Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
GoneSouth

Bronze

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Post by GoneSouth » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:01 pm

dabigchina wrote:
GoneSouth wrote: Changing the subject, anyone learned anything else about the new guy they hired?
I feel like they've stopped sending out clerkship emails. That's the only thing I've really noticed since he came on board.

edit: jk we are still getting them. I did notice that they moved the Clerkship office under SJI. That makes no sense to me. I've only ever had shitty experiences with SJI so I question how that reorg is supposed to make the clerkship office better.
Eh I think it kinda makes sense since SJI handles 1Ls seeking judicial internships I think. Also maybe it will allow him to focus on clerkships, I feel like Anne Green had to worry about a bunch of other random Student Services stuff.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:07 pm

GoneSouth wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
GoneSouth wrote: Changing the subject, anyone learned anything else about the new guy they hired?
I feel like they've stopped sending out clerkship emails. That's the only thing I've really noticed since he came on board.

edit: jk we are still getting them. I did notice that they moved the Clerkship office under SJI. That makes no sense to me. I've only ever had shitty experiences with SJI so I question how that reorg is supposed to make the clerkship office better.
Eh I think it kinda makes sense since SJI handles 1Ls seeking judicial internships I think. Also maybe it will allow him to focus on clerkships, I feel like Anne Green had to worry about a bunch of other random Student Services stuff.
I feel like the clerkship office shouldn't be under either student services or SJI. I might be wrong, but I don't think OCS is under a larger umbrella organization?

eta: I also hope they arent making the clerkship office handle 1L externships. That would be a silly use of already scarce resources.
Last edited by dabigchina on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:07 pm

What were your negative experiences with SJI?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:09 pm

Nebby wrote:What were your negative experiences with SJI?
They fucked up my tax withholding for my 1L summer. Took weeks of going back and forth to get them to talk to payroll to fix the situation.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:52 pm

GoneSouth wrote:
dabigchina wrote:

Yup, Annie had to (1) be an academic advisor in Student Services alongside the other two and (2) manage the whole journal selection process, while also running the federal appellate externship every semester and being the clerkship office. Just by virtue of giving the new guy only clerkships and the appellate externship and hiring a new academic advisor to do the other things (I believe that's the plan), they've improved the situation. I actually think that if they really wanted to get serious, the clerkship office should be an entity at the same tier as OCS and SJI rather than underneath one of them, though it would obviously be smaller than either of those.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:57 pm

jb111 wrote:I've had an up and down cycle, but right now I'm basically in the position that I expected to be in: Evaluating similar, small scholarships of ~75k (over 3 years) at both CLS & NYU and riding out the waitlist at Harvard.

So...

I enjoyed the vibe of CLS slightly more when I went to the NYU/CLS admit days a couple weeks ago, I'm uncertain about my long term plans but fairly certain biglaw will be a part of them, I'm vaguely drawn to Ivy league prestige, I like the idea of a campus within a city... Not sure what else is relevant.

Just want to check in a last time before I make my deposit. You guys/gals like it here for the most part? No dark secrets being hidden away? I should definitely deposit at NYU instead if ____ ?
Nope, no secrets. The stuff you see getting hashed out in this thread is about as bad as it gets. For the most part it's a fantastic place to go to school, and all the attributes you mentioned are reasons why I personally think it's superior to NYU (or at least a better fit for me when I was making the choice). It's always true that NYU has slightly more resources for PI and some people do take that into account, but because you sound pretty comfortable starting in biglaw, I think CLS is a great fit.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:30 am

jb111 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:There is no universe where going to CLS at sticker makes sense when you have a $75,000 scholarship at NYU. Sorry :/
~75k at both. Sorry if that wasn't clear. So if that's the objection, I guess I'm in the clear :)
At equal cost I would go to Columbia. Unless you have some compelling reason to prefer NYU.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:08 pm

To the extent anyone could know, do most seminar professors stick to the published curve, or is it highly dependent on the professor?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:54 pm

White Dwarf wrote:To the extent anyone could know, do most seminar professors stick to the published curve, or is it highly dependent on the professor?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the published curve includes externships, which skews the results towards having more A's? I don't think the actual curve is as generous as generous as the published curve would imply.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:06 pm

dabigchina wrote:
White Dwarf wrote:To the extent anyone could know, do most seminar professors stick to the published curve, or is it highly dependent on the professor?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the published curve includes externships, which skews the results towards having more A's? I don't think the actual curve is as generous as generous as the published curve would imply.
Pretty sure externships are ungraded, just pass/fail?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:13 pm

RSN wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
The grade guidelines say they apply to externships. That reads to me like there are some externships that are graded. I have no idea though.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:44 pm

RSN wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
Some grade the seminar/classroom part and then the "fieldwork" is ungraded. Depends on the externship.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palalc

New

Post by palalc » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:34 am

Will Columbia allow law students to waive/refund the health insurance fee if they are already insured through another plan or <26 and therefore still on a parent's plan?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Burlington4174

New

Post by Burlington4174 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:08 am

palalc wrote:Will Columbia allow law students to waive/refund the health insurance fee if they are already insured through another plan or <26 and therefore still on a parent's plan?
Yes.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:51 am

I'll just be specific since it's probably impossible to answer otherwise. Does anyone have experience with the grading for Trial Practice? We've done zero written work this semester. It should probably be a pass/fail class.

erwuxvcm

New

Post by erwuxvcm » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:46 pm

Anyone willing to pm me a syllabus or two from their 1L classes? Curious to look at what the general reading load would look like. I get that this will vary from professor to professor, but just curious to look.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:03 pm

White Dwarf wrote:I'll just be specific since it's probably impossible to answer otherwise. Does anyone have experience with the grading for Trial Practice? We've done zero written work this semester. It should probably be a pass/fail class.
That's just graded based on a mock trial right? My buddy got an A in it last sem. He seemed to have sunk a decent amount of time into prepping for it though. I don't remember him complaining about the curve.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

2020throwaway

New

Post by 2020throwaway » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:08 pm

DC and CA placement, NYU vs Columbia? any difference? negligible?

Does an internship or externship in AUSA office translate nationwide? Is this helpful for resume? or is the benefit somewhat limited to an area? Assuming that SDNY/EDNY have some national significance?

currently deciding between the schools, don't know what to go off. seems like NYU has more clinics, public interest alumni base, broader range of opportunities?

If one has an interest in becoming an AUSA, how do clinical offerings vs. name cache of school play a role in making a decision?
Last edited by 2020throwaway on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

2020throwaway

New

Post by 2020throwaway » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:10 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
jb111 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:There is no universe where going to CLS at sticker makes sense when you have a $75,000 scholarship at NYU. Sorry :/
~75k at both. Sorry if that wasn't clear. So if that's the objection, I guess I'm in the clear :)
At equal cost I would go to Columbia. Unless you have some compelling reason to prefer NYU.
Can you explain this? I've seen this sentiment from you in various place. Would a light or moderate interest in consumer rights or impact litigation be a compelling reason to prefer NYU?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:32 pm

2020throwaway wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
jb111 wrote:
Can you explain this? I've seen this sentiment from you in various place. Would a light or moderate interest in consumer rights or impact litigation be a compelling reason to prefer NYU?
I don't know about "compelling." Especially if its at best described as "a light or moderate interest." I don't think it weighs much in favor of one school or the other. I recognize there's an ongoing debate about NYU as more focused on public interest jobs, but I've never found that to have much foundation aside from the RTK scholars program and self-selection.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:37 pm

This is anecdotal, but just about every non-NYU grad I've met who works in PI is extremely dubious about the school's supposed "PI Focus", particularly if you want to work on the prosecution side. It's a running joke at one of the DA's offices I interned at.

The gap there between NYU and Columbia doesn't seem to be what it's made out to be.
Last edited by White Dwarf on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:40 pm

dabigchina wrote:
White Dwarf wrote:I'll just be specific since it's probably impossible to answer otherwise. Does anyone have experience with the grading for Trial Practice? We've done zero written work this semester. It should probably be a pass/fail class.
That's just graded based on a mock trial right? My buddy got an A in it last sem. He seemed to have sunk a decent amount of time into prepping for it though. I don't remember him complaining about the curve.
Yeah, but our professor was switching between 3 simultaneous trials and missed all of my parts except for a (mediocre) ~60 second re-direct of a witness. Hoping my grade doesn't come down to that...

Stay-at-Home Son

New

Post by Stay-at-Home Son » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:42 pm

erwuxvcm wrote:Anyone willing to pm me a syllabus or two from their 1L classes? Curious to look at what the general reading load would look like. I get that this will vary from professor to professor, but just curious to look.
+1

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:52 pm

NYU has more PI students, but its PI placement power is the same as CLS.

Bach-City

Bronze

Post by Bach-City » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:58 pm

Last edited by Bach-City on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”