UNC Law student(s) taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
alvastarr

New

Re: UNC Law student(s) taking questions

Post by alvastarr » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:34 pm

i realize my question probably doesn't apply to many people here, but maybe you 1Ls hear things. i will be attending this fall and have a toddler. baity hill seemed like a good option for our family, as it was reasonably priced (when you consider all the utilities included) and extremely convenient to the law school. it's not a place i've heard anyone mention, though, so i'm wondering if that's just because it only appeals to families? or are there other factors that the locals have in mind?

Giantsfan13

New

Post by Giantsfan13 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:04 pm

alvastarr wrote:i realize my question probably doesn't apply to many people here, but maybe you 1Ls hear things. i will be attending this fall and have a toddler. baity hill seemed like a good option for our family, as it was reasonably priced (when you consider all the utilities included) and extremely convenient to the law school. it's not a place i've heard anyone mention, though, so i'm wondering if that's just because it only appeals to families? or are there other factors that the locals have in mind?
I looked into that too, but the place I ended up at is cheaper and has more sq feet. I didn't like how small and expensive those were

We have a ton of stuff that we got from our wedding and after touring those I knew there was no way our stuff would fit.
Last edited by Giantsfan13 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:54 am

BECKER5006 wrote:Silly question - How do UNC law students dress for class (business casual, jeans, sweats...)? I'm trying to get a feel for what kind of atmosphere I can expect at UNC. Thanks! :D
I find it no different than going to a public undergrad. You can wear whatever the heck you want, and no one (other than the fashionistas, I guess) is going to care. The only difference is that come January and February you see a bunch of people running around in suits b/c they have interviews.

You can never go wrong with Carolina gear. :D

Giantsfan13

New

Post by Giantsfan13 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:10 pm

Does anyone know why they wait until June to make the Facebook Page?

alvastarr

New

Post by alvastarr » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:55 pm

Giantsfan13 wrote:
alvastarr wrote:i realize my question probably doesn't apply to many people here, but maybe you 1Ls hear things. i will be attending this fall and have a toddler. baity hill seemed like a good option for our family, as it was reasonably priced (when you consider all the utilities included) and extremely convenient to the law school. it's not a place i've heard anyone mention, though, so i'm wondering if that's just because it only appeals to families? or are there other factors that the locals have in mind?
I looked into that too, but the place I ended up at is cheaper and has more sq feet. I didn't like how small and expensive those were

We have a ton of stuff that we got from our wedding and after touring those I knew there was no way our stuff would fit.

i understand the space issue - we're coming from a 2000 sq ft house that we own! it's going to be an adjustment, but baity hill didn't seem so bad with utilities and a 5 minute commute (which is the biggest deal to me, with a baby). so i guess that's what i'm asking - is there something with an equally good location that's a better option? it is really hard being OOS and unable to explore.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Giantsfan13

New

Post by Giantsfan13 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:59 pm

alvastarr wrote:
Giantsfan13 wrote:

i understand the space issue - we're coming from a 2000 sq ft house that we own! it's going to be an adjustment, but baity hill didn't seem so bad with utilities and a 5 minute commute (which is the biggest deal to me, with a baby). so i guess that's what i'm asking - is there something with an equally good location that's a better option? it is really hard being OOS and unable to explore.

The place we chose was $620 a month with june and july free, not all utilities are included but I spoke to people who lived there and they said they par around $800 for everything. It is two bedrooms and two bathrooms and 1070 sq. feet.

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:14 am

Giantsfan13 wrote:
alvastarr wrote:
Giantsfan13 wrote:

The place we chose was $620 a month with june and july free, not all utilities are included but I spoke to people who lived there and they said they par around $800 for everything. It is two bedrooms and two bathrooms and 1070 sq. feet.
I don't know if you're talking about $620 per person or total (I hope it's per person or I did a terrible job in my apartment search), but I've got a 3-bedroom 2.5-bath in Finley Forest, 1550 square feet, for $1200/month ($400 per person). It's a little way down 54 but pretty convenient by bus. The commute will probably be about 20-25 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the afternoon.

Giantsfan13

New

Post by Giantsfan13 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:43 pm

I don't know if you're talking about $620 per person or total (I hope it's per person or I did a terrible job in my apartment search), but I've got a 3-bedroom 2.5-bath in Finley Forest, 1550 square feet, for $1200/month ($400 per person). It's a little way down 54 but pretty convenient by bus. The commute will probably be about 20-25 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the afternoon.[/quote]

It is total. I took two days and went and looked at evry singel place in the area. and this place was the best.

diegoforlan10

Bronze

Post by diegoforlan10 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:34 pm

So, is that it for acceptances then? The rest of us are doomed to getting waitlisted or rejected?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Giantsfan13

New

Post by Giantsfan13 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:58 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:So, is that it for acceptances then? The rest of us are doomed to getting waitlisted or rejected?
This is probably a question to call and ask the admissions office.

el William

New

Post by el William » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:59 pm

diegoforlan10 wrote:So, is that it for acceptances then? The rest of us are doomed to getting waitlisted or rejected?
i dont think all the acceptances are out yet. There is some pretty good info/speculation on this in the UNC2015 thread under acceptances waitlists denials

alvastarr

New

Post by alvastarr » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:56 pm

finley forest looks like a good location to me, plus it's close to the friday center (i have a 10-month little girl). the park's commute is just more than i want to take on in the mornings, but thanks for the heads-up. it does seem like a good price for the sq footage.

Giantsfan13

New

Post by Giantsfan13 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:21 am

Hello,

My laptop just broke and I am trying to decide which would be better to buy to use for law school and such.

I am debating between one of the apple laptops and the new IPAD.

Does anyone have any suggestions or insights.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:25 am

Giantsfan13 wrote:Hello,

My laptop just broke and I am trying to decide which would be better to buy to use for law school and such.

I am debating between one of the apple laptops and the new IPAD.

Does anyone have any suggestions or insights.
I've never used an iPad before but I do like my Macbook. I've seen maybe three or so people around the school with the iPad and a little keyboard hooked in. The chances of one of them seeing this is probably pretty rare, so it might be in your best interest to ask this on a more general law school forum where there are more people to answer. G'luck

alvastarr

New

Post by alvastarr » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Is the CCI program open to law students? And if so, does anyone have experience with the Lenovos vs. Macbook Pros? I noticed on last year's thread, people had software issues with Macs, but supposedly this was going to be resolved.

Giantsfan13

New

Post by Giantsfan13 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:52 pm

alvastarr wrote:Is the CCI program open to law students? And if so, does anyone have experience with the Lenovos vs. Macbook Pros? I noticed on last year's thread, people had software issues with Macs, but supposedly this was going to be resolved.

My dad works for IBM, so I have only ever had a lenovo or thinkpad. I love them. But mine did just crash . . again.

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:09 pm

alvastarr wrote:Is the CCI program open to law students? And if so, does anyone have experience with the Lenovos vs. Macbook Pros? I noticed on last year's thread, people had software issues with Macs, but supposedly this was going to be resolved.
Yes, I'm pretty sure it's open to any UNC student. I have a Mac and have had no troubles, and I don't personally know anyone who has. They did get us to download a new version of the Bluebook last semester b/c I think there might have been issues with the old one, but... again, I've had no problems with mine and haven't heard from anyone who has.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:06 pm

yes. I personally bought a Lenovo from the program and it was a better deal with the 3 year coverage than it would have been to buy one at an off-campus store. However, buyer beware--er, should I say caveat emptor :mrgreen:--the students working in the bookstore are NOT knowledgeable. They tried to sell me a four year plan, and argued that there was not a three year plan, until I pointed out the three year plan on their flier. They also lied and said the computer would come in 1-2 weeks after I ordered it in the beginning of August. I didn't get my computer until after Labor Day.

Looking back that type of stuff was not a big deal, because the computer was a good deal. But the bookstore is very hard to deal with.

el William

New

Post by el William » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:20 pm

Did any of you get accepted to UNC off the waitlist (or know of anyone who did?) If so do you have any tips on working your way off the waitlist and into an acceptance.

I love UNC. I love In-state tuition. But i do not love being on the waitlist :(

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:32 pm

el William wrote:Did any of you get accepted to UNC off the waitlist (or know of anyone who did?) If so do you have any tips on working your way off the waitlist and into an acceptance.

I know lots of people who got in off the waitlist in June-ish, after all the deposits were due. From what those people told me, they were mostly splitters. I was a big reverse splitter, and from what I can tell UNC likes a high GPA. I'd take this information with a grain of salt, but if you really want UNC, there is a chance of getting in off the waitlist.

el William

New

Post by el William » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:54 pm

DeeCee wrote:
el William wrote:Did any of you get accepted to UNC off the waitlist (or know of anyone who did?) If so do you have any tips on working your way off the waitlist and into an acceptance.

I know lots of people who got in off the waitlist in June-ish, after all the deposits were due. From what those people told me, they were mostly splitters. I was a big reverse splitter, and from what I can tell UNC likes a high GPA. I'd take this information with a grain of salt, but if you really want UNC, there is a chance of getting in off the waitlist.

Just a quick update. I got accepted at UNC on Thursday, probably one of the last in the "1st round" since LSN shows that a lot of other people got WL around the same time.

As per UNC's preference for high GPA, my numbers were 162/3.4 IS, but my degree GPA was 3.9. I really think that UNC is truthful when they say they evaluate applicants on more qualities than just your numerical stats. This seemed to work in my favor, as they probably (my assumptions here) liked the HUGE upward grade trend after my first year and the 6+ years of WE I got during and after undergrad. So these might be things to keep in mind if you are on the waitlist and are submitting LOCI's.

Just thought I would share in case this helps anyone who really wants to get into UNC from the waitlist. I am by no means an expert but this has been my 0L experience.

Good luck to all!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Judphud

New

Post by Judphud » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:28 am

Can any of the current UNC students comment on motorcycle policy at the law school? I know parking spots are highly limited and essentially off limits to 1Ls. Are there areas where people can park their motorcycles that are not...well...how to say this, real parking spots? I am moving to Durham and will have to commute. At my current job, there's zero parking availability so I get to park my motorcycle on the front patio next to the bicycles. Just wondering whether I can circumvent the 45-60 minute bus ride each way.
I just paid my seat deposit, so it's a done-deal for me.

cass1230

New

Post by cass1230 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:40 am

Any current 3Ls or maybe even 2Ls know the possibilities of finding jobs outside of North Carolina? I don't mind living there a few years after law school but I also don't want my options narrowed by going here...

cass1230

New

Post by cass1230 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:43 am

el William wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

Just a quick update. I got accepted at UNC on Thursday, probably one of the last in the "1st round" since LSN shows that a lot of other people got WL around the same time.

As per UNC's preference for high GPA, my numbers were 162/3.4 IS, but my degree GPA was 3.9. I really think that UNC is truthful when they say they evaluate applicants on more qualities than just your numerical stats. This seemed to work in my favor, as they probably (my assumptions here) liked the HUGE upward grade trend after my first year and the 6+ years of WE I got during and after undergrad. So these might be things to keep in mind if you are on the waitlist and are submitting LOCI's.

Just thought I would share in case this helps anyone who really wants to get into UNC from the waitlist. I am by no means an expert but this has been my 0L experience.

Good luck to all!
they DEFINITELY take a holistic approach...my GPA and LSAT were both below median (158/3.3) and i'm OOS yet somehow someway, and trust me i'm grateful, i got in as of last friday...update your resumes with any new information and get transcripts out asap! and good luck :D

YouDontKnowMe

Bronze

Post by YouDontKnowMe » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:07 pm

Judphud wrote:Can any of the current UNC students comment on motorcycle policy at the law school? I know parking spots are highly limited and essentially off limits to 1Ls. Are there areas where people can park their motorcycles that are not...well...how to say this, real parking spots? I am moving to Durham and will have to commute. At my current job, there's zero parking availability so I get to park my motorcycle on the front patio next to the bicycles. Just wondering whether I can circumvent the 45-60 minute bus ride each way.
I just paid my seat deposit, so it's a done-deal for me.
If the bus ride is that long, you might be able to get a hardship parking pass. You might want to call the school--maybe student services (only because I can't think of who would know specifically about this). Their contact info is here http://www.law.unc.edu/studentlife/stud ... fault.aspx

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”