Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BVest

Platinum

Re: Recently Graduated UT Law Student taking questions

Post by BVest » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:59 pm

BigZuck wrote:
PrezRand wrote:bump. need answers plz
In general I recommend all people abandon hope of getting big law in Austin. Maybe it will happen but just pretend like that isn't an option and proceed accordingly.
This. I did fairly well and I was targeting Austin. It didn't happen for me (not biglaw anyway). I do know a (very) small handful for whom it worked. Their grades were consistent with mine, but I totally get why an employer would pick them over me.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Babe-Loblaw

New

Post by Babe-Loblaw » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:48 pm

Anyone able to speak to the PI market in Austin? The handful of people I've spoken to said something along the lines of "well I got a job, but..." and it's starting to make me a little nervous. I know they've been holding their respective positions for several years though, so I'd be interested in a fresher take.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:00 pm

BigZuck wrote:
I think the answer to both questions is "It depends"

Haven't you made your own thread devoted to that topic? Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else.

In general I recommend all people abandon hope of getting big law in Austin. Maybe it will happen but just pretend like that isn't an option and proceed accordingly.

(This is where someone comes along and starts arguing with me)
I did make my own thread. I recently saw this thread and figured I might get more information from a recent UT grad. Would you say that placing in DC from UT is more likely with good grades than Austin?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:59 pm

PrezRand wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Haven't you made your own thread devoted to that topic? Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else.

I did make my own thread. I recently saw this thread and figured I might get more information from a recent UT grad. Would you say that placing in DC from UT is more likely with good grades than Austin?
...sure? I guess I would say that?

I don't know, I want to stick with "It depends" here. Legal hiring isn't as easy as "School rank+GPA=percentage chance in X market." Anecdotally I know more people going to D.C. than to Austin. I guess my perception is that D.C. might be a little easier than Austin but from my perspective we're talking about 2 nuts that are both very, very hard. I don't think either outcome is particularly likely for a UT student.

This line of discussion is just ACHING for someone to come along and VIGOROUSLY argue with me.

Also I think one of the keys to choosing a law school is not assuming that you'll get good grades.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:10 pm

BigZuck wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

...sure? I guess I would say that?

I don't know, I want to stick with "It depends" here. Legal hiring isn't as easy as "School rank+GPA=percentage chance in X market." Anecdotally I know more people going to D.C. than to Austin. I guess my perception is that D.C. might be a little easier than Austin but from my perspective we're talking about 2 nuts that are both very, very hard. I don't think either outcome is particularly likely for a UT student.

This line of discussion is just ACHING for someone to come along and VIGOROUSLY argue with me.

Also I think one of the keys to choosing a law school is not assuming that you'll get good grades.
I understand that part of choosing a law school is not assuming you will get good grades. I just believe you should potentially choose a law school that could best help you achieve tougher career goals if you do make good grades while also making sure you can get the job you want if you make average grades. It might be hard to get fed clerkship or break into another market even if you are at the top 5% at Baylor. It would be realistic if you could do that at.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:44 pm

BigZuck wrote:I don't know, I want to stick with "It depends" here. Legal hiring isn't as easy as "School rank+GPA=percentage chance in X market." Anecdotally I know more people going to D.C. than to Austin. I guess my perception is that D.C. might be a little easier than Austin but from my perspective we're talking about 2 nuts that are both very, very hard. I don't think either outcome is particularly likely for a UT student.

What kind of Austin biglaw are we talking here? Lit at an old-school Texas firm? Traditional corporate/M&A? Capital markets? Emerging growth/VC? Tech transactions? IP lit? Patent prosecution? Some are easier to break into than others. Hard IP is probably the easiest to get straight from UT. In emerging growth, it's almost impossible to get hired as an associate out of law school. There are only a few big firms that dominate that market. Almost every associate in my office, whether from UT or T14, is a lateral from somewhere else (DC, NYC, Houston, other East Coast). So if you don't get Austin right out of the gate, it's sometimes possible/easier to come back once you've gotten a start somewhere else.

As I recall, there's not much overlap in those who both (a) actually know what kind of law they want to practice and (b) want both Austin and DC biglaw. People get both, but either way you have to have the right credentials. If you're gunning for both, you should spend more time thinking about what you want to do (beyond just being preftigious) and what is available in each market. It also goes without saying that there are many, many more entry-level biglaw spots in DC than in Austin.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:01 pm

PrezRand wrote:I understand that part of choosing a law school is not assuming you will get good grades. I just believe you should potentially choose a law school that could best help you achieve tougher career goals if you do make good grades while also making sure you can get the job you want if you make average grades. It might be hard to get fed clerkship or break into another market even if you are at the top 5% at Baylor. It would be realistic if you could do that at.
Yeah.. he's not saying go to Baylor. Your goals are too lofty for the average median kid at UT, so unless you're fine with small/midlaw in Texas, go to a school with better placement. Austin/DC biglaw is not impossible but certainly not likely from UT. Assume you'll be median, then go to the school where the median kids get the jobs you're targeting.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:34 pm

philosoraptor wrote:Almost every associate in my office, whether from UT or T14, is a lateral from somewhere else (DC, NYC, Houston, other East Coast). So if you don't get Austin right out of the gate, it's sometimes possible/easier to come back once you've gotten a start somewhere else.

Yeah, this is a large part of why there are so few UT folks who land Austin biglaw... not that the jobs are going to other schools but that the firms are able to fill their associate ranks with associates from the firm's other offices lateraling in.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:10 pm

cannibal ox wrote: You're in one of 4 sections as a 1L and you'll take (almost) every class with your section for the first year, so you'll see the same 60-75 people (depending on class size) day in and day out. There are also social things based on your "society" which gets assigned to you. Things like a boat cruise, flag football, and a spirit week thingy. You'll get to know everyone in your section (if you want) and will have met plenty of people without making much of an effort..
Thanks so much! Each of your answers were very informative.

Did you meet most of your friends from your section?

Also, would you strongly recommend getting a car to live in Austin?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:22 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:
cannibal ox wrote: You're in one of 4 sections as a 1L and you'll take (almost) every class with your section for the first year, so you'll see the same 60-75 people (depending on class size) day in and day out. There are also social things based on your "society" which gets assigned to you. Things like a boat cruise, flag football, and a spirit week thingy. You'll get to know everyone in your section (if you want) and will have met plenty of people without making much of an effort..
Thanks so much! Each of your answers were very informative.

Did you meet most of your friends from your section?

Also, would you strongly recommend getting a car to live in Austin?
Yeah, most of my friends are from my section. I think that's common but not always the case. You just have so much more time with your section compared to everyone else. I remember being in classes as a 2L and barely recognizing anyone.

I have a car and I use it maybe once a week. I know people without a car who get along just fine. The bus system is.. adequate (to get you to school) and there's Uber/Lyft replacements (they left Austin). You'll be fine with or without a car, it's just personal preference on how willing you are to walk/take ride shares/take a bus or if you need to sense of freedom that comes with owning a car.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:24 pm

If you're going carless, make sure you get an apartment that is walkable to school or directly on a bus line that will get you there or very close. The bus system is, as ox says, adequate, but only so long as you don't have to transfer buses.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:27 pm

Train is pretty dope too but can get packed depending on time of day. It's just kind of a pain because you have to transfer (the transferring itself is pretty reliable it's just that it takes extra time)

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:19 pm

Awesome, thanks again cannibal ox!

Edit: And thanks everyone else too! I didn't see your responses the first time around.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:04 pm

Thanks for the advice.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

How do out of state students who graduate from Texas Law fair in hiring?

What does legal hiring in San Antonio look like (or where can one find out)?
Last edited by somedeadman on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:35 pm

San Antonio is a surprisingly small legal market, but has seen an increase in energy and related work, relatively speaking, due to the Eagle Ford shale.

That said, I find SA to be a very small community in general, despite the size of the city. There's Alamo Heights/Olmos Park and then the rest seems to be largely filler.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:48 pm

So it's probably safe to assume most UT big law kids will go to Dallas or Houston?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:54 pm

somedeadman wrote:So it's probably safe to assume most UT big law kids will go to Dallas or Houston?
Yes.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:52 am

Hard to know from anecdotes, but I wonder if the currently 2Ls did as well in NYC as the 3Ls. From the very limited sample size of the Summer Associate Class Size thread for this coming summer it seems like maybe less UT kids are going there compared to last summer.

Also curious if BigZuck's class can get UT back up to (near) 50% biglaw + fed clerk. I think the numbers are out in late March?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:55 am

cannibal ox wrote:Hard to know from anecdotes, but I wonder if the currently 2Ls did as well in NYC as the 3Ls. From the very limited sample size of the Summer Associate Class Size thread for this coming summer it seems like maybe less UT kids are going there compared to last summer.

Also curious if BigZuck's class can get UT back up to (near) 50% biglaw + fed clerk. I think the numbers are out in late March?
The NY results seemed good, but I don't have a substantial sample size to justify that optimism.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:24 am

cannibal ox wrote:Hard to know from anecdotes, but I wonder if the currently 2Ls did as well in NYC as the 3Ls. From the very limited sample size of the Summer Associate Class Size thread for this coming summer it seems like maybe less UT kids are going there compared to last summer.

I hope so. When was the last time UT was close to 50%?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:26 am

PrezRand wrote:

Class of 2016: (coming out in ~a month)
Class of 2015: 41.80%
Class of 2014: 46.44%
Class of 2013: 42.33%
Class of 2012: 35.12%
Class of 2011: 30.10%

(All statistics come from LST, which only goes back to the class of 2011)

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:27 am

Meanwhile, Vanderbilt is killing it.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:36 am

Hikikomorist wrote:Meanwhile, Vanderbilt is killing it.
Make your own conclusions, but I wouldn't call sub 50% "killing it."

Vanderbilt

Class of 2015: 47.02% (+5.22%)
Class of 2014: 41.23% (-5.21%)
Class of 2013: 45.14% (+2.81%)
Class of 2012: 38.77% (+3.65%)
Class of 2011: 40.40% (+10.30%)

(+/- is the difference from UT's statistics from the same year)

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:03 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
PrezRand wrote:

Class of 2015: 41.80%
Class of 2014: 46.44%
Class of 2013: 42.33%
Class of 2012: 35.12%
Class of 2011: 30.10%

(All statistics come from LST, which only goes back to the class of 2011)
Where do you get this info from?
Hikikomorist wrote:Meanwhile, Vanderbilt is killing it.
Vanderbilt targets multiple markets. UT focuses on Texas. Could this explain the difference?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”