Vandy 2L Taking Question Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
arklaw13

Gold

Re: Vandy 2L Taking Question

Post by arklaw13 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:23 pm

ZipWhenSheMoves wrote:
so ambivalent wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:Is it possible to live in Nashville without a car?
Yes but I HIGHLY recommend getting a car. It is very inconvenient.
totally disagree with this. if you live near school (most do) or within 1 mi it's easy to bike. also the bus is free and the ones that run on west end and 21st are pretty regular. the only time it might eb an issue is for grocery shopping, but it depends on how invested you are in cooking yourself or if you have a roomies and could do it with them/their car. for going out you're going to cab it anyways.
parking is super $$$$$ (like $200+ a year) and they ticket. so you can save alot by not driving to school.

The bus is free?
Your Vandy ID card gets on on the bus for free.

OliveBC

Bronze

Post by OliveBC » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:20 pm

I'd be interested to know if you have any anecdotal info about people from Vandy looking for/getting firm jobs in NC? I have ties there (family, was born in NC, etc.) and loved Vandy when I visited but I'm wondering if it would be worth the extra $ compared to say UNC.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:49 pm

OliveBC wrote:I'd be interested to know if you have any anecdotal info about people from Vandy looking for/getting firm jobs in NC? I have ties there (family, was born in NC, etc.) and loved Vandy when I visited but I'm wondering if it would be worth the extra $ compared to say UNC.
There's Vandy alums at all of the major Charlotte firms, but I know that market was hit really hard when the financial industry went down and hiring has been slow for the last few years. I would be wary of putting all your eggs in the NC basket ITE. LST has UNC at 21.7% clerkship/biglaw vs. 38.8% for Vandy. If the choice is Vandy at sticker or UNC full ride and you're certain you want to stay in NC, it might be a tougher call, but otherwise don't go to UNC.

OliveBC

Bronze

Post by OliveBC » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:16 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
There's Vandy alums at all of the major Charlotte firms, but I know that market was hit really hard when the financial industry went down and hiring has been slow for the last few years. I would be wary of putting all your eggs in the NC basket ITE. LST has UNC at 21.7% clerkship/biglaw vs. 38.8% for Vandy. If the choice is Vandy at sticker or UNC full ride and you're certain you want to stay in NC, it might be a tougher call, but otherwise don't go to UNC.

Thanks for the input! That is more and more what I'm leaning towards, especially because I hope to get pretty solid money from Vandy (fingers crossed-we'll see!) I would definitely prefer Charlotte but I also have ties to Atlanta. (Would love to stay in Nashville-though I read earlier in this thread that the market is incredibly competitive).

At the end of the day though...I will happily go where ever I get a job :lol:

so ambivalent

New

Post by so ambivalent » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:22 pm

yup, it's free with your vandy id, you just swipe it like a bus pass. and they are working on expanding routes so it will only get better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:11 pm

To anyone,

Do grades for LRW come out 30 days after we turned out memo in, or around the same time as all our doctrinal classes?

Indebted

New

Post by Indebted » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:09 am

Same as your doctrinal classes.

ZipWhenSheMoves

Bronze

Post by ZipWhenSheMoves » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:45 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has any information on the Law Scholars Awards- do you know how many people they select? (more than 1 person for each named scholarship, or no?) Do people know what the LSAT/GPA stats are for students who are selected?

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:56 pm

ZipWhenSheMoves wrote:Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has any information on the Law Scholars Awards- do you know how many people they select? (more than 1 person for each named scholarship, or no?) Do people know what the LSAT/GPA stats are for students who are selected?
I'll pm you

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Beercules

Bronze

Post by Beercules » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:43 pm

Can any Vandy students debate the investment of attending with sights on the NYC market specifically? I'm NYC based currently. I have no interest in Atlanta or any other southern metropolis. However, ideally I would target NYC/DC/CA for a post-grad job. Do people do this? Are they successful?

Thanks y'all.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:36 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:35 pm

Hey here, so far Vandy's my top choice, but I'm also waiting on everything ranked from 10-Vandy. Seeing as I'm strongly considering a retake, especially if Vandy ends up as my highest ranked acceptance, can somebody shed some light as to how Vanderbilt graduates far in the Texas markets with ties?

I'm a bit apprehensive to take Vanderbuilt, which in all likelihood, will be at or near sticker for tuition for a 1/3 or less shot at TX Big Law.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:39 pm

n
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dawkins

New

Post by Dawkins » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:57 am

Beercules wrote:Can any Vandy students debate the investment of attending with sights on the NYC market specifically? I'm NYC based currently. I have no interest in Atlanta or any other southern metropolis. However, ideally I would target NYC/DC/CA for a post-grad job. Do people do this? Are they successful?

Thanks y'all.
I think attending Vandy with the goal of ending up in DC or NYC is very reasonable. I know people headed to great firms (and other organizations) in both cities. Keep in mind that a lot of people at Vandy have no interest in going to DC or NYC because they prefer a more laid back lifestyle (not because they couldn't go to those cities if they wanted to).

I'm headed to CA, but most of the people I know headed back there are from CA.

Anyway, Vandy is an awesome school, and I wouldn't let your ultimate geographic preference influence your choice too much.

El Principe

Silver

Post by El Principe » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:26 pm

Dawkins wrote:
Beercules wrote:Can any Vandy students debate the investment of attending with sights on the NYC market specifically? I'm NYC based currently. I have no interest in Atlanta or any other southern metropolis. However, ideally I would target NYC/DC/CA for a post-grad job. Do people do this? Are they successful?

Thanks y'all.
I think attending Vandy with the goal of ending up in DC or NYC is very reasonable. I know people headed to great firms (and other organizations) in both cities. Keep in mind that a lot of people at Vandy have no interest in going to DC or NYC because they prefer a more laid back lifestyle (not because they couldn't go to those cities if they wanted to).

Anyway, Vandy is an awesome school, and I wouldn't let your ultimate geographic preference influence your choice too much.
You know of anyone who went to Cali w/o ties? Or DC for that matter?

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:44 pm

El Principe wrote:
Dawkins wrote:

Thanks y'all.

You know of anyone who went to Cali w/o ties? Or DC for that matter?
DC, like NYC is not a tie-focused market. It is very grade-focused though. Plenty of people get DC offers, but they have excellent grades and are probably on Law Review. This is generally going to be the case at most schools, though. You don't need ties to DC, but you will need great grades from any school you go (save for HYS, I suppose, but you still can't have shit grades).

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:08 pm

So Vandy seems to have one of the wider geographic dispersions of any law school. But if all of the classic biglaw cities only recruit maybe the top 1/4, but less than a third of the class says in the South/immediate region, what happens for the large number of students who aren't at the top, don't stay in the South, but appear to get decent jobs? Is 2L/3L all a big hustle?

Vandy seems to draw their students from a comparatively wider geographic net, too. Does the lack of big local legal market mean the wide geographic dispersion in employment is a result of the people from out of region returning to their original regions? Curious to hear your thoughts!

Also, I'm visiting next month and it will be my first time to Nashville. Anything we must do?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:02 am

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dawkins

New

Post by Dawkins » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:38 am

El Principe wrote: You know of anyone who went to Cali w/o ties? Or DC for that matter?
I know a couple people who got Cali offers without ties, but they ended up choosing other cities like Atlanta. As someone above mentioned, many people get DC without ties.

Grades, networking, and being good with people are more important than ties for places like DC and NYC. The value of networking cannot be underestimated.

One great thing about Vandy versus other schools is that you get way more individualized attention from faculty, classmates, and people who visit the school. If you're smart, you can really work that to your advantage.

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:41 pm

TheThriller wrote:Anyone have feelings on Fitzpatrick - Civ Pro, Cheng - Torts and/or Haw - Contracts?
Very, very good feelings

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:40 pm

Would you current students/grads have taken Vandy for $90K-$120K in debt if shooting for a private firm or JAG? Assume it's the best school on your radar - only other options are strong/decent regionals for cheap.

How hard is it to land mid/biglaw in Atlanta?

Would you recommend paying more for an apartment near campus and walking/biking in, or paying less but living in the burbs and driving 15-25 mins in?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:49 am

k
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dawkins

New

Post by Dawkins » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:56 am

AT9 wrote:Would you current students/grads have taken Vandy for $90K-$120K in debt if shooting for a private firm or JAG? Assume it's the best school on your radar - only other options are strong/decent regionals for cheap.

How hard is it to land mid/biglaw in Atlanta?

Would you recommend paying more for an apartment near campus and walking/biking in, or paying less but living in the burbs and driving 15-25 mins in?
Vandy is definitely worth it at that price (or any price for that matter depending on one's options).

I can't really comment on how easy it is to get big law in Atlanta, but I've met several people who chose it over other offers in larger cities like Los Angeles and Chicago. I can't imagine it's that difficult if you have decent grades and are good at promoting yourself.

There are many neighborhoods to live in, and it really depends on personal preference. I love being able to walk to school, so for me its worth the extra expense. But other people prefer to drive. Some closer areas are the West End, Midtown, and Hillsboro Village. You can easily walk from anywhere in those locations, and that's my recommendation.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:35 am

j
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustHawkin

Gold

Post by JustHawkin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:15 am

rad lulz wrote: Whether you want to live in the burbs is a personal decisoon

The benefits and detriments are what you'd expect
It may be a bit premature, but just curious:

From Obiter Dictum, it looks like Americana Apartments is a pretty decent place to live. Can anyone speak on this?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”