NYU 2Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
banjo

Silver

Re: NYU 1Ls taking questions

Post by banjo » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Okay, I have a lifestyle question that some of you former Chicagoans might be able to answer

One thing I love about NYU (and to a lesser extent Columbia) is being able to step out of the library at 2AM and take a walk around the block to people-watch, stretch my legs, or grab coffee/pizza/falafel. This really lifts my mood and helps me study better. I also really like being able to study until 11 or 11:30pm on Friday or Saturday evenings without worrying about bars closing. It's never too late to go out.

As someone who has never lived in Chicago, and only been to Hyde Park for quick visits, is this something I'd be able to do if I attended UChicago? Are there any neighborhoods within a 30-minute commute of the school that offer this kind of late night student-friendly environment?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:31 pm

banjo wrote:Okay, I have a lifestyle question that some of you former Chicagoans might be able to answer

One thing I love about NYU (and to a lesser extent Columbia) is being able to step out of the library at 2AM and take a walk around the block to people-watch, stretch my legs, or grab coffee/pizza/falafel. This really lifts my mood and helps me study better. I also really like being able to study until 11 or 11:30pm on Friday or Saturday evenings without worrying about bars closing. It's never too late to go out.

As someone who has never lived in Chicago, and only been to Hyde Park for quick visits, is this something I'd be able to do if I attended UChicago? Are there any neighborhoods within a 30-minute commute of the school that offer this kind of late night student-friendly environment?
You can take the bus up to the actual city. I think it's a little over half an hour. There are some food options in HP, but not nearly as extensive as here and in actual Chicago (where NU is). HP's not really a going out area, and I think more importantly, it doesn't have a lot of that atmosphere, whereas NYU does.

alldabest13

New

Post by alldabest13 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:18 pm

indigomachine wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:If you're comfortable answering this:

-Did you negotiate your scholarship? If so, how/what did you use? Are they somewhat flexible with regards to that?

-What's the rent range in NYC? I've hard horror stories, but I'm looking for student budgets?

-How much per month are the NYU apartment options? Did anyone get stuck with super awful roomies?

Thanks!!
1. I negotiated into aid after ED admit on the basis of need.

2. Reasonably, can expect to pay anywhere between 900 (with 3 roomies and somewhat far away) to 2000 off campus. I pay on the lower end of that scale and have had no problem living in the city and having fun on the student budget. (prices are per person, not entire apt.)

3. On campus rates: http://www.law.nyu.edu/housing/ratesand ... /index.htm ; I've heard one or two stories of roomie drama, but nothing on the scale of "awful roomie, I hate them!". Just typical personalities not necessarily matching.
Can you just explain what you mean when you said you negotiated into aid after ED admit on the basis of need?

How exactly did you go about doing so?

indigomachine

Bronze

Post by indigomachine » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:35 pm

alldabest13 wrote:
indigomachine wrote:

-Did you negotiate your scholarship? If so, how/what did you use? Are they somewhat flexible with regards to that?

-What's the rent range in NYC? I've hard horror stories, but I'm looking for student budgets?

-How much per month are the NYU apartment options? Did anyone get stuck with super awful roomies?

Thanks!!
1. I negotiated into aid after ED admit on the basis of need.

2. Reasonably, can expect to pay anywhere between 900 (with 3 roomies and somewhat far away) to 2000 off campus. I pay on the lower end of that scale and have had no problem living in the city and having fun on the student budget. (prices are per person, not entire apt.)

3. On campus rates: http://www.law.nyu.edu/housing/ratesand ... /index.htm ; I've heard one or two stories of roomie drama, but nothing on the scale of "awful roomie, I hate them!". Just typical personalities not necessarily matching.
Can you just explain what you mean when you said you negotiated into aid after ED admit on the basis of need?

How exactly did you go about doing so?
NYU has an aid appeal form you can fill out if you're not happy with your aid package. I think most people appeal with "school X gave me this much money". CCN doesn't seem to care much about offers below or within that tier, so I think that's why a lot of appeals aren't successful. Without going into too much personal info, my appeal focused more on a detailed account of my family's inability to contribute, my undergrad debt, and what interest would do to all of the above if I had to pay at sticker price. (Important Note: NYU fin aid distinguishes between family unwillingness to contribute and inability; a long appeal on how your parents won't help you out will not get you any additional aid).

HTH. PM me if you need any clarification.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:48 pm

Do you know of any people that lived in NYC prior to attending NYU?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:55 pm

armedwithamind wrote:Do you know of any people that lived in NYC prior to attending NYU?
I'm C/O 2016, but I've been living and working in NYC for a number of years.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:57 pm

armedwithamind wrote:Do you know of any people that lived in NYC prior to attending NYU?
Tons of people have done this, maybe close to like 10%. You won't be alone by any means.

alex.feuerman

Bronze

Post by alex.feuerman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:07 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:

Thanks!!
Did not negotiate. I had a better offer at NYU than at a lower ranked school.

I pay 1800 for a 1br with my wife. If you're willing to go 15-25 minutes away from school, you can get a 2br for around 2K, which is cheaper than the cheapest on campus apartment and significantly bigger. This is what indigo has.

Also, all the on campus options are on the website, and I think given that NYU students tend to be less odd than your average law student, you're more likely to not get a weirdo but also slightly more likely to get someone who wants to party.
You're probably the only person that's going to be able to answer this for me. What was it like being married and dealing with studying constantly / having them not relate or understand anything you were studying and then finals period. Did you like...not see your wife for a month? My poor husband still has nightmares about my LSAT study period

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:10 am

alex.feuerman wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Thanks!!

I pay 1800 for a 1br with my wife. If you're willing to go 15-25 minutes away from school, you can get a 2br for around 2K, which is cheaper than the cheapest on campus apartment and significantly bigger. This is what indigo has.

Also, all the on campus options are on the website, and I think given that NYU students tend to be less odd than your average law student, you're more likely to not get a weirdo but also slightly more likely to get someone who wants to party.
You're probably the only person that's going to be able to answer this for me. What was it like being married and dealing with studying constantly / having them not relate or understand anything you were studying and then finals period. Did you like...not see your wife for a month? My poor husband still has nightmares about my LSAT study period
no it's not like that at all. If you make sure that your social life is very inclusive of your spouse, this really isn't a problem. Indigo is my best friend at NYU and he and my wife and I (as well as another person or so) hang out all the time. If you treat school like a 40-50 hour per week job until mid-November, you will have plenty of free time. As long as you don't spend that time in the school without your spouse, you will be fine. I eat dinner with my wife and spend 1-2 hours watching TV with her after I finish studying every day, as well as a bit more on the weekends.

Nov 15ish - Dec 21st will be crap though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:21 am

3L here, totally maxing and relaxing. Happy to jump in and answer any law firm-related or clerkship questions.

Happy holidays!

ssteiner

Bronze

Post by ssteiner » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:01 am

I've lived in NY my whole life and went to college here. There are a good number of us around.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:10 am

ssteiner wrote:
I've lived in NY my whole life and went to college here. There are a good number of us around.
Did you wind up staying at your current living space or did you end up moving? If you stayed, do you feel it affected the development of friendships within the school?

Swimp

Bronze

Post by Swimp » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:32 am

forza wrote:3L here, totally maxing and relaxing. Happy to jump in and answer any law firm-related or clerkship questions.

Happy holidays!
Hey forza. How supportive is NYU of students applying to clerkships outside the "official" timeline? From what I've read, this has become more and more of an issue in the past few years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:22 pm

Swimp wrote:
forza wrote:3L here, totally maxing and relaxing. Happy to jump in and answer any law firm-related or clerkship questions.

Happy holidays!
Hey forza. How supportive is NYU of students applying to clerkships outside the "official" timeline? From what I've read, this has become more and more of an issue in the past few years.
Hey there. So the clerkship "plan" is a total mess and two schools (Stanford and G'town) blatantly ditched it this year. I can tell you anecdotally that the NYU judicial clerkship office was very helpful to me in the few off-plan applications I sent in July (the Plan date is in September). I happened to know one of the clerks for a COA judge who tipped me off about the fact that her judge was looking at applications and scheduling interviews early, and the JCO had no problem with me sending applications early in circumstances like that.

The one hiccup is that you won't have letters of recommendation from your professors until the Plan date, so I sent my application with just one LOR from a partner I worked closely with at my summer firm, and indicated in the cover letter that two more letters from professors would be forthcoming. I interviewed in July for the COA spot but didn't get it. Ended up with a few on-Plan interviews with D. Ct. judges and luckily snagged one.

It's a huge pain in the ass process, since many judges will hire 2Ls WAY early (spring semester of 2L year) and be all booked up through, like, 2016. But there are many great judges who will stick to the Plan, including the ones with whom I interviewed.

Also, NYU's 100-application limit is bunk. Obviously you can't send unlimited paper applications, but apply to as many judges as you want on OSCAR (the online application system) -- the LORs attach automatically and you're increasing your odds with every additional application. I sent about 175.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

ssteiner

Bronze

Post by ssteiner » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:02 pm

armedwithamind wrote:
ssteiner wrote:
Did you wind up staying at your current living space or did you end up moving? If you stayed, do you feel it affected the development of friendships within the school?
I elected for the on-campus housing because I came straight from college and was living in a dorm, so I needed to go someplace. I could have moved back home with my parents (who live in Queens), which obviously would have been the more cost-efficient option, but I don't have the best relationship with them and decided that I'd be more social if I lived on campus. But that was definitely a personal thing- I know a ton of people who live off campus (both native NYCers and not) and they don't have a problem maintaining an active social life and friendships. So it's really a personal thing. If you have a good living situation wherever you are and don't think you'd mind staying around campus after class hours (because generally people congregate around here to hang out), then there's really no reason to move.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Yeah a lot of my friends live 20-30 minutes off campus by subway, and even though I live across the street from the school I'm still friends with them.

You'll be fine staying where you are if you don't mind the commute.

alex.feuerman

Bronze

Post by alex.feuerman » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:54 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
alex.feuerman wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Thanks!!

no it's not like that at all. If you make sure that your social life is very inclusive of your spouse, this really isn't a problem. Indigo is my best friend at NYU and he and my wife and I (as well as another person or so) hang out all the time. If you treat school like a 40-50 hour per week job until mid-November, you will have plenty of free time. As long as you don't spend that time in the school without your spouse, you will be fine. I eat dinner with my wife and spend 1-2 hours watching TV with her after I finish studying every day, as well as a bit more on the weekends.

Nov 15ish - Dec 21st will be crap though.
Thanks yea that was my plan anyway. Figured I'd get over there at 9 am and hang out in the library til 5 (he works full time so it's not like we'd be together anyway) As far as the crap well through good and bad times...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:07 pm

NYC Living Question: I have a 50 pound dog. How much of an ass-ache is it going to be to find a pet-friendly apartment? I'm planning on looking mostly in Brooklyn due to the lower costs. Does anyone think this is going to be impossible to find?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:25 pm

ph5354a wrote:NYC Living Question: I have a 50 pound dog. How much of an ass-ache is it going to be to find a pet-friendly apartment? I'm planning on looking mostly in Brooklyn due to the lower costs. Does anyone think this is going to be impossible to find?
Dog weight can be a little tricky, but you should be able to find something if you're willing to pay. Most buildings will just make you pay a pet fee. Ours is $500 for the entirety of the time we live here (which is why we're not getting a dog till we move), but I've heard of cheaper.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:15 pm

What would you say is the portion of NYU students living in Brooklyn? Do you think those living there feel removed/disconnected from campus life?

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:01 pm

ph5354a wrote:What would you say is the portion of NYU students living in Brooklyn? Do you think those living there feel removed/disconnected from campus life?
I'd guess 10-20% of 1L's live in BK, probably closer to 30-40% for 2/3L's.

Anecdote: I have two close friends who lived in BK first semester. One is planning on moving to the city for 2L, and the other already broke her lease to start living in the city come January. Their biggest complaint was the commute and how draining it was (~1 hour each)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rehsalt

New

Post by rehsalt » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Hey guys, thanks a lot for doing this.

Happy holidays!
I would like to know about clerkship opportunities at NYU. How many NYUers typically get Article III clerkships per year? Is there a group of students that might work together on getting the clerkships or is everyone on their own? Is that a seriously naive question?

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:32 pm

rehsalt wrote:Hey guys, thanks a lot for doing this.

Happy holidays!
I would like to know about clerkship opportunities at NYU. How many NYUers typically get Article III clerkships per year? Is there a group of students that might work together on getting the clerkships or is everyone on their own? Is that a seriously naive question?
I remember hearing somewhere that ~120 NYUers every year get a clerkship, give or take. Your odds aren't bad, especially if you have ties to another geographical area of the country (my southern ties no doubt helped me bag my clerkship). Of course, the process is a huge black box and comes down to having great grades, a clean application, and often times, knowing the right people (a clerk in a judge's chambers, the right professor, etc).

As for the process, it's highly individual. NYU has a great handbook and tons of data from alumni who have clerked, so all of that will help you. But I do remember the process requiring a lot of individual legwork (researching judges, hunting down recommendations, tailoring cover letters, cleaning up my writing sample(s), etc).

Hope this helps. Fire away with any other questions.

rehsalt

New

Post by rehsalt » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:09 pm

forza wrote:I remember hearing somewhere that ~120 NYUers every year get a clerkship, give or take. Your odds aren't bad, especially if you have ties to another geographical area of the country (my southern ties no doubt helped me bag my clerkship). Of course, the process is a huge black box and comes down to having great grades, a clean application, and often times, knowing the right people (a clerk in a judge's chambers, the right professor, etc).

Hope this helps. Fire away with any other questions.
Are you saying that about 25% of the class gets a clerkship? My impression was that NYU ranked really low in clerkships, closer to 4%-5%. Unfortunately I don't know where to get accurate stats. Maybe the admissions office will give them to me if I ask.
It's good to know that so many people at NYU are interested in clerkships. The general reputation of NYU is that it's extremely business/biglaw focused. Is that not the case?
Are there specific professors that are willing and able to help with these issues or does everyone have to figure out on their own which professors to go after?

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:20 pm

rehsalt wrote:Are you saying that about 25% of the class gets a clerkship? My impression was that NYU ranked really low in clerkships, closer to 4%-5%. Unfortunately I don't know where to get accurate stats. Maybe the admissions office will give them to me if I ask.
It's good to know that so many people at NYU are interested in clerkships. The general reputation of NYU is that it's extremely business/biglaw focused. Is that not the case?
Are there specific professors that are willing and able to help with these issues or does everyone have to figure out on their own which professors to go after?
I think that also factors in alums who get clerkships (after a year working at a firm, or something). It's certainly not 120 members of the 2L class. But I didn't feel like being at NYU hindered me at all (indeed, in my interview with the D. Ct. judge I'm working for next year, he said he "loves" hiring NYU kids--and he's in Tennessee). Maybe you could get in touch with the Judicial Clerkship Office to get more statistics.

As for professors/recommendations, it's usually a very natural process. In my case, one of my recommendations was from my 1L torts professor (for whom I RA'd, and with whom I took another class/wrote my substantial writing paper), and another was from a professor I just naturally clicked with in a 2L fall class. It can be kind of an annoying/gunnery thing to kiss ass for recommendations, but NYU has a nice system whereby you "rank" professors you'd like to recommend you, and then you (hopefully) get your #1 and #2 choices. It helps to rank professors you worked for/have a relationship with, or at least ones who taught classes you rocked.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”