Duke 1L (soon to be 2L) taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Duke 1L (soon to be 2L) taking questions

Post by sparkytrainer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:15 pm

Last edited by sparkytrainer on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:43 am

sparkytrainer wrote:
proteinshake wrote:any tips for Haagen's Contracts final?
Find the actual issue. Each question has one or two things going on really deep down. If you figure those out you are golden. If you do a superficial analysis of all the issues, you are boned.
thanks! also, a bunch of my classmates have been saying that he manipulates the curve / grades really weird or something? any truth to that?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:28 am

Last edited by sparkytrainer on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:25 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
proteinshake wrote:any tips for Haagen's Contracts final?
Find the actual issue. Each question has one or two things going on really deep down. If you figure those out you are golden. If you do a superficial analysis of all the issues, you are boned.
thanks! also, a bunch of my classmates have been saying that he manipulates the curve / grades really weird or something? any truth to that?
All the professors manipulate the curve. Some give out lots of high grades, which means they have to give out a lot of really low grades. Others don't like giving out low grades, so 90% of the class gets a 3.1-3.4 and only 1 or 2 grades higher. Haagen is the latter kind. Only 1 or 2 people will get an above median grade.
yeah that's what everyone has been saying. thanks!

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:35 pm

looking for a single apartment < $1k for next year, any suggestions?

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:35 pm

proteinshake wrote:looking for a single apartment < $1k for next year, any suggestions?
House

magnum_law

Bronze

Post by magnum_law » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:41 pm

proteinshake wrote:looking for a single apartment < $1k for next year, any suggestions?
Arium!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:39 pm

magnum_law wrote:
Arium!
if I'm looking for something a bit more upscale, would I have to venture out a bit closer to SouthPoint?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:43 pm

proteinshake wrote:
magnum_law wrote:
Arium!
if I'm looking for something a bit more upscale, would I have to venture out a bit closer to SouthPoint?
No, there is the lofts at lakeview, Berkshire 9th street, and a few others.

But these are gonna be pricier than what you can get with a house. I have a house within walking distance to campus for 2k that is 4 bedrooms and over an acre of land. A 2 bedroom is that price at some of these apartment complexes. A few friends have 2bed 2bath houses for 1k a month in nice areas.

The real truth is getting a house.

magnum_law

Bronze

Post by magnum_law » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:58 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
magnum_law wrote:
Arium!

But these are gonna be pricier than what you can get with a house. I have a house within walking distance to campus for 2k that is 4 bedrooms and over an acre of land. A 2 bedroom is that price at some of these apartment complexes. A few friends have 2bed 2bath houses for 1k a month in nice areas.

Yeah, anything fancier than Arium is easily $1k+ unless further out. Maybe Garett West but not 100% sure? Lofts is awesome but was almost 2k last year.

Agreed that a house is awesome value, especially with roomies.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:04 pm

magnum_law wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
magnum_law wrote:
Arium!

Yeah, anything fancier than Arium is easily $1k+ unless further out. Maybe Garett West but not 100% sure? Lofts is awesome but was almost 2k last year.

Yeah, agreed. I want to add those prices for the houses in my last post is the total cost for the whole place, then divide it up amongst a couple roommates and it is ridiculously cheap for a dope house. I lived my first year at one of the typical apartment complexes and hated it compared to my current house.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:16 pm

sparkytrainer wrote:
magnum_law wrote:
sparkytrainer wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
magnum_law wrote:
Arium!

Yeah, agreed. I want to add those prices for the houses in my last post is the total cost for the whole place, then divide it up amongst a couple roommates and it is ridiculously cheap for a dope house. I lived my first year at one of the typical apartment complexes and hated it compared to my current house.
yeah my thing is I don't want roommates. every roommate I've ever had has been annoyingly dirty and I just don't want to deal with that again (especially since I"m somewhat of a neat freak). I found apartments that are closer to SouthPoint for 850-950 for a 1BR so I'll check those out. thanks all!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:38 am

how do I get a rough estimate of class rank? is the MyLSN calculator accurate?

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:21 am

I think someone may have asked this but is duke at sticker worth it? I am only applying for merit aid now that I got my acceptance. I want a clerkiship and to do big law for a couple years, eventually become an AAG. (Although becoming a judge is the dream)

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:52 am

Prudence wrote:I think someone may have asked this but is duke at sticker worth it? I am only applying for merit aid now that I got my acceptance. I want a clerkiship and to do big law for a couple years, eventually become an AAG. (Although becoming a judge is the dream)

I don't know if it's worth it, but you're not that late to be applying for aid. Last year I interviewed in March and still got pretty much exactly what I expected from my stats.

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:07 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
Prudence wrote:I think someone may have asked this but is duke at sticker worth it? I am only applying for merit aid now that I got my acceptance. I want a clerkiship and to do big law for a couple years, eventually become an AAG. (Although becoming a judge is the dream)

I don't know if it's worth it, but you're not that late to be applying for aid. Last year I interviewed in March and still got pretty much exactly what I expected from my stats.
Thanks! I interview in February but really like that duke has great employment outcomes and lower cost of living. But the tuition is scary as with all the T13

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:27 pm

proteinshake wrote:
magnum_law wrote:
Arium!
check out alden place. underrated community IMO. really great place and affordable too.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:47 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
magnum_law wrote:
Arium!
check out alden place. underrated community IMO. really great place and affordable too.
omg thank u

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:26 pm

proteinshake wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
magnum_law wrote:
Arium!
omg thank u
it's not "gated." but let's be real, the pinnacle ridge (sorry, i guess "Arium" is what the kids are calling it these days) gates are a farce anyways.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:35 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
magnum_law wrote:
Arium!
omg thank u
it's not "gated." but let's be real, the pinnacle ridge (sorry, i guess "Arium" is what the kids are calling it these days) gates are a farce anyways.
any idea if it's possible to negotiate the price down? a ton of people at Garrett West have done this (but then again the rent there is higher)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:59 pm

proteinshake wrote: any idea if it's possible to negotiate the price down? a ton of people at Garrett West have done this (but then again the rent there is higher)
i would doubt it. the rates are set based on the time of year, etc. by the parent company that owns it, as with most complexes. we tried to not pay for valet trash and security system (said we didnt want it), and they said, tough, it's included. that said, they changed hands while i was there, so you never know... but i would guess not.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:09 pm

any tips on interviewing with Stanback employers?

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue May 15, 2018 3:39 am

how hard is it to get onto one of the secondary journals? any advice on ranking preferences if my only goal is to get on any journal?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Post by sparkytrainer » Tue May 15, 2018 8:06 am

proteinshake wrote:how hard is it to get onto one of the secondary journals? any advice on ranking preferences if my only goal is to get on any journal?
It is getting much more difficult. Duke has come to believe there are too many students on journals so they have cut a journal this year with an eye to cutting more journals and also reducing the number of students on each journal. So if you think you are just gonna put together a half-assed case note, you are in for a surprise when you dont get a journal.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”