Vandy 2L Taking Question Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jumbocolumbo

Bronze

Re: Vandy 2L Taking Question

Post by jumbocolumbo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:39 pm

What kind of jobs are people getting at median? I scrolled through this thread and don't think I saw an answer to this Q, but I may have missed something.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:21 pm

jumbocolumbo wrote:What kind of jobs are people getting at median? I scrolled through this thread and don't think I saw an answer to this Q, but I may have missed something.
It's really hard to say. We just don't have as many data points as a lot of the T14 schools. I can give you some pretty specific employment data for 2Ls from this summer if you're interested.

herzog197

New

Post by herzog197 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Do you recommend any specific supplemental course material for 1Ls? I have seen several flash card sets and other materials available (e.g. Glannon E&E & Multiple Choice Guide) and wanted to see if there was any benefit

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:48 pm

herzog197 wrote:Do you recommend any specific supplemental course material for 1Ls? I have seen several flash card sets and other materials available (e.g. Glannon E&E & Multiple Choice Guide) and wanted to see if there was any benefit
The only thing I used was Glannon for civpro. I'm sure there are other useful ones, though.

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:26 pm

Do you guys have any 1L books for sale?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:27 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
jumbocolumbo wrote:What kind of jobs are people getting at median? I scrolled through this thread and don't think I saw an answer to this Q, but I may have missed something.
It's really hard to say. We just don't have as many data points as a lot of the T14 schools. I can give you some pretty specific employment data for 2Ls from this summer if you're interested.
I'm interested! I'm considering Vandy and just want to know what happens to people who end up going to Vandy and then not performing well on their 1L finals.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:36 am

hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:
I'm interested! I'm considering Vandy and just want to know what happens to people who end up going to Vandy and then not performing well on their 1L finals.
Well I don't know anyone else's grades, so that's hard to know. We only get told if we're in the top 20% for any given semester. The top 20% do really well generally. But for the other 80% it's hard to know how much their job prospects are directly tied to GPA vs the markets they target or other factors.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Post by hopefuljumbo23 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:49 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
hopefuljumbo23 wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:
Well I don't know anyone else's grades, so that's hard to know. We only get told if we're in the top 20% for any given semester. The top 20% do really well generally. But for the other 80% it's hard to know how much their job prospects are directly tied to GPA vs the markets they target or other factors.
Ah yeah, that makes sense. Sigh. I'm really hoping I get some scholarship money from Vanderbilt so that I could potentially attend!

zozo1717

Bronze

Post by zozo1717 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:49 pm

Anyone here have any insight into the Intellectual Property offerings at Vandy and how students with hard sciences/engineering backgrounds do with getting jobs? Seems like there are a fair amount of courses and some clinical opportunities too

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SirArthurDayne

Gold

Post by SirArthurDayne » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:33 pm

1L schedules were just released. So far I have Seymore for Torts, Suzanna for CivPro, Watts for Legal Writing, and George for Contracts. Any current or former students care to share their thoughts on these professors, or any general advice you might have?

Thanks in advance.

adil91

Silver

Post by adil91 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:35 pm

I only had George out of those. George was my favorite professor and I bet she will be yours as well. You are very lucky to have her. She's amazing.

Scalvert

Silver

Post by Scalvert » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:52 pm

Any thoughts on M. Bressman, Wuerth or Rossi?

Right2BearArms

Bronze

Post by Right2BearArms » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:14 am

SirArthurDayne wrote:1L schedules were just released. So far I have Seymore for Torts, Suzanna for CivPro, Watts for Legal Writing, and George for Contracts. Any current or former students care to share their thoughts on these professors, or any general advice you might have?

Thanks in advance.
You hit the jackpot, honestly. 3 of the best 5-6 professors at the school honestly.

I never took George or Seymore, but had a lot of interaction with Seymore due to Journal work, and he is an amazing guy, and absurdly smart.

George co-authored the textbook you will use for Ks, so there is that.

Suzanna Sherry... she is possibly the most terrifying teacher / professor I ever had. Her classes are HARD, and she expects you to be prepared (also be on time... she will stop lecturing and stare down ppl who walk in late until they are seated), but you will learn Civ-Pro better than you think at the time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Right2BearArms

Bronze

Post by Right2BearArms » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:18 am

Scalvert wrote:Any thoughts on M. Bressman, Wuerth or Rossi?
I had Bressman and Rossi. Both are fine, if not spectacular.

Bressman can be really funny, and he is a nice guy, if not super organized.

Rossi, you will either love or hate. He lectures more than most professors, and cold calls from him are never a big deal. He will stare at the back wall of the lecture hall the entire time he talks, and his exam will be absurd, though entertaining. Tip for his class is to read everything he assigns and then literally write as many words as you can on the exam. Basically try to fit every concept into the exam you can, even if it is just to dismiss it as incorrect.

SirArthurDayne

Gold

Post by SirArthurDayne » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:39 am

Right2BearArms wrote:
SirArthurDayne wrote:1L schedules were just released. So far I have Seymore for Torts, Suzanna for CivPro, Watts for Legal Writing, and George for Contracts. Any current or former students care to share their thoughts on these professors, or any general advice you might have?

Thanks in advance.
You hit the jackpot, honestly. 3 of the best 5-6 professors at the school honestly.

I never took George or Seymore, but had a lot of interaction with Seymore due to Journal work, and he is an amazing guy, and absurdly smart.

Suzanna Sherry... she is possibly the most terrifying teacher / professor I ever had. Her classes are HARD, and she expects you to be prepared (also be on time... she will stop lecturing and stare down ppl who walk in late until they are seated), but you will learn Civ-Pro better than you think at the time.
Thanks for the feedback!

Right2BearArms

Bronze

Post by Right2BearArms » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:16 pm

SirArthurDayne wrote:
Right2BearArms wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the feedback!
No problem! Happy to answer any questions anyone has about Vandy, professors, Nashville or law/law school in general. PMs welcome also.

Good luck to everyone starting soon!

Scalvert

Silver

Post by Scalvert » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:22 pm

Right2BearArms wrote:

Rossi, you will either love or hate. He lectures more than most professors, and cold calls from him are never a big deal. He will stare at the back wall of the lecture hall the entire time he talks, and his exam will be absurd, though entertaining. Tip for his class is to read everything he assigns and then literally write as many words as you can on the exam. Basically try to fit every concept into the exam you can, even if it is just to dismiss it as incorrect.
Thanks!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

do_me_a_favor

New

Post by do_me_a_favor » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:22 pm

Right2BearArms wrote:

how would you describe their exams? straightforward?
do you remember if they offered many previous exams for practice purposes, or just a few? is there a Vandy exam bank, or anything like that, and if so is it extensive?

appreciate your time!!

Right2BearArms

Bronze

Post by Right2BearArms » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:53 pm

do_me_a_favor wrote:
Right2BearArms wrote:

how would you describe their exams? straightforward?
By and large, yes, both Bressman and Rossi give straightforward exams. My year, Bressman and George gave the exact same exam, though I am not sure if that continued.

Rossi's exam is large, and has (or had) both short answer and a huge issue spotting question. It was probably the most outline dumping I did in law school and I did very well on it lol

do you remember if they offered many previous exams for practice purposes, or just a few? is there a Vandy exam bank, or anything like that, and if so is it extensive? Every professor offers at least some old exams or questions. Some have them on file in the library, but most put them up on Blackboard part way through the semester. I think most post 3-5. I would do at least 2-3 if possible to get a feel for what and how a particular professor asks a question. It can also be helpful to see things they ask multiple years. Its more hit or miss as far as who posts model answers, but I never had any trouble discussing questions with a prof. during office hours or during a review session.

appreciate your time!!

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:09 am

Right2BearArms wrote:.
Any thoughts on Allensworth for Contracts, Fitzpatrick for Civ Pro, and Bressman, L for Reg State?

Right2BearArms

Bronze

Post by Right2BearArms » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:45 pm

The Abyss wrote:
Any thoughts on Allensworth for Contracts, Fitzpatrick for Civ Pro, and Bressman, L for Reg State?
Sadly, I cannot offer much help, as I never took a class with any of those professors.

I know literally nothing about Allensworth.

I have heard good and bad things about Fitzpatrick. I think he is intense, but fair (that is the feeling I get overall).

Lady Bressman is one of the three professors who created Reg State, so she knows the subject super well. Several friends took her for admin law and absolutely loved her. Be prepared, Reg State is overall pretty awful. It is admin law lite, and the book is tedious. More than any other class, take good notes and read for this one.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:17 pm

Right2BearArms wrote:
The Abyss wrote:
Sadly, I cannot offer much help, as I never took a class with any of those professors.

I know literally nothing about Allensworth.

I have heard good and bad things about Fitzpatrick. I think he is intense, but fair (that is the feeling I get overall).

Lady Bressman is one of the three professors who created Reg State, so she knows the subject super well. Several friends took her for admin law and absolutely loved her. Be prepared, Reg State is overall pretty awful. It is admin law lite, and the book is tedious. More than any other class, take good notes and read for this one.
Thanks for the feedback!

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:17 pm

Any thoughts from anyone on Slobogin for crim law, Ruhl for property, Mikos for con law, and George for torts (I think this is the 1st time she's taught torts, but idk for sure)?

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:47 pm

The Abyss wrote:Any thoughts from anyone on Slobogin for crim law, Ruhl for property, Mikos for con law, and George for torts (I think this is the 1st time she's taught torts, but idk for sure)?
I only had Slobogin out of those, but he was one of my favorite processors. Everyone likes Ruhl, enough for us to vote him as our commencement speaker. George is another of everyone's favorite professors, and Mikos is a better option than most for con law. I'd say you have a really good schedule.

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:07 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
The Abyss wrote:Any thoughts from anyone on Slobogin for crim law, Ruhl for property, Mikos for con law, and George for torts (I think this is the 1st time she's taught torts, but idk for sure)?
I only had Slobogin out of those, but he was one of my favorite processors. Everyone likes Ruhl, enough for us to vote him as our commencement speaker. George is another of everyone's favorite professors, and Mikos is a better option than most for con law. I'd say you have a really good schedule.
Thanks for the feedback!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”