Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
RSN

Silver

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Post by RSN » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:37 pm

Nebby wrote:Jackson is the frontrunner for the open Dem spot on the SEC.
For real? Was wondering why he was scheduled to come back this semester and then just disappeared.

ETA: Oh yeah, damn: https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-eyes ... 1501271290, http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-s ... SKBN19J2ZL

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:42 am

When does the money got disbursed into our bank accounts?

Legal methods is starting soon, we're going to need to buy the textbooks and I still got nada although on my SSOL it shows that there should be a credit amount....

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:47 am

Thelaw23 wrote:When does the money got disbursed into our bank accounts?

Legal methods is starting soon, we're going to need to buy the textbooks and I still got nada although on my SSOL it shows that there should be a credit amount....
Usually after school starts because nothing is fair in the world

SpikeSeagull

New

Post by SpikeSeagull » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:27 pm

Did y'all tell Columbia your bank account # so they could disburse it to you? A little confused as to how I actually get my loan $$$--the website says it's "credited directly to your student account," but how do I access that money to buy books and pay rent? Just transfer it to my regular bank account online?

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:18 pm

SpikeSeagull wrote:Did y'all tell Columbia your bank account # so they could disburse it to you? A little confused as to how I actually get my loan $$$--the website says it's "credited directly to your student account," but how do I access that money to buy books and pay rent? Just transfer it to my regular bank account online?
Once it's credited to your student account it will be deposited in your bank account automatically in 2-4ish days if you set up direct deposit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:35 pm

SpikeSeagull wrote:Did y'all tell Columbia your bank account # so they could disburse it to you? A little confused as to how I actually get my loan $$$--the website says it's "credited directly to your student account," but how do I access that money to buy books and pay rent? Just transfer it to my regular bank account online?
You have to set up direct deposit on https://ssol.columbia.edu/

SpikeSeagull

New

Post by SpikeSeagull » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Nebby wrote:
You have to set up direct deposit on https://ssol.columbia.edu/
Thanks! Will do.

bleepbloop11

New

Post by bleepbloop11 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:21 pm

Would anyone have any information on Harcourt as a Legal Methods Prof (or in general)? I have heard about the other professors but not much about him.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:24 pm

I got an email two days ago that my refund is processed. It shows the same on my student account, and I have my direct deposit set up. Still nothing on my account, though... I'm guessing it takes a couple of days to go through?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:I got an email two days ago that my refund is processed. It shows the same on my student account, and I have my direct deposit set up. Still nothing on my account, though... I'm guessing it takes a couple of days to go through?
Yeah. Don't expect it until next week. (hopefully Monday)

palalc

New

Post by palalc » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Can anyone offer any insight into this year's Legal Method profs and what to expect in their classes? Particularly Bobbit? How is his LM class in relation to others?

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:27 pm

palalc wrote:Can anyone offer any insight into this year's Legal Method profs and what to expect in their classes? Particularly Bobbit? How is his LM class in relation to others?
Didn't have Bobbitt, but the reputation is that his class is chill AF, even by Legal Methods standards. Regardless of who you have, make sure to go out multiple times a week (and/or to student org orientation events). Hard to stress how little Legal Methods matters -- much much more important to be meeting people than nailing your cold calls (which you probably won't anyway even if you read).

FastRun

New

Post by FastRun » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:56 am

bleepbloop11 wrote:Would anyone have any information on Harcourt as a Legal Methods Prof (or in general)? I have heard about the other professors but not much about him.
Harcourt didn't teach Legal Methods last year (so none of the current 2Ls had him), which may be why you haven't heard much about him. All I know about his Legal Methods class is that he makes a reader instead of using a textbook, and uses it to cover a wide variety of reading assignments that aren't typical of other 1L classes (philosophy, English literature, critical theory, etc.). I've met a few 3Ls who had him and they seem to have liked him.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:32 am

What are the odds we actually get our schedules today?

palalc

New

Post by palalc » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:45 am

Civ Pro - Lee
Con Law - Hamburger
Contracts - Emens

Any advice? Best Supplements? Etc.?

oh hello

New

Post by oh hello » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:35 pm

Would 15 credits plus a secondary journal be too much? Alternative would be 13.

kingpin101

Bronze

Post by kingpin101 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:17 pm

This may be a long shot but has anyone registered successfully for a non-language undergrad course? Is it even possible to get credit for them?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ugg

Diamond

Post by ugg » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:35 pm

can you all advise me on whether i should drop one of my black letter classes? i can't sign up for any waitlists until i do so bc 15 cred. i'm somewhat worried corporations + admin at the time time will be too much, but maybe not because my other classes aren't black letter?

i have so far
corporations
admin
gender justice
journal
externship

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:47 pm

ugg wrote:can you all advise me on whether i should drop one of my black letter classes? i can't sign up for any waitlists until i do so bc 15 cred. i'm somewhat worried corporations + admin at the time time will be too much, but maybe not because my other classes aren't black letter?

i have so far
corporations
admin
gender justice
journal
externship
I think you'll be okay. Admin with Lester will be a lot of work, but I think Corporations is overrated in terms of difficulty. I came in with no background and found it fairly straightforward. The subject matter can actually be a nice break from the rest of your classes if you aren't taking anything else like it.

dreamandy

New

Post by dreamandy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:58 pm

So how does one get access to the outlines? Is there like a website with all of them? The ones on mapped drives seem at least a decade old..
-Confused 1L

kingpin101

Bronze

Post by kingpin101 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:05 pm

dreamandy wrote:So how does one get access to the outlines? Is there like a website with all of them? The ones on mapped drives seem at least a decade old..
-Confused 1L
Join organizations with current outline banks, or beg from friends.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:31 pm

White Dwarf wrote:
ugg wrote:can you all advise me on whether i should drop one of my black letter classes? i can't sign up for any waitlists until i do so bc 15 cred. i'm somewhat worried corporations + admin at the time time will be too much, but maybe not because my other classes aren't black letter?

i have so far
corporations
admin
gender justice
journal
externship
I think you'll be okay. Admin with Lester will be a lot of work, but I think Corporations is overrated in terms of difficulty. I came in with no background and found it fairly straightforward. The subject matter can actually be a nice break from the rest of your classes if you aren't taking anything else like it.
I thiught corps was a lot of work. But this should be okay depending on how time consuming your externship is

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:35 pm

dreamandy wrote:So how does one get access to the outlines? Is there like a website with all of them? The ones on mapped drives seem at least a decade old..
-Confused 1L
Peer mentors are a good resource, or were for me at least. But come on, at least wait until your first Legal Methods class to start asking around for outlines. You've been in law school for like 48 hours

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:27 pm

student94 wrote:Does anyone know what the selection timeline is for the Tony Patino Fellowship? I saw on their website that they have a day of interviews, but they never mention when that day is or when to expect to hear if you will be invited for that.
It appears to be the same day

stoopkid13

Bronze

Post by stoopkid13 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:49 pm

RSN wrote:
Nebby wrote:Jackson is the frontrunner for the open Dem spot on the SEC.
For real? Was wondering why he was scheduled to come back this semester and then just disappeared.

ETA: Oh yeah, damn: https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-eyes ... 1501271290, http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-s ... SKBN19J2ZL
Looks like Jackson got the spot: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-s ... BC3ED?il=0

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”