Duke 1L (soon to be 2L) taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NoLieAbility

Bronze

Re: Duke 1L (soon to be 2L) taking questions

Post by NoLieAbility » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:59 pm

grades?? wrote:You absolutely need a car if you don't have an apartment immediately off campus like at trinity commons. One 1L tried to make it to winter break without one and couldn't.
Yeah, I've had friends who tried to go without a car, and most caved before winter break. It isn't impossible, but it's difficult. You're going to be using Uber a fair bit without one.

Serett

Post by Serett » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:01 pm

jean100 wrote:Know this was brought up earlier in this thread but wanted to ask current students: how feasible is life at Duke w/o a car? Are buses/shuttles reliable? Do people carpool?

Considering settling in w/o a car and then using rentals as needed/leasing one after a few months.
I know a few people who are still 2Ls without vehicles. It's possible, but as grades?? mentioned, it severely limits your housing options. I wouldn't do it if I weren't in walking/biking distance of the law school and content to use those methods most of the time (well, I wouldn't personally do it at all, but you get what I mean).

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:21 am

Welcome to TLS

jean100

New

Post by jean100 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:42 pm

Thanks for all the help on the car situation! How does housing work? Seems a bit disorganized. Beyond the FB group & spreadsheet is there any other way for 1Ls to find roommates before signing a lease?

legallybrunette93

New

Post by legallybrunette93 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:49 pm

jean100 wrote:Thanks for all the help on the car situation! How does housing work? Seems a bit disorganized. Beyond the FB group & spreadsheet is there any other way for 1Ls to find roommates before signing a lease?
I guess you could try craigslist, but everyone that I know with a roommate found them through fb/the spreadsheet. Duke doesn't provide any sort of roommate matching or anything like that if that's what you're looking for. Since housing is off campus it's really up to you to find your roommate and apartment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Serett

Post by Serett » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:58 pm

legallybrunette93 wrote:
jean100 wrote:Thanks for all the help on the car situation! How does housing work? Seems a bit disorganized. Beyond the FB group & spreadsheet is there any other way for 1Ls to find roommates before signing a lease?
I guess you could try craigslist, but everyone that I know with a roommate found them through fb/the spreadsheet. Duke doesn't provide any sort of roommate matching or anything like that if that's what you're looking for. Since housing is off campus it's really up to you to find your roommate and apartment.
In addition to craigslist, you can look at apartmentratings.com and dukelawdenovo.com, then check with apartment complexes directly. And before craigslist, use dukelist.duke.edu, because it's less sketchy and more student-oriented (not that you can't also use craigslist, if you choose).

no_desk

New

Post by no_desk » Thu May 19, 2016 8:19 pm

Last edited by no_desk on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Thu May 19, 2016 8:28 pm

no_desk wrote:Hey, quick question if theres anyone still answering questions in here. Whats the breakdown in terms of living situations, do most people have roommates or not? Obviously older students with families and stuff wouldn't, but other than that what's the general situation? I'm coming from a city that is significantly more expensive than Durham and essentially required you to have one or two if you weren't making 6 figures, so the lower cost of living and rent I'm seeing have thrown my initial plans off and have me considering getting a 1br on my own. I just can't help but worry that my natural inclination to be a homebody is going to end up in some self-created social isolation, since I've always had a roommate in the past. Just looking through the places I've seen mentioned in here, and it looks like whether I go 1 br or 2br, anything in the suggested places like Pinnacle Ridge and Alexan Garrett is going to be cheaper than what I'm coming from.
Probably just as many 1ls live alone as 1ls who live with roommates. I lived alone as a 1l. It literally only has upsides- can do whatever I want in the space and don't have to be considerate to someone else. Just don't be anti-social and you will be fine. But if you are anti-social to begin with, then it doesn't matter if you have roommates or not, your social life will struggle.

Edit: also, don't live in pinnacle ridge. Its a shit hole.

no_desk

New

Post by no_desk » Thu May 19, 2016 11:20 pm

Last edited by no_desk on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Thu May 19, 2016 11:26 pm

no_desk wrote:
grades?? wrote:
no_desk wrote:Hey, quick question if theres anyone still answering questions in here. Whats the breakdown in terms of living situations, do most people have roommates or not? Obviously older students with families and stuff wouldn't, but other than that what's the general situation? I'm coming from a city that is significantly more expensive than Durham and essentially required you to have one or two if you weren't making 6 figures, so the lower cost of living and rent I'm seeing have thrown my initial plans off and have me considering getting a 1br on my own. I just can't help but worry that my natural inclination to be a homebody is going to end up in some self-created social isolation, since I've always had a roommate in the past. Just looking through the places I've seen mentioned in here, and it looks like whether I go 1 br or 2br, anything in the suggested places like Pinnacle Ridge and Alexan Garrett is going to be cheaper than what I'm coming from.
Probably just as many 1ls live alone as 1ls who live with roommates. I lived alone as a 1l. It literally only has upsides- can do whatever I want in the space and don't have to be considerate to someone else. Just don't be anti-social and you will be fine. But if you are anti-social to begin with, then it doesn't matter if you have roommates or not, your social life will struggle.

Is Pinnacle Ridge really that bad?
Yes. It is categorically the worst apartment complex any 1ls have lived in the past 5 years. A few years ago a 1l who lived on the third floor was in the shower. Some guy broke into his apartment, stole his laptop a week before finals and left. While he was in the shower. The only place I've heard that happen is in pinnacle. Plus bugs everywhere, terrible management, etc. No one who lived in pinnacle as a 1l stayed. Literally no one. Go anywhere else. The lofts, trinity commons, parc at university tower are all much better options.

PB&J.D.

Bronze

Post by PB&J.D. » Thu May 19, 2016 11:35 pm

There were also break-ins at Alden Place last year. It's not that common, but is just another reason to avoid living on the first floor/in buildings with exterior doors.

no_desk

New

Post by no_desk » Thu May 19, 2016 11:56 pm

FluffMonster

Gold

Post by FluffMonster » Fri May 20, 2016 9:42 am

grades?? wrote:
no_desk wrote:
grades?? wrote:

Is Pinnacle Ridge really that bad?
Yes. It is categorically the worst apartment complex any 1ls have lived in the past 5 years. A few years ago a 1l who lived on the third floor was in the shower. Some guy broke into his apartment, stole his laptop a week before finals and left. While he was in the shower. The only place I've heard that happen is in pinnacle. Plus bugs everywhere, terrible management, etc. No one who lived in pinnacle as a 1l stayed. Literally no one. Go anywhere else. The lofts, trinity commons, parc at university tower are all much better options.
This was the year before this one actually and he was on the first floor. I like Pinnacle, but I would also never live on the first floor here. Durham actually has a surprising amount of crime, so I think it had more to do with the fact that the neighborhood wasn't closing the gate at night at the time and the apartment was on the first floor. Another great thing about living on the third floor--no bugs. I've heard people complain about the bug situation on the first floor.

Also, I wanted to comment on the bolded. I'd say about half of us stayed for 2L. I'm moving out for 3L and could not convince some people to move neighborhoods even for bigger closet space and cheaper rent. haha

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Fri May 20, 2016 12:11 pm

no_desk wrote: Yeah that makes sense. Where would you recommend then? I'm going to be down in the area next week, so I'm trying to narrow down exactly which places to visit and get a good look at.
Be sure to check hotpads and zillow. The search features are great and can give you an idea of what you can get for the price in the area (outside of just apartment complexes). Also, if you have your net-ID, be sure to check out DukeList.Duke.edu, and register for offcampushousing.duke.edu. Two great resources and you will find sublets, apartment listings, and even townhouses or houses that are really affordable and accessible to campus but might not be listed on hotpads or zillow (Literally found the house that my SO and I will be living in my second day on OffCampusHousing, and it's like 5 minutes from the law school). If you are looking for roommates, the FB page has a spreadsheet with folks already looking for roommates as well as upper level students looking to sublease or add a roommate.

no_desk

New

Post by no_desk » Fri May 20, 2016 4:37 pm

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:16 am

Last edited by SplitMyPants on Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoolapplicant92

New

Post by lawschoolapplicant92 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:14 pm

Anyone know how long it takes for Americorps education awards to process?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

legit

Bronze

Post by legit » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:58 am

Post removed.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:08 pm

Last edited by lymenheimer on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

intlsplitr

Bronze

Post by intlsplitr » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:11 pm

Recent alum. Had Jones for Civ Pro. I liked her. You wont learn Erie (which is odd; you can learn it during Fed Courts, but you are at a disadvantage). She definitely played favorites within the class. Other than that I think she was a good teacher. The material isnt straight forward at first, but she took it slowly and made sure everyone was keeping up. She was also very helpful during office hours. The exam was stock standard for Duke.

Didnt have the others, so I cant comment.

nahmjun

New

Post by nahmjun » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:45 pm

Hey guys

Random 1L from Columbia dropping by.

I was wondering if any of you had advice/info on Con Law for Professor Purdy, who's teaching at my school this year.

I'd appreciate any info. Thx

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:41 am

I see that around 13% of grads stay in NC. is it safe to assume that ~all of them got NC biglaw? also, how strong is DC placement (as in how hard is it to get DC biglaw relative to peer schools)? I'll have more questions later since I'm strongly considering Duke! :D

gerrydawg

Bronze

Post by gerrydawg » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:00 pm

proteinshake wrote:I see that around 13% of grads stay in NC. is it safe to assume that ~all of them got NC biglaw? also, how strong is DC placement (as in how hard is it to get DC biglaw relative to peer schools)? I'll have more questions later since I'm strongly considering Duke! :D
Current 3L here headed to NY biglaw. Duke places well in DC (I could've gone there). If you look at the ABA required employment disclosures (https://law.duke.edu/career/employmentdata/), DC has been the 2nd and 3rd most popular place for graduates in the last three years (with NY always leading, and both NC and CA in the mix). Not all of those grads are in Biglaw in DC (I know some who go to gov't), but it's totally possible to get DC biglaw if you do well. DC's a very competitive market, but I know plenty of people who got biglaw there.

I'm not too familiar with the % of students who stay in NC and get biglaw. I know that it isn't as easy as it sounds- you have to show them that you want to really be in NC and they're not just going to throw offers at you because you're coming from Duke if you can't convince them that you plan on staying in NC and/or have real ties there.

Hope this helps.

premalone

New

Post by premalone » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:06 pm

Can anyone describe what the quality of life is like at Duke? How is the social scene, are people generally happy or stressed, what kinds of things are students involved with outside of the law school? I plan to visit next semester to get a good grasp of the atmosphere, but wanted to know firsthand from some students!

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:30 am

premalone wrote:Can anyone describe what the quality of life is like at Duke? How is the social scene, are people generally happy or stressed, what kinds of things are students involved with outside of the law school? I plan to visit next semester to get a good grasp of the atmosphere, but wanted to know firsthand from some students!
I'm not a transfer or anything, so I have no other experience with other schools except ASWs and what I read on here. However, in my experience, the atmosphere of the student body and the law school is just about the best that I could have hoped for in a school. I think, though there are the typical stressors associated with any law school, the student body is generally pretty happy. All the students are friendly and collegial. There's a great social scene. However, I think whether you're more of a homebody or more someone trying to go out every night, you'll find people who feel similarly—Duke does not attract any one type of person. Durham is also a great size city for law school—plenty of stuff to do for three years without being too distracting.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”