0L class schedule Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
zoomzoom88

Silver

0L class schedule

Post by zoomzoom88 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:34 am

Hey guys -- silly question but was wondering what a 1L class schedule would be like. I know 5 days a week -- does that mean I should expect to be in school 9 -5?

thanks!

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Re: 0L class schedule

Post by WhiteyCakes » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:50 am

zoomzoom88 wrote:Hey guys -- silly question but was wondering what a 1L class schedule would be like. I know 5 days a week -- does that mean I should expect to be in school 9 -5?

thanks!
It isn't constant 9-5, probably more like 3-4 hours/day in class. But you should focus on getting into schools first....every school I've gotten into has included a typical 1L class schedule in their accepted students materials.

jackattack17

Bronze

Post by jackattack17 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:17 am

Yeah, won't actually be in class from 9-5, but you should plan to be at school for that period and make good use of your time between classes (i.e. do assigned reading). You might have a class at 9, 11, and 2, or something like that. If you have a dog at home that you need to let out during the day or something, you could probably manage that.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:22 am

It's just like undergrad. About 14 hours in class a week, and then utilize your time out of class. Cept if you are doing clinics/externships other stuff like that, then it can vary more, but usually just working with groups, or on-site.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:49 am

dietcoke0 wrote:It's just like undergrad. About 14 hours in class a week, and then utilize your time out of class. Cept if you are doing clinics/externships other stuff like that, then it can vary more, but usually just working with groups, or on-site.
Disregard this. Your first year of law school is not at all like a typical undergrad experience. As far as scheduling, classes are grouped together, beginning mid-morning and lasting till mid-afternoon at most schools. Studying for each course generally requires far more time outside class than the vast majority of UG classes. This is especially true during the first semester due to the learning curve, and the second semester due to the summer job search and moot court. YMMV, but be prepared for law school studies to consume your life 1L year.

Legal writing/moot court can also be a ton of hours of wrench-time for the (relatively) few credit hours you earn.

You also should not be doing clinics or externships 1L year.

ETA: diet coke is awesome.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:49 am

dietcoke0 wrote:It's just like undergrad. About 14 hours in class a week, and then utilize your time out of class. Cept if you are doing clinics/externships other stuff like that, then it can vary more, but usually just working with groups, or on-site.
are you even in law school?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:13 am

It really isn't much different from undergrad, but the classes will be chosen for you and your grades will be awful if you study as rarely as most of us did in undergrad.

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:39 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Disregard this. Your first year of law school is not at all like a typical undergrad experience. As far as scheduling, classes are grouped together, beginning mid-morning and lasting till mid-afternoon at most schools. Studying for each course generally requires far more time outside class than the vast majority of UG classes. This is especially true during the first semester due to the learning curve, and the second semester due to the summer job search and moot court. YMMV, but be prepared for law school studies to consume your life 1L year.

Legal writing/moot court can also be a ton of hours of wrench-time for the (relatively) few credit hours you earn.

You also should not be doing clinics or externships 1L year.

ETA: diet coke is awesome.
Well, my classes were not grouped together. Started class at 9 my first semester, got done at 4:20 on M, T, R, then had class from 9 to 3 on W. And I said you are in class for 14 hours a week, then you utilize your time outside. In that respect, it is like undergrad. I never said it was the same time amounts.

Then I was giving info about law school in general, not just 1L year with clinics and such.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:15 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Well, my classes were not grouped together. Started class at 9 my first semester, got done at 4:20 on M, T, R, then had class from 9 to 3 on W.
So what you're saying is:
patrickd139 wrote:classes are grouped together, beginning mid-morning and lasting till mid-afternoon at most schools.
dietcoke0 wrote:And I said you are in class for 14 hours a week, then you utilize your time outside. In that respect, it is like undergrad. I never said it was the same time amounts.
So what you're saying is: (?)
patrickd139 wrote:be prepared for law school studies to consume your life 1L year.
This is really the only 'issue' I took with your original statement. For the vast majority of students and law schools, studies did not consume your life in undergrad.

To suggest without further explanation that your schedule during the first year of law school is 'like' undergrad would be to suggest that studies do not consume your life. That's just not true for 99% of law students.
dietcoke0 wrote:Then I was giving info about law school in general, not just 1L year with clinics and such.
zoomzoom88 wrote:was wondering what a 1L class schedule would be like.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:29 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:Well, my classes were not grouped together. Started class at 9 my first semester, got done at 4:20 on M, T, R, then had class from 9 to 3 on W.
So what you're saying is:
patrickd139 wrote:classes are grouped together, beginning mid-morning and lasting till mid-afternoon at most schools.
dietcoke0 wrote:And I said you are in class for 14 hours a week, then you utilize your time outside. In that respect, it is like undergrad. I never said it was the same time amounts.
So what you're saying is: (?)
patrickd139 wrote:be prepared for law school studies to consume your life 1L year.
This is really the only 'issue' I took with your original statement. For the vast majority of students and law schools, studies did not consume your life in undergrad.

To suggest without further explanation that your schedule during the first year of law school is 'like' undergrad would be to suggest that studies do not consume your life. That's just not true for 99% of law students.
dietcoke0 wrote:Then I was giving info about law school in general, not just 1L year with clinics and such.
zoomzoom88 wrote:was wondering what a 1L class schedule would be like.

toomuchquoting;dr

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:41 am

definitely not 1. was series of 2-3 hour breaks between classes. My section had first class, and last class of day. People would see us leaving our last class, coming from home, after showering, eating, and coming back to the library to study. Was a drag because it was long breaks every day, but not long enough to go home.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”