NYC to 190 by 2016 (in appropriate forum) Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
gaucholaw

Bronze

NYC to 190 by 2016 (in appropriate forum)

Post by gaucholaw » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:17 am

What do you guys think? I know it's speculative at best, yet salaries haven't gone up since '07... and I have difficulty imagining a full decade without a raise. BTW, before ppl start screaming at me for being a 0L, this is relevant to me, as I'm trying to find some (inner) peace with how im gonna pay my loans.
Thanks!

special shout-out to the mod for "politely" informing me of the rules (sorry I'm human)

EvilClinton

Bronze

Re: NYC to 190 by 2016 (in appropriate forum)

Post by EvilClinton » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:19 am

gaucholaw wrote:What do you guys think? I know it's speculative at best, yet salaries haven't gone up since '07... and I have difficulty imagining a full decade without a raise. BTW, before ppl start screaming at me for being a 0L, this is relevant to me, as I'm trying to find some (inner) peace with how im gonna pay my loans.
Thanks!

special shout-out to the mod for "politely" informing me of the rules (sorry I'm human)
http://abovethelaw.com/2007/06/more-rumors-nyc-to-190/

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:21 am

If they do go up, it'll probably be commensurate with inflation when you take into account the time since salaries rose to 160k

Meanwhile law school tuition increases have (probably are still at a bunch of schools) been rapidly outpacing the rate of inflation

Srry brah

gaucholaw

Bronze

Post by gaucholaw » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:22 am

thanks for the reply :P although I guess what im interested in is more the bouncing back and forth of ideas, rather than the ATL literature... i don't expect anyone to have insider knowledge perse, to be perfectly honest, I'm just in a post-school finals diversionary mood, and happened to be thinking about this

EvilClinton

Bronze

Post by EvilClinton » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:23 am

gaucholaw wrote:thanks for the reply :P although I guess what im interested in is more the bouncing back and forth of ideas, rather than the ATL literature... i don't expect anyone to have insider knowledge perse, to be perfectly honest, I'm just in a post-school finals diversionary mood, and happened to be thinking about this
Don't go to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gaucholaw

Bronze

Post by gaucholaw » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:24 am

rad lulz wrote:If they do go up, it'll probably be commensurate with inflation when you take into account the time since salaries rose to 160k

Meanwhile law school tuition increases have (probably are still at a bunch of schools) been rapidly outpacing the rate of inflation

Srry brah
ya, i mean 'tis what it is, I mean (and feel like a lot of ppl feel this way) im not even interested in law for the money, i just will prolly need those 3-4 years of biglaw to hack at debt, and then hopefully find that middle-way of not overworked, slightly fulfilled, enough money to live comfortably... you guys know the drill

LittleTree

New

Post by LittleTree » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:24 am

EvilClinton wrote:
gaucholaw wrote:What do you guys think? I know it's speculative at best, yet salaries haven't gone up since '07... and I have difficulty imagining a full decade without a raise. BTW, before ppl start screaming at me for being a 0L, this is relevant to me, as I'm trying to find some (inner) peace with how im gonna pay my loans.
Thanks!

I think you meant to link this article - http://abovethelaw.com/tag/ny-to-190/ you linked a 2007 one.

gaucholaw

Bronze

Post by gaucholaw » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:26 am

Don't go to law school.[/quote]

that seems to be a common theme, although I'm only looking at roughly 60k in debt, so I think in my case, it's probably fairly worthwhile/ not too big of a risk

gaucholaw

Bronze

Post by gaucholaw » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:27 am

honestly though, more i think about it... BIGTEX seems like the best option (UVA places decently there right?)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:28 am

Thanks!

There's more likelihood that salaries will decrease than they would increase. Too many ways to outsource functions of law firms.

EvilClinton

Bronze

Post by EvilClinton » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:30 am

gaucholaw wrote:honestly though, more i think about it... BIGTEX seems like the best option (UVA places decently there right?)
Nope....Texas is more about ties than anything else. Unless you have top grades (no way of predicting this ahead of time) or major ties to Texas it will be a stretch.

Aawaldrop

Bronze

Post by Aawaldrop » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:31 am

60k in debt does not warrant 3-4 years in biglaw let alone biglaw at all

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:34 am

LittleTree wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:
Thanks!

I think you meant to link this article - http://abovethelaw.com/tag/ny-to-190/ you linked a 2007 one.
I think that linking was on purpose... people have been talking about it for six years, yet still no 190

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gaucholaw

Bronze

Post by gaucholaw » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:39 am

EvilClinton wrote:
gaucholaw wrote:honestly though, more i think about it... BIGTEX seems like the best option (UVA places decently there right?)
Nope....Texas is more about ties than anything else. Unless you have top grades (no way of predicting this ahead of time) or major ties to Texas it will be a stretch.

to shift this thread to grades.... in undergrad i always saw how when i had relationships with teachers I ALWAYS did better.... now I know that tests are graded anonymously.... but i've been toying with a jedi-mind trick that i think could work.... go to office hours, and constantly have certain characteristic catch phrases - something that the prof would recognize as you - then somehow slip it slyly in the exam... the prof will then subconsciously recognize that its you... and assuming he likes you will grade you better.... maybe this logic is flawed... but im surprised that ppl on tls never try to think about clever schemes to get around grading

EvilClinton

Bronze

Post by EvilClinton » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:41 am

gaucholaw wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:

to shift this thread to grades.... in undergrad i always saw how when i had relationships with teachers I ALWAYS did better.... now I know that tests are graded anonymously.... but i've been toying with a jedi-mind trick that i think could work.... go to office hours, and constantly have certain characteristic catch phrases - something that the prof would recognize as you - then somehow slip it slyly in the exam... the prof will then subconsciously recognize that its you... and assuming he likes you will grade you better.... maybe this logic is flawed... but im surprised that ppl on tls never try to think about clever schemes to get around grading
Don't go to law school.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:52 am

EvilClinton wrote:
gaucholaw wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:

Don't go to law school.
Now we know that individual was trolling.

gaucholaw

Bronze

Post by gaucholaw » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:13 am

Yes I'm totally trolling about being in UVA with scholly
Well done tls

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:50 am

Data shows that overall salaries have been decreasing. NALP has an article on that somewhere. With law firms under pressure to cut costs and an almost endless array of talent pool for hiring, I see no pressure to increase salaries. With the tiny bonus and maybe no spring bonus, salaries have been in effect decreasing. The not paying a spring bonus is a large
part of the reason firms managed to be
profitable last year.

It isn't as if firms cut salaries to say $145,000 or $125,000 no one would go there. Starting salary seems to be the sole focus of most 0Ls. They will still flock to biglaw and pay full sticker to get there.

Also, you can't forget the effect of the recession. So no reason for firms to pay more even though tuition and rent in NYC continue to increase.

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:53 am

EvilClinton wrote:
gaucholaw wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:

Don't go to law school.[/]
Please learn how the mandatory curve works.

Futuregohan14

Bronze

Post by Futuregohan14 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:08 am

Bump for accuracy. OP called it

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”