Duke 1L (soon to be 2L) taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lymenheimer

Gold

Re: Duke 1L (soon to be 2L) taking questions

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:30 am

Harry Ass Truman wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
Harry Ass Truman wrote:Where do most 1Ls live?
Most of my friends are split between Garrett West, The Heights at LaSalle, and renting houses.
Hear anything of Trinity or The Lofts?
Oh yea. I know people at both of those as well. Most of the lofts folks (that i know) either walk or bike. 10 minutes easy. Heights isnt too much further than the lofts. I mean, there are certainly some to avoid (i dont remember which ones) but the ones highlighted on dukelawdenovo are the ones that most students will pick. I know a lot of people looking at houses for 2L+ though.

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:21 pm

How often do people go to Raleigh or Chapel Hill for fun? I'm worried about getting bored during 2L and 3LOL so would love to hear what you all do for fun (aside from bars).

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:28 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:How often do people go to Raleigh or Chapel Hill for fun? I'm worried about getting bored during 2L and 3LOL so would love to hear what you all do for fun (aside from bars).
Still a 1L, but I have a bunch of friends still in raleigh so i go hang out there regularly. And sanctioned events that are located in raleigh/CH. i've always considered it like one big region rather than separate cities, because the in between (morrisville/cary) is growing and has things to do as well. Not NYC busy, but it's hard to not find something to do.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:06 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:How often do people go to Raleigh or Chapel Hill for fun? I'm worried about getting bored during 2L and 3LOL so would love to hear what you all do for fun (aside from bars).
i always tell people the triangle area is the perfect size to spend 3 years in law school. there's plenty of stuff to do when you're not busy studying, but not so much that it is a distraction like a major city could be. and by the end, you're ready to spend the rest of your 20-somethings in a larger city

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:45 pm

That's great to hear! Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Blue664

New

Post by Blue664 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:23 pm

A couple of general questions:
- When do people generally sign leases and move in? I wasn't thinking of moving to Durham until August 1 - is that a problem as far as apartment availability or other reasons? I noticed on a quick search of some complex websites that not much availability past June is posted yet. Should I hold off on making inquiries?
- Fun ideas for places dogs and dog owners to meet and play, like off leash areas or trails that allow dogs?

And a very specific question:
Garrett West and Parc at University Tower look like they are owned by the same management company. Is there a big difference between the two? Just from Google Maps it looks like Parc might have a better location, because it's further off the main road, but not sure what the on-the-ground situation is like. It seems like Garrett West is more popular though?

Thanks all!

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:04 pm

Blue664 wrote:A couple of general questions:
- When do people generally sign leases and move in? I wasn't thinking of moving to Durham until August 1 - is that a problem as far as apartment availability or other reasons? I noticed on a quick search of some complex websites that not much availability past June is posted yet. Should I hold off on making inquiries?
- Fun ideas for places dogs and dog owners to meet and play, like off leash areas or trails that allow dogs?

Garrett West and Parc at University Tower look like they are owned by the same management company. Is there a big difference between the two? Just from Google Maps it looks like Parc might have a better location, because it's further off the main road, but not sure what the on-the-ground situation is like. It seems like Garrett West is more popular though?

Thanks all!
+1 in trying to find places to take your dog! My dog is 65lbs and any chance to wear him out, I'll take! I am also living in Garrett West next year.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Blue664 wrote:When do people generally sign leases and move in? I wasn't thinking of moving to Durham until August 1 - is that a problem as far as apartment availability or other reasons? I noticed on a quick search of some complex websites that not much availability past June is posted yet. Should I hold off on making inquiries?
That should not be a problem. I started my 1L lease beginning of August as well. And, yeah, it's a little early to be looking. Most places won't have you notify them of your intentions to move out until about 60 days out. I'd start checking availability in about a month.

Serett

Post by Serett » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:55 pm

Blue664 wrote:A couple of general questions:
I remember plenty of variability on this. I don't think I signed a lease until a bit over a month until I moved in (rented a room in a townhouse from its owner), and that was after I decided not to go with an apartment that would've been available around the same time. I know of others who signed leases not long after ASW. Regardless, my August 1 start date wasn't an issue, and I know of people who moved here both earlier and later than that.
Can't comment on this from personal experience, and definitely not sure of off-leash areas, but I hear great things about Duke Forest (which permits leashed dogs). Additionally, Duke Gardens permits leashed dogs before 10a and after 5p.

Thanks all!
They're basically right next to one another, and neither should have noise issues from 15-501. Both are very nice. I think generally Garrett West is more apartment-style, while Trinity Estates has townhouse options.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:59 pm

Serett wrote:
Blue664 wrote:
Can't comment on this from personal experience, and definitely not sure of off-leash areas, but I hear great things about Duke Forest (which permits leashed dogs). Additionally, Duke Gardens permits leashed dogs before 10a and after 5p.
also, Eno State Park is really great with or without a dog. Just make sure your pup is on tick meds and try to avoid during tick season

enitar

New

Post by enitar » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:45 pm

With regards to the LARW on the academic calendar(Jan.4th) - does that mean 1Ls have to be back on campus on Jan.4th? So just 12/20-1/3 for winter break? :shock:

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:55 pm

enitar wrote:With regards to the LARW on the academic calendar(Jan.4th) - does that mean 1Ls have to be back on campus on Jan.4th? So just 12/20-1/3 for winter break? :shock:
yep

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:57 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
enitar wrote:With regards to the LARW on the academic calendar(Jan.4th) - does that mean 1Ls have to be back on campus on Jan.4th? So just 12/20-1/3 for winter break? :shock:
yep
Honestly seems like a pretty normal length of winter break.

Do 1L finals extend all the way to the 20th?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:05 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
yep
Honestly seems like a pretty normal length of winter break.

Do 1L finals extend all the way to the 20th?
yep

cub1014

Bronze

Post by cub1014 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:15 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
yep
Yep, and a few days before classes start on the 4th you'll get your motion memo assignments for LARW, and the turnaround for the assignment is fairly quick. The spring semester has a heavy workload.

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:10 pm

cub1014 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
yep
Yep, and a few days before classes start on the 4th you'll get your motion memo assignments for LARW, and the turnaround for the assignment is fairly quick. The spring semester has a heavy workload.
To be honest, 1L's dont get breaks once orientation starts. Fall break = office memo. Thanksgiving = outlining. Winter Break = applying to jobs. Then you have to come back earlier for LARW. Spring Break = appellate brief. Summer Break = casenote competition and 1L job. And then our summers are cut short because we have to come back for OCIs and call backs.

Basically you wont get a break until 2L Fall Break :lol:

Stephylynette

Bronze

Post by Stephylynette » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:14 pm

lolRCscrewyou wrote:
cub1014 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
yep
To be honest, 1L's dont get breaks once orientation starts. Fall break = office memo. Thanksgiving = outlining. Winter Break = applying to jobs. Then you have to come back earlier for LARW. Spring Break = appellate brief. Summer Break = casenote competition and 1L job. And then our summers are cut short because we have to come back for OCIs and call backs.

Basically you wont get a break until 2L Fall Break :lol:
Okay. But like people still leave to go visit family during the breaks, right?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:18 pm

Stephylynette wrote: Okay. But like people still leave to go visit family during the breaks, right?
I didn't go anywhere because I had other things to do, but I did nothing the first part of the weeks, and stressed myself out doing work the...Thursday/Friday, Saturday, Sunday of (fall/spring) break week. If you do your work better than procrastination, you'll have plenty of time.

Serett

Post by Serett » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:18 am

Plenty of people do their work early (or I guess late) and go out of town for fall break. Others leave for Thanksgiving. No one, or almost no one, hangs around during winter break. Legal writing blows, but it's still less than a 15-page paper that you'll have made progress on throughout most of the semester up to that point.

joeytribbiani

Bronze

Post by joeytribbiani » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:43 pm

Reading about DLJ and a couple questions. I know this is way early, I'm just bored in class and have nothing better to do.

(1) Why do they take 39-42 students? That seems like a strange number.. maybe there is no point, just wondered if anyone knew.
(2) Is the 1L Casenote Competition mandatory? If not, any sense of how many people participate?

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:16 pm

Hi, I wanted to ask about the JD/MBA admission advantage. How much of an advantage is being an 1L, if you apply to the MBA while a 1L? Does it increase chances? I want to apply JD/MBA but i have better shot at Duke Law compared to MBA

ALSO

Are the financial and business courses offiered at duke Law quantative in nature? Would it be at a rigor, math-wise, of a business school? And would IB and PE and hedge looks favorably upon the business and financial courses offered at Duke law?

Thank you!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PB&J.D.

Bronze

Post by PB&J.D. » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:33 pm

theventriloquist wrote:Hi, I wanted to ask about the JD/MBA admission advantage. How much of an advantage is being an 1L, if you apply to the MBA while a 1L? Does it increase chances? I want to apply JD/MBA but i have better shot at Duke Law compared to MBA

ALSO

Are the financial and business courses offered at duke Law quantitative in nature? Would it be at a rigor, math-wise, of a business school? And would IB and PE and hedge looks favorably upon the business and financial courses offered at Duke law?

Thank you!
I'd think it's negligible. And the business courses at Duke law are not quantitatively rigorous (with basic accounting being the most in-depth). I have no IB/PE/HF experience, but I highly doubt those courses would carry weight with them.

Do you want to be an in-house attorney at a fund?

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:37 pm

theventriloquist wrote:Hi, I wanted to ask about the JD/MBA admission advantage. How much of an advantage is being an 1L, if you apply to the MBA while a 1L? Does it increase chances? I want to apply JD/MBA but i have better shot at Duke Law compared to MBA

ALSO

Are the financial and business courses offiered at duke Law quantative in nature? Would it be at a rigor, math-wise, of a business school? And would IB and PE and hedge looks favorably upon the business and financial courses offered at Duke law?

Thank you!
Stop posting on these forums. Go be an I banker. The business school isn't going to admit you from the Jd program unless you were already a decent candidate. You aren't. Fuqua also requires a few years of work experience anyway I believe. You don't have that. Stop this and go actually get some job experience.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:21 am

grades?? wrote:.
You're doing God's work

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Tue May 02, 2017 5:58 pm

PB&J.D. wrote:

ALSO

Are the financial and business courses offered at duke Law quantitative in nature? Would it be at a rigor, math-wise, of a business school? And would IB and PE and hedge looks favorably upon the business and financial courses offered at Duke law?

Thank you!
I'd think it's negligible. And the business courses at Duke law are not quantitatively rigorous (with basic accounting being the most in-depth). I have no IB/PE/HF experience, but I highly doubt those courses would carry weight with them.

Do you want to be an in-house attorney at a fund?
Thanks for that answer. I want to go into BigLaw.

If you don't mind me asking, how competitive is the atmosphere at duke law? They grade on a curve, so how hard is to get top of class? I have a LSAT of 177; I have read that LSAT correlates with grades. I wonder if I can make it at the top of class.

I know you'll say, "work hard and sure you can." But everyone--especially at Duke--works hard. But most get B's and C's, b/c of the curve. So I'm guessing, to be top, you really need to have intelligence, is that correct?

I want to get into biglaw so i have to graduate at top of class.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”