Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Nebby

Diamond

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Post by Nebby » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:43 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:I can go to the financial aid office and ask to increase my fed gov loan, right? I received my disclosure statement but I think I'm not receiving enough to cover my rent.

How fast are they usually able to process the loan adjustment and disburse the added amount?
A few weeks until it's in your account. Did you request the maximum amount?

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:53 am

Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:I can go to the financial aid office and ask to increase my fed gov loan, right? I received my disclosure statement but I think I'm not receiving enough to cover my rent.

How fast are they usually able to process the loan adjustment and disburse the added amount?
The total academic year budget on Columbia Law's website is higher than the total amount of loans I'm getting. Their forecasted nine-month room amount of 1350 a month though :? :?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:19 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:

The total academic year budget on Columbia Law's website is higher than the total amount of loans I'm getting. Their forecasted nine-month room amount of 1350 a month though :? :?
You can borrow up to the total academic year budget

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:46 am

Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:

But what about the loan fee amount? If you count that, it adds up to the total academic year budget. However, that amount isn't put towards anything written in the total academic year budget.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:51 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:

But what about the loan fee amount? If you count that, it adds up to the total academic year budget. However, that amount isn't put towards anything written in the total academic year budget.
I would call them. I don't remember how they treat the fee amount but I thought it was baked into the total cost of attendance as it's own line item

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:12 am

Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:

I would call them. I don't remember how they treat the fee amount but I thought it was baked into the total cost of attendance as it's own line item

Thanks. I called in and asked, and basically I can add the loan fee amount on top of the academic year budget if I need to.

student94

New

Post by student94 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:45 am

Does anyone know what the selection timeline is for the Tony Patino Fellowship? I saw on their website that they have a day of interviews, but they never mention when that day is or when to expect to hear if you will be invited for that.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:58 pm

How's the area around FDB and West 124th - West 126th street at night? Like 9pm - 11 pm? Was thinking about checking the gym out there but want the opportunity to be able to go late nights if needed.

jrc223

Bronze

Post by jrc223 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:04 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:How's the area around FDB and West 124th - West 126th street at night? Like 9pm - 11 pm? Was thinking about checking the gym out there but want the opportunity to be able to go late nights if needed.
Kind of sketch tbh -- if you're gonna go late, I'd go with a friend

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:09 pm

jrc223 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:How's the area around FDB and West 124th - West 126th street at night? Like 9pm - 11 pm? Was thinking about checking the gym out there but want the opportunity to be able to go late nights if needed.
Hmm
Gotcha. No other gyms really close by, other than NySC on west 96th but you gotta take the train to it. Maybe I'll just try get all my workouts in before 8 pm

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:10 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
jrc223 wrote:
Hmm
Gotcha. No other gyms really close by, other than NySC on west 96th but you gotta take the train to it. Maybe I'll just try get all my workouts in before 8 pm
It's not sketch. FDB and 125th is like the center of gentrification in Harlem.

anonymous117

Bronze

Post by anonymous117 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:07 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
jrc223 wrote:
Hmm
96th isn't that far. It's like less than a mile, so a quick walk or run down there. I tend to walk everywhere, but it's definitely within my "close enough to walk instead of train" radius. Plus, I've felt safe with that walk at any time of day.

As for 125th and FDB, I would feel fine there at night (and I'm a 5 foot tall woman), but I personally don't like walking through Morningside Park at night. I would feel comfortable taking the long route around to avoid the park though. It's like any other part of the city. Just be aware of your surroundings and you'll more than likely be fine.

jrc223

Bronze

Post by jrc223 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:45 pm

Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
jrc223 wrote:
Hmm
It's not sketch. FDB and 125th is like the center of gentrification in Harlem.
The walk to and from FDB and 125th is sketch to me, but clearly ymmv

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:33 pm

not sketch IMO, nebby is correct re primo gentrification. just don't be a bozo and walk at night while wearing headphones and looking down at your phone.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:19 pm

Depending on where you live and the route you take, the walk there and back can be a lot of empty streets at night and you're walking pretty close to the housing projects where like 100 gang members got arrested a couple years ago. Maybe sketch isn't the right word, and I do the walk back from the ACBD station there at all hours, but I can see some people being uncomfortable.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:35 pm

GoneSouth wrote:Depending on where you live and the route you take, the walk there and back can be a lot of empty streets at night and you're walking pretty close to the housing projects where like 100 gang members got arrested a couple years ago. Maybe sketch isn't the right word, and I do the walk back from the ACBD station there at all hours, but I can see some people being uncomfortable.
Those are on 128th and it was 40 arrested

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:37 pm

Harlem as a "sketch" place is an unfair characterization ingrained into people that live in Morningside Heights. I've ranted about this before so I'll save it this time

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:47 pm

Also, what's wrong with Dodge? It's not that bad so long as you don't go between 5pm to 7pm. Even then, just get huge and tell people you're working in with them :mrgreen:

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:06 am

Nebby wrote:Also, what's wrong with Dodge? It's not that bad so long as you don't go between 5pm to 7pm. Even then, just get huge and tell people you're working in with them :mrgreen:
I'm planning on trying out Dodge, it's literally a block from me, but I'm moving in tomorrow and I can't use it until we get our ids during orientation the 14th :x

I'm really skeptical, though. Dodge works only from 12-5 on Saturday :? D

I'm also on W120 and Amsterdam so my path to w125 would be up Amsterdam five blocks and then a few more to FDB

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:36 am

Nebby wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:Depending on where you live and the route you take, the walk there and back can be a lot of empty streets at night and you're walking pretty close to the housing projects where like 100 gang members got arrested a couple years ago. Maybe sketch isn't the right word, and I do the walk back from the ACBD station there at all hours, but I can see some people being uncomfortable.
Those are on 128th and it was 40 arrested
Wrong. The Grant Houses were part of the raid and those are at 123 and Amsterdam, right on the route back.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:42 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:Also, what's wrong with Dodge? It's not that bad so long as you don't go between 5pm to 7pm. Even then, just get huge and tell people you're working in with them :mrgreen:
I'm planning on trying out Dodge, it's literally a block from me, but I'm moving in tomorrow and I can't use it until we get our ids during orientation the 14th :x

I'm also on W120 and Amsterdam so my path to w125 would be up Amsterdam five blocks and then a few more to FDB
You can always hop on the M60 bus a couple stops if it's late and you don't want to do the walk.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:55 am

GoneSouth wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:

You can always hop on the M60 bus a couple stops if it's late and you don't want to do the walk.

Welp, problem solved.

jpark86

New

Post by jpark86 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:17 am

So I understand that we don't get our class schedules until orientatio, but typically, are there set courses that each student takes specifically in the fall semester vs. spring semester regardless of section? On the admitted students website it states that 1Ls take Civ Pro, Contracts and Torts during fall but looking through the course offerings on the website, I see Con Law and Property offered also... how can we figure out what subjects we would be taking?

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:47 am

jpark86 wrote:So I understand that we don't get our class schedules until orientation, but typically, are there set courses that each student takes specifically in the fall semester vs. spring semester regardless of section? On the admitted students website it states that 1Ls take Civ Pro, Contracts and Torts during fall but looking through the course offerings on the website, I see Con Law and Property offered also... how can we figure out what subjects we would be taking?
It varies. I think all 1Ls take Civ Pro in the fall and Crim in the spring, but Torts/Contracts/Property/Constitutional law vary depending on your section.

There's no way to know for sure until you get your schedule. But, going off of the course listings, it looks like most incoming 1Ls will get Contracts in the fall, Property in the spring, and be split 50/50 between Con Law and Torts each semester.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:12 am

Jackson is the frontrunner for the open Dem spot on the SEC.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”