Vandy 2L Taking Question Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
timeandspace11

Silver

Re: Vandy 2L Taking Question

Post by timeandspace11 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:50 pm

I know this is hard to answer but how have employment prospects been for the most recent graduating class. Does it seem to be a bit better than the two previous years?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:29 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:I know this is hard to answer but how have employment prospects been for the most recent graduating class. Does it seem to be a bit better than the two previous years?
Class of 2012 was almost assuredly better than 2011. That's the trend everywhere. Vandy ought to have collected the 9 months after graduation stats by now; ask to see them.

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:37 pm

rad lulz wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:I know this is hard to answer but how have employment prospects been for the most recent graduating class. Does it seem to be a bit better than the two previous years?
Class of 2012 was almost assuredly better than 2011. That's the trend everywhere. Vandy ought to have collected the 9 months after graduation stats by now; ask to see them.

Thanks!! Should I just ask the admissions office?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:38 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Thanks!! Should I just ask the admissions office?
Call them, and if they don't give it to you, hound career services.

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:58 am

Do you know anybody from Vandy going to work in Florida, specifically South Florida? I see some students every year end up working in FL. WOuld you say it is very doable if you do well and have ties to the state?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:59 am

timeandspace11 wrote:Do you know anybody from Vandy going to work in Florida, specifically South Florida? I see some students every year end up working in FL. WOuld you say it is very doable if you do well and have ties to the state?
Define "doable."

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:06 am

rad lulz wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:Do you know anybody from Vandy going to work in Florida, specifically South Florida? I see some students every year end up working in FL. WOuld you say it is very doable if you do well and have ties to the state?
Define "doable."
Well lets say top third with strong ties. If you aggressively pushed for FL would there be opportunities.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:11 am

timeandspace11 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Define "doable."
Well lets say top third with strong ties. If you aggressively pushed for FL would there be opportunities.
If you were from Tampa or Orlando you could probably hit biglawl there; South FL is more iffy. I don't know a ton about. FL is like 3 regions (north, central, south), and it's harder to make get jobs in regions of FL you're not from.

Feel free to call some Vandy alums in South FL. Try not to rely on anyone who is class on 2010 or earlier though. They market was MUCH different for them.

letsdoit

Bronze

Post by letsdoit » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:03 am

rad lulz wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Define "doable."
If you were from Tampa or Orlando you could probably hit biglawl there; South FL is more iffy. I don't know a ton about. FL is like 3 regions (north, central, south), and it's harder to make get jobs in regions of FL you're not from.

Feel free to call some Vandy alums in South FL. Try not to rely on anyone who is class on 2010 or earlier though. They market was MUCH different for them.
I know people from Tampa and Miami (with rock solid ties to the respective areas) who got SAs there...these individuals probably ranked between top quarter and median. I also know someone with pretty weak ties to Miami who got several callbacks there...fairly good grades though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:01 pm

Is it possible to live in Nashville without a car?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri May 10, 2013 3:14 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sat May 11, 2013 3:47 pm

Incoming 1L looking at places to live. I'm in pretty late so from what I've gathered all the places within walking distance that are inexpensive enough to live without a roommate (I'll be married and I don't want to deal with that) are gone. My best options (from what I can tell) are a couple places in Bellevue. Anyone have experience living in the area? The OD said the places I'm looking at will be about a 30 minute drive from the law school. Anyone have experiences commuting that far? I've lived on campus for my UG so braving traffic every day will be a new experience.

Also, what is the parking situation at the law school like? Do I have to call and get a hangtag or anything like that? Is there a waiting list?

Dawkins

New

Post by Dawkins » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:14 am

Dylanlj13 wrote:Incoming 1L looking at places to live. I'm in pretty late so from what I've gathered all the places within walking distance that are inexpensive enough to live without a roommate (I'll be married and I don't want to deal with that) are gone. My best options (from what I can tell) are a couple places in Bellevue. Anyone have experience living in the area? The OD said the places I'm looking at will be about a 30 minute drive from the law school. Anyone have experiences commuting that far? I've lived on campus for my UG so braving traffic every day will be a new experience.

Also, what is the parking situation at the law school like? Do I have to call and get a hangtag or anything like that? Is there a waiting list?
I'd also like to know what it's like to park on campus. Is there a garage?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:36 am

Dawkins wrote:
Dylanlj13 wrote:Incoming 1L looking at places to live. I'm in pretty late so from what I've gathered all the places within walking distance that are inexpensive enough to live without a roommate (I'll be married and I don't want to deal with that) are gone. My best options (from what I can tell) are a couple places in Bellevue. Anyone have experience living in the area? The OD said the places I'm looking at will be about a 30 minute drive from the law school. Anyone have experiences commuting that far? I've lived on campus for my UG so braving traffic every day will be a new experience.

I didn't see a garage when I visited there.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:55 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:44 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Dylanlj13 wrote:
Dawkins wrote:

I didn't see a garage when I visited there.
There is a lot, but it fills up fast. There is also a garage behind the lot
How early do they usually fill up? Come to think of it, I actually have no idea what time classes usually start. What time can I expect my earliest 1L class to be?

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:52 am

Dylanlj13 wrote:
How early do they usually fill up? Come to think of it, I actually have no idea what time classes usually start. What time can I expect my earliest 1L class to be?
Between 8:05 and 8:25. Fall of 1L year I had Civ Pro at 8:05 Monday - Wednesday (Thursday/Friday I started at 10:50). You probably won't have ALL of your classes start at 8 am but it's a possibility.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:47 pm

Anyone have feelings on Fitzpatrick - Civ Pro, Cheng - Torts and/or Haw - Contracts?

Dawkins

New

Post by Dawkins » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:39 pm

Hi,

I'm hoping to hear someone's thoughts on any of the following professors: Ricks (Business Entities), Seymore (Patent Law), Slobogin (Crim Pro), Gervais (IP), Thomas (Corporations), and Bressman (Admin), Stranch (Civil Litigation).

Thanks!

julia3

New

Post by julia3 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:01 am

Anyone have a suggestion for a good supplement to Bressman's textbook? Interested in Vanderbilt students' advice, as I think Michigan used Vanderbilt's legreg as a model. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Thanks!

so ambivalent

New

Post by so ambivalent » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:07 pm

Mxpalmer wrote:For anyone..

Would you recommend supplements? If so any specifics?
Any idea how hard it is to land Chicago or BigGov? Top 20%?
Any London or other foreign offices at OCI?
Is a 1L SA position even worth looking for?
Any words of wisdom on first year profs?
supplements: the E&E's for civ pro and torts.
it's REALLY hard to land chicago. i know ppl who got dist clerkships that didn't land chicago even though they grew up there and still had family there (class 2013). it's also REALLY hard to land big gov. i'm trying to land it right now. i know of no one in recent years who landed big gov except for JAG folks (if that even counts as big gov).
freshfields interviewed the year before this year and the yr before that for intl offices. 2 from class of 2013 went to their frankfurt offices. other than that, no int'l openings at oci.
first year profs: sherry may have asbergers and hates most women but her exam is just like her practice ones. king may also have asbergers and can be really hot and cold, but her exam is straight-forward. sharfstein, cheng, vandenbergh, maroney, wuerth are the best. seymore is useless at torts but an incredibly sweet, friendly prof. i felt like stack was all over the place with reg state and i've heard rubin's exam is not really based on the book at all. i recommend taking con law I even if u get a choice to take an elective, but only if you take it with brandon or blumstein. ruhl is a sweeties but not great at teaching property. i feel like vbergh, ruhl, sharf, maroney and blummers are professors who will go to bat for you with recs/helping you find a job if they like you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

so ambivalent

New

Post by so ambivalent » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:09 pm

Dawkins wrote:Hi,

I'm hoping to hear someone's thoughts on any of the following professors: Ricks (Business Entities), Seymore (Patent Law), Slobogin (Crim Pro), Gervais (IP), Thomas (Corporations), and Bressman (Admin), Stranch (Civil Litigation).

Thanks!
Thomas is the best for corps, really really great

Slobo crim pro was my least fav class, it's all ppl talking about what they would argue an he makes you buy his stupid book which is all theory and no BLL and then the exam is all BLL.

so ambivalent

New

Post by so ambivalent » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:14 pm

rad lulz wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:Is it possible to live in Nashville without a car?
Yes but I HIGHLY recommend getting a car. It is very inconvenient.
totally disagree with this. if you live near school (most do) or within 1 mi it's easy to bike. also the bus is free and the ones that run on west end and 21st are pretty regular. the only time it might eb an issue is for grocery shopping, but it depends on how invested you are in cooking yourself or if you have a roomies and could do it with them/their car. for going out you're going to cab it anyways.
parking is super $$$$$ (like $200+ a year) and they ticket. so you can save alot by not driving to school.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:15 pm

Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZipWhenSheMoves

Bronze

Post by ZipWhenSheMoves » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:14 pm

so ambivalent wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:Is it possible to live in Nashville without a car?
Yes but I HIGHLY recommend getting a car. It is very inconvenient.
totally disagree with this. if you live near school (most do) or within 1 mi it's easy to bike. also the bus is free and the ones that run on west end and 21st are pretty regular. the only time it might eb an issue is for grocery shopping, but it depends on how invested you are in cooking yourself or if you have a roomies and could do it with them/their car. for going out you're going to cab it anyways.
parking is super $$$$$ (like $200+ a year) and they ticket. so you can save alot by not driving to school.

The bus is free?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”