NYU 2Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JamMasterJ

Platinum

NYU 2Ls taking questions

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:32 am

Write on - please distract me

Apartment information (PM me for anything you'd like to add):
Neighborhoods

Additional Information:
nabewise.com
nakedapartments.com/guides/nyc

Upper West Side:
15-30 minutes to school (all distances are by train unless walking is faster and ranges are based on closest part of neighborhood to furthest part).
Good: quiet, super safe, decent subway access to the whole city except Queens and the UES, prices are among the lowest of neighborhoods within 1/2 hour of school, Central Park access, better restaurant options than UES, all around good neighborhood for people not wanting to go full-NY.
Bad: Not a young crowd, a little out of the way, restaurants are a little expensive and geared toward 30-somethings.

Upper East Side:
20-40 minutes from school.
Generally similar to the UWS. Slightly cheaper - especially the further east you get. Restaurants are a little more expensive and as there's only one subway, access is pretty bad.

Midtown:
10-20 minutes from school.
Pretty expensive (except maybe Hell's Kitchen). Access to everywhere in Manhattan. Tons of restaurants and bars - pretty expensive. Incredibly packed so not great if you're from a small town and don't want to be completely overwhelmed.
Not really a place where students live except Hell's Kitchen.

East Village including Stuy-town:
10-20 minutes (generally walking only since there's not really a subway over there). Get a bike!!!!
Awesome restaurants and bars at great prices. No subway access without walking over to Astor Place or Union Square.
I didn't really look at prices there but they're generally high and the housing stock is not very good.

West Village/Greenwich Village:
0-15 minutes.
Really expensive unless you're in student housing (which is still pretty high. Great bars and restaurants and obviously incredible proximity to school.

Brooklyn part 1 (Williamsburg, DUMBO, BK Heights, Fort Green, Boerum Hill, Park Slope etc.):
20-40 minutes generally. Pretty bad late at night.
Prices are similar to UES/UWS in many areas with slightly worse train access. More college-y and a greater number of students there than uptown. Great bars and restaurants at awesome prices. However, if you're a BK person, you probably won't hang out in the city quite as much and it can be a little tough to get people to come out that way.

Brooklyn part 2 (Prospect Heights and other outer neighborhoods).
Cheap and really inaccessible. Be careful - some of the neighborhoods are still a little unsafe.

Queens part 1 (Astoria and Long Island City)
25-40 minutes to school.
I'm not too familiar with the area but I do know that some places in Astoria are incredible for the money. The neighborhoods in Queens that are close to MH are very safe.

Queens part 2 (further reaches)
far and not necessarily a great place to be at night. Super cheap and inaccessible. Some of the neighborhoods (i.e. Forest Park) are supposed to be pretty nice but I don't really know much.
Search tools:
Streeteasy.com - you can sort by price, whether or not you want a broker, bedrooms, etc. Make sure you are looking at rentals rather than sales.
Padmapper - pretty good but NYC apartments move quickly and a lot of these will be unavailable when you call.
NYU law coases listserv and NYU listserv - the general list-serv has an apartment search function and if you ask for help on the law-specific listserv, people are pretty helpful.
Insurent.com - for people unable to get a guarantor, a limited number of landlords will take insurent. This is a program where you pay a percentage (generally between 75 and 100% of one month's rent for this company to provide a lease guarantee, which is a type of insurance that they pay your landlord in the case that you default on your lease. They still generally require good credit, or a parent guarantor that makes 50x your monthly rent, but it's a lot better than 80x. Obviously, there's the same problem of essentially throwing money away as there is for getting a broker.

FAQ:
Should I use a broker?
Not if you can avoid it. Brokers in New York charge between 8% of your annual rent and 2 full months of rent. They do provide a valuable service - there are amazing, well-priced apartments that cannot be gotten without their exclusive access. They can definitely help if you're unfamiliar with New York and don't want to get screwed on your cost/value. However, note that a 2K per month place without a broker ends up costing 24K for the year, and you can only get between $1725 and $1850 worth of apartment for the same money if you use a broker.

How much money do I need to move in?
That really depends. If you have all your ducks in a row - a NY/Conn/NJ guarantor who makes 80x your monthly rent, you can pay first month's rent and a security deposit (generally one month of rent). Sometimes, they require first, last, and a security deposit. Don't forget that even if you're not moving particularly far, and aren't using a service, moving can be a bit expensive.
If you don't have a guarantor, things can get really tricky. We ended up paying first two months, last two months and security (five months rent). If you definitely can't get a guarantor, be prepared to pay up to six months rent. You really should try to live on campus if you're in this situation.
REMEMBER: loans are disbursed around the time classes start. Unless you can find a short term sublet, you won't be able to use loan money toward these costs.

Guarantor???
In NYC, demand for apartments is way higher than supply. Therefore, landlords will do everything they are allowed to legally do to guarantee that they make money, and can create horrible hoops to jump through. Generally, this means that you must make 40x the monthly rent. So if you have a 2k/month place, you need an annual salary of 80K. Unless you have a roommate that makes bank, you can't fulfill this requirement. Therefore, you will need a person to guaranty your lease who makes 80x the rent. This can sometimes be a combination of people (i.e. your parent makes 90K and your roommate's parent makes 70K). However, many old-school landlords will not take guarantors from states other than Connecticut, New Jersey, or NY. See the section on insurent for possibly getting around this.
Last edited by JamMasterJ on Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:48 am, edited 6 times in total.

indigomachine

Bronze

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Post by indigomachine » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:36 am

I AM HERE!!

Whatup jam?

westphillybandr

Bronze

Post by westphillybandr » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:49 am

How is the 1L job search?

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:55 am

How much is the CoL actually gonna be for NYU for 9 months?

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:01 am

I haven't actually started looking. OCS is pretty big on constantly encouraging everyone to deal with exams and then worry about the summer, but I do know a few people that already have some things lined up in Europe and I think that people will be hearing back on Ford Foundation stuff soon (newer program at NYU and HYS for PI where you basically just get a ton of money to work with really cool PI organizations)

In terms of COL: rent is a bitch but in terms of actual expenses, I think it's as expensive as you want to make it really. It's tempting to go out / eat out a lot, but spending a bucket of cash is definitely not mandatory. Also, there are tons of events with free alcohol, so that stems some of the bleeding on that end of things.

It's not cheap, but having lived in a few other cities before, it's definitely not mind-numbingly expensive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:15 am

westphillybandr wrote:How is the 1L job search?
Haven't started. From what I hear, getting something PI is essentially guaranteed. I have a couple random feelers out for hometown firms. The NYU name goes a long way. But I'm planning on probably doing PI

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:40 am

Jam, why didn't you just bump the other NYU 1L thread? Also, are the blogs on the website credited, or are the bloggers prole goobers?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:47 am

MTH2 wrote:Jam, why didn't you just bump the other NYU 1L thread? Also, are the blogs on the website credited, or are the bloggers prole goobers?
IDK. Shiny new things and all that. I haven't read any of the blogs except for one written by a friend. I don't think any of it's misleading or anything. But I do think the best way to get a feel for a school is to visit, and if they have a strong presence on here, definitely use it. I absolutely think the feelings I've gotten about certain schools from discussion on TLS have been really accurate.

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:09 pm

If you're comfortable answering this:

-Did you negotiate your scholarship? If so, how/what did you use? Are they somewhat flexible with regards to that?

-What's the rent range in NYC? I've hard horror stories, but I'm looking for student budgets?

-How much per month are the NYU apartment options? Did anyone get stuck with super awful roomies?

Thanks!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anciano

Bronze

Post by Anciano » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:13 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:-How much per month are the NYU apartment options? Did anyone get stuck with super awful roomies?
I live in the NYU student housing, and it ranges from about $1400-2000 a person a month, which believe it or not is fairly reasonable for the neighborhood. My roommates (like pretty much everyone I've met at NYU) are really easy to get along with. I haven't even heard any really awful roommate stories.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Are there any significant differences (pros/cons) between the two housing options?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:39 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:If you're comfortable answering this:

-Did you negotiate your scholarship? If so, how/what did you use? Are they somewhat flexible with regards to that?

-What's the rent range in NYC? I've hard horror stories, but I'm looking for student budgets?

-How much per month are the NYU apartment options? Did anyone get stuck with super awful roomies?

Thanks!!
Did not negotiate. I had a better offer at NYU than at a lower ranked school.

I pay 1800 for a 1br with my wife. If you're willing to go 15-25 minutes away from school, you can get a 2br for around 2K, which is cheaper than the cheapest on campus apartment and significantly bigger. This is what indigo has.

Also, all the on campus options are on the website, and I think given that NYU students tend to be less odd than your average law student, you're more likely to not get a weirdo but also slightly more likely to get someone who wants to party.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:41 pm

moonman157 wrote:Are there any significant differences (pros/cons) between the two housing options?
on v. off campus, or Mercer v. Dag?

The difference in on v. off is that you choose between probably a bit better price v. having virtually no commute. on the other hand, there's a lot to be said for being able to get away from it all. I've had fun at dorm parties but I can't imagine having my whole existence based around that

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:11 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Are there any significant differences (pros/cons) between the two housing options?

The difference in on v. off is that you choose between probably a bit better price v. having virtually no commute. on the other hand, there's a lot to be said for being able to get away from it all. I've had fun at dorm parties but I can't imagine having my whole existence based around that
Mercer v. Dag is what I meant lol. Sorry for being unclear. Thanks for the info though!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:14 pm

moonman157 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Mercer v. Dag is what I meant lol. Sorry for being unclear. Thanks for the info though!
Mercer's more and bigger and nicer. Slightly further from school though

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:31 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
moonman157 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Mercer's more and bigger and nicer. Slightly further from school though
Ok, thanks! I'm sure I'll be revisiting this thread as I continue through the process of deciding on a school.

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:09 am

At this point I'm pretty much choosing between NYU and HLS. Can anyone already at NYU weigh in on pros and cons from their point of view? Also, did any of the 1Ls in this thread turn down HLS for NYU?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:44 am

Mr. Elshal wrote:At this point I'm pretty much choosing between NYU and HLS. Can anyone already at NYU weigh in on pros and cons from their point of view? Also, did any of the 1Ls in this thread turn down HLS for NYU?
If you want biglaw in NYC, or maybe PI, then 45K or more cheaper in COA should be what makes you choose here over H. Also, there's the whole NYC v. Boston-ish thing that appeals to some, me especially. H will likely open more doors and unless there's a significant money difference, you ought to go there if you aren't at all sure what you want to do with the degree.

indigo will be an even more fervent supporter of choosing NYU over H, as he ED'd NYU while having a shot at H. There is a sentiment in NYC biglaw that HCN are pretty much the same. The employers around here really like us for some reason because from what I've heard, our approach is quite practical and our lawyering (Legal research and writing) program is outstanding.

I think the two questions you need the answer to are:
1) what do you want to do, at least generally speaking.
2) what's the COA at each, which you can't know yet as we haven't released aid yet.

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:12 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Mr. Elshal wrote:At this point I'm pretty much choosing between NYU and HLS. Can anyone already at NYU weigh in on pros and cons from their point of view? Also, did any of the 1Ls in this thread turn down HLS for NYU?
If you want biglaw in NYC, or maybe PI, then 45K or more cheaper in COA should be what makes you choose here over H. Also, there's the whole NYC v. Boston-ish thing that appeals to some, me especially. H will likely open more doors and unless there's a significant money difference, you ought to go there if you aren't at all sure what you want to do with the degree.

indigo will be an even more fervent supporter of choosing NYU over H, as he ED'd NYU while having a shot at H. There is a sentiment in NYC biglaw that HCN are pretty much the same. The employers around here really like us for some reason because from what I've heard, our approach is quite practical and our lawyering (Legal research and writing) program is outstanding.

I think the two questions you need the answer to are:
1) what do you want to do, at least generally speaking.
2) what's the COA at each, which you can't know yet as we haven't released aid yet.
Thanks. I guess it's time for some serious thought and decision-making.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:48 am

I'm guessing its a lot of money versus sticker HLS?

Mr. Elshal

Silver

Post by Mr. Elshal » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:58 am

thelawyler wrote:
I'm guessing its a lot of money versus sticker HLS?
I haven't heard from NYU about money yet but presumably yes

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:47 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:If you're comfortable answering this:

Thanks!!
1. I negotiated into aid after ED admit on the basis of need.

2. Reasonably, can expect to pay anywhere between 900 (with 3 roomies and somewhat far away) to 2000 off campus. I pay on the lower end of that scale and have had no problem living in the city and having fun on the student budget. (prices are per person, not entire apt.)

3. On campus rates: http://www.law.nyu.edu/housing/ratesand ... /index.htm ; I've heard one or two stories of roomie drama, but nothing on the scale of "awful roomie, I hate them!". Just typical personalities not necessarily matching.

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:58 am

I think it just depends on what you're looking for in a school and where you want to live.

H: more portable, better shot at DC, clerkships, non-NYC biglaw things, Boston/Cambridge

N: less portable, seems to be about the same for NYC biglaw, NYU's generally awesome with PI so if you want that you're at a great place too, NYC

For me, I had done some work with HLS and definitely enjoyed the small group of people I met there. Some things that swayed me to eventually preferring NYU over HLS: I needed space from family, am planning on at least working in NYC biglaw for my first job after graduation (pay off dat debt), and I like living in NYC more than Boston (they're definitely very different cities).

I have a few friends who have taken NYU over Y/H. It's not weird. Usually it involves significant scholly from NYU though. I think it just depends on the trajectory you're looking for after graduation and where you think you'll enjoy the most. (really helps to like your law school a lot when you're going through finals-hell)

ssteiner

Bronze

Post by ssteiner » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:09 am

Indigo's been bugging me to join, so I'll jump into the fray.
fruitoftheloom wrote: -How much per month are the NYU apartment options? Did anyone get stuck with super awful roomies?
I live in Mercer and definitely think it's worthwhile. I elected for one of the more spacious apartments at 1700/month, but that's because I'd lived in a room resembling a closet for the past four years and wanted some space to actually stretch out. There are options in D'ag that are smaller but significantly cheaper, like 1400ish. If you want to live in the area, those prices are basically standard. I find living on campus to be pretty great- I feel like I'm much more social and go to more events on campus than most of my off-campus friends do because of how convenient it is.

ETA: And my roommate is fine. Not someone I'd have chosen to live with because we're pretty different personality-wise, but we get along well. I've never heard a serious horror story, just standard grievances.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:48 am

Most people I know get along with their roommates. I do know a few people who are annoyed at their law dorm roommates, but at least you can easily request a room change. My friends who ended up finding random roommates in the city are the ones with far biggest roommate issues as you're stuck with an actual lease.

And I'd say most people here in Dag are happy with their rooms. It's also cheaper and closer to the law school.
Last edited by thelawyler on Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”