Southern Illinois University School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Steve2207

Bronze

Southern Illinois University School of Law

Post by Steve2207 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:44 pm

I am having a hard time finding any student reviews on this school. Anyone here have any experiences to share, or heard anything? I just got an acceptance call today with a scholarship offer, and I am hoping someone here can give me some insight on what life is like as a student there. Thanks.

Steve2207

Bronze

Re: Southern Illinois University School of Law

Post by Steve2207 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:54 am

No one here either? That’s depressing.

patentlybored

New

Post by patentlybored » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:31 am

Wut

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:35 am

what does "wut" mean?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:05 pm

Steve2207 wrote:what does "wut" mean?
Like "wat", it is a variation of "what".

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:10 pm

I imagine life as a student is pretty depressing when only half of your class gets a job

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:53 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:I imagine life as a student is pretty depressing when only half of your class gets a job
That could be said about almost every law school given the current economy

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:08 pm

Not really. At schools worth going to 70% and above are getting jobs. This place is a shithole

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Steve2207 wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:I imagine life as a student is pretty depressing when only half of your class gets a job
That could be said about almost every law school given the current economy
Don't listen to Ludo. Every school has pros and cons. If you could feasibly see yourself staying in the nearby SIU area, then go for it. If not, then don't pursue it. Low cost of living, probably-in-state status as a student. But if you don't want IL or smaller communities in the Midwest, don't go there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:23 pm

You're dedication to the alt is impressive but come on dude. 50/50 gamble to work in Carbondale or some godawful bumfuck Illinois town? That's messed up advice to give someone even if you are trying to suck me into falling for your troll again

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:28 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:You're dedication to the alt is impressive but come on dude. 50/50 gamble to work in Carbondale or some godawful bumfuck Illinois town? That's messed up advice to give someone even if you are trying to suck me into falling for your troll again
Why should that person take your advice when you would consider anything outside of Chicago/NYC/LA/etc acceptable?

Have you ever been in Chicago traffic? Metros are just not worth the hassle.
Last edited by BearsGrl on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:35 pm

Not sure who you are calling a troll, If it’s me I assure you I am being serious as hell. I prefer to live in a small community ( I have 2 children to relocate, and don’t want them growing up in a big city) and I have already done some networking in the small town I live in. With tuition and my GI Bill, I would be looking at 28k in debt after all three years (which is pretty reasonable in my opinion). My original post isn’t really asking whether or not I should go there, just if anyone had any experiences to share. I do appreciate all input, but the fact is I have no interest in working for a big firm, or living in a big city. I just want to minimize my debt and get a JD from a school with a decent reputation. Incidentally, my first pick is/was Indiana U, but I do not think it is very likely that I can get as good of a deal there as what is being offered at this school. Each individual has different preferences and needs, and for someone like me who only lives a couple hours away and has a decent scholarship offer, this school may be what is best for me.

BTW: I am still interested in hearing any experiences anyone may have with this school.

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:38 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:You're dedication to the alt is impressive but come on dude. 50/50 gamble to work in Carbondale or some godawful bumfuck Illinois town? That's messed up advice to give someone even if you are trying to suck me into falling for your troll again
Also, I am not sure if you are calling me an alt here, or the person who responded, but I assure you this is my ONLY account.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:39 pm

Steve2207 wrote:Not sure who you are calling a troll, If it’s me I assure you I am being serious as hell. I prefer to live in a small community ( I have 2 children to relocate, and don’t want them growing up in a big city) and I have already done some networking in the small town I live in. With tuition and my GI Bill, I would be looking at 28k in debt after all three years (which is pretty reasonable in my opinion). My original post isn’t really asking whether or not I should go there, just if anyone had any experiences to share. I do appreciate all input, but the fact is I have no interest in working for a big firm, or living in a big city. I just want to minimize my debt and get a JD from a school with a decent reputation. Incidentally, my first pick is/was Indiana U, but I do not think it is very likely that I can get as good of a deal there as what is being offered at this school. Each individual has different preferences and needs, and for someone like me who only lives a couple hours away and has a decent scholarship offer, this school may be what is best for me.

BTW: I am still interested in hearing any experiences anyone may have with this school.
Sorry I should have clarified, BearsGrl is a well known troll and genius alt

If you can go for free go for it I guess. I doubt anyone that goes there posts here though

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:52 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
Steve2207 wrote:Not sure who you are calling a troll, If it’s me I assure you I am being serious as hell. I prefer to live in a small community ( I have 2 children to relocate, and don’t want them growing up in a big city) and I have already done some networking in the small town I live in. With tuition and my GI Bill, I would be looking at 28k in debt after all three years (which is pretty reasonable in my opinion). My original post isn’t really asking whether or not I should go there, just if anyone had any experiences to share. I do appreciate all input, but the fact is I have no interest in working for a big firm, or living in a big city. I just want to minimize my debt and get a JD from a school with a decent reputation. Incidentally, my first pick is/was Indiana U, but I do not think it is very likely that I can get as good of a deal there as what is being offered at this school. Each individual has different preferences and needs, and for someone like me who only lives a couple hours away and has a decent scholarship offer, this school may be what is best for me.

If you can go for free go for it I guess. I doubt anyone that goes there posts here though
Ok, I understand, just wanted to clarify that. As I just mentioned they are not offering a free ride, but still a very generous tuition in my opinion. I am actually thinking of retaking the LSAT in February to try to get them to up the scholarship offer. ( I scored significantly lower than where my practice exams where due to a death in the family, and I am certain I could perform much better if I try again). Especially walking in knowing that I have already been accepted into a law school at a reasonable rate because I would have nothing to stress over.

FYI- I am still waiting on Indiana’s decision before I commit to anywhere.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:02 pm

Steve2207 wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:

Ok, I understand, just wanted to clarify that. As I just mentioned they are not offering a free ride, but still a very generous tuition in my opinion. I am actually thinking of retaking the LSAT in February to try to get them to up the scholarship offer. ( I scored significantly lower than where my practice exams where due to a death in the family, and I am certain I could perform much better if I try again). Especially walking in knowing that I have already been accepted into a law school at a reasonable rate because I would have nothing to stress over.

FYI- I am still waiting on Indiana’s decision before I commit to anywhere.
I am not an alt or a troll. TLSers just have problems with me when I am more blunt because too many on TLS think that Chicago/NY/DC/etc. are the only markets to work in and thus focus too much on them. Like you, I prefer a smaller community feel overall.

I have no personal thoughts on the school, but I would assume its reach is pretty limited, but solid enough for someone interested in a local legal environment. I can't comment on the direct student nature of it nor would I expect you to get too much feedback on it. I would think SIU folks would be scared to visit a site like this in general.

I went to UG at Indiana. HOOO HOOO HOOOSIERS! :D

Gorgeous campus.

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:00 am

Thanks for the input

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ashleec

New

Post by ashleec » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:46 pm

I will try to give you a bit of insight! Although I have not attended SIU's law school, I did attend SIUC for both my undergraduate and graduate degree programs. I am a southern Illinois native and have always lived in the area. I received my MBA in 2010 and am currently in the process of studying for the LSAT. I thought about enrolling in the concurrent JD/ MBA program at the time but decided against it.

Although I certainly had other options boasting more prestigious business schools, I decided to stay at SIU because I received a full tuition offer. I don't regret my decision at all. I will most likely apply for law school in 2014. I have thought long and hard about whether or not I should relocate. At this point, I have concluded that SIU will be my first choice assuming I receive a competitive scholarship offer. Based on the practice LSAT tests that I am taking, a full tuition scholarship seems within reach with the year or so that I have to study. Even though I could qualify to attend higher ranked schools, the idea of burying myself with student loan debt isn't an option for me right now.

I work within the business community and know many attorneys who graduated from SIUC. I have had discussions with many of them, and SIU seems to be a very well regarded school in the region. SIU is one of the few law schools in downstate Illinois. There are only two law schools in Illinois outside of the Chicago area-- University of Illinois (central Illinois) and SIUC. I also spent some time working in the St. Louis metro area, and SIU seems to be well regarded there too. Although, St. Louis University is a very popular choice.

Southern Illinois is a rural area, but I happen to love it! If you enjoy outdoor activities, you will love the area. The campus is located close to the Shawnee National Forest and several lakes where you can hike, canoe and just spend time relaxing. The campus is nice. There are a lot of projects going on including a new football stadium, renovated basketball arena and some other buildings being built/renovated. Campus has a lot of trees and a nice lake. I would always enjoy walking around the lake on my breaks from class.

Carbondale is one of the two main cities that makes up the Route 13 Corridor (the major highway running through the region). The other major city is Marion. As I mentioned, southern Illinois is rural and many people from the surrounding towns commute to either Carbondale or Marion for work. Much of the economic development in the region is happening in Marion at the Interstate 57/ Route 13 interchange which is about 20 miles from campus. Marion seems to be more of the "business community" where Carbondale seems to be more focused on the University. If you are interested, I would defiantly suggest you spend a few days to visit the area and see if it is a good fit for you!

I have talked with some of the faculty in the law school that I know . Everyone seems very nice and knowledgeable, but I cannot compare them to faculty at other schools since I have not visited any others.

Although I can't provide much insight about the law school itself, I hope some of the information may be helpful!

Also, if you don't mind me asking... would you be willing to share the details of your scholarship offer and your current LSAT score?

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:33 pm

ashleec wrote:I will try to give you a bit of insight! Although I have not attended SIU's law school, I did attend SIUC for both my undergraduate and graduate degree programs. I am a southern Illinois native and have always lived in the area. I received my MBA in 2010 and am currently in the process of studying for the LSAT. I thought about enrolling in the concurrent JD/ MBA program at the time but decided against it.

Although I certainly had other options boasting more prestigious business schools, I decided to stay at SIU because I received a full tuition offer. I don't regret my decision at all. I will most likely apply for law school in 2014. I have thought long and hard about whether or not I should relocate. At this point, I have concluded that SIU will be my first choice assuming I receive a competitive scholarship offer. Based on the practice LSAT tests that I am taking, a full tuition scholarship seems within reach with the year or so that I have to study. Even though I could qualify to attend higher ranked schools, the idea of burying myself with student loan debt isn't an option for me right now.

I work within the business community and know many attorneys who graduated from SIUC. I have had discussions with many of them, and SIU seems to be a very well regarded school in the region. SIU is one of the few law schools in downstate Illinois. There are only two law schools in Illinois outside of the Chicago area-- University of Illinois (central Illinois) and SIUC. I also spent some time working in the St. Louis metro area, and SIU seems to be well regarded there too. Although, St. Louis University is a very popular choice.

Southern Illinois is a rural area, but I happen to love it! If you enjoy outdoor activities, you will love the area. The campus is located close to the Shawnee National Forest and several lakes where you can hike, canoe and just spend time relaxing. The campus is nice. There are a lot of projects going on including a new football stadium, renovated basketball arena and some other buildings being built/renovated. Campus has a lot of trees and a nice lake. I would always enjoy walking around the lake on my breaks from class.

Carbondale is one of the two main cities that makes up the Route 13 Corridor (the major highway running through the region). The other major city is Marion. As I mentioned, southern Illinois is rural and many people from the surrounding towns commute to either Carbondale or Marion for work. Much of the economic development in the region is happening in Marion at the Interstate 57/ Route 13 interchange which is about 20 miles from campus. Marion seems to be more of the "business community" where Carbondale seems to be more focused on the University. If you are interested, I would defiantly suggest you spend a few days to visit the area and see if it is a good fit for you!

I have talked with some of the faculty in the law school that I know . Everyone seems very nice and knowledgeable, but I cannot compare them to faculty at other schools since I have not visited any others.

Although I can't provide much insight about the law school itself, I hope some of the information may be helpful!

Also, if you don't mind me asking... would you be willing to share the details of your scholarship offer and your current LSAT score?
Thanks for the info! I have sent you a PM with the scholarship details.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:55 pm

I considered SIU for a time because I know a number of graduates from there. However, they are all much older, and have been in practice for a while. I really don't know how they do employment wise, but if you have a full-ride and want to practice in southern/central illinois, I couldn't see it being a bad option if you feel the need to be a lawyer. Still, I would go to UIUC if i were you, especially since you have GI Bill, and the Illinois veterans grant or the guard tuition waiver will allow you to attend any state school for free.

When I applied, anything over a 161 got you a full ride to SIU. It's one of the few schools that have such concrete scholarship guidelines, so you know at least know what you are getting into. 155 gets you a certain amount, 157 gets you a bit more, a 159 a little bit more, and a 161 is full scholly. Tuition is less than 15k a year i think, but a 161 isn't too lofty, so try to get that if you really want SIU. However, I think you have to be in the top half of the class to keep your scholarship. Still, go to UIUC if you can swing it. I got into SIU, but I retook the LSAT, and was fortunate to be admitted into UIUC. I don't know if being a veteran helped me out, but it certainly doesn't hurt. Just make sure your LSAT is above their median, even though no one knows what that is right now. Just prep for the LSAT hard if that is the issue. Good luck!

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:04 pm

mattviphky wrote:I considered SIU for a time because I know a number of graduates from there. However, they are all much older, and have been in practice for a while. I really don't know how they do employment wise, but if you have a full-ride and want to practice in southern/central illinois, I couldn't see it being a bad option if you feel the need to be a lawyer. Still, I would go to UIUC if i were you, especially since you have GI Bill, and the Illinois veterans grant or the guard tuition waiver will allow you to attend any state school for free.

When I applied, anything over a 161 got you a full ride to SIU. It's one of the few schools that have such concrete scholarship guidelines, so you know at least know what you are getting into. 155 gets you a certain amount, 157 gets you a bit more, a 159 a little bit more, and a 161 is full scholly. Tuition is less than 15k a year i think, but a 161 isn't too lofty, so try to get that if you really want SIU. However, I think you have to be in the top half of the class to keep your scholarship. Still, go to UIUC if you can swing it. I got into SIU, but I retook the LSAT, and was fortunate to be admitted into UIUC. I don't know if being a veteran helped me out, but it certainly doesn't hurt. Just make sure your LSAT is above their median, even though no one knows what that is right now. Just prep for the LSAT hard if that is the issue. Good luck!
I actually already took the LSAT in Oct, and didn’t do that well. When I got my acceptance call from SIU the lady said they would up the scholarship if I can retake and do better. Nearly all of the scholarship offer was due to me being from a neighboring state (Indiana). I am really thinking of retaking the LSAT in Feb or June just to try for some more $$$. I wasn’t planning on sending out anymore applications, but I will do some investigating on UIUC. Thanks for the input.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:45 am

mattviphky wrote:However, I think you have to be in the top half of the class to keep your scholarship.
Thought I would include that the admissions officer I spoke with said I only need to maintain a 2.8 GPA in order to keep my scholarship. (The neighboring state scholarship had no stipulation of course, but all the neighboring state scholly does really is give me in state tuition). The small part of the tuition that requires the 2.8 may not be merit based, I haven’t got the information through the postal service, but I am willing to share the information with anyone interested when I find out.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:00 am

Steve2207 wrote:
mattviphky wrote:However, I think you have to be in the top half of the class to keep your scholarship.
Thought I would include that the admissions officer I spoke with said I only need to maintain a 2.8 GPA in order to keep my scholarship. (The neighboring state scholarship had no stipulation of course, but all the neighboring state scholly does really is give me in state tuition). The small part of the tuition that requires the 2.8 may not be merit based, I haven’t got the information through the postal service, but I am willing to share the information with anyone interested when I find out.
Check the curve. A 2.8 could be median or even higher. Negotiate and try to get the stip removed- top half is still risky.

Steve2207

Bronze

Post by Steve2207 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:28 pm

Only $1,500 of the offer stipulates I maintain the 2.8, the rest is a neighboring state scholarship, which basically just gives me in state tuition.

Sackcrete

New

Post by Sackcrete » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:42 pm

Rise... Rise from the grave my necro thread... RIIIIISE!

Hello everyone,

I actually have the exact same desires with a similar background as the above poster. I just finished my enlistment in the military and have hopes of returning to my home region in southern Illinois. I want to go to University of Illinois Law School as I have 2 children and my wife and I prefer a more rural/wooded lifestyle. My only issue is: the unknown. I have no idea what sort of law I want to practice as I have no experience in the field, but I do have burning desire to obtain my JD from a somewhat reputable school. I have always wanted to get into politics, or become a judge, but I also understand that's probably not the most likely of aspirations. What type of law would pay me money in a smaller-town environment? Also, OP, what school did you pick and how has your life worked out? Thank you all!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”