Vandy 2L Taking Question Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
arklaw13

Gold

Re: Vandy 2L Taking Question

Post by arklaw13 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:14 am

AT9 wrote: Would you recommend paying more for an apartment near campus and walking/biking in, or paying less but living in the burbs and driving 15-25 mins in?
I live out in the suburbs. I don't mind the drive because Nashville traffic isn't terrible, generally speaking. Paying for parking is a real bitch though. About $450/year. My rent is about what it costs to live near campus with a roommate, except I don't have a roommate and I have a nice-sized apartment in a safe area. If you're into the bar/social scene, I wouldn't recommend it because hardly any 1Ls live out here, making ride-sharing difficult, and you'd be left with taking cabs to and from downtown.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:02 pm

JustHawkin wrote:
rad lulz wrote: Whether you want to live in the burbs is a personal decisoon

The benefits and detriments are what you'd expect
It may be a bit premature, but just curious:

From Obiter Dictum, it looks like Americana Apartments is a pretty decent place to live. Can anyone speak on this?
Hah. I may or may not be touring there on my visit.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:00 pm

The apartment complex?
Last edited by JustHawkin on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:24 pm

Right. Looks like you can see the law school from the building. And it's pretty cheap. And it has a pool on the roof. So yeah. (Don't quote this, please) :)

Beercules

Bronze

Post by Beercules » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:20 pm

Do any law students live further downtown? Any benefits to that?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:51 pm

rad lulz wrote: Yeah I'd do about $100k for Vandy

Biglaw in atl is hard to land from Vanderbilt (and other schools too to be fair)

Atl big firms want really really good grades

Whether you want to live in the burbs is a personal decisoon

arklaw13 wrote:
I live out in the suburbs. I don't mind the drive because Nashville traffic isn't terrible, generally speaking. Paying for parking is a real bitch though. About $450/year. My rent is about what it costs to live near campus with a roommate, except I don't have a roommate and I have a nice-sized apartment in a safe area. If you're into the bar/social scene, I wouldn't recommend it because hardly any 1Ls live out here, making ride-sharing difficult, and you'd be left with taking cabs to and from downtown.
My preference is to live in the city, by far. But it seems like you can't find any place near campus for less than about $950/month. But, with parking costs, extra gas and car costs, etc., perhaps the difference isn't that bad in the end. I'm married so splitting an apartment wouldn't work all that well.

Edit: It looks like top 30/40% do really well, but what do prospects look like for people more around or below median?
Last edited by AT9 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:55 pm

AT9 wrote:
rad lulz wrote: Yeah I'd do about $100k for Vandy

Biglaw in atl is hard to land from Vanderbilt (and other schools too to be fair)

Atl big firms want really really good grades

Whether you want to live in the burbs is a personal decisoon

arklaw13 wrote:
My preference is to live in the city, by far. But it seems like you can't find any place near campus for less than about $950/month. But, with parking costs, extra gas and car costs, etc., perhaps the difference isn't that bad in the end. I'm married so splitting an apartment wouldn't work all that well.
Also married. Pm me and I can answer any specific questions about the area I live in.

Dawkins

New

Post by Dawkins » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:16 am

AT9 wrote: Edit: It looks like top 30/40% do really well, but what do prospects look like for people more around or below median?
I think more than the top 30/40% do well at Vandy. I know people with mediocre grades who've ended up with clerkships and great jobs. You have to know how to network and hustle, which makes up for a lot.

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:19 am

AT9 wrote: My preference is to live in the city, by far. But it seems like you can't find any place near campus for less than about $950/month. But, with parking costs, extra gas and car costs, etc., perhaps the difference isn't that bad in the end. I'm married so splitting an apartment wouldn't work all that well.
Parking is around $450 for the entire academic year, which is about $50/month. You can save a lot by moving even ten minutes away from campus. Plus, the area around the law school is incredibly inconvenient for things other than the law school (and Chipotle and some bars.) It's definitely not an urban lifestyle when you have to drive 15 minutes to get to a grocery store. You won't be saving on car costs because you're still going to want a car.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

so ambivalent

New

Post by so ambivalent » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:13 am

americana is good for socializing, but if you wanna get out of law school and midtown bubble (and, i mean, who wouldn't) you can still live within commutable distance without a car. if you go further up 21st towards hillsboro/green hills you can be within walking distance of harris teeter, trader joe's etc and take bus or bike (I do it and know others who have). also there's the village at vanderbilt and some of the apts that are closer to the med center. then there's alot stuff off west end which has a bus and is bike commutable if you go on side streets, as well as older apt buildings near belmont which has good bike and bus access (for nashville) and proximity to a harris teeter. for example, there's actually an apartment opening up in my building in the next month ($950 for a small 2bdrm, the 2nd bdrm could maybe fit a twin and is more of a study). i feel like those types of arrangements are better for older students or ones with SOs. i think the apts near school are hideous and they are really over priced for the space and location (because they are just near law school and the fratty midtown bars). you can also consider houses in all the areas i just mentioned. if you don't mind roomies, those are often cheaper and it's so nice to have a yard when you want to grill out or have a party.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:33 am

so ambivalent wrote:americana is good for socializing, but if you wanna get out of law school and midtown bubble (and, i mean, who wouldn't) you can still live within commutable distance without a car. if you go further up 21st towards hillsboro/green hills you can be within walking distance of harris teeter, trader joe's etc and take bus or bike (I do it and know others who have). also there's the village at vanderbilt and some of the apts that are closer to the med center. then there's alot stuff off west end which has a bus and is bike commutable if you go on side streets, as well as older apt buildings near belmont which has good bike and bus access (for nashville) and proximity to a harris teeter. for example, there's actually an apartment opening up in my building in the next month ($950 for a small 2bdrm, the 2nd bdrm could maybe fit a twin and is more of a study). i feel like those types of arrangements are better for older students or ones with SOs. i think the apts near school are hideous and they are really over priced for the space and location (because they are just near law school and the fratty midtown bars). you can also consider houses in all the areas i just mentioned. if you don't mind roomies, those are often cheaper and it's so nice to have a yard when you want to grill out or have a party.
This is great info! Thanks!

RU5H

New

Post by RU5H » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:15 pm

any current students use the 1L roommate finder through the school and have it work out well? Prices near campus are crazy compared to what I'm used to, but as I will be attempting to go without a car for 1L, being close enough to bike is currently my top priority. I used a similar program for my first year of ug and me and my roommate were two very different people, save the fact that we didnt smoke cigs. Dont want to chance getting stuck with a bad fit again, but dont wanna pay the prices im seeing for a 1br...

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:16 pm

RU5H wrote:any current students use the 1L roommate finder through the school and have it work out well? Prices near campus are crazy compared to what I'm used to, but as I will be attempting to go without a car for 1L, being close enough to bike is currently my top priority. I used a similar program for my first year of ug and me and my roommate were two very different people, save the fact that we didnt smoke cigs. Dont want to chance getting stuck with a bad fit again, but dont wanna pay the prices im seeing for a 1br...
I'd recommend against going without a car, even if you living close enough to walk/bike. Nashville doesn't have great public transportation.

No idea about roommate finder.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wlee1220

Bronze

Post by wlee1220 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:10 pm

If I do the math with the COA Vandy gives, and after I factor in tuition increases and my scholarship, my total COA for three years would be about 150K with interest. Vandy seems like my best option at the moment, but that price tag scares the hell out of me. I'm URM, have (what I think at least) are pretty solid ties to Atlanta, and really want to return to Atlanta or the South after graduating. I'm still waiting on Duke for their decision, but do you guys think 150K is too high for Vandy? My only other plausible options at this point are to wait out UVA/Penn's Waitlists or Rutgers-C @ 70K (I can probably get this down to 50K if I moved back in at home and commuted). I would rather be in Atlanta or the south long term than Philly, but I keep thinking about that impending debt if I don't get a job after graduation.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:13 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

wlee1220

Bronze

Post by wlee1220 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:29 pm

rad lulz wrote:
wlee1220 wrote:If I do the math with the COA Vandy gives, and after I factor in tuition increases and my scholarship, my total COA for three years would be about 150K with interest. Vandy seems like my best option at the moment, but that price tag scares the hell out of me. I'm URM, have (what I think at least) are pretty solid ties to Atlanta, and really want to return to Atlanta or the South after graduating. I'm still waiting on Duke for their decision, but do you guys think 150K is too high for Vandy? My only other plausible options at this point are to wait out UVA/Penn's Waitlists or Rutgers-C @ 70K (I can probably get this down to 50K if I moved back in at home and commuted). I would rather be in Atlanta or the south long term than Philly, but I keep thinking about that impending debt if I don't get a job after graduation.
Too much

W that debt you're gonna need biglaw

Biglaw is unlikely, and atl biglaw is obsessed w grades

Advice may be different if you're black

I'm black...I would sit out and retake, but I'm all out of retakes. I would work my current job, but I don't think I can take my boss for another couple years (and there's this huge funding problem that may not make my job sustainable anyway). I've been applying to different jobs anyway, so we will see how that works out.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:14 pm

wlee1220 wrote:If I do the math with the COA Vandy gives, and after I factor in tuition increases and my scholarship, my total COA for three years would be about 150K with interest. Vandy seems like my best option at the moment, but that price tag scares the hell out of me. I'm URM, have (what I think at least) are pretty solid ties to Atlanta, and really want to return to Atlanta or the South after graduating. I'm still waiting on Duke for their decision, but do you guys think 150K is too high for Vandy? My only other plausible options at this point are to wait out UVA/Penn's Waitlists or Rutgers-C @ 70K (I can probably get this down to 50K if I moved back in at home and commuted). I would rather be in Atlanta or the south long term than Philly, but I keep thinking about that impending debt if I don't get a job after graduation.
Vandy 1L here. $150k is right on the borderline of what I would say is ok to pay. Depends on your W/E and undergrad. Decent work experience from a good undergrad plus URM boost and $150k might be worth it. Shitty W/E from a shitty undergrad, maybe not.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:26 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

unct10

New

Post by unct10 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:16 pm

what kind of grades from Vandy do you think are necessary to be in contention for biglaw/the other best firms in Nashville? I have good ties there, but just wanted to see how different grade tiers corresponded to job prospects in Nashville coming from Vandy.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:19 pm

unct10 wrote:what kind of grades from Vandy do you think are necessary to be in contention for biglaw/the other best firms in Nashville? I have good ties there, but just wanted to see how different grade tiers corresponded to job prospects in Nashville coming from Vandy.
Nashville firms are as grade-snobby as it gets. You need law review and top 20% grades to have what I would say is a good shot. It's a bloodbath.

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Sat May 16, 2015 2:21 pm

How much is Vandy worth in terms of COA? What's the likelihood of obtaining Big Law at the median? How much did you guys pay for Vandy. I'm basically deciding between Vandy at 110k versus Emory for free or nearly free,if you were in my position which would you choose?(I live in GA, though I would like Big law, I don't absolutely need to get it)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BearLaw

Bronze

Post by BearLaw » Sat May 16, 2015 4:53 pm

adil91 wrote:How much is Vandy worth in terms of COA? What's the likelihood of obtaining Big Law at the median? How much did you guys pay for Vandy. I'm basically deciding between Vandy at 110k versus Emory for free or nearly free,if you were in my position which would you choose?(I live in GA, though I would like Big law, I don't absolutely need to get it)
110K is right on the high end of what I would consider reasonable for Vandy. I usually tell people the cut off is around 100K, but plenty of people exceed that, even with scholarships.

Median gives you a shot at biglaw, not a slam dunk, but you will get interviews at least. Top 30% is pretty safe, and things like journal and moot court obviously give some bump.

Nashville can be cheap if you try, I lived 1L year on less than 15K, because I was a miser and didnt spend much when I went out. My COL increased because I got married, but even then, you can still have fun in Nashville without a ton of money. Or you can go nuts, and blow thousands of dollars on food and drinks each semester, its a dangerous place like that.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Mon May 18, 2015 4:38 pm

adil91 wrote:How much is Vandy worth in terms of COA? What's the likelihood of obtaining Big Law at the median? How much did you guys pay for Vandy. I'm basically deciding between Vandy at 110k versus Emory for free or nearly free,if you were in my position which would you choose?(I live in GA, though I would like Big law, I don't absolutely need to get it)
How free is "nearly free"?

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:01 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
At most I'll take out 20-30k

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Mon May 18, 2015 11:10 pm

adil91 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:
At most I'll take out 20-30k
If you want to stay in GA, I'd go to Emory.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”