Duke 1L (soon to be 2L) taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tinycatfriend

Bronze

Re: Duke 1L (soon to be 2L) taking questions

Post by tinycatfriend » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:00 pm

How's the criminal law program at Duke? I noticed that they didn't have too many criminal law clinics, which concerns me

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:13 pm

There's the Guantanamo defense clinic and the innocence project / wrongful convictions clinic. With the former you actually can get to go to Cuba after working on motions, etc.

Aside from that I can't elaborate too much on your question as I haven't looked into any related courses

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:31 pm

not sure how much this matters, but how well does Duke do when it comes to elite firm placement?

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:36 pm

proteinshake wrote:not sure how much this matters, but how well does Duke do when it comes to elite firm placement?
This is a silly question. How are you defining elite firms? Also, it doesn't really matter because it depends so heavily on 1L GPA. But we do objectively well with the top top firms. We had something like 6-8 WC offers, a bunch of cravath offers, etc. But this is all silly. If you are top 5% at Duke or UVA or Michigan, it doesn't matter. You will have the same opportunities.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:46 pm

grades?? wrote:
proteinshake wrote:not sure how much this matters, but how well does Duke do when it comes to elite firm placement?
This is a silly question. How are you defining elite firms? Also, it doesn't really matter because it depends so heavily on 1L GPA. But we do objectively well with the top top firms. We had something like 6-8 WC offers, a bunch of cravath offers, etc. But this is all silly. If you are top 5% at Duke or UVA or Michigan, it doesn't matter. You will have the same opportunities.
wasn't trying to compare against peers, just wondering how Duke does, since I"m guessing most people prefer "elite" (whether that means "V whatever" or just "highly regarded") firms over others.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:50 pm

proteinshake wrote:
grades?? wrote:
wasn't trying to compare against peers, just wondering how Duke does, since I"m guessing most people prefer "elite" (whether that means "V whatever" or just "highly regarded") firms over others.
We have one of the top 3 highest percentages of biglaw in the t14 last time I checked. So yeah, we do alright.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:43 pm

got an email from Duke about applying for a scholarship toward a Barbri Prep Course over the summer before 1L. worth it if it's free?

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:53 pm

i ignored that email. p sure TCR regarding those courses is that they are a waste of time.

enjoy your time before law school to chill and read for pleasure then just hit the ground running when classes start. nothing can really prepare you for how to drink through the firehose that is fall 1L.

Maybe buy Open Book (way better and more concise than Getting to Maybe) and give it a skim if you want to feel productive in some way, but even that I would leave til fall break.

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:19 pm

Welcome to TLS

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:17 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote:How's the criminal law program at Duke? I noticed that they didn't have too many criminal law clinics, which concerns me
you can extern at the Federal PD & USAO in Raleigh, but not a lot of people go into crim work out of Duke.
Yeah there crim faculty is great but duke isn't known for crim law students. But that is also pretty broadly the same across t14s. If you want to do crim, just go to UNC for free (insert your state flagship law school here)

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:49 pm

Welcome to TLS

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Last edited by proteinshake on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:02 pm

Last edited by SplitMyPants on Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:22 pm

Last edited by proteinshake on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:54 pm

Last edited by SplitMyPants on Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:57 pm

Also, just a heads up, I know at least Career Services occasionally reads this thread. I'd imagine other offices in the school do as well. Fell free to PM if you'd like.

Beads2017

New

Post by Beads2017 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:11 pm

Hey, my boyfriend is going to UNC Law and I'm going to Duke...any suggestions about good apartments you know about that are somewhere in between? It's so hard when you don't really know the area!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Serett

Post by Serett » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Beads2017 wrote:Hey, my boyfriend is going to UNC Law and I'm going to Duke...any suggestions about good apartments you know about that are somewhere in between? It's so hard when you don't really know the area!
The main drag from Chapel Hill to Durham is 15-501/Durham-Chapel Hill Boulevard. Any of the complexes along there (Garrett West, Century Trinity Estates, Preserve at the Park, etc.) would be commutable to both schools. The former two, in particular, are relatively popular among Duke Law students. There are other options along Garrett Road, Mount Moriah Road, and others in a similar location. Others have rented houses in that general area.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:16 am

thoughts on living at Garrett West?

Serett

Post by Serett » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:47 am

proteinshake wrote:thoughts on living at Garrett West?
Very nice place if it's within your budget. Will in all likelihood be at least a few other students living there, too.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Costco membership, Sam's Club membership?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:33 am

is it a big deal if you miss the faculty reception during ASD?

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:34 am

proteinshake wrote:is it a big deal if you miss the faculty reception during ASD?
No. It was cool to meet other students and a professor or two, but some of the faculty looked like theyd rather be elsewhere and were only there for the booze. But if it's in Nasher, they probably have the exhibits open. That part was cool.

call-me-bubbles

Bronze

Post by call-me-bubbles » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:25 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:55 am

call-me-bubbles wrote:
I'm not sure how the postings online compare to the actual need, but you're doing good to look in Raleigh as well. It also depends on what "any job" is and her qualifications for other jobs. I know NC teaching licensing is annoying, but she may look into that. I don't know if she considered student teaching or being a Teacher's Assistant. I know a couple who moved here for his law school and she isn't licensed here (to my knowledge) or even practicing her degree, but is a TA. I also know some people who supplement their substitute teaching with coaching (at a local gym, not through school). There are also lots of charter/private schools in the surrounding area. Again, I'm not sure how they post hiring positions, but they may be able to work with non-licensed individuals (private at least). I think most other degree non-specific entry level are going to be sales positions. There are some malls fairly close. I know it's not glamorous, but if open to "anything", she could also look into that.

eta: it may end up being a lot of work for the stage that you are currently at, but there are likely going to be some options.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”