Vandy 2L Taking Question Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NickP76

New

Re: Vandy 2L Taking Question

Post by NickP76 » Thu May 28, 2015 4:54 pm

Currently I am about to be a Senior at a top 50 Business school majoring in Finance. I have a 3.66 GPA and am taking the June 8 LSAT. I scored a 155 on my last Diag but am confident Ill hit/break 160 come test time. I have a leadership position in my school, and currently am working my second internship with the State Department. Do I stand a chance?

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Thu May 28, 2015 5:33 pm

NickP76 wrote:Currently I am about to be a Senior at a top 50 Business school majoring in Finance. I have a 3.66 GPA and am taking the June 8 LSAT. I scored a 155 on my last Diag but am confident Ill hit/break 160 come test time. I have a leadership position in my school, and currently am working my second internship with the State Department. Do I stand a chance?
You do if you hit the mid 160s on your next LSAT

fa1493

New

Post by fa1493 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:34 am

Which times are generally the worst for traffic, and are there any highways in particular that are especially bad? How are I65 and Hwy 31?

BearLaw

Bronze

Post by BearLaw » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:21 am

arklaw13 wrote:
NickP76 wrote:Currently I am about to be a Senior at a top 50 Business school majoring in Finance. I have a 3.66 GPA and am taking the June 8 LSAT. I scored a 155 on my last Diag but am confident Ill hit/break 160 come test time. I have a leadership position in my school, and currently am working my second internship with the State Department. Do I stand a chance?
You do if you hit the mid 160s on your next LSAT
Id say at least a 166-67 to have a good shot. I think 167 has been median the last couple years, and Vandy seems to weigh the LSAT more than GPA. Still, with a GPA that will likely be below the median, you probably need a 166+ LSAT to have a good shot. Vandy wait-lists a lot of people, and those numbers should get you at least that.

BearLaw

Bronze

Post by BearLaw » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:25 am

fa1493 wrote:Which times are generally the worst for traffic, and are there any highways in particular that are especially bad? How are I65 and Hwy 31?
It is a pretty predictable rush hour peak pattern in Nashville. Everything slows way down from about 6:30-8:30 in the morning and from 4-about 5:30-6 at night. If you can get out of school before 3:30 traffic is rarely a problem, or after 6 it never seems that bad. I-65 isnt too bad, neither is 40 west once you get past the 65/24 split on the north side of DT. West End and Broadway can both be huge PITAs, especially if there is an event or concert near by. This is all tempered somewhat by the fact that Nashville really isnt that large, so even in "bad" traffic, it never seems to take more than 20-30 minutes to get places. YMMV

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fa1493

New

Post by fa1493 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:27 am

BearLaw wrote:
fa1493 wrote:Which times are generally the worst for traffic, and are there any highways in particular that are especially bad? How are I65 and Hwy 31?
It is a pretty predictable rush hour peak pattern in Nashville. Everything slows way down from about 6:30-8:30 in the morning and from 4-about 5:30-6 at night. If you can get out of school before 3:30 traffic is rarely a problem, or after 6 it never seems that bad. I-65 isnt too bad, neither is 40 west once you get past the 65/24 split on the north side of DT. West End and Broadway can both be huge PITAs, especially if there is an event or concert near by. This is all tempered somewhat by the fact that Nashville really isnt that large, so even in "bad" traffic, it never seems to take more than 20-30 minutes to get places. YMMV

Thanks for the info. On another note, do you need to purchase a parking pass to park in that lot right outside the law school? If not, can you get by without purchasing a parking pass?

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:30 am

fa1493 wrote:
BearLaw wrote:

Thanks for the info. On another note, do you need to purchase a parking pass to park in that lot right outside the law school? If not, can you get by without purchasing a parking pass?
You'll need a zone 6 pass to park there. It's ~450 a year I think. You could also just use the meters depending on how much time you spend on campus, but I prefer less hassle.

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:55 pm

I've decided to attend Vandy in the fall.

How many 1L professors post practice tests and model answers?

BearLaw

Bronze

Post by BearLaw » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:32 pm

adil91 wrote:I've decided to attend Vandy in the fall.

As far as I know, everyone makes old/practice exams available. Most have a model available as well. I think at least two (George and Bressman) but maybe all of the Contracts professors give a mini mock midterm around the end of October that they go over in class. That was nice when I was a 1L, as it was a chance to use the exam 4 program before the big day as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:46 am

BearLaw wrote:

As far as I know, everyone makes old/practice exams available. Most have a model available as well. I think at least two (George and Bressman) but maybe all of the Contracts professors give a mini mock midterm around the end of October that they go over in class. That was nice when I was a 1L, as it was a chance to use the exam 4 program before the big day as well.
This is right. All my professors have given us old exams, and 3/4 or more have given model answers of some sort.

rahulg91

Bronze

Post by rahulg91 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:00 am

NY Job Fair. Flame or nah? Non-Dean's-List, above median.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:34 am

rahulg91 wrote:NY Job Fair. Flame or nah? Non-Dean's-List, above median.
I would absolutely do it. NY firms are the least responsive to mass-mailing, and there are usually quite a few firms that do the job fairs that don't come to OCI. I know of several people who got offers from non-OCI firms at the job fairs. Plus, they're all pre-select. So you know that the firm is at least somewhat interested in you (as in you meet it's grade cutoff at a minimum).

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:53 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
BearLaw wrote:

This is right. All my professors have given us old exams, and 3/4 or more have given model answers of some sort.

Had one prof that didn't offer old exams at all. But otherwise, yeah, most every prof offers them

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:54 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
I would absolutely do it. NY firms are the least responsive to mass-mailing, and there are usually quite a few firms that do the job fairs that don't come to OCI. I know of several people who got offers from non-OCI firms at the job fairs. Plus, they're all pre-select. So you know that the firm is at least somewhat interested in you (as in you meet it's grade cutoff at a minimum).
any sense of how ppl at the DC job fair fared in the last few years?

rahulg91

Bronze

Post by rahulg91 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:22 am

jk148706 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:
BearLaw wrote:

Had one prof that didn't offer old exams at all. But otherwise, yeah, most every prof offers them
Last edited by rahulg91 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:52 am

jk148706 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:
I know Covington hired one person out of the DC fair for this summer. W&C will interview people as well, although it's really just easier to mail in to them. I don't know which firms are at the DC job fair this year, so best bet is to look at the recruitment handbooks for the past two or three years and see if the firm has taken people. They just updated them, so you can see where all the rising 3Ls are working. The majority of the DC firms that people are at this summer came to OCI, but they might have also done the DC job fair too. I don't know.

edit: I found the list of DC job fair firms from last year:

Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft
Cleary Gottlieb
Covington & Burling
Drinker Biddle & Reath
Venable
Wiley Rein
Williams & Connolly
WilmerHale

I know Covington did not come to OCI but did take one person from the job fair. I don't remember if Venable came to OCI as well as the job fair, but they did take one person. W&C took one person, but I don't know if she did the job fair or just wrote in. Wilmer hasn't taken anyone in the past few years. Last one that comes to mind is the c/o 2013 EIC. I don't know about the other four.

Are there any more firms that are coming to the job fair that weren't there last year? There's a small chance I can tell you more than the recruitment handbook.

BearLaw

Bronze

Post by BearLaw » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:44 am

rahulg91 wrote:
jk148706 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:
BearLaw wrote:

LOL Ganesh.
Ganesh is the man. His graduation address was epic.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:51 am

arklaw13 wrote:
jk148706 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:
I know Covington hired one person out of the DC fair for this summer. W&C will interview people as well, although it's really just easier to mail in to them. I don't know which firms are at the DC job fair this year, so best bet is to look at the recruitment handbooks for the past two or three years and see if the firm has taken people. They just updated them, so you can see where all the rising 3Ls are working. The majority of the DC firms that people are at this summer came to OCI, but they might have also done the DC job fair too. I don't know.

Cleary Gottlieb
Covington & Burling
Drinker Biddle & Reath
Venable
Wiley Rein
Williams & Connolly
WilmerHale

I know Covington did not come to OCI but did take one person from the job fair. I don't remember if Venable came to OCI as well as the job fair, but they did take one person. W&C took one person, but I don't know if she did the job fair or just wrote in. Wilmer hasn't taken anyone in the past few years. Last one that comes to mind is the c/o 2013 EIC. I don't know about the other four.

Are there any more firms that are coming to the job fair that weren't there last year? There's a small chance I can tell you more than the recruitment handbook.
Other firms participating this year :

Akin Gump
Arent Fox
Cooley
Debevoise
Gibson Dunn
Mayer Brown
Pillsbury Winthrop

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:55 am

jk148706 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:
jk148706 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:

Cleary Gottlieb
Covington & Burling
Drinker Biddle & Reath
Venable
Wiley Rein
Williams & Connolly
WilmerHale

Other firms participating this year :

Akin Gump
Arent Fox
Cooley
Debevoise
Gibson Dunn
Mayer Brown
Pillsbury Winthrop
Arent Fox is pretty good about taking people. They seem to like people with local connections, given who they've offered in the past couple of years. The two I know of who have had offers there either went to college or grew up in the DC area. Dunno if that's a requirement, though. Debevoise took one this year, but that office only has 2 summers and does a ton of securities work. If that interests you, it could be a good fit. Gibson has taken one in the past few years, a c/o 2014 person maybe. MB took in the Chicago office, but I have no idea how that translates to the DC office. Dunno about the others.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:12 pm

Last edited by jk148706 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:30 pm

Yeah it's right around 3.4.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:42 am

1) How and when are the law school bar revue events? Do they have free alcohol?

2) Speaking of free stuff, how often does the law school have free food and alcohol available throughout the week?

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:43 am

adil91 wrote:1) How and when are the law school bar revue events? Do they have free alcohol?

2) Speaking of free stuff, how often does the law school have free food and alcohol available throughout the week?
1. Bar reviews on thursday nights are really people going to a specific bar in a group. They'll generally have decent specials, but no free booze.

2. There's generally a lunch event every day. Sometimes it's even not pizza. Blackacre happens every Friday, and there are bottles of wine and kegs of beer then.

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:22 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
adil91 wrote:1) How and when are the law school bar revue events? Do they have free alcohol?

1. Bar reviews on thursday nights are really people going to a specific bar in a group. They'll generally have decent specials, but no free booze.

2. There's generally a lunch event every day. Sometimes it's even not pizza. Blackacre happens every Friday, and there are bottles of wine and kegs of beer then.
How much of law review is grades vs write on competition?

Is it easy to get a secondary journal?

Thanks for answering my questions btw

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:43 pm

adil91 wrote:
How much of law review is grades vs write on competition?
32 total spots - 16 go to the 16 highest GPA's, then 16 go to the top write-on scores. If a person both grades on and writes on, they would be counted as a grade-on, and the 17th best write-on score would then be taken, and so on. Even if you grade-on, you still have to compete in the competition and put in a good-faith effort.
adil91 wrote:Is it easy to get a secondary journal?
In addition to the 32 law review spots, there are 32 for each of the other two journals, and a handful for ELPAR. So 96 journal spots for a class of 175ish means that over half the class will be on a journal. So your chances are pretty good, statistically speaking.
adil91 wrote:Thanks for answering my questions btw
No problem. Happy to help.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”