UNC Law student(s) taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bubc

New

Re: UNC Law student(s) taking questions

Post by bubc » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:20 pm

jackattack17 wrote:
bubc wrote:How difficult is it to obtain summer internships in NY/NJ/DC? I'm from the northeast and plan on working there (or in DC) after I graduate. I love everything I've read about UNC, but I'm a bit wary of attending a law school so distant from where I ultimately want to work.

Also, do you find the UNC "brand" carries well outside of NC?

Thanks in advance!
It's not terribly difficult to get to NY/DC from UNC. I think those are the next two most popular destinations for grads after NC. Might have to do a little more legwork on your own, but a couple dozen NY/DC firms come to OCIs. If you're from there, that helps a little too.

As for the brand, obviously it carries extremely well in NC, pretty well in ATL/DC/NY and the southeast generally. Nationally, not particularly great, but having a good basketball team most years helps with that :) . Folks that leave the southeast usually have ties to where they're going.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions (currently a 2L).

Thanks! That does help. I know that UNC places second in DC, but it doesn't seem to place well in NYC, but I suppose I could always work my contacts to go there. Another question: I plan on doing government/public interest/public service after law school. How is UNC in placing grads into those sorts of positions, particularly in the areas I want to work (NY/DC)? I know I can always look at statistics (which I have), but I am interested to hear the perspective of a current student.

On an unrelated note, how is the student body in general? (friendly, unfriendly, chill, boring, etc...) I understand answer will vary based on who is answering, but I figured I'd ask since I'm curious.

Once again, thanks in advance!

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:51 pm

bubc wrote: Thanks! That does help. I know that UNC places second in DC, but it doesn't seem to place well in NYC, but I suppose I could always work my contacts to go there. Another question: I plan on doing government/public interest/public service after law school. How is UNC in placing grads into those sorts of positions, particularly in the areas I want to work (NY/DC)? I know I can always look at statistics (which I have), but I am interested to hear the perspective of a current student.

On an unrelated note, how is the student body in general? (friendly, unfriendly, chill, boring, etc...) I understand answer will vary based on who is answering, but I figured I'd ask since I'm curious.

Once again, thanks in advance!
I agree with what Jack said about DC and NYC—I and a pretty hefty handful will be in DC this summer, and I know several people who will be in NYC. Many of those, including myself, are going into public interest/govt work. UNC is a really good school for someone interested in those areas, as we have particularly strong pro bono and public interest programs and I think a relatively high percentage of alumni who go into public interest. I would think that that alumni network would be helpful, although I got my federal agency job for this coming summer without help from alumni.

As for the student body: I haven't gone to any other school, so it's hard to compare, but I've found my classmates to be pretty nice. There's hardly anyone here that I dislike. I definitely wouldn't call them boring; I have a feeling that the existence of Franklin Street at least crossed the minds of a lot of people here when they were making their decision. So I would say: friendly, chill, non-boring.

racrfish

Bronze

Post by racrfish » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:21 pm

Last edited by racrfish on Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bashy

Bronze

Post by Bashy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:57 am

racrfish wrote:Resurrecting this thread to ask-- I see we don't get schedules/book lists until the week before classes start, which sucks! When do we find out which group we're in?

Also, I see three days listed for orientation-- is it honestly three days of orientation or is each day for each of the groups? I can't imagine what we'd do for three days.
Last year, we got our college (Aycock, Brandis, Coates) around August 14th.

Orientation is three days for everyone. It's pretty slow. However, you'll get to mean your Dean's Fellows (student mentors, essentially) and your small section professor.

lsatnoob

New

Post by lsatnoob » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:14 pm

Would anyone be willing to describe the 1L class schedule? I'm not looking for exact times but would like to get an idea of what time/days class usually meets (eg. 9-4 M-F). TYIA :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tianziwansui

New

Post by tianziwansui » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:14 pm

lsatnoob wrote:Would anyone be willing to describe the 1L class schedule? I'm not looking for exact times but would like to get an idea of what time/days class usually meets (eg. 9-4 M-F). TYIA :D
Oh, BTW I saw you asked about what a class schedule is like...

This was my schedule Fall 1L to give you an example.

M
RRWA 845-1010
Civil Procedure 10:55-11:50
Torts (My small section class) 2:35-3:50

T
Crim Law 845-10:00
Civ Pro 1055-1150
Torts 235-350

W
Crim Law 845-1000
Civ Pro 1055-1150

Th
RRWA 845-1010
Civ Pro 1055-1150
Torts 235-350

F
Crim Law 845-1010

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:55 am

Hi all. I'll bump this thread. I'm a rising 3L at UNC and I've got a week off between my split summer. I can answer any questions you've got about UNC or North Carolina in general. Feel free to ask on here or PM me.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:14 am

Do you have any idea how UNC places in-or-around PA? Is it a big enough name?

Pepper91

New

Post by Pepper91 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:34 pm

It doesn't place really well, but that's not to say it can't be done. Does well in state. A little bit better in the southeast if you have ties. Outside of that, I haven't really heard anything too positive. I know folks who are working from NY or Chicago, but they blew it out of the park and have local ties. The market seems to be somewhat on an upswing, so that helps.

Source: Just graduated from UNC currently procrastinating studying for the bar

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Serett

Post by Serett » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:41 am

Are you guys sad you'll never win the NCAA Tournament while students or just happy to dodge the death penalty?

irish921

New

Post by irish921 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:45 am

Did Ol' Roy know?

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:20 am

Serett wrote:Are you guys sad you'll never win the NCAA Tournament while students or just happy to dodge the death penalty?
The salt is palpable. I'm guessing either a Duke student or an NCSU alum?

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:22 am

irish921 wrote:Did Ol' Roy know?
Nah man. That's why the NCAA removed football and men's basketball from the amended Notice of Allegations. Can't punish what you can't prove. 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fishpaste1

Bronze

Post by fishpaste1 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:57 pm

Serett wrote:Are you guys sad you'll never win the NCAA Tournament while students or just happy to dodge the death penalty?
Aww, how cute.. Are you sad that your program will regress to Wake Forest levels once Coach Rat retires?

Serett

Post by Serett » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:35 pm

fishpaste1 wrote:
Aww, how cute.. Are you sad that your program will regress to Wake Forest levels once Coach Rat retires?
[youtube]L7FFJUz0tdo[/youtube]

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:34 am

Bumping a super old thread...because I'm petty and because The TAR HEELS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Serett

Post by Serett » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:39 am

hipcatdaddio wrote:
Bumping a super old thread...because I'm petty and because The TAR HEELS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.
Now the fun is whether it's vacated before the current 1Ls graduate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Post by hipcatdaddio » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:07 pm

Serett wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:
If the NC DOT was smart, they'd store all the salt that's being exuded from Durham and Raleigh this week and use it when winter hits.

Serett

Post by Serett » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:11 pm

hipcatdaddio wrote:
Serett wrote:
hipcatdaddio wrote:
If the NC DOT was smart, they'd store all the salt that's being exuded from Durham and Raleigh this week and use it when winter hits.
NC doesn't have winters, so it'd be the perfect amount.

Notmyname1023

New

Post by Notmyname1023 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:40 pm

Ive read a lot about the academic and employment opportunities but I am curious about some of the social experiences UNC offers? Like some schools do mixers with other masters programs at the school like business or med ? Or what are some good social events to get to know people?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”