aren't building stuff to help ease the congestion, I think) but really, if you want to be in a big city, traffic will always be trash lol

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:24 pm

brinicolec wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

+1

Traffic is trash but really, if you want to be in a big city, traffic will always be trash lol
I can sit on the train in Chicago and New York at least. But then you have shitty weather and ridiculous COL...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:06 am

brinicolec wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

+1

The traffic is trash (mainly because the city keeps growing but they aren't building stuff to help ease the congestion, I think) but really, if you want to be in a big city, traffic will always be trash lol
Yeah, I've heard people from LA, DC, Atlanta, Austin, and Houston all complain about having the "worst" traffic.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:21 am

Hikikomorist wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

+1

Yeah, I've heard people from LA, DC, Atlanta, Austin, and Houston all complain about having the "worst" traffic.
I think the thing that threw me off about Texas' traffic is it wasn't "rush hour" traffic like it is in DC. Usually, outside of rush hour, DC traffic isn't too bad, but Texas' traffic just seemed to always be bad. Someone said part of that is because they're constantly doing construction (or at least, they were when I was there last).

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:59 am

brinicolec wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
somedeadman wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

+1

I think the thing that threw me off about Texas' traffic is it wasn't "rush hour" traffic like it is in DC. Usually, outside of rush hour, DC traffic isn't too bad, but Texas' traffic just seemed to always be bad. Someone said part of that is because they're constantly doing construction (or at least, they were when I was there last).
That reminds me: Austin has worse drivers than pretty much any city in the East. Almost overly passive and sort of oblivious.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:03 am

Hikikomorist wrote: That reminds me: Austin has worse drivers than pretty much any city in the East. Almost overly passive and sort of oblivious.
I meant to ask this. It was a question I thought of while driving to work behind some slow dummies lol.

I've seen some CRAZY DC drivers though. One time, someone cut someone else off on I-95 in DC and I literally watched the person who got cut off get into the lane beside them and basically try to cause them to get into an accident. I think passive and oblivious is better than extreme road-rage :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:48 am

Hikikomorist wrote:That reminds me: Austin has worse drivers than pretty much any city in the East. Almost overly passive and sort of oblivious.
If you think Texas has passive and oblivious drivers then you've never been to the Midwest.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:15 am

cannibal ox wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:That reminds me: Austin has worse drivers than pretty much any city in the East. Almost overly passive and sort of oblivious.
If you think Texas has passive and oblivious drivers then you've never been to the Midwest.
lol

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:09 am

cannibal ox wrote:
Last edited by somedeadman on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:08 pm

Any of the students in here asking questions OOS and from somewhere like D.C., LA, NYC, etc? If so, could you pm me please!?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”