Vandy 2L Taking Question Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
adil91

Silver

Re: Vandy 2L Taking Question

Post by adil91 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:46 am

Did anybody opt out of the universities healthcare plan? What type of health insurance is eligible? I can't seem to understand the prereqs Gallagher insurance req for waiving?

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:34 am

adil91 wrote:Did anybody opt out of the universities healthcare plan? What type of health insurance is eligible? I can't seem to understand the prereqs Gallagher insurance req for waiving?
I have every year so far. I don't really know what the requirements are. Just send it in and they'll probably approve it. They only gave me trouble at one point because they couldn't find my carrier, but I just sent them a copy of my insurance card and they approved it the next day.

BearLaw

Bronze

Post by BearLaw » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:17 am

adil91 wrote:Did anybody opt out of the universities healthcare plan? What type of health insurance is eligible? I can't seem to understand the prereqs Gallagher insurance req for waiving?
I opted out all three years. I had (still do until work starts) a high deductible plan with dental that costs less than half of the price of the university plan. Never had a problem waiving the university coverage. Kept the money I saved aside in a savings account in case I had a major accident so I could pay the deductible.

Also, idk if anyone told you, but the campus student health center is totally free for all students. Visits and some basic tests are covered 100%. You only have to pay for prescriptions and major tests/procedures (the CVS across the street is much cheaper for prescriptions than the Vandy pharmacy and they will call it in as you leave the office.) In three years, I spent about $15 total on healthcare because I had to pay for two prescriptions. Its not a bad set up.

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:42 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
I have every year so far. I don't really know what the requirements are. Just send it in and they'll probably approve it. They only gave me trouble at one point because they couldn't find my carrier, but I just sent them a copy of my insurance card and they approved it the next day.
I sent them it and they rejected it. I'm shopping around for healthcare that would let me waive the Vandy plan

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:24 pm

adil91 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:
I sent them it and they rejected it. I'm shopping around for healthcare that would let me waive the Vandy plan
What was their specific reason for objecting? You can also appeal it. Keep in mind that the determination is made at the first level by the private company that provides the Vandy healthcare plan, so there is a certain element of self-interest in them rejecting it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:26 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
adil91 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:
What was their specific reason for objecting? You can also appeal it. Keep in mind that the determination is made at the first level by the private company that provides the Vandy healthcare plan, so there is a certain element of self-interest in them rejecting it.

My healthcare company only provides emergency healthcare service in the state of Tennessee

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:37 pm

adil91 wrote: My healthcare company only provides emergency healthcare service in the state of Tennessee
Ah.

fa1493

New

Post by fa1493 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:03 pm

whats the cheapest internet service that allows for decent reliability ?

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:03 pm

fa1493 wrote:whats the cheapest internet service that allows for decent reliability ?
Dunno about cheapest. I use U-verse, but only because my apartment complex requires it. It's good, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fa1493

New

Post by fa1493 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:35 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
fa1493 wrote:whats the cheapest internet service that allows for decent reliability ?
Dunno about cheapest. I use U-verse, but only because my apartment complex requires it. It's good, though.
I was looking into that one....do you know which plan you have (with regard to the download speed)?

ETA: Thank you for answering all these questions! Another throw in...how much does electric generally cost? Im going to be living in a 520sqft 1BR and wondering what to expect with moderate use.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:45 am

fa1493 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:
I was looking into that one....do you know which plan you have (with regard to the download speed)?

ETA: Thank you for answering all these questions! Another throw in...how much does electric generally cost? Im going to be living in a 520sqft 1BR and wondering what to expect with moderate use.
I have no idea what plan it is. U3 sounds familiar, but don't quote me. Speedtest has me running between 15-25 most of the time I think.

My electric runs ~$70 for a 1BR 750sqft. In the winter it can get pretty high, though.

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:42 am

When do we get our class schedule?

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:16 am

adil91 wrote:When do we get our class schedule?
I don't remember. The class schedules are set, they just haven't put people in sections yet. Probably after most of the WL movement is done.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:16 am

How easy/tough is it to get a federal judicial internship in Nashville over your 1L summer?

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:22 pm

adil91 wrote:How easy/tough is it to get a federal judicial internship in Nashville over your 1L summer?
There aren't that many Nashville district judges, actually. Sharp hired 2 from c/o 2017. Knowles (Magistrate judge) hired 2 as well. Nixon will sometimes hire summer interns, but also takes a lot of fall/spring interns.

The USAO for Middle District of TN also hires several, if you're interested in that.

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:29 pm

Section assignments are out

I've got

Cheng for Torts

George for Contracts

Fitzpatrick for Civ Pro

Booth and Hamilton for Legal Writing

Thoughts/Comments?

GreenJay

New

Post by GreenJay » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:33 pm

adil91 wrote:Section assignments are out

I've got

Cheng for Torts

George for Contracts

Fitzpatrick for Civ Pro

Thoughts/Comments?
I had Cheng for Torts and he is fantastic. Read this around the end of the semester http://www.amazon.com/Forms-Functions-T ... s+concepts. Also feel free to PM if you want an outline.

I have heard nothing but great things about George as a teacher.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:39 pm

GreenJay wrote:

I've got

Cheng for Torts

George for Contracts

Fitzpatrick for Civ Pro

Thoughts/Comments?
I had Cheng for Torts and he is fantastic. Read this around the end of the semester http://www.amazon.com/Forms-Functions-T ... s+concepts. Also feel free to PM if you want an outline.

I have heard nothing but great things about George as a teacher.
Yeah that book is actually required reading!

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:06 pm

I've got

Cheng for Torts

George for Contracts

Fitzpatrick for Civ Pro

Thoughts/Comments?
Cheng is great. Doesn't really cold call much. When he does he just goes down the aisle. Everyone loves George. Fitzpatrick will terrorize you but is actually a really nice person. But when you get cold called you're on for 20-30 minutes sometimes, so make sure to come prepared, or come prepared to be reamed out if you didn't read very well.

Dunno about the legal writing profs.

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:16 pm

arklaw13 wrote:

I've got

Cheng for Torts

George for Contracts

Fitzpatrick for Civ Pro

Thoughts/Comments?
Cheng is great. Doesn't really cold call much. When he does he just goes down the aisle. Everyone loves George. Fitzpatrick will terrorize you but is actually a really nice person. But when you get cold called you're on for 20-30 minutes sometimes, so make sure to come prepared, or come prepared to be reamed out if you didn't read very well.

Thanks! Any advice on supplements?

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:30 pm

adil91 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:

I've got

Cheng for Torts

George for Contracts

Fitzpatrick for Civ Pro

Thoughts/Comments?

Glannons for CivPro is a lifesaver, but that's the only supp I ever used.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GreenJay

New

Post by GreenJay » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:42 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
adil91 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:

I've got

Cheng for Torts

George for Contracts

Fitzpatrick for Civ Pro

Thoughts/Comments?

Richard Freer on barbri is also amazing. He is such a character... my friends and I still quote him. Well worth 50 dollars just for the entertainment value.

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:45 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
adil91 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:

I've got

Cheng for Torts

George for Contracts

Fitzpatrick for Civ Pro

Thoughts/Comments?

Does it matter which edition?

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:50 pm

adil91 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:
adil91 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote: Cheng is great. Doesn't really cold call much. When he does he just goes down the aisle. Everyone loves George. Fitzpatrick will terrorize you but is actually a really nice person. But when you get cold called you're on for 20-30 minutes sometimes, so make sure to come prepared, or come prepared to be reamed out if you didn't read very well.

Does it matter which edition?
Probably not unless there's been some big recent change, but you can get the newest addition really cheap online usually. Or buy it off a 2L.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:59 pm

Richard Freer lectures are incredibly good.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”